* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OnlyToolsandCorpses
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:08 pm 

thats right i said it.

edit:
theres help threads for every genre now.

why not a metalcore/deathcore/grindcore help thread.

i like a bit of metal/deathcore and i know more people on this board do too.

Last edited by OnlyToolsandCorpses on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SupremeAbstract
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:20 pm 

This thread might of had a chance, had you not of started it like the douche that you are.
www.rustyaxerecords.com

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:57 pm 

well Its not locked yet... fix it while you can.

TheJester
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:14 pm 

The only metalcore that I sometimes enjoy listening to is the first album of The Human Abstract. Mainly for the last song on the CD, "Vela, Together We Await the Storm", but I still bought the CD and I enjoy it.

Wooo.

Also, I have to be in the right mood, but I can enjoy some of Killswitch Engage's material every now and again. I bought some of their CDs when I was still but a wee hatchling in the world of metal, and I have kind of despised them ever since I heard their "version" of Holy Diver.

"Fixation on the Darkness" is and always will be their best song for me.

OnlyToolsandCorpses
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:18 pm 

TheJester wrote:
The only metalcore that I sometimes enjoy listening to is the first album of The Human Abstract. Mainly for the last song on the CD, "Vela, Together We Await the Storm", but I still bought the CD and I enjoy it.

i also really enjoy the song just before Vela. its a good intro and builds up to it well.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:30 pm 

TheJester wrote:
Also, I have to be in the right mood, but I can enjoy some of Killswitch Engage's material every now and again. I bought some of their CDs when I was still but a wee hatchling in the world of metal, and I have kind of despised them ever since I heard their "version" of Holy Diver.

Their first two records are essential if you love metalcore, or are even trying it out for the first time. "Rusted Embrace" is my personal favourite - blistering metalcore with melodeath sensibilities. Amazing track.

The End of Heartache is still a strong release, but they definitely changed on that one with the new vocalist. It's basically melodic metalcore, but still strong.

New album was shit though, but by the time I listened to it off of a buddy, I was already knee-deep in black and death metal :metal:

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:37 pm 

Now Im not flaming or looking to start any fighting (and No Im not trolling) but am I the only person on this site that actually likes Job For a Cowboy?.. Doom i didnt care for so much but I think Genesis was a strong release.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:44 pm 

Is this serious? Really? I understand that people will need help with wahtever genre, but this is just crossing the line.

OnlyToolsandCorpses
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:45 pm 

Nyaricus wrote:
TheJester wrote:

Their first two records are essential if you love metalcore, or are even trying it out for the first time. "Rusted Embrace" is my personal favourite - blistering metalcore with melodeath sensibilities. Amazing track.

The End of Heartache is still a strong release, but they definitely changed on that one with the new vocalist. It's basically melodic metalcore, but still strong.

New album was shit though, but by the time I listened to it off of a buddy, I was already knee-deep in black and death metal :metal:

yeah i dont dig the cd with my curse very much. i personally like end of heartache more than the first 2

OnlyToolsandCorpses
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:46 pm 

RevBau wrote:
Now Im not flaming or looking to start any fighting (and No Im not trolling) but am I the only person on this site that actually likes Job For a Cowboy?.. Doom i didnt care for so much but I think Genesis was a strong release.

I used to like jfac around the time doom came out.
i lost interest with how much they changed with signing to metal blade and Genesis

wartooth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:51 pm 

Deathcore is a disgusting genre. Saying it is a disgrace to metal only scratches the surface.

wolvie90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:59 pm 

Come on seriously. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

Too me this genre is like a big ocean of diaherra with occasional chunks of metal floating by. All Shall Perish, Veil Of Maya and Whitechapel are the only metal/deathcore bands I like, the rest is repetitive and boring turds.

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:04 pm 

wolvie90 wrote:
Come on seriously. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

Too me this genre is like a big ocean of diaherra with occasional chunks of metal floating by. All Shall Perish, Veil Of Maya and Whitechapel are the only metal/deathcore bands I like, the rest is repetitive and boring turds.

Veil of Maya is not that bad actually. I was fucking PISSED when I expected Cynic, but it wasn't a total letdown.
I still despise metalcore though.

ObscureInfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:07 pm 

Starkweather
Converge
Deadguy

I don't like this new Gothenburg-infused breakdown trash out today but these bands bring something interesting to the genre.

lastdodobird
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:33 pm 

Does Converge's "Jane Doe" fall under this thread? If it does, consider it recommended.

