Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:15 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:
It's quite obvious why they cannot merge together. Not even considering ideology, attitude, and aesthetic (all integral parts of the music [and in this case those of doom metal are the exact inverse of metalcore]), the compositional techniques are totally opposed to one another. Breakdowns could never be placed into doom metal. Also the riffing style doesn't accommodate it and even if you were to awkwardly add it into the music, it would no longer be doom metal. When you say "doom metal", I assume you mean traditional doom metal.

If you mean some faggy band like Ahab, then sure I guess you might be able to merge them together, but thats a totally different argument.

Hopefully you don't need to me to actually go into the compositional theory behind both genres to grasp this utterly simplistic concept.

One- This could have been very easily said in the first post, rather than "no". Now the person asking has a clearer idea on why (you think) it can't be done.

Two-Key word: you think. I'm not in the mood to state examples, but I'm sure if you went 20... hell, even ten years back, a combination of two seemingly totally different styles of music would have been laughable. Yet they are there. Just because you think it's not possible doesn't mean it's not.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:17 pm 

I never once said that I thought those things. I stated facts of the genre and the musicianship. It would no longer be doom if -core was added to it.

You also missed my assertion regarding ideology, aesthetic, and attitude, it seems.

StillbornMisanthrope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:26 pm 

Ah, well, thanks. I never listen to metalcore but tons of doom so I didn't know those things before and knowing is half the battle.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:32 am 

Isn't sludge a sort of 'doomcore' ? I mean, Doom + Hardcore. Doom + Metalcore sounds gay and impossible, though.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:16 am 

Wet Pussy wrote:
Isn't sludge a sort of 'doomcore' ? I mean, Doom + Hardcore. Doom + Metalcore sounds gay and impossible, though.

In the early days, yah. Bands like Dystopia and Toadliquor.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:59 am 

Well yes, but actual hardcore is vastly removed from what he was referring to, presumably. Labeling it doomcore is fucking silly since sludge is the proper term.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:47 pm 

Yeah, I know. Was just saying.

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:44 pm 

Just out of curiosity, as we all know that deathcore is a genre that combines death metal with metalcore, I was wondering if there was deathcore with at least some singing in it. All the deathcore live heard only has screaming and/or death growling. Basically, I wondering if there is deathcore with general melodic metalcore vocals, or a deathcore band that combines death growls with singing.

Such a tragic story....

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:45 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:

I consider sludge as a subgenre of doom.

Such a tragic story....

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:49 pm 

metalcore3716 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, as we all know that deathcore is a genre that combines death metal with metalcore, I was wondering if there was deathcore with at least some singing in it. All the deathcore live heard only has screaming and/or death growling. Basically, I wondering if there is deathcore with general melodic metalcore vocals, or a deathcore band that combines death growls with singing.

Divine Heresy

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:43 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
metalcore3716 wrote:

Divine Heresy

Thank you.

Such a tragic story....

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:20 am 

metalcore3716 wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:

I consider sludge as a subgenre of doom.

Yes, it probably has more in common with doom than hardcore. But a friend here made me listen to this Black Flag song yesterday (forgot the name :ugh:) and it was really sludgy and shit, but sounded more like slowed down hardcore punk than anything else. I dunno, it lacked the stoner/doom influences that are present in albums like Dopesick etc.

Dying_Funeral
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:40 am 

The only deathcore i listen to would be Despised Icon and Burning The Masses. Not bad bands but nothing great, the new Despised Icon album sucked ass though.

Cloud108
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:19 pm 

metalcore3716 wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:
metalcore3716 wrote:

Divine Heresy

Thank you.

Also check out The Red Shore
http://myspace.com/cjmillermusic
My old band
http://myspace.com/theredletterking

NonEsDignus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:25 pm 

metalcore3716 wrote:

Assassinate the Following has clean vocals, but they are pretty shitty imo. Miss May I also has cleans, although they are pretty metalcore, so...

wakemeup36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:39 pm 

I was just wondering... is their any metalcore with tons of black metal influence?

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:25 pm 

wakemeup36 wrote:
I was just wondering... is their any metalcore with tons of black metal influence?

Though I don't listen to it, there is a newer subgenre of metalcore called blackcore. Two bands would be Masokismi and Insect.

Such a tragic story....

Cloud108
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:22 am 

wakemeup36 wrote:

check out the band Abigail Williams
http://myspace.com/cjmillermusic
My old band
http://myspace.com/theredletterking

NonEsDignus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:18 pm 

wakemeup36 wrote:

Not that these are necessarily metalcore bands, but for some reason these bands are popular among the ~core crowd, despite being mostly black metal based:

Abigail Williams (their first EP is notably more core influenced)
The Funeral Pyre
Aurora Black

SymphonyXFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:25 pm 

Is anyone in this thread a huge fan of Divine Heresy? Tim Yeung has some of the fastest feet and hands I've ever heard. Plus, Dino isn't anything to sneeze at either.

