Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:51 am 

LeMiserable wrote:
I still call Horrified crap quality, but that's also the reason I like it so much, it's supposed to sound like that, makes it a classic, and in better quality it'd probably sound like shit, but still, the drums are barely hearable at times, and the bass is just annoying...

The bass on Horrified is ANNOYING? That's one of the best parts of that album!

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:18 pm 

Actually Agathocles did match the "FETO" style fairly well but I've never liked what I have heard of them and don't like how the drums get lost in the mix in the recording you recommended. I love the drum sound and how in your face they are on "FETO". Anyone else got any recommendations. Already a fan of Nasum whom musically has some similarities but vocally and production wise is drastically different.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:18 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
This is Dragunov's side and Kamikaze Pilot's side is linked at the end of the list of songs
http://speedritualrecords.bandcamp.com/ ... er-despair

Digging this! My only criticism would be the way the hi-hat kinda jumps up on top of the mix sometimes (the thrashy parts in Nest of Vipers would be a good example). Seems like the rest is all mixed in nicely, crashes sound good and the ride has a nice pinging sound to it, but the way that hi-hat kinda jumps up to the front is doing the rest a bit of a disservice. Not sure how you record (i know you do it all yourself) so not sure if you're mic-ing the hi-hat individually to where you can adjust it's level without changing something else... just a thought.

Of all your stuff I've checked out I def think this is the best, well done sir.

thank you very much! Yea I tried to curb it best I could, I don't mic my hihat at all. It's picked up from the overheads and I try to balance it by bringing the vol down with all the overheads, when it's most drastic I go and lower sections. But it could've also been some bleed into my tom mics. Usually I don't actively go and silence all the non-tom hits cause I like the overall ambience you get that kinda gives it more of a live feel. But I really appreciate you listening and giving me some feedback to basically take band and make note for the next one.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:31 pm 

Yeah dude, taming that fucking hi-hat is the BIGGEST pain in the ass but I thought the rest of the cymbals sounded great. My old band always recorded ourselves and the hi-hat was the part that I don't think we ever got quite right, ugh. Maybe opening up the hi-hat a little more when you're recording so the sound isn't so sharp... I dunno, I'd say try and cut some of the higher frequencies on the overhead sound but if you're catching your ride with those as well then you're gonna lose that nice ping from there.

Either way I think the end result is rad. Keep up the good work!

Dragunov wrote:

THISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISHTISHTIHSHTIHSIHTIHSIHTIHTHISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:35 pm 

I went and listened to the part. and I know it's cause the drummer in Dragunov like stomping the highhats closed and then hitting them. I don't know why and I asked him why cause it's dumb and I don't like it. I think it was already blinded or deafened so I didn't even realize he did it when we recorded the song. I like my high hats open for a nice sizzle. I'll probably have to just actively take note and more time to mix those sections lower so it's not so cutting.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:16 pm 

Yep, totally what it sounds like (closed hi hats) and also totally assumed it was you playing drums. Do you just play guitar in this band? I too am a fan of leaving the hi hats open just a bit, you get all the definition you need without creating a weird cymbal-less void of sound between hits.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:32 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
LeMiserable wrote:
I still call Horrified crap quality, but that's also the reason I like it so much, it's supposed to sound like that, makes it a classic, and in better quality it'd probably sound like shit, but still, the drums are barely hearable at times, and the bass is just annoying...

Love how everything sounds on that album. That wet mop bass drum, the gangely guitars, etc the only thing that would make Horrified more perfect would be Helga lost her head.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:45 pm 

Yep, totally what it sounds like (closed hi hats) and also totally assumed it was you playing drums. Do you just play guitar in this band? I too am a fan of leaving the hi hats open just a bit, you get all the definition you need without creating a weird cymbal-less void of sound between hits.

yea this is one of the few things I'm not drumming on. Hell out of all the bands and projects in my lifetime it's the 4th one where I'm not playing drums. My friend used to and still does for a couple of my bands but he wanted to do something else entirely and he used to play drums way back in the day so I suggested doing this and practicing that style. but yea not me on drums for Dragunov, I'm doing vocals and guitars. for my drumming in single foot pv/grind style just pull up Kamikaze Pilots where I'm playing everything and singing everything.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:17 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Love how everything sounds on that album. That wet mop bass drum, the gangely guitars, etc the only thing that would make Horrified more perfect would be Helga lost her head.

I would have to agree! :thumbsup:

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:08 pm 

while we're talking about horrified, I know I've asked this before but can anyone think of any grind bands with vocal deliveries like Oscar Garcia on World Downfall or Scott Carlson on Horrified? To put it into words the rhythm of the vocals; they're barked, only a few words at a time, very fast, very on top of the instruments.

examples

You are//rotting//maggots//in your coffin!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfhf65Ohhn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR6kTPJ80jU

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:36 pm 

Hmmmm... these might be too obvious (and not even entirely spot on) but they're all I can really think of at the moment...

