Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:13 pm 

206 wrote:
I have the MI discog - love the band, especially Overthrow-Dissent-Retaliate. I like their new stuff, but the direction they have gone since Jarvis and Kloeppel started writing their material just bothers me from a grind perspective. They are progressively becoming another Death-Metal-Over-Blast-Beats band, which saddens me, but is good for Death Metal since they are remarkable musicians.

Death metal does not capture me like it did when I was younger. It does not bore me, not at all, I just have troubles focusing on it.

Ya, I can see what you mean. There are some overly obvious usage of metal riffing such as in Theocracy and Conquistadors. You got to remember that the Jason and Sparky were both in DF and that shows a lot. I just wished they got better tourmates. I had to endure a mob of Black Dahlia Murder fans and some annoying pantera/lamb of god style local band who I swear played longer than MI themselves.
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

xjamestravisx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:51 am 

As far as Deathcore goes, I think anyone into it should check out a band called Dissever the Tyrant. Of the most recent Deathcore bands to get relatively big, they tend to stand out to me among others. Also, I'm a big fan or Whitechapel and Annotations of an Autopsy. Some Deathcore that sways more towards Deathgrind, though, would be the Partisan Turbine. They're just pure brutality all the way through.

Another band I highly recommend is Krranium. Their name is completely stupid, but they make some good music. I wouldn't exactly consider them Deathcore, though.

~Guest 160745
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:24 am 

ibeast666 wrote:
XXXtreme wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of bands simliar to Born Of Osiris? ie Metalcore with large electronica elements and also technically sound guitar work, help would be greatly appreciated.

Enter Shikari, Drop Dead Gorgeous and The Devil Wears Prada. The latter two are porbably a long shot, but try 'em out. because they are pretty emo, though alot heavier than enter shikari.

I know those 3 and like them but none of them are metal, all three fit into Post-Hardcore.

ibeast666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:55 am 

XXXtreme wrote:
ibeast666 wrote:
XXXtreme wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of bands simliar to Born Of Osiris? ie Metalcore with large electronica elements and also technically sound guitar work, help would be greatly appreciated.

Enter Shikari, Drop Dead Gorgeous and The Devil Wears Prada. The latter two are porbably a long shot, but try 'em out. because they are pretty emo, though alot heavier than enter shikari.

I know those 3 and like them but none of them are metal, all three fit into Post-Hardcore.

the first 2 sure are post-hardcore, not sure about the devil wears prada though, they seem pretty deathcore. but maybe with more core than death.

whatadamntard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:00 pm 

Hey guys, I don't know shit about grindcore, but I like 'Gourmet's Specialities of Necrozoophila' by Jig-Ai. That song's a fucking monster, it's like a fucking tank to my ears, and I want more shit like that. Tell me where to start, I need recommendations, fellas.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:04 pm 

whatadamntard wrote:
Hey guys, I don't know shit about grindcore, but I like 'Gourmet's Specialities of Necrozoophila' by Jig-Ai. That song's a fucking monster, it's like a fucking tank to my ears, and I want more shit like that. Tell me where to start, I need recommendations, fellas.

I didn't find Jig-Ai to be all that great, and i dont know the specific song your referring to, but its pretty easy to figure out what the 'Jig Ai' sound is all about. They take influence from a lot of the different styles in the goregrind genre and just mash them together. Try out these bands, there should be definately elements in each that appealed to you out of Jig Ai:

Destructive Explosion Of Anal Garland - www.myspace.com/destructiveexplosion
Eardelete - www.myspace.com/eardelete
Spasm - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =106025682
Negligent Collateral Collapse - www.myspace.com/negligentcollateralcollapse
Last Days Of Humanity - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =414699783
Anal Nosorog - www.myspace.com/axnx

Last edited by wigglygore on Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
JustinBaker8484
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:11 pm 

Check out Molotov Solution and Burning Skies, they some of the only good deathcore out there

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:39 pm 

acacia strain
gaza
starkweather
are all pretty deathcoreish sounding with some other strange shit thrown in

NickIsGuitarded
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:42 pm 

cernel_joson wrote:
I would be interested in deathcore without breakdowns as well, or at least deathcore with good breakdowns. No, sporadic chugging in 14/8 time doesn't equal a good breakdown.