Aside from that...

Metalcore:
Zao -Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest
Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Protest the Hero - Kezia

As for deathcore, All Shall Perish's "The Price of Existence" is all I can think of.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:42 pm 

Does Illogocist fit here? They are listed as Technical Death Metal - but remind me more of JFAC and BTBAM, both bands being listed in this thread.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:50 pm 

ObscureInfinity wrote:
Starkweather
Converge
Deadguy

I don't like this new Gothenburg-infused breakdown trash out today but these bands bring something interesting to the genre.

Starkweather are brilliant, and great guys too. However, having to compare them to this nu-deathcore rubbish that passes for metal/hardcore crossover these days is fucking depressing. These bands should be raking it in, not these twats with massive fringes and sentences for names.

nggr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:51 pm 

lastdodobird wrote:
Does Converge's "Jane Doe" fall under this thread? If it does, consider it recommended.

As amazing as what that really is, it's not metal enough for here.

That being said, with the exception of Converge, I really despise the genre.

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:55 pm 

wartooth wrote:
Deathcore is a disgusting genre. Saying it is a disgrace to metal only scratches the surface.

I couldn't agree more! +1!!!!

Deathcore... not even deathcore bands can tell you what it is!!! (It's piss in a jar with a log of poop... aka "modern art").

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:58 pm 

206 wrote:
Does Illogocist fit here? They are listed as Technical Death Metal - but remind me more of JFAC and BTBAM, both bands being listed in this thread.

errr, Illogicist are nothing at all like JFAC or BTBAM. They are, like the page says, tech death.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:00 pm 

Haha, thanks Nahsil - I have obviously heard the wrong Illogicist CD. Sure sounded watered down to me :D

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:00 pm 

I used to love metalcore as a teenager, particularly Living Sacrifice (who have recently got back together) and Zao, especially the latter who were my favourite band for a few years. Nowadays I rarely listen to metalcore unless I'm feeling nostalgic. I came across Zao's latest efforts and both disappointed me. Nothing in comparison to the old material from 'Parade Of Chaos' and such. No longer a genre I tend to explore, though I have recently listened to my first Starkweather album ... Deathcore means nothing to me.

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:03 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
I used to love metalcore as a teenager, particularly Living Sacrifice (who have recently got back together) and Zao, especially the latter who were my favourite band for a few years. Nowadays I rarely listen to metalcore unless I'm feeling nostalgic. I came across Zao's latest efforts and both disappointed me. Nothing in comparison to the old material from 'Parade Of Chaos' and such. No longer a genre I tend to explore, though I have recently listened to my first Starkweather album ... Deathcore means nothing to me.

LS got back together, eh? I'll have to look into that. I've always considered them more hardcore I guess then metalcore... but who the hell knows?? To me it's metal. Zao's last offerings weren't that great (after Liberate...) I agree. But It does give you that "old time early 00's" feeling, doesn't it?

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:40 pm 

Since this is a help thread, let's get things started.

Often enough I'll listen to a song that actually sounds kind of decent, when suddenly the omnipresent breakdown will rear its ugly head, ruining the entire fucking song (bar a small handful of cases [mostly in death metal] where the breakdown isn't really an issue).

Please recommend me some deathcore without breakdowns.
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

cernel_joson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:57 pm 

I would be interested in deathcore without breakdowns as well, or at least deathcore with good breakdowns. No, sporadic chugging in 14/8 time doesn't equal a good breakdown.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:10 pm 

evil528e wrote:
LS got back together, eh? I'll have to look into that. I've always considered them more hardcore I guess then metalcore... but who the hell knows?? To me it's metal. Zao's last offerings weren't that great (after Liberate...) I agree. But It does give you that "old time early 00's" feeling, doesn't it?

To me, there's a fine line between hardcore and metalcore anyway. Most metalcore bands seem influenced by hardcore. Living Sacrifice have a new full-length planned for early next year, apparently. I didn't realise they have a new EP out already. Might have a listen to it ... Not a big fan of the Christian influence, but lyrics have never bothered me too much.

Zao are very nostalgic to me. :)

chan5586
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:50 pm 

Lamb of god is still one of my favorite bands ever. I really don't think they deserve the metalcore label, though. Yes, they use the breakdowns, but I think they've moved away from that into a more straight up groove vibe.

And I third the request for deathcore w/out the breakdowns. (Although wouldn't that be just straight up death metal?)

