Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
eternal_sin666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:32 pm 

Tiamat from anything after Sumerian Cry to A Deeper Kind of Slumber and then the new one Amenthenes.
Ava Inferi, it's a project by Blasphemer with female vocals, frickin' awesome albums. Check them out!
Draconian: great gothic doom metal with beauty and the beast vocals to a certain extent.
The Foreshadowing: members of How Like A Winter and Klimt 1918, great gothic doom metal from Italy
How Like A Winter: male and female vocals, violins, Shakespearian lyrics, great atmosphere and a lot of melody.
Lacrimas Profundere: Listen to their old albums, the newer ones are more H.I.M.-ish and not good at that.
Lacrimosa: German darkwave so it mixes metal, classical and gothic music. Each album is very different but I personally love them. Give Stille a try
Type O Negative: no need for info
Virgin Black

Out of metal but still awesome: Fields of the Nephilim

Vintage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:39 pm 

I know I'm more or less reviving this thread, but, hell...

Anyway, I'd like to know if there is any band that devoted their time to further develop the kind of gothic Paradise Lost plays in their song "As I Die". Although I'm no expert in this field, I can't remember anything similar to it, not even in PL's catalogue.

Having said that, I believe it's because most of the gothic metal I've heard until now was predominantly mid-paced or slow, whereas "As I Die" is rather upbeat. Also, I'd be interested in bands that avoid that "beauty and the beast" approach - not saying I don't want female vocalists or growlers, but I preferably want bands with ONE vocalist or, at least, one per song.

I think it goes without saying, but, just to make sure, it has to be mostly riff-driven or, if not, with good/distinctive riffs in the background. Also heavy, nothing excessively melodramatic - although I do like Type O, they are overly melodramatic, in my opinion, for example.

I'd be really thankful if anyone could point me something like that.

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:47 pm 

SpiritOfTheForest wrote:
I'd go so far as to call Type O Negative essential to anybody looking to get into gothic metal who is currently unfamiliar with them. Awesome band.

More doom than goth but they definitely have the themes. They're one of the greatest there will ever be, at least for a long time. October Rust was an absolute masterpiece.

Other great gothic metal bands I recommend would be Theatre of Tragedy, Moonspell, and Leaves' Eyes. All female fronted except for Moonspell.

A_Tree_Can_Talk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:22 am 

Anyone knows unknown bands that sound like Charon/Icon & the Black Roses?

And I say unknown, because I know A LOT of Gothic bands.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:48 am 

666head wrote:
I've been getting a lot into El Cuervo de Poe and early Lacuna Coil, particularly their first EP, I really like it. Their newer stuff just doesn't cut it out for me, I'd rather listen to HIM or Evanescence.

Are you kidding me????????????
If Evanescence were any good they still wouldn't sound like Lacuna Coil.
Their last album certainly isn't their best but I'd rather listen to that than "The Open Door".

HIM is passable.

zervyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:03 pm 

666head wrote:
The title says it all. This thread is dedicated to gothic metal recs.

To start off the thread, I was wondering, could anyone recommend me bands like Type O Negative and gothic era Moonspell.

I've read some of the recommendations listed and... "Tenebre" sounds a lot like TON.

Now, Musically the band "The Bronx Casket co." are also close to what you are looking for, except for the vocals. If you are actually looking for bands with that particular kind of voice, check out the first album of "Poisonblack" or perhaps the early era of "Beseech", but musically they are not as close, cause both bands have influences from Finland's commercial metal/rock.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:49 am 

Early Anathema had quite a gothic tinge to my ears.

enslaved__
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:17 pm 

Early Anathema was a good totally Celtic Frost ripped-off Doom/Death Metal,nothing to do with Gothic Metal I think.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:23 am 

No one can go wrong with early Fields of Nephilum. Alot of their influence can be heard in some Celtic Frost material.

Lychgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:59 am 

Theatre of Tragedy's "Velvet Darkness They Fear" is a bit of a classic, as is Tristania's "Widow's Weeds". Both make great use of the harsh male / beautiful female vocal style and have a very romantically gothic female to them. Another great gothic metal album with a slightly diferent feel is Empyrium's "Songs of Moors and Misty Fields". Being German, it is no surprise it has a much more masculine and "true gothic" (as it were) feel to it.

Prophetian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:54 am 

For me, Tristania with Morten Veland (so Widow's Weeds and Beyond the Veil) and afterwards Sirenia.

I prefer Tristania over Sirenia because of Vibeke's beautifull voice, but after Morten left, Tristania wasn't the same.