A Different Breed Of Killer is good.

You also may like the newer In Truth Be Valor stuff.

NickIsGuitarded
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:52 pm 

NickIsGuitarded wrote:
cernel_joson wrote:
I would be interested in deathcore without breakdowns as well, or at least deathcore with good breakdowns. No, sporadic chugging in 14/8 time doesn't equal a good breakdown.

Also, I don't know if you'd consider it deathcore, but the Faceless is a decent band.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:57 pm 

NickIsGuitarded wrote:
NickIsGuitarded wrote:
cernel_joson wrote:

Also, I don't know if you'd consider it deathcore, but the Faceless is a decent band.

I wouldn't consider The Faceless deathcore really. Technical (MAYBE even brutal) death metal. But yes, they are good.

cloud197
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:33 am 

Eccentric Toilet is some good metalcore/melodic death metal.

iambetterthansex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:50 pm 

Hey guys, can you tell me some metallic metalcore bands, which aren't drowned in the sound of mallcore?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:52 pm 

iambetterthansex wrote:
Hey guys, can you tell me some metallic metalcore bands, which aren't drowned in the sound of mallcore?

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but the bands that immediately came to mind were Veil Of Maya and Born Of Osiris.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

iambetterthansex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:32 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
iambetterthansex wrote:

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but the bands that immediately came to mind were Veil Of Maya and Born Of Osiris.

Metalcore bands, which aren't all about the jumpdafuckup thing. As metal as possible, but still core.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:49 pm 

iambetterthansex wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
iambetterthansex wrote:

Metalcore bands, which aren't all about the jumpdafuckup thing. As metal as possible, but still core.

Okay, so metalcore minus the breakdowns? Try Animosity.

EDIT: This one.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

iambetterthansex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:13 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
iambetterthansex wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
iambetterthansex wrote:

Okay, so metalcore minus the breakdowns? Try Animosity.

EDIT: This one.

Jesus, I knew we have a winner when I just saw the picture of the band. Dear God...

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:14 pm 

Yeah, the picture of the band is less than flattering, but did you like the music? Is that what you were looking for?

ZarathustraHead wrote:

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:58 pm 

iambetterthansex wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
iambetterthansex wrote:

The only metalcore band that came to mind, that i really used to enjoy once upon a time, and in doses now is A Life Once Lost.

http://www.myspace.com/alifeoncelost

I'm really only a fan of their material previous to the album 'A Great Artist'. I think they lost a lot of fans from 'Hunter' onwards, myself included. Their new one 'Iron Gag' has garnered mixed reviews. But if you can, definately check out their EP 'The Fourth Plague: Flies'.

iambetterthansex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:09 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Yeah, the picture of the band is less than flattering, but did you like the music? Is that what you were looking for?

It's pretty good. Maybe it's more deathcore than metalcore, but that's alright.

wigglygore wrote:
The only metalcore band that came to mind, that i really used to enjoy once upon a time, and in doses now is A Life Once Lost.

http://www.myspace.com/alifeoncelost

I'm really only a fan of their material previous to the album 'A Great Artist'. I think they lost a lot of fans from 'Hunter' onwards, myself included. Their new one 'Iron Gag' has garnered mixed reviews. But if you can, definitely check out their EP 'The Fourth Plague: Flies'.

Thanks, I'm going to check this out.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:09 am 

Oh, I forgot about A Life Once Lost. I haven't heard any material prior to Hunter. I have that album and Iron Gag, and I must say that Hunter is miles better. What is their earlier stuff like, wigglygore?

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:22 am 

iambetterthansex wrote:

I suppose Darkest Hour might be to your liking. Check outDeliver Us. Also, I would like to recommend Between the Buried and Me, a band I find to be supremely awesome. They manage to mix wildly different genres of music together (metal and bluegrass anyone?) but they still manage to keep the music coherent. In fact, sometimes the combinations lead to some breathtaking results. Colors has many great moments on it, though I would suggest Alaska if you can't take in an hour long song (though it is split into 8 parts.)

cloud197
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:17 am 

All That Remains early stuff is really metal, you can tell they liked alot of melodic death metal, but that's pretty relevant in a lot of Metalcore bands

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:52 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Oh, I forgot about A Life Once Lost. I haven't heard any material prior to Hunter. I have that album and Iron Gag, and I must say that Hunter is miles better. What is their earlier stuff like, wigglygore?

