Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:12 pm 

TheCryptologist wrote:
For anyone interested in Blackened Deathcore, some bands I like and descriptions of them:

Carnifex - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1hafyakGXE (black metal riffs, sorrowful melodies, symphonic elements)

Ovid's Withering - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIDRyoCTV5E (black metal riffs, some shrieked vocals, metalcore/deathcore breakdowns)

Take Charge - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D69nK8GpQw (metalcore styled chugging, black metal melodies and solos, death metal drumming)

I was really into the whole blackened deathcore thing a year ago. To add to this, try Aurora Black, The Ancient (now under the name Winterus, more straight-forward black metal rather than a mixture), Serpents (though not so much their new album, Born of Ishtar was pretty awesome though), the Funeral Pyre, the Bridal Procession, Graveborn's Vile Genesis EP, Make them suffer's Lord of Woe EP, Lorelei, uhhh, there's a ton more that I'm forgetting but those were most of the good ones. I'd post links but that's alotta bands.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:09 am 

Any recommendations for something along the lines of Lost Forever//lost together, Sempiternal, but (moreso for BMTH) less "emo"?

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:11 am 

Looking for some melodic metalcore along the lines of The Unguided or Sonic Syndicate but without the keyboards.

Cheers!

- Savage

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:01 pm 

Space_alligator wrote:
Any recommendations for something along the lines of Lost Forever//lost together, Sempiternal, but (moreso for BMTH) less "emo"?

Architect's latest album can't really get "less emo"... It's their least emo record to date. If you want stuff like that, you're probably gonna need to look more for prog groovecore bands, maybe like Monuments or early TesseracT.

ToliFlesh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:11 am 

hey guys you should check out AXIS and BLISTERED. they're metalcore (metallic hardcore? idfk) from Florida

BLISTERED - RUSTED [SOUL EROSION]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWfd06OyzF8

AXIS - ERADICATE [SPLIT WITH SELF-DEFENSE FAMILY]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Rft3C6CoY

not sure whether this is the right place to post this, or the hardcore help thread. either way, i think more people will enjoy this here more than the hardcore help thread. these bands have a lot in common with the metalcore bands from the late 90s and early 00s. stuff like Disembodied and whatnot

VargTheViking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:28 pm 

ToliFlesh wrote:
not sure whether this is the right place to post this, or the hardcore help thread. either way, i think more people will enjoy this here more than the hardcore help thread. these bands have a lot in common with the metalcore bands from the late 90s and early 00s. stuff like Disembodied and whatnot

Probably the hardcore help thread honestly, it doesn't seem people use this one for this kind of metalcore. I listened to Blistered and they're pretty sick man, thanks for sharing.

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:34 pm 

ToliFlesh wrote:
hey guys you should check out AXIS and BLISTERED. they're metalcore (metallic hardcore? idfk) from Florida

BLISTERED - RUSTED [SOUL EROSION]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWfd06OyzF8

AXIS - ERADICATE [SPLIT WITH SELF-DEFENSE FAMILY]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Rft3C6CoY

Love Blistered, remind me of All Out War and Arkangel.

addseo1115
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:44 am 

Artist : G6PD
Album : Grand Murderer
Release : 2007

Death Core Ban From Thailand . \m/

XDFFSX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:51 am 

Hey, Im looking for Deathcore or Beatdown bands with Sludge Metal elements. thanks. Even just Deathcore or Beatdown covers of Sludge Metal songs would be cool

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:27 am 

Uhm this may be a little of a stretch, but you could try with Gaza:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnBoR8WUhj4

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:18 am 

XDFFSX wrote:
Hey, Im looking for Deathcore or Beatdown bands with Sludge Metal elements. thanks. Even just Deathcore or Beatdown covers of Sludge Metal songs would be cool

If haven't already check out Xibalaba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6zwqODjbgM

dicmo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:36 am 

Hello I am seeking your reccomendations for metalcore bands with tecnical metal elements,esspecially with technical metal guitar parts.
I am really thankfull for your help.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:40 pm 

So what did everyone think of the new Between the buried and me album? I thought it was really good album, probably best since Colors.