Morten tries his best with Sirenia, and I can't wait to hear what the new female singer has to offer the band.

For gothic'ish bands, I also listen to Eternal Tears of Sorrow. Their later work is rather Gothic if you ask me.

That's the only Gothic I appreciate. If anyone knows bands wich sound like these (I like the use of choirs and the "beauty and the beast" kind, and violins!) please do tell :)

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:44 am 

Prophetian wrote:
For me, Tristania with Morten Veland (so Widow's Weeds and Beyond the Veil) and afterwards Sirenia.

I prefer Tristania over Sirenia because of Vibeke's beautifull voice, but after Morten left, Tristania wasn't the same.

Morten tries his best with Sirenia, and I can't wait to hear what the new female singer has to offer the band.

For gothic'ish bands, I also listen to Eternal Tears of Sorrow. Their later work is rather Gothic if you ask me.

That's the only Gothic I appreciate. If anyone knows bands wich sound like these (I like the use of choirs and the "beauty and the beast" kind, and violins!) please do tell :)

You should know about Pete Johansen's other band, The Sins of Thy Beloved, I guess.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:59 pm 

enslaved__ wrote:
Early Anathema was a good totally Celtic Frost ripped-off Doom/Death Metal,nothing to do with Gothic Metal I think.

Bullshit- if anything the other way around (CF influenced by Christian Death, etc).

How could the song "Sleepless" be anything BUT gothic influenced doom metal?

I second markthevictor's Fields recommendation as well. Great stuff.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:22 pm 

Which Rotting Christ albums could be classified as gothic metal? Because I just heard Theogonia, i'm very impressed by this band and want to hear their supposed gothic era material.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:16 am 

Anyone heard of Wicked World? They are an Ozzy era Sabb cover group. And my other question is if anyone knows anything about Type O's next album?

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:26 pm 

Vintage wrote:

I think it goes without saying, but, just to make sure, it has to be mostly riff-driven or, if not, with good/distinctive riffs in the background. Also heavy, nothing excessively melodramatic - although I do like Type O, they are overly melodramatic, in my opinion, for example.

I'd be really thankful if anyone could point me something like that.

My old band's CM album was a bit like that...released in 98' and produced by Mattias from Cemetary and included Chuck from Crumbsuckers on guitar. It could have been mixed a hell of a lot better though, but I still thought the songs were cool regardless...it wasn't an overblown dramatic goth thing, it was almost death metal meets goth meets Sabbath meets electronica or something.

www.myspace.com/vasaria

Check out Adversary on the page, that was from that album. The other tracks are not from that time period and are different.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:36 pm 

I'm looking for gothic metal similar to ''In Requiem'' by Paradise Lost. The vocals should be clean, but contain some harsher tones as well. (No growls!) I don't mind producton and lyrics must be in english.

Thanks in advance!

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:47 pm 

JobForACryptopsy wrote:
Im not a Cradle fan, but I listened to this song by them called "The Principle of Evil Made Flesh" and it was pretty badass. I noticed a lot of different metal elements in it, along with the album it was on.

Any recommendations on fast paced, possibly melodic, gothic metal such as this song?

Do yourself a favour and listen to all of Dusk and Her Embrace. One of the greatest albums ever written!!!

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:52 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
Which Rotting Christ albums could be classified as gothic metal? Because I just heard Theogonia, i'm very impressed by this band and want to hear their supposed gothic era material.

You could say from Triarchy Of The Lost Lovers on. I dunno it's all gray to me, black metal with gothic overtones, or gothic black metal, etc etc. Anyway Theogonia, Kronos 666, Genesis, Sanctus Diavolos, and i assume A Dead Poem and Sleep of Angels (never listened to those last two) could be classified as their Gothic stuff. Check out Genesis and Sanctus Diavolos (the first 3 tracks make that album worth it alone).

Stormalv
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:33 am 

Sirenia's new album kicks ass! It's much better than Nine destinies and a downfall! Killer songs with very cool riffs and melodies, and Morten has taken a step backwards, there's a lot more synth on this one, and he growls on every song except one, just like the previous albums. The new singer is okay, but she gets a bit annoying in the long run, her voice is a bit weak, especially on the high melodies. Jan Kenneth from Elusive is back as a guest vocalist on the last track, Sirens of the seven seas, the best track on the album in my opinion! Very goth rock like, and his vocals are beautiful. He should have sung the whole album! :D

enslaved__
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:45 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:

Theogonia does not have Gothic Metal influence. You can look at Sanctus Diavolos. Then Genesis and A Dead Poem.

