Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:27 am 

While I'm not too sure about the whole 10 min epic part, newer bands like Virvum, Virulent Depravit, First Fragment, Schoenberg Automaton, Veil of P'nath etc. play proggy tech death more or less with extended sections of instrumental wizardry. Let me know if any of these bands is what you're looking for.

MJS71
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:23 pm 

Yes, I have listened to all of those guys except Schoenberg Automaton, which I will definitely check out. Thanks for the recommendations, but I'm definitely going to keep hunting down those long epics!

Edit: 5 minutes after this post, and I just started the album "Apus" on Youtube. It is pretty awesome!

MJS71
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:01 pm 

Ok, for anyone else who may be interested in prog/tech death, I just discovered Ingurgitating Oblivion, whose third album just dropped yesterday. It is amazing! My search has been fulfilled! Also, I got further into the Schoenberg Automaton album and discovered that I did not really like it. It got sort of boring and repetitive.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:12 pm 

How about Inferi, Spawn of Possession, Atrocity, Inanimate Existence, Dissonance in Design, Decrepit Birth? I'm guessing you've heard most of these but just throwing it out there. Also found IO recently, solid stuff. Check out the worthwhile albums & most anticipated albums threads, plenty of new tech death to go around.

MJS71
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:22 pm 

I have heard of those bands, but haven't listened to all of them. I am definitely going to find time to listen to some of those more. I am a big Spawn of Possession fan and I like some of Inanimate Existence's stuff. I will check out some of those other bands when I get the time. Thanks again!

celldweller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:54 am 

Hi. I think I'd like some of this. A lot of music I've been listening to at present is technical and syncopated.

I find progressive metal is often used to describe one of three things.

1) Dream Theater/Queensryche/Fates Warning -- I am not looking for anything like this.

2) Weird on purpose stuff, like "Whoa, here's some metal with lyrics that don't rhyme, and heyyyy check out this accordion that we threw into the middle of this song! Pretty weird huh?"

3) Metal that's really disjointed and technical.

I am mostly looking for #3 type stuff, preferably without keyboards.

I love bitchin' guitar solos, and while I'm not against harsh vocals (prefer clean), they have to be really good for me to listen for extended lengths.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:22 pm 

celldweller wrote:
3) Metal that's really disjointed and technical.

Examples of bands/songs that sounds like what you are looking for would help narrowing it down.

celldweller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:02 am 

Alright. I have the three following songs in a playlist, and I kind of play them through again and again. They're not all in the same genre, but there's a kind of noisy chaos they all share (without going too overboard).

These first two are punk.

Youtube: show

This third one kind of sums up what I'm looking for musically, at least in the first 90 seconds or so. If you're seeing the band name and recoiling in horror, know that as far as using the song to show what I mean, one need only listen to 0:25 - 0:52 to understand.

I wish I had better examples. One might look at these three and think "Friend, what you need is The Dillinger Escape Plan!", which I have already listened to. And like I said in my post before this one, I'm looking something more metal.

MJS71
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:05 pm 

You need some tech death stuff probably. Maybe Atheist? Gorguts?

celldweller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:32 pm 

MJS71 wrote:
You need some tech death stuff probably. Maybe Atheist? Gorguts?

Well, I don't know that I'm looking for death metal. I like Extol and the first Arsis record as far as tech death go, but I wouldn't say either has the disjointed feel I'm looking for. I'm looking for some syncopation, not just technicality.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:29 am 

Try these:
Fronterier
Coma Cluster Void
Car Bomb
Gigan
Psyopus
Pyrrhon

Mostly dissonant, jagged tech death with some mathcore thrown in. Is this what you're looking for?

celldweller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:03 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
Try these:
Fronterier
Coma Cluster Void
Car Bomb
Gigan
Psyopus
Pyrrhon

Mostly dissonant, jagged tech death with some mathcore thrown in. Is this what you're looking for?