All their pre-Hunter efforts, i personally think are miles better. Before going into a half assed description (which i always find myself struggling to be descriptive enough) between new/old ALOL, i would suggest you click the myspace link and check the track they have posted from the album 'A Great Artist' titled 'Cavil' for the closest idea of their sound from the EP i mentioned. I think the contrast at least with this track, compared to new material posted on their myspace is quite vast. I wouldn't consider it one of the better tracks from the album either.

The biggest difference for me would be that with the older tracks, they were more defining for the ALOL sound, rather than sounding like the 100's of generic metalcore bands plaguing record shops and venues today, you could actually tell you were listening to ALOL. It could be a stretch to say, but you could liken their old sound to a cross between the Dillinger Escape Plan releases 'Calculating Infinity' and 'S/T' with a more metalcore approach that incorperated more breakdowns and melodic hardcore guitar riffs, rather than the overly-tech angle found on Calculating Infinity. If you enjoy both those DEP releases, i can't see any reason why you wouldn't enjoy old ALOL.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:15 am 

wigglygore wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

All their pre-Hunter efforts, i personally think are miles better. Before going into a half assed description (which i always find myself struggling to be descriptive enough) between new/old ALOL, i would suggest you click the myspace link and check the track they have posted from the album 'A Great Artist' titled 'Cavil' for the closest idea of their sound from the EP i mentioned. I think the contrast at least with this track, compared to new material posted on their myspace is quite vast. I wouldn't consider it one of the better tracks from the album either.

The biggest difference for me would be that with the older tracks, they were more defining for the ALOL sound, rather than sounding like the 100's of generic metalcore bands plaguing record shops and venues today, you could actually tell you were listening to ALOL. It could be a stretch to say, but you could liken their old sound to a cross between the Dillinger Escape Plan releases 'Calculating Infinity' and 'S/T' with a more metalcore approach that incorperated more breakdowns and melodic hardcore guitar riffs, rather than the overly-tech angle found on Calculating Infinity. If you enjoy both those DEP releases, i can't see any reason why you wouldn't enjoy old ALOL.

Okay, I gave "Cavil" a listen just then. It was actually pretty good, however the similarities to any given song on Hunter are prevalent. You're right in saying that it is a big contrast to Iron Gag, though. If "Cavil" is not the best track, then that gives high hopes for the rest of the album.

Also, I wouldn't call Hunter "generic metalcore" by any means...it's much more technical and has it's own flair, which was largely diminished on the follow-up.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Omnivore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:46 am 

I've just found Breathing is Irrelevant by Ion Dissonance and I am blown away. The vocals are completely crazy and brutal, and so is the music. I find it hard to truly get into, but it's growing on me already.

Was Vincent standing beside you while you wrote that, threatening you with sodomy?

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:02 am 

When hardcore kids found out about Ion Dissonance there was another band at the time called Into the Moat which had a pretty similar sound that became popular.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:16 am 

MikeyC wrote:
wigglygore wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Okay, I gave "Cavil" a listen just then. It was actually pretty good, however the similarities to any given song on Hunter are prevalent. You're right in saying that it is a big contrast to Iron Gag, though. If "Cavil" is not the best track, then that gives high hopes for the rest of the album.

Also, I wouldn't call Hunter "generic metalcore" by any means...it's much more technical and has it's own flair, which was largely diminished on the follow-up.

My calling 'Hunter' generic metalcore may be a bit harsh there, but probably derives from my real fickleness about Metalcore bands. The Hunter transition of sound change was as dissapointing for me, as the transition from Hunter to Iron Gag probably was for you.

Before i put my foot to deep in the 'oldschool sound vs nu-skool sound', their first album "Open Your Mouth for the Speechless...In Case of Those Appointed to Die" was an average release that sounds like a band trying to find their feet and define what they want to actually sound like. But i would take it anyday over Hunter onwards.

