* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:32 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS9Wqw4tZOQ

At just about the 1 minute mark is where it becomes gold

It's mostly instrumental. atmospheric, slower mellow tempo, sort of doomy and folky. Acoustic and electric guitar, enhanced with unobtrusive vocals including whispering, there's some piano. It's somber without being sad. (Though I am not necessarily looking for non-sad songs)

Do you know of anything like this?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:27 pm 

You'll love this! ;)

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:04 am 

Yes, yes I did. I've been meaning to hear that album for months now, and never got around to it. Looks like this is the push that confirms I'm really depriving myself and should hear it now.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:09 am 

If you're into that kind of sound you definitely have to check out Dissection, Sacramentum, Dawn and Azure (at least the debut).

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:22 pm 

To add to androdion's list, also do check out Ophthalamia's material. Really good underrated band.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:05 pm 

I approve of this thread.

Though Unanimated are more well known for "Ancient God of Evil", I recently bought the 1994 OOP of the aforementioned album (from a member here actually), and I think it's far better. I'd say out of all the bands that have been listed (that I've listened to at least), Dawn is probably your best bet in finding a similar listen. SlaughterSun or Naer Solen are the two that I've heard, both are pretty good.

Vinterland is pretty much straight up melodic black metal, and they only have one (godly) album. You'll probably enjoy this one either way, but it's much more atmospheric than the Unanimated release. Plus, it's not death metal! However, you stated that yo want "Acoustic and electric guitar, enhanced with unobtrusive vocals including whispering, there's some piano," and that PERFECTLY characterizes Vinterland's "Welcome My Last Chapter." There's keyboard throughout the album, and a lot of the time an acoustic guitar is playing alongside the overdriven electric guitar. It's very very somber, and I'd say quite depressing at parts.

Sacramentum's first two releases are really good melodic black metal, and then they just became a really aggressive melodic death/black metal band. Though that's pretty much what Unanimated is, "The Coming of Chaos" and "Thy Black Destiny" don't really sound that similar to "In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead". They build a pretty good atmosphere, but like I said, they're very aggressive and uptempo!

Dissection is an incredibly influential melodic death/black metal band, so you should give them a listen either way. They don't use piano, but at least for their first two albums, they use an extensive amount of acoustic/classical guitar. They usually have a lot of variety within their songs. Their third album... I didn't really like it, but you may.

You may want to check out A Canorous Quintet also, specifically their EP "As Tears" and first album "Silence of the World Beyond."

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:16 am 

After hearing Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter in it's entirety, I can say it is quite good but not overwhelmingly so. Perhaps it will be a grower for me.
Sacramentum - Far From The Sun is one of my favorite records of all time in fact, but I've not heard anything else from them. Guess I should rectify that!
As for Dissection, I've given The Somberlain many listens for over a year now and it's stayed very mediocre to me, but Storm of the Light's Bane is great.
I've never heard Dawn, Azure, Ophthalamia, or A Canorous Quintet and will make a point to do so soon.

As an added note, while I really like this certain vein of melodic black that the thread is focusing on, right now I'm trying to search for something more mellow. With more of a heavy (trad) metal (or even rock) feel, I suppose, as in the song example I gave. But retaining that blackened atmospheric quality.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:11 am 

Hmmm, I am trying to think. Dawn still seems to be a pretty good bet in terms of similarity to Unanimated, but I can't recall if they have much traditional metal influence or not. On Slaughtersun, if there's any, it's not much, but as for Naer I forget. Still give them a listen though.

I think Gates of Ishtar may be what you're looking for. They're mainly melodic death metal, but they do have a significant black metal influence/atmosphere. Their songs are mostly uptempo, but usually there will be sections where everything will chill out for a bit and the guitar will play some type of melodic lead. There's a traditional metal influence on all three, but specifically on the first and third.

These are their albums:

A Bloodred Path - This is my favorite. I believe this is probably what you're looking for. The song "Tears" seems to fit what you want perfectly.
The Dawn of Flames - This has a little bit of keyboard, and more mellower sections I believe. The traditional metal influence isn't as strong with this one.
At Dusk and Forever - This is the thrashiest, with traditional metal influences abound. It still doesn't ditch some of the mellower sections though The production/mixing on this one sound different from the rest. Or maybe it's just the distortion of the guitar... I don't know.

I'd say more, but really the only album that's fresh in my mind right now is A Bloodred Path. Definitely check it out.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:46 am 

Good call on Gates Of Ishtar.

I sense that Glorior Belli could be of interest as well, they have this sort of southern rock/blues influence into a pretty smooth sounding black metal, kind of like the rocking vibe you ask for. Give Meet Us At The Southern Sign a try.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:58 am 

I forgot to mention Eucharist. I've heard their one album titled 'A Velvet Creation' and it's pretty much along similar lines. Melodic death with possibly a tinge of black metal influences.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:56 pm 

A Bloodred Path, it's pretty great, reminds me a lot of Dissection! Thanks for turning me on to that.

I also listened to the first two songs from Dawn - Nær Sólen Gar Niþer For Evogher, and I admit I stopped there because I was just bored. I'm sure someday I'll give it and Slaughtersun complete listens, but for now I'd rather direct my time to other things.

Opthalamia is also a dislike.

Eucharist..I heard A Velvet Creation about a year and didn't like it, but maybe I should revisit it, as my tastes have changed some since then.

Heard Glorior Belli songs "Manifesting the Raging Beast" and "Severed From the Self". Like what I'm hearing and will hear more.

Reply to topic