Another Typical Metal Newbie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:36 pm 

I think I once heard of someone saying that before deathcore there were some bands mixing actual hardcore punk with death metal (not melodic metalcore with death metal), and that these are the pioneers of deathcore. Could you guys tell me which bands are those?

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:28 am 

Another Typical Metal Newbie wrote:
I think I once heard of someone saying that before deathcore there were some bands mixing actual hardcore punk with death metal (not melodic metalcore with death metal), and that these are the pioneers of deathcore. Could you guys tell me which bands are those?

Well aside from traditional grindcore which was a mix of hardcore punk and death metal there were a few acts like Ironside and Slavearc who mixed metallic hardcore and death metal, great stuff that stylistically has no relation to deathcore but I highly recommended anyway.

More directly related though would be acts like Abnegation, Unruh, Upheaval, Zao, Creation is Crucifixion, As the Sun Sets (first album) and to some extent Earth Crisis who combined metalcore with heavier death/grind influences in various ways. The first Embodyment album perhaps the one that always sticks out in my mind.

I guess it wasn't until you had acts like The Red Chord, Glass Casket, Premonitions of War, Animosity, Despised Icon, The Accacia Strain and Job For A Cowboy that you had something definable as deathcore but even so a couple of these acts don't conform to the style that deathcore settled into.

Another Typical Metal Newbie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:43 pm 

Hayisforhorses wrote:

Well aside from traditional grindcore which was a mix of hardcore punk and death metal there were a few acts like Ironside and Slavearc who mixed metallic hardcore and death metal, great stuff that stylistically has no relation to deathcore but I highly recommended anyway.

More directly related though would be acts like Abnegation, Unruh, Upheaval, Zao, Creation is Crucifixion, As the Sun Sets (first album) and to some extent Earth Crisis who combined metalcore with heavier death/grind influences in various ways. The first Embodyment album perhaps the one that always sticks out in my mind.

I guess it wasn't until you had acts like The Red Chord, Glass Casket, Premonitions of War, Animosity, Despised Icon, The Accacia Strain and Job For A Cowboy that you had something definable as deathcore but even so a couple of these acts don't conform to the style that deathcore settled into.

So Job for a Cowboy is actually a deathcore pioneer? Why are they so hated? I mean, deathcore is freaking mainstream nowadays (but the scene is now plagued by these slow brutal chug bands, I think it's called beatdown or downtempo).

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:43 am 

So Job for a Cowboy is actually a deathcore pioneer? Why are they so hated? I mean, deathcore is freaking mainstream nowadays (but the scene is now plagued by these slow brutal chug bands, I think it's called beatdown or downtempo).

I aint gonna profess to being an expert on the genre (I like some deathcore but not alot) but my take on it is that their Doom ep was one of several releases that helped to establish the style in that it incorporated most if not all elements that became synonymous with the genre. From what I recall Doom was widely hated by metal fans. I guess their sound was seen as a bastard watering down of several extreme genres and core has always been something of a dirty word to many metal fans, and pig squeals seem to be a particular point of contention. By Genesis they were already becoming more metal in style and they seem to be more accepted if not exactly loved around here. Personally I thought Doom was at least interesting and their stuff since has been decent just not special.

The whole beatdown style has existed for years and has its roots in the slower breakdown oriented end of old NYHC. This can reference anything from 25 ta life to Hatebreed to the more recent beatdown stuff like Xibalba and No Zodiac, which is generally a sludgy more metallic version of that. Of course you get crossovers with deathcore like Emmure who are probably the most ahem... infamous example.

Hykez
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:31 pm 

Well, Endrah was conceived as a hardcore band with death metal influences, mixing former Korzus drummer, Fernando Schaefer's, hardcore drumming (now in beatdown band Worst) with Coveiro's death metal guitars from Nervochaos. I never really listened to their albums, but check this video of Fernando recording a drum track for the band.