Cretin
http://cretin.bandcamp.com/releases

Bone Sickness
http://listen.20buckspin.com/album/alone-in-the-grave

Parlamentarisk Sodomi
http://sodomi.bandcamp.com/album/regnsk ... vegetarmat

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:40 pm 

I couldn't really remember many either...I know I've heard a handful of Rot and Agathocles songs that do that, but I can't remember what the name of the songs were.

Also, this rules:

http://chiensgrind.bandcamp.com/album/v ... -future-10

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:40 pm 

Hmmmm... these might be too obvious (and not even entirely spot on) but they're all I can really think of at the moment...

Cretin

Holy fuck I forgot about this band. Probably the closest to Repulsion without being Repulsion. Perfect, thanks. Wish they'd use more d-beats/thrash beats.

Also, I remember seeing Repulsion at MDF '10 and everyone was like "whoa, who's the babe on the stage with Repulsion?" until they got closer to the stage to realize it was Melissa Martinez.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:43 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:

Cretin

Holy fuck I forgot about this band. Probably the closest to Repulsion without being Repulsion. Perfect, thanks. Wish they'd use more d-beats/thrash beats.

No sweat dawg, I've actually never much cared for Cretin, last few times I tried listening to them it just made me want to listen to Repulsion instead haha... but when I went to get that url to paste in I hit play for shits n giggles and actually found myself enjoying it a good bit, especially that Cretanic Grind Ambush EP. So we both win!! Hooray grindcore!!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:16 am 

Oh, and you might dig this too - http://plagueisland.bandcamp.com/album/ ... ar-anus-12

Also, rad goregrind from members of Violent Gorge and Archagathus
http://parfumerie1.bandcamp.com/

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:10 pm 

Dude that new Parfumerie stuff is fucking KILLER. I definitely need to snag a copy, along with all the newer VG/Archx stuff I've been neglecting to pick up.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:29 pm 

somethingabout cretin

it's a tad overproduced, but enjoying it just the same.Lyrics are actually awesome.

"He thinks I'm saving money
For his college education
I plan to use the money for
His sex change operation
I didn't want a son
I got one anyway
Little boys have nasty
Things between their legs
I'd rather have a girl
A dolly I can dress
My pretty little princess
A transgender success "

happy that i've sparked something for you besides disdain.

yes, yes, YES! And finally, a band with the entombed guitar that isn't over the fucking top and stupid sounding.But boy do i hate it when labels/bands cant put the whole thing up for streaming, especially when there's no option to buy and only 100 pieces of vinyl. fucking dumb

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:12 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
somethingabout cretin

it's a tad overproduced

yeah, that was kinda what turned me off initially, i wanted it to sound dirtier!

FleshMonolith wrote:

yes, yes, YES! And finally, a band with the entombed guitar that isn't over the fucking top and stupid sounding. But boy do i hate it when labels/bands cant put the whole thing up for streaming, especially when there's no option to buy and only 100 pieces of vinyl. fucking dumb

Cosigned on all points but especially the entombed guitar sound. I kinda have a knee jerk dislike for most things as soon as I hear that sound, mostly cuz there's SO MANY FUCKING BANDS all using that tone right now and sucking at it. Modorra on the other hand nail that shit to the fucking wall.

I get not making it downloadable (even for pay) until the physical copies are gone, especially if a label put out the record, no one wants to be stuck with a bunch of dead stock... but at least let me stream it in full. Not like there's any danger of not selling 100 copies, especially something of that caliber. I think labels like that sometimes forget that the people who are actually listening to this kinda shit WANT a physical copy, not just the damn mp3's. Letting me listen to something in full is only going to make me want a physical copy more. It's kinda hard to get really psyched on two songs.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:37 pm 

That tone on Plague Island is the epitome of over the top and stupid sounding..... Not that I'm saying i hate it. I enjoy it alot and I think I might order that vinyl. And I agree, put the whole fucking this up for streaming. not just a few songs.

But really pretty much what the pedal sounds like with no sort of filter or equing done once recorded.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:40 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
Why do so many people say Horrified sounds bad?

I've only heard that complaint in recent years, but it's suddenly mentioned in every discussion I hear about that album. It doesn't sound "bad" unless you've been raised on late 90's+ Relapse Records production and think "good" means everything unnaturally crystaline and loud as fuck.

Anyway, I've only skimmed this page, but since a bunch of people said "WARSORE" to something, I'm gonna do it too.
They were pretty awesome for only having recorded a couple fistfuls of songs.