Fuckhammer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:57 pm 

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
Since this is a help thread, let's get things started.

Often enough I'll listen to a song that actually sounds kind of decent, when suddenly the omnipresent breakdown will rear its ugly head, ruining the entire fucking song (bar a small handful of cases [mostly in death metal] where the breakdown isn't really an issue).

See You Next Tuesday.

cernel_joson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:31 pm 

chan5586 wrote:
And I third the request for deathcore w/out the breakdowns. (Although wouldn't that be just straight up death metal?)

Well, there are certain nuances present in deathcore that aren't the same as death metal. The main differences are in atmosphere and "aesthetics," if you will.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:31 pm 

From Graves Of Valor is a great band. They dont have deathcore breakdowns but they do have actual breakdowns in their songs.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:45 pm 

This is a good thread. I'm looking to expand my tastes into deathcore, because I'm trying to not give off that elitist vibe yet I still want good quality music. Deathcore bands that I like include Through the Eyes of the Dead and Despised Icon. Thats pretty much about it. What is some more metal oriented deathcore? By the way, I can stand breakdowns but only if they are halfway decent, not overused, and get you pumped up.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:47 pm 

Zao and Demon Hunter are by far, my favorite Metalcore bands.

ObscureInfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:52 pm 

Tantalus wrote:
ObscureInfinity wrote:
Starkweather
Converge
Deadguy

Starkweather are brilliant, and great guys too. However, having to compare them to this nu-deathcore rubbish that passes for metal/hardcore crossover these days is fucking depressing. These bands should be raking it in, not these twats with massive fringes and sentences for names.

Yeah, Starkweather are one of my favorite bands. They barely sound like what's considered metalcore today but they had an indirect influence on the genre. Ironically, on their MySpace, they wrote a blog entitled 'Don't Blame Us For Metalcore'.

Check it out:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =404140118

Gothus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:04 pm 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
This is a good thread. I'm looking to expand my tastes into deathcore, because I'm trying to not give off that elitist vibe yet I still want good quality music. Deathcore bands that I like include Through the Eyes of the Dead and Despised Icon. Thats pretty much about it. What is some more metal oriented deathcore? By the way, I can stand breakdowns but only if they are halfway decent, not overused, and get you pumped up.

*Looks at username*

WTF?
And this just my humble opinion, but I don't think this thread is really needed.

slammysamman wrote:
HOW IZ IT DETH METIL WITOUT BREAKDOWNZZZ????

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:21 pm 

Some people here have to realise that this is a help thread, and not a place to proudly declare how you hate metalcore/deathcore. If you don't like it, get out of this thread. Simple.

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:

Have you heard Beneath The Massacre? That can get you pretty pumped up. They're bringing out a new album next month which I'm excited about.

EDIT: All Shall Perish might fit, too. I've heard their new one and it doesn't sound as good as The Price Of Existence. Check them out if you want.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Last edited by MikeyC on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:24 pm 

I like Converge, but I don't like other shitty metalcore/deathcore bands like Beneath the Massacre, Killswitch Engage, Job for a Cowboy, Bring Me the Horizon, etc etc etc. Any other bands that really kick ass like Converge do? I know there are.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:56 pm 

Fuckhammer wrote:
See You Next Tuesday.

I'll have to look into them again. I downloaded one of their albums some time ago, and must've thought it was crap because I deleted it.

MikeyC wrote:
Some people here have to realise that this is a help thread, and not a place to proudly declare how you hate metalcore/deathcore. If you don't like it, get out of this thread. Simple.

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:

There's a request for recommendations - do you have any?
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

DrSeuss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:07 pm 

From a Second Story Window
Animosity
Despised Icon
Heaven Shall Burn

That's all I can stomach really.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:40 am 

The holy trinity of metalcore is Converge, Botch and Zao. Those three bands are just unbelievably good. On the more mainstream side, I have to admit that I do enjoy Bleeding Through even if they fit into every cliche the genre has.

For the modern sounding tech stuff I would recommend Dillenger Escape Plan, Between the Buried and Me, and a new interest of mine, Protest the Hero. It's funny cause I hated that band for 2 years and then out of nowhere I listened to them last night and they ruled. Weird how things like that happen.

MorbidAtheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:09 am 

I actually really enjoy All That Remains. Especially the last 2 albums (Fall of Ideals and Overcome.) They actually make good songs and the brakdowns are well used for the most part.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next