Primemattimus wrote:
Bullshit- if anything the other way around (CF influenced by Christian Death, etc).

How could the song "Sleepless" be anything BUT gothic influenced doom metal?

Sleepless has gothic influences? No way, nothing at all. It is all the way a Doom/Death Metal song.

And my claim is not bullshit, listen to The Silent Enigma, you will find a lot of Celtic Frost moments, in Into The Pandemonium vein.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:37 pm 

Thanks guys, I'm listening to Sanctus Diavolos for the 10th time now and I like it even more then Theogonia, definately one of the most unique bands I ever heard, a strong contrast to my expectations when I heard the name Rotting Christ.

Stormalv wrote:
Sirenia's new album kicks ass! It's much better than Nine destinies and a downfall! Killer songs with very cool riffs and melodies, and Morten has taken a step backwards, there's a lot more synth on this one, and he growls on every song except one, just like the previous albums. The new singer is okay, but she gets a bit annoying in the long run, her voice is a bit weak, especially on the high melodies. Jan Kenneth from Elusive is back as a guest vocalist on the last track, Sirens of the seven seas, the best track on the album in my opinion! Very goth rock like, and his vocals are beautiful. He should have sung the whole album! :D

So it's more like the first two albums?
If so I might check it out but if it's anything like Nine Destinies i'll pass.

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:55 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
Thanks guys, I'm listening to Sanctus Diavolos for the 10th time now and I like it even more then Theogonia, definitely one of the most unique bands I ever heard, a strong contrast to my expectations when I heard the name Rotting Christ.

awesome, check out Genesis next.

Stormalv
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:04 am 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
Thanks guys, I'm listening to Sanctus Diavolos for the 10th time now and I like it even more then Theogonia, definitely one of the most unique bands I ever heard, a strong contrast to my expectations when I heard the name Rotting Christ.

Stormalv wrote:

It's a combination of both the old and new style.

vane_bluemoon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:35 pm 

Maybe you can hear Charon, AngelDark....

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:26 pm 

My favorite and thus highly recommended Gothic Metal albums:

Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell (the finest of the genre, doomy yet beautiful)
Moonspell - Irreligious (love the production, memorable songs)
Cradle Of Filth - Dusk & Her Embrace (love the synth melodies on this)
Tristania - Beyond The Veil (the definition of Gothic Metal?)
The Sins Of Thy Beloved - Lake Of Sorrow (a nice companion to Tristania)
Leaves' Eyes - Vinland Saga (very well written album)

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:52 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:

It's similar to Nine Destinies in that there's more emphasis on the female vocals and melodies. However, it's also similar to Elixir and Sixes in that there's less commercial / poppy nonsense and Morten found his growling voice again.

I don't like it as much as the first two albums, but it's still darn good, seriously.

Edit: I also don't know how familliar anybody here is with Russian duo Tatu, but that Pilar girl reminds me way too much of them with her accent and how she hits some of those notes.

eternal_sin666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:15 pm 

I listened to the first four songs of the album a few weeks ago and I really wasn't impressed. Their two first albums were good, nothing extraordinary but still very good. The third album was truly a pop metal album. I couldn't stand it.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:44 am 

Theatre of Tragedy's album Aegis is not as metal, but it is beautiful. a great album that i just recently listened to again after a long while. and early Cradle of Filth and all Type O Negative is essential.

Endemoniada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:37 pm 

666head wrote:
The title says it all. This thread is dedicated to gothic metal recs.

To start off the thread, I was wondering, could anyone recommend me bands like Type O Negative and gothic era Moonspell. Also, something soft like Within Temptation or HB would be in order to, better if it doesn't have chrisitan lyrics, or at least more subtle ones.
Thanks in advance.

You could\should try these:

Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
Fields of The Nephilim - The Nephilim (not metal, but they did inspire Paradise Lost and countless other bands)

IT_AND_EVIL_ARE_GODS wrote:
I'm always looking for bands that sound similar to Tiamat's mid-era (Clouds, Wildhoney etc.).. Can anyone help?

I also really adore those two Tiamat albums, and I've tried to search for anything similar, but to no avail. You could try 'Sleep of The Angels' by Rotting Christ. It does have some of those excellent eerie whispered vocals from 'Wildhoney' and a lot excellent guitar sections. It does'nt however have any accoustic passages either, but its the only one I can think of.