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
I'm looking for albums very similar in style/sound/aesthetics to "From Enslavement to Obliteration" by Napalm Death.

You might like some early Agathocles stuff. I think the split LP with Drudge is an excellent rendering of the only, like, 5 songs they know!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcGc7iMd ... 3bWXFYghJu
I really like the production on it. I guess it helps that this was my introduction to AG, but I just love the way everything sounds anyway.

AG/Drudge split is awesome.

Too bad FETO has awful production. I like the album but the production is kind of what kills me.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:44 pm 

FETO sounds great to me. That type of sound is also historically important, so I wouldn't change a damn thing about it.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:05 pm 

I think the production on FETO is actually pretty clear, every instrument is fairly audible. I really love the sound of the drums. Now the second side of Scum on the other hand isn't the best production. I thought they really fixed things when they recorded FETO. That album to me just seems like a perfect mix of everything coming together at the right time. The blasts, the riffing the vocals, the intensity and aggression, everything on that album just worked. I doubt anything quite like it will ever be replicated,

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:33 am 

LET'S GET PREGNANT

http://pregnancy.bandcamp.com/album/demo

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:40 am 

that rules.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:28 pm 

Yessir! On top of the music being pretty badass, that's also one of the best logos I've seen in a while.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:05 pm 

Pretty sure Pierre Braindead drew it, dudes been cranking out some rad art as of late. The cover he just did for the G.O.D. / Violent Restitution 7" is awesome.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:06 pm 

Yeah it was him, a lot of his stuff is pretty damn awesome!

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:15 pm 

I don't know if anyone knows about this or not, but http://grindcorekaraoke.com/ and http://happyvending.jp/ (a continuation of the previous page) is (mostly) all free grindcore. I have found some pretty cool stuff on there like Gigantic Brain, Eustachian, and Zmajevdah. I've only begun to scratch the surface of that bandcamp area.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:25 am 

Oh yeah dude, Grindcore Karaoke is common knowledge 'round these parts. Some decent stuff on there, but I never really keep up with it nowadays.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:47 am 

Yea that's like going into KFC and announcing to everyone that they serve fried chicken in the establishment. otherwords.... duh.

well infinitenexus and I released a grindcore split this month. a nothing programmed everything recorded naturally.

His side, Murderbeast:
musicforthedead.bandcamp.com/album/systematic-infliction-of-consumption-split-with-shokushu-goukan

My side Shokushu Goukan:
http://speedritualrecords.bandcamp.com/ ... onsumption

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:35 am 

Some stuff from the upcoming Internal Rot/Manhunt split:

http://lethaldoserecords.bandcamp.com/album/split-7-2

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:52 am 

Aggressive Valley Tapes uploaded a lot of new or upcoming Violent Gorge/Meatus/miscellaneous stuff, most of which rules. Those VG tracks are especially nasty.

http://www.aggressivevalley.bandcamp.com

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:29 pm 

Anyone have any recommendations for technical, drum-machine driven cybergrind sorta stuff? Basically like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QSx2M8F8XI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt6hRTYqkUc

I don't know why, but this stuff is really doing it for me lately.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:16 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
Anyone have any recommendations for technical, drum-machine driven cybergrind sorta stuff? Basically like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QSx2M8F8XI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt6hRTYqkUc

I don't know why, but this stuff is really doing it for me lately.

These may or may not be what you are looking for, but they got me hooked.
http://grindcorekaraoke.com/album/the-sphagnum-bog
http://grindcorekaraoke.com/album/zmajevdah-v-0
http://grindcorekaraoke.com/album/the-i ... iscography

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:03 pm 

Wasn't super keen on the first two, but that Gigantic Brain stuff is off the fucking wall. Thanks!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:18 pm 

Give Psudoku a try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccMb2PQXyoo

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:07 am 

Another new Internal Rot track, this one from their upcoming "Mental Hygiene" LP: https://soundcloud.com/blastasfuk/inter ... m=facebook

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:08 pm 

This is pretty sweet, and space themes are always a plus.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:24 pm 

Glad you dig, prior to Psudoku that dude did Parlamentarisk Sodomi... which isn't cyber grind at all but is frantic as shit and might be something you'd enjoy. You can hear some similarities with Psudoku for sure.

http://sodomi.bandcamp.com/album/de-ana ... -an-n-aler

RE Internal Rot: FUCK YES!

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:35 am 

When it comes to grindcore I really love Napalm Death and Carcass. I also like Repulsion and Terrorizer, but when I try to move past those bands and listen to other grindcore bands they are either to chaotic or brutal for me. What are other good Grindcore bands like the 4 I mention. Also anything that is old school death metal influence, especially in the vocal department is would be nice too.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 102  Next