The Number 12 Looks Like You is another one of those metalcore bands that i enjoyed when they first got some hype, but pretty quickly lost me with the sound change on new albums. There are more metalcore bands like this to mention, that really changed from turning my head, to turning my stomach, but ill leave those for another night :)

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:42 am 

Well, here I am again with another request. I'm still hunting for a band with a sound similar to Insect Warfare's, as in a sound with a raw, dirty, but still clear production and songs that alternate blastbeats and thrash riffs. Vocally, I'm looking for something that alternates between high-pitched, maybe even black metal-esque shrieking and incredibly low, pretty much undiscernable guttural growls. Production-wise I'm looking for something similar to their tracks off This Comp Kills Fascists, Vol. 1. For song length, I would prefer the tracks each be no longer than 2 minutes, as my short attention span renders me incapable of focusing for more than about 2 minutes at a time.

Captain Cleanoff would be a good example of a band with a close sound, save for the vocals lacking as much intensity as Insect Warfare's and the riffs being less memorable and less repeated.

EDIT: I just realized I spoke about myself in 3rd person. What the fuck?

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:48 pm 

wigglygore wrote:
My calling 'Hunter' generic metalcore may be a bit harsh there, but probably derives from my real fickleness about Metalcore bands. The Hunter transition of sound change was as dissapointing for me, as the transition from Hunter to Iron Gag probably was for you.

Before i put my foot to deep in the 'oldschool sound vs nu-skool sound', their first album "Open Your Mouth for the Speechless...In Case of Those Appointed to Die" was an average release that sounds like a band trying to find their feet and define what they want to actually sound like. But i would take it anyday over Hunter onwards.

That's fair enough. I really enjoy Hunter, so I'll continue to listen to it, and now I'm going to have to search for A Great Artist, now.

I was disappointed in the transition to their latest, because the technicality and the vocal delivery all got simplified. Oh, well.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:49 pm 

Omnivore wrote:
I've just found Breathing is Irrelevant by Ion Dissonance and I am blown away. The vocals are completely crazy and brutal, and so is the music. I find it hard to truly get into, but it's growing on me already.

Nice pick up! I have a bootleg DVD of the last show those guys did, and its pretty intense! Dave Witte is a grind-band whore, follow him around to see what he has played in to expand your tastes! Human Remains RULE!

For something similar, but more accessable i would reccomend:

Pig Destroyer - Prowler In The Yard

and also check out:

Agents Of Abhorrence - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=18232189

Quote:
When hardcore kids found out about Ion Dissonance there was another band at the time called Into the Moat which had a pretty similar sound that became popular.

Back when this band was starting out, i used to chat regularly to the drummer who was a really cool dude. I had about 5 demo tracks that i used to listen to constantly. Lost track of him, and years later saw their full length in the shops. Picked it up immediately expecting great things, was severely dissapointed. They lost a heap of intensity and song structure and riffing just seemed to be tech-metalcore for the sake of being tech-metalcore. I don't think the disc even lasted a full spin...

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:59 pm 

wigglygore wrote:
Omnivore wrote:

Nice pick up!

Agreed, but I personally enjoy Solace more, if you're comparing their two schizophrenic-albums, and dismissing the latest one.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

FireNinja
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:50 pm 

BRING ME TEH HORIZONN!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:49 am 

FireNinja wrote:
BRING ME TEH HORIZONN!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO!

Last.fm

lolocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:49 pm 

at the gates

(runs for cover)

Heraklyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 pm 

Between the Buried and Me. Period.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:15 pm 

lolocaust wrote:
at the gates

(runs for cover)

At the gates inspired a lot of deathcore bands.

Last.fm

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:29 pm 

Blood Has Been Shed listened to Meshuggah and decided to record 'Spirals'. A Life Once Lost listened to 'Spirals' and decided to record 'A Great Artist'.

Masc0t
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:29 pm 

Beneath the Sky is good. I'm not sure about the first album (haven't listened, but I hear its more in the screamo type :\) but the second album is really great. Clicky

cloud197
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:50 pm 

There is a really good band from my area that is metal/deathcore, called Their Beauty Fades. might appeal to some. check them out here: http://Myspace.com/theirbeautyfades

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 35  Next