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
Stop derailing the thread, douchesickles.

www.myspace.com/decayingmyyouth -experimental doom metal

~Guest 160745
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:08 pm 

Anyone got any thoughts on the new Despised Icon. Personally I found the album rather avreage, shame really as they were one of the few deathcore bands doing anything diffrent.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:17 am 

RevBau wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:
RevBau wrote:
My most recent Deathcore interests have been..

Glass Casket
Molotov Solution
The Plasmarifle

I definitely suggest them to anyone looking for some refreshing deathcore- seeing as its hard to find.

Will definitely check the 3 out. I never liked deathcore before, but I quite enjoy it now, and considering that you have a great taste in deathcore I'll check those bands out for sure.

All three bands have their flaws but are definitely awesome. Molotov Solution is probbably the weaker of the 3. They are similar to Whitechapel but a bit more melodic at times. The Plasmarifle are a very sparatic band that does alot of weird shit. Often switching from yelling to growling vocals. Glass Casket is fucking awesome. They have some very original sounding riffs. You may hate all 3, like 1 or 2, whatever. I find them interesting and I hope you do too.

Finally got around to checking out Molotov Solution. I really like them, since I'm a big Whitechapel fan. Molotov's more varied and kinda darker than Whitechapel, if slightly less 'fun.'

ApocalypticxAngel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:49 pm 

wakemeup36 wrote:

Besides the ones mentioned earlier, there's also Winds of Plague and Dance Club Massacre's second album.

George Gobel wrote:
If it weren't for electricity, we'd all be watching tv by candlelight.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:25 pm 

ApocalypticxAngel wrote:
wakemeup36 wrote:

Besides the ones mentioned earlier, there's also Winds of Plague and Dance Club Massacre's second album.

I haven't heard the new WOP album, but I would hesitate to say that they have a black metal influence....

As for the person who said Abigail Williams was blackcore, I would say that's been totally deprived of -core in the new album. It reminds me of Summon mixed with Valdur.

Necropleasurist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:27 pm 

I'm not too big on metalcore... but are there any "good" metalcore bands similar to Darkest Hour or Bleeding Through? I've heard Yakuza referred to as metalcore, but not sure, so if any similar to them as well, that would be helpful.

Pretty much, I know all the big name -core bands, and I don't want any of them.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:57 pm 

Necropleasurist wrote:
I'm not too big on metalcore... but are there any "good" metalcore bands similar to Darkest Hour or Bleeding Through? I've heard Yakuza referred to as metalcore, but not sure, so if any similar to them as well, that would be helpful.

You may try Enemies Laid to Rest.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:10 pm 

EDIT: Never fucking mind.

Necropleasurist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:25 pm 

fetalfeast wrote:
Necropleasurist wrote:

Thanks, I'll look into them.

Also, any bands similar to Poison the Well?

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:00 pm 

Necropleasurist wrote:
fetalfeast wrote:
Necropleasurist wrote:

I'm not super aware of Poison the Well's material but you might want to check out Converge, Burnt by the Sun, and Botch. Once again, I don't know that much about Poison the Well, but they seem to share a few things with the above bands.

~Guest 160745
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:48 am 

Necropleasurist wrote:
fetalfeast wrote:
Necropleasurist wrote:

Try:

Misery Signals
For The Fallen Dreams
It Prevails

NonEsDignus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:54 pm 

A couple lesser known bands I would recommend to any deathcore fans:

Float Face Down - Fairly unusual band, although I think they represent a sound that is going to become very popular very soon - they play a deathcore oriented mix of beatdown hardcore and technical deathcore parts. They have one EP out, titled "Bury Your Beliefs," but last I heard, they broke up. The EP is awesome, though, definitely something to look into.

Aegaeon - If you like Oceano, you will like this band. In some ways you could probably accuse them of being an Oceano clone even, but they play it well enough. They have an EP called "Exponential Transcendence" that is awesome.

Genocide of Prescription - Uncomfortably technical deathcore band. Their EP "Corporal Violence" in unashamedly wanky, but well enough put together that I love it.

The Prevalent Reaping - I feel bad recommending this band... I don't think I am supposed to like them, haha, but they have a certain charm. If you don't like 'brees' then stay the fuck away from this band. They have one release so far, a self-titled EP.

Fit for an Autopsy - Very similar to Float Face Down, so I won't waste time describing the sound again. You can download their self titled EP for free from their Purevolume page.

Doom Cannon - Pretty techy deathcore band with some good booming deathcore parts. EP "Filthy" is good.

At Rest - As of now they only have a demo released (I think?), they are great. Highly technical, very catchy, has some Black Dahlia Murder reminiscent parts.

Applaud the Impaler - Just have a demo out, although a 5-song EP is supposed to be coming out sometime soon. This band is pretty intense. They are the closest I have heard a band come to replicating Misericordiam's sound on the "Unanimity and the Cessation of Hostility" EP. Worth a look.

Legion - Shockingly powerful hybrid of deathcore and beatdown hardcore. Their EP "This is the End" has become a regular listen for me.

Take this to Your Grave - Just have a demo out, powerful, if somewhat generic 'br00tal' deathcore. Still fun at times, though.