JobForACryptopsy wrote:
Im not a Cradle fan, but I listened to this song by them called "The Principle of Evil Made Flesh" and it was pretty badass. I noticed a lot of different metal elements in it, along with the album it was on.

Any recommendations on fast paced, possibly melodic, gothic metal such as this song?

These might be what your looking for, and are class:

Abyssos - Fhinsthanian Nightbreed (are very hard to get, pm me and I'll see what I can do)
Graveworm - Scourge of Malice
Cradle of Filth - Vempire
Abyssos - Together we Summon the Dark (also very hard to get)
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Moonspell - Wolfheart
Cradle of Filth - Dusk And Her Embrace

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:18 am 

Shroud of Bereavement are a band local to Massachusetts USA. They have a nice take on the "beauty and beast" style of The Sins of thy Beloved and many others. Violin, some technical guitar work, I hear potential to be a great addition to this style. If you ever come across their 2007 album "Alone Beside Her" I'd recommend you take a listen.
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=15828

Virgin Black are one of the greatest metal bands I've ever heard with the release of "Mezzo Forte" and "Fortissimo". Eagerly awaiting the new release.

Is there any Gothic metal as interesting and varied as To-Mera? I'd really love to hear something else like that.

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:08 pm 

I suppose I'll try my luck here before I cough up and make a unique thread about this.

I'm looking for some very specific gothic metal, and chances are the recs are going to have to be fairly obscure. I want something with a distinct medieval / Gothic era sound, meaning Gregorian chants, choirs, possible organs, and an almost doomish sort of feel to the whole thing.

Best examples I have are early Tristania / Theatre of Tragedy, specifically Beyond the Veil and In Velvet Darkness with the doomish feel of early Draconian. They all have their quirks that make them good; I'm looking for something that combines them together, and does it well.

zervyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:04 pm 

well, Haggard sounds very medieval to me, but perhaps you already know them.

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:08 pm 

zervyx wrote:

Like I said, it's going to have to be quite obscure. I happen to have Haggard's discography :)

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:07 pm 

You might want to try Silentium. They don't really have all of those instruments/things you're asking for, but the music sometimes has that feel you're looking for.

zervyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:05 am 

Khull wrote:
zervyx wrote:

Like I said, it's going to have to be quite obscure. I happen to have Haggard's discography :)

argh... well I tried. sorry, the only medieval/gothic I know are Haggard and In Extremo. I'll pay attention to this to this thread, to learn about other medieval bands.

ApocalypticxAngel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:21 pm 

Alright, I'm looking for more "heavier" Gothic Metal. Here's more specifically what I'm looking for:
1) Gothic Metal that isn't entirely clean vocals. Some harsh vocals and some heavy instruments.
2) Strong and deep vocals, somewhat like Charon or Poisonblack. But I would prefer that it did not contain Doom elements, so nothing like Type O Negative.

The bands don't have to fall into both catregories, but if it does, that would be great.

George Gobel wrote:
If it weren't for electricity, we'd all be watching tv by candlelight.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:46 pm 

ApocalypticxAngel wrote:
Alright, I'm looking for more "heavier" Gothic Metal. Here's more specifically what I'm looking for:
1) Gothic Metal that isn't entirely clean vocals. Some harsh vocals and some heavy instruments.
2) Strong and deep vocals, somewhat like Charon or Poisonblack. But I would prefer that it did not contain Doom elements, so nothing like Type O Negative.

The bands don't have to fall into both catregories, but if it does, that would be great.

Paradise Lost's ''In Requiem'' is exactly what you're looking for.

Disciple16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:40 am 

Saviour Machine

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 am 

I've been trying to work out a band's name for about two years now. I don't have high hopes of sorting it out, but here's my best shot:

The main thing I can note first off is that they have a violinist. I'm pretty confident they'd be described as a gothic metal band. Though there's a nagging thought that occurs to me which tells me they're more rock-ish. I have a feeling they had a female member, not sure. Can't recall vocals (likely clean female lead), just how well the violin melody worked with a certain song. I reckon the song was about 4 minutes.

The sure thing I remember is visiting their homepage 2 or 3 years ago. It had a red and black background, looked very old-fashioned (think '90s comic-sans laden websites with simple links on the left side). They had a handful of songs you could listen to in full (no download) and a few excerpts. When you clicked on a song name, it'd play in one of those plain grey rectangular players, which - for some reason - was located on the bottom of the page rather than the top.

Sorry that's so vague, and if this is the wrong kind of post for this thread. :???:

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next