Spoiler: show

XDFFSX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:01 am 

Really into The Acacia Strain recently. Anyone know anything that sounds like TAS, even if its just straight cloning and rip-offery? To be clear Im not looking for down-tempo/sludgewave (all of which is TAS influenced) but TAS is a bit more uptempo and beatdown-y than down-tempo. I know a lot of people think Emmure sound like a TAS rip off but I don't hear it (too much emphasis on the highs vocal wise, angst lyrics and nu-metals elements, not that I don't like Emmure, but not what Im looking for)

1nsane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:54 pm 

As for Metalcore I've learned by myself how shitty it can be but at the same time it can be very good. The problem with this genre is that it's full of emo kids running bands therefore, it depends alot upon what band you're listening to. I've dug into this genre for a while and tested many bands and out of all of them the best ones I could name at this moment are As I Lay Dying, Parkway Drive and Killswitch Engange. There are other bands that are somewhat decent but not as good as the previous bands I mentioned. These are pretty much Trivium, Darkest Hour and Miss May I.

The Kraken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:00 pm 

XDFFSX wrote:
Really into The Acacia Strain recently. Anyone know anything that sounds like TAS, even if its just straight cloning and rip-offery? To be clear Im not looking for down-tempo/sludgewave (all of which is TAS influenced) but TAS is a bit more uptempo and beatdown-y than down-tempo. I know a lot of people think Emmure sound like a TAS rip off but I don't hear it (too much emphasis on the highs vocal wise, angst lyrics and nu-metals elements, not that I don't like Emmure, but not what Im looking for)

This is late, but maybe try Black Tongue. They remind me a lot like TAS. Also, Misery Signals is kinda similar.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:31 pm 

does anyone know something similar to this?

i am not sure how to describe it but i like it

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:18 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:

There was a time when I'd call stuff like that "blackened deathcore", be careful with words like that though... could get you beat up for slinging that term around these parts.

Anyways, Lorna Shore and Dealey Plaza's new-er stuff might be up your alley.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:18 am 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

There was a time when I'd call stuff like that "blackened deathcore", be careful with words like that though... could get you beat up for slinging that term around these parts.

Anyways, Lorna Shore and Dealey Plaza's new-er stuff might be up your alley.

sounded like blackened deathcore ish to me :P thank you for both the songs i liked both, the 1st one had great but strange sounding guitar parts but both are great so thank you

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:53 am 

Bump

We had some metalcore/deathcore discussion recently, so I thought I'd bring this thread back. Does anyone know some early metalcore bands, from back when it was actually a metal and hardcore fusion genre? I'm interested in hearing what the genre used to be.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:23 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Bump

We had some metalcore/deathcore discussion recently, so I thought I'd bring this thread back. Does anyone know some early metalcore bands, from back when it was actually a metal and hardcore fusion genre? I'm interested in hearing what the genre used to be.

Seconding this. I'm also wondering if there's any 90s metalcore bands (or worship bands from modern times) that are more metal than hardcore.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

psyexia_lix
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:30 am 

Becoming active again after a decade or so, I did not backread enough but I am sure what's asked above will qualify Starkweather, Overcast, Darkest Hour and the good 'ol H8000 scene in Belgium (which I recently discovered when I began revisiting metalcore).

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:16 pm 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Bump

Seconding this. I'm also wondering if there's any 90s metalcore bands (or worship bands from modern times) that are more metal than hardcore.

There was loads of good stuff, though I'm never sure exactly what people mean by "more metal than hardcore", for me they are both relative terms.

The first band I would always recommend is Acme, who were mixing metal and hardcore back in 1993/4 in a very extreme way. They are not typically classified as a metalcore or deathcore band but they influenced many of these bands. Early bands like Starkweather ("Into the Wire"), Integrity ("Humanity is the Devil"), Confusion NYC ("Taste of Hate"), and Darkside NYC ("Ambitions Make Way for Dread") are all good shouts too. All of which have a slightly different take on the metallic hardcore hybrid.
Then there were bands like like Abnegation (split seven-inch), Upheaval (EP), Beneath the Remains (EP), Barrit (LP), Krakatoa (LP), Congress ("The Other Cheek"), Red Sky (first LP), Ire (seven-inch) and Deformity ("Misanthrope" EP) all made good stuff from various sub-scenes and countries.
I'm not sure if stuff like Groundwork, Chokehold, Catharsis, Earth Crisis, Rorschach or Harvest would count as being 'more metal than hardcore' but they all released some amazing material regardless.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:17 pm 

Even if you hate The Acacia Strain, this album is fucking great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph_QkMXe4Ro

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35