EDIT: So... my 666th post was about deathcore...... awkward.....

thepickaxemurderer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:01 pm 

SupremeAbstract wrote:
This thread might of had a chance, had you not of started it like the douche that you are.

What's wrong with ambient BM???

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:40 pm 

NonEsDignus wrote:
Applaud the Impaler - Just have a demo out, although a 5-song EP is supposed to be coming out sometime soon. This band is pretty intense. They are the closest I have heard a band come to replicating Misericordiam's sound on the "Unanimity and the Cessation of Hostility" EP. Worth a look.

Misericordiam's Unanimity EP is absolutely amazing. It's one of the few deathcore releases I like. Glad to know there is someone else out there making music like that.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:56 pm 

I wouldn't even call Unanimity... a deathcore EP, anyway.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

DemonX99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:39 pm 

fetalfeast wrote:
NonEsDignus wrote:

Misericordiam's Unanimity EP is absolutely amazing. It's one of the few deathcore releases I like. Glad to know there is someone else out there making music like that.

DEFINATELY not deathcore. It is an amazing release none the less.

~Guest 160745
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:29 pm 

NonEsDignus wrote:
A couple lesser known bands I would recommend to any deathcore fans:

Float Face Down - Fairly unusual band, although I think they represent a sound that is going to become very popular very soon - they play a deathcore oriented mix of beatdown hardcore and technical deathcore parts. They have one EP out, titled "Bury Your Beliefs," but last I heard, they broke up. The EP is awesome, though, definitely something to look into.

Aegaeon - If you like Oceano, you will like this band. In some ways you could probably accuse them of being an Oceano clone even, but they play it well enough. They have an EP called "Exponential Transcendence" that is awesome.

Genocide of Prescription - Uncomfortably technical deathcore band. Their EP "Corporal Violence" in unashamedly wanky, but well enough put together that I love it.

The Prevalent Reaping - I feel bad recommending this band... I don't think I am supposed to like them, haha, but they have a certain charm. If you don't like 'brees' then stay the fuck away from this band. They have one release so far, a self-titled EP.

Fit for an Autopsy - Very similar to Float Face Down, so I won't waste time describing the sound again. You can download their self titled EP for free from their Purevolume page.

Doom Cannon - Pretty techy deathcore band with some good booming deathcore parts. EP "Filthy" is good.

At Rest - As of now they only have a demo released (I think?), they are great. Highly technical, very catchy, has some Black Dahlia Murder reminiscent parts.

Legion - Shockingly powerful hybrid of deathcore and beatdown hardcore. Their EP "This is the End" has become a regular listen for me.

Take this to Your Grave - Just have a demo out, powerful, if somewhat generic 'br00tal' deathcore. Still fun at times, though.

EDIT: So... my 666th post was about deathcore...... awkward.....

Nice to see some love for Float Face Down. The sweeps they use are tight as. Really gutted they split up, would of been interesting as to what they could do on a full album.

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:55 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

Yah but the thin line between man and machine is the most stereo typical deathcore record ever made also the heaviest, but it still rules.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:31 pm 

deicidefan wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Yah but the thin line between man and machine is the most stereo typical deathcore record ever made also the heaviest, but it still rules.

Oh, yeah, A Thin Line Between Man And Machine is poor, even for someone like me who enjoys deathcore. I'm glad they released that EP, and I cross my fingers that they continue to make music in that vein.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:08 pm 

some Belgian ''deathcore/metalcore/whatever shizzlecore.." outfits:

Moker - slamming death metal/deathcore with very catchy melodic interceptions, hardcore attitude included.. and they really sound like a sledgehammer ('Moker' = Dutch for 'sledgehammer ;) ) bands that come to mind are Skinless, Dying Fetus, old All Shall Perish,..

Fatal Recoil - very comparable to Moker.. nothing technical, just simple chuggy & catchy deathcore riffs, yet so facebreaking brutal :D

The End Of All Reason - melodic deathcore.. if you like All Shall Perish (-> Price Of Existence era), As Blood Runs Black, Through The Eyes Of the Dead,.. very young and skilled guys.. really professional production on their EP (new album in 2010)

Days Of Betrayal - Again the genre thing.. in a way comparable to The End Of All Reason, but they have this melodic death touch which reminds of The Black Dahlia Murder.. very catchy though it's not really that mosh motivating :p

Crimson Falls - insane band, difficult to categorize, call it modern death metal with lots of insane technical guitar riffing and crazy facesmashing breakdowns, can't recall any other band that really sound similar, yet they have that epic melodies which occasionaly reminds to songs on All Shall Perish's latest effort 'Awaken the Dreamers'

Rafflesia - very underrated 'metalcore' band, easily to be placed up there with bands like Heaven Shall Burn, Neaera, Maroon,.. that german metalcore atmosphere is definitely present :)

i'll post more recommendations soon..

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:36 pm 

wakemeup36 wrote:

can't really think of any, BUT check out the song Prisoner Of War from All Shall Perish, gotta love that black metal-ish vibe in that song :)

but I'm indeed interested in hearing bands like that (if there really are any) don't think new Abigail Williams isn't really that categorizable as 'blackcore' , they're more like modern black metal..

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 35  Next