Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ObscureInfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:32 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Power-metalcore would probably be kinda blah anyway.

On an unrelated note, probably the best breakdown-like riff that I have ever heard is the beginning of Enter the Depths of Eternal Darkness by Therion.

Since this is the metalcore help thread, and breakdowns are kinda central to metalcore... what are the best breakdown-like parts that aren't by metalcore bands?

3 Inches of Blood come pretty close to metalcore.

skrapythecar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:47 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
Since this is the metalcore help thread, and breakdowns are kinda central to metalcore... what are the best breakdown-like parts that aren't by metalcore bands?

Tarot - Convulsions, easily.

Wormed - Geodesic Dome at 1:45 gets my vote.
Yes, that is a good track.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:00 pm 

Besides Protest the Hero, I'd say the closest band to blending true metalcore with power metal is A Plea for Purging (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=108158)...but the power metal influence isn't too prominent.

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:49 pm 

ObscureInfinity wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
Power-metalcore would probably be kinda blah anyway.

On an unrelated note, probably the best breakdown-like riff that I have ever heard is the beginning of Enter the Depths of Eternal Darkness by Therion.

STFU

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:56 pm 

You guys are throwing some pretty shitty bands around in this thread...
Carnifex? They're terrible.
I Killed The Prom Queen
Eternal Lord
The Acacia Strain
I Declare War
The Red Shore
Winds of Plague
Through The Eyes of The Dead(1st full lenth only)
????
Cmon now...

The only deathcore bands I can even listen to are Despised Icon, Animosity, Arsonists get all the Girls, The Faceless(1st release is deathcoreish) and Whitechapel...

yg7s7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:09 pm 

MaliciousAwesome wrote:
The only deathcore bands I can even listen to are Despised Icon, Animosity, Arsonists get all the Girls, The Faceless(1st release is deathcoreish) and Whitechapel...

I agree but these are terrible as well. Maybe except Despised Icon.
I haven't heard of The Faceless yet.

bloodonthewax
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:26 pm 

ObscureInfinity wrote:

This is not the truth. Where do you get the core aspect? I hear none of it. There is falsettos that alternate with screams/shrieks, and that's about it.

Or maybe I hear it not because I've listened to nothing but God of the Cold White Silence recently.

wasteful
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:35 pm 

i enjoy quite a few metalcore bands from the 90's...

starkweather, catharsis, ire, damad, botch, undying (early stuff), deadguy, congress (i only have one album and have heard most of their stuff sucks), and overcast.

integrity even put out an album i really enjoyed, titled "humanity is the devil" (though everything else was pretty bad, in my opinion).

the only modern metalcore that has done anything for me is steel nation and cursed.

rustyslacker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:47 pm 

I've a grindcore request. Are there any symphonic grindcore bands out there other than Fist in Fetus?

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:49 pm 

wolvie90 wrote:
Don't know if you will like it, but I think All Shall Perish is the best in the genre.

I definately have to agree with you. They are a band that just keeps getting better and better and their latest release is extremely impressive.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:13 pm 

Symphonic grindcore? A little antithetical, don't you think? With the shortness of songs it would be more of a vignette than a symphony.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:19 pm 

Or a fanfare :lol:

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:23 pm 

Can anyone explain how the band Overcast's debut compares to more modern metalcore?

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:31 pm 

Overcast is real metalcore unlike Shadows Fall and Killswitch Engage.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:32 pm 

Wow. What an amazing analysis. You're truly a genius.

Anyone with something actually worth reading on the subject?

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:35 pm 

Theres actual hardcore influence in Overcast. Killswitch Engage had little hardcore influence and now has none. Other metalcore bands like Trivium, Shadows Fall, All That Remains have no Hardcore influence. Overcast isnt a bad band. Id listen to them over the so-called modern metalcore anyday. Id say they are like Integrity but more metal influenced.

Editted**

Last edited by RevBau on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:37 pm 

Typically we refer to the oldschool hardcore punk + metal hybrids as "crossover" opposed to "metalcore" which is stuff like Shadows Fall, etc.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:37 pm 

Ah that's much better. I guess I'll have to check them out now, since they're "tr00" metalcore.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:38 pm 

:ugh: Metalcore has become a misleading label

rustyslacker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:50 pm 

206 wrote:
Symphonic grindcore? A little antithetical, don't you think? With the shortness of songs it would be more of a vignette than a symphony.

Well, perhaps. I suppose I mean "orchestral grindcore". Anything grind/deathy with some orchestra instruments, synthesized or not.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:22 pm 

Yeah, Fist in Fetus is a really unique band. I don't think you're going to find anything similar.

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:45 pm 

metalcore bands like it dies today

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:52 pm 

I was hoping Fist in Fetus were going to be this fucking crazy band with blasting, hyperspeeding grind and silly lyrics with some haphazard orchestrations over it. Needless to say, I was disappointed, but they're still a good band, very mature and unique.

Metal_is_2_1337_4_u
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:57 pm 

Dragonforce is the best band ever!