So I went through these one by one, and they are all pretty challenging to listen to. I wound up liking Car Bomb (I think. The album (Meta) is still playing). Coma Cluster Void came close, the rest either were a little too without direction, or the vocals killed it for me. I'm pretty picky about harsh vocals, and I almost always hate real low gutteral stuff. I prefer more normal sounding to shrill types. Having said all this, thanks for Car Bomb. It'll prove a manageable challenge to listen to, and it's a fun name to say.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:56 pm 

How about Behold the Arctopus?

Blotted Science?

celldweller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:17 pm 

Behold the Arctopus -- I knew who these guys were before I came here, and they're a joke. No offense. If a number of the above bands were too much for me, I'm not sure why you'd recommend these guys. The three songs I initially posted all have some kind of disjointedness to them, but I can still remember them when I stop listening.

Blotted Science -- Pressed play on the Youtube you posted, and that was a pretty bitchin' opener. I will listen more and respond later. EDIT -- Oh, they're instrumental. Hope they're able to change things up enough to be interesting. Eliminates vocal concerns I guess.

Still really liking Car Bomb. The harsh vocals aren't gutteral, songs have just enough structure that I can identify their various parts, but there's still a technical, stop-start nature to much of it as well. Clean vocals sprinkled into various places. It seems like this band could do whatever they like, and it would be natural, and still sound like them. Not to say I'm humming their songs yet or anything, it's still a challenging listen, but one I understand more of the more I hear.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:51 pm 

Listen to Unexpect. Maybe The Faceless, BTBAM, and Native Construct, but Unexpect are the only band that does disjointed right for me.

agent_fist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:44 pm 

I've been binging Nevemore's middle-late albums and Communic's debut. Does anybody else come close to this sound? Intricate, bottom-heavy riffs, sinister melodic vocals, a strong sense of dramatic storytelling. I also enjoy the extreme metal influences and the long, intricate songs.

I'm familiar with Mercenary but they're a touch more heartfelt than I'm looking for right now. Thanks!

Xymosys
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:39 pm 

I'm looking for some non cheesy prog metal bands, the ones on a bit darkly trail...any leads?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:07 pm 

Any examples of bands in this vein that you like? That's a pretty vague description.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Fromage_Qui_Pue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:29 am 

For people interested in Voivod-like bands (in their progressive period), there is Thought Industry with a bit more Thrash riffs. Pretty interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf14wg__Rxs

Seb On Fire wrote:
You said a riff about Emmure? You mean a larsen, no?

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:22 am 

what's some of the most Ved Buens Ende-y stuff out there? Thing is, I listen to a lot of avant-garde metal and all the usual prog metal subjects that come up alongside VBE, but their music is just a beast all of its own. So I'm not expecting stuff that replicates their style completely, but stuff that comes closer than your Sighs and what have you. VBE's guitar chops are untouchable though.

The most applicable choices I can think of right now are Omnio by In the Woods, which I love, and Virus, which I've listened to before passively but didn't get too immersed, though I'd give th another shot if I should. Fleurety is probably a good choice too, and I seriously love that.

Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)
Noosefiller - Noosefiller (Avant-garde/industrial black metal, IDM
Trouble Salad - A whole plethora of things

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 pm 

Amber Gray wrote:
what's some of the most Ved Buens Ende-y stuff out there? Thing is, I listen to a lot of avant-garde metal and all the usual prog metal subjects that come up alongside VBE, but their music is just a beast all of its own. So I'm not expecting stuff that replicates their style completely, but stuff that comes closer than your Sighs and what have you. VBE's guitar chops are untouchable though.

The most applicable choices I can think of right now are Omnio by In the Woods, which I love, and Virus, which I've listened to before passively but didn't get too immersed, though I'd give th another shot if I should. Fleurety is probably a good choice too, and I seriously love that.

I somewhat recently purchased Gire's album and play it pretty regularly. It's fantastic.

If you like In The Woods... you might like Drawn. Their album A New World? is pretty decent.

You might also like Santifica's second album. (Their first album is more Emperor-style black metal and nothing like Negative B.)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21