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:14 pm 

Poor troll is poor at trolling.

rustyslacker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:27 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I was hoping Fist in Fetus were going to be this fucking crazy band with blasting, hyperspeeding grind and silly lyrics with some haphazard orchestrations over it. Needless to say, I was disappointed, but they're still a good band, very mature and unique.

THAT would be exactly what I was seeking. But it seems I'll have to make it myself!

Sionis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:28 am 

Hey guys, I'm looking for some good old-school grindcore that sounds like scum napalm death.

Pounded_Into_Dust
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:40 am 

Can anyone give me any bands that sound like Despised Icon?

In terms of having breakdowns (or no breakdowns) that don't sound exactly the same and have varied vocals?

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:41 pm 

Fuckhammer wrote:
See You Next Tuesday.

Oh wow, their name abbreviates to C.U.N.T how witty of them. :roll:

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

monkeychief25
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:19 pm 

I want fast cybergrind thats really technical, but not so annoying that it gives you a headache, I want it to actually sound like music.

Metal_is_2_1337_4_u
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:17 pm 

Its not trolling if its the truth....

Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll

Blackend
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:11 pm 

Molotov Solution, some seriously heavy deathcore. Yes they have breakdowns, but not shitty ones with the "shockwave" sound like Emmure or the pho-brutal Suicide Silence ones.

Whitechapel's "This Is Exile" was a prime deathcore album, as well as the new albums Carnifex and Animosity put out recently.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:43 pm 

Hollywars wrote:
wolvie90 wrote:
Come on seriously. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

Too me this genre is like a big ocean of diaherra with occasional chunks of metal floating by. All Shall Perish, Veil Of Maya and Whitechapel are the only metal/deathcore bands I like, the rest is repetitive and boring turds.

There is a problem when a band (whitechapel) needs 3 guitarists to be interesting.

They really don't need 3 guitarists. I can't get my head round it. Especially when all they do with those three guitars is masturbate the open E string with breakdowns.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:51 am 

Why not let this thread focus on all Hardcore + Metal?

Grindcore, Crossover, Metallic Hardcore, Metalcore (1st, 2nd and 3rd wave), Deathcore, Sludge, etc...

There are excellent bands of every genre.

The soaring vocals of Alive or Just Breathing era Killswitch Engage, the hardcore + metal aesthetic put forth on Of One Blood by Shadows Fall, the classic feel of Overcast's stuff... Metalcore isn't a genre that should be entirely dismissed. Take the newer bands with a grain of salt, but don't lump the innovators in with them. Sure, some of them went crappy, but some of them still produce quality material. KsE hasn't sold out, they kept to their sound even though they cleaned the production up considerably. Leach is a better vocalist than Howard, but I believe he can hold his on and has a good stage presence.

Then there are bands like Heaven Shall Burn that just slay.

Metallic hardcore, and thrash oriented metalcore such as old Throwdown, Terror, Earth Crisis, Full Blown Chaos, old Hatebreed, Converge, etc... are all good.

Deathcore has their gems too. A local band, who played their last show this past Sunday, named Amongst Decay, played a form of deathcore that honored the roots - Devourment, Suffocation, Dying Fetus... etc - as well as adding in solos and two-step. No melody, however.

All Shall Perish released a really good album this year. Despised Icon always has an interesting sound.

As for sludge... there's several threads this can go in, both here and in the Doom metal help-thread. Most sludge more resembles doom metal, but there are some exceptions - Kingdom of Sorrow, for example.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Evisceration1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:57 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Some people here have to realise that this is a help thread, and not a place to proudly declare how you hate metalcore/deathcore. If you don't like it, get out of this thread. Simple.

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
This is a good thread. I'm looking to expand my tastes into deathcore, because I'm trying to not give off that elitist vibe yet I still want good quality music. Deathcore bands that I like include Through the Eyes of the Dead and Despised Icon. Thats pretty much about it. What is some more metal oriented deathcore? By the way, I can stand breakdowns but only if they are halfway decent, not overused, and get you pumped up.

Have you heard Beneath The Massacre? That can get you pretty pumped up. They're bringing out a new album next month which I'm excited about.

EDIT: All Shall Perish might fit, too. I've heard their new one and it doesn't sound as good as The Price Of Existence. Check them out if you want.

You sir are a smart and a good man

Legacii
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:48 am 

I need some help looking for the name of this band I saw last month on On Demand.
It was a typical metalcore band, whose vocalist was a black woman with long dreadlocks.
Anybody know what band I'm talking about?

Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:18 am 

Kickback-Forever War
is a pretty good Metalcore record. Its Hardcore with some thrashy riffs, no crappy clean vocals and shit like that.

Necroticism89
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:19 pm 

All aboard the fail train!

First Stop: This thread.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:20 pm 

Necroticism89 wrote:
All aboard the fail train!

First Stop: This thread.

Enjoy your suspension.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:41 pm 

Sionis wrote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for some good old-school grindcore that sounds like scum napalm death.

If you liked the mid-paced thrash bits that explode into frenetic blasts then I would recommend Insect Warfare. Otherwise check out the Grind Survey results - there are plenty of old school bands to explore.

Your request is rather vague though. You might actually like powerviolence (super fast thrash often with blast beats) but you won't find anything good here on the archives because the gods are capricious.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next