Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:35 am 

Nightmare060 wrote:
Hell yes, Aiumeen Basoa is just what I'm looking for! Funilly enough, I just recently descovered both Frosttide and Aether Realm. Both of which certainly hit the sweet spot for my folk metal tastes. Thanks!

No prob man, there's a few other bands I can think of off the top of my head you might like, Crimfall being one, Karlahanand a new one called Hagbard. All of those have some amount of melodeath in them, with Crimfall leaning more towards symphonic folk/power.

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:34 am 

Hi,
i heard yesterday Skálmöld for the first time and to me was the best thing i've heard last year i love his sound, they are tremendous.
Unfortunaly they only have two albums and i want more, what this forum members can suggest me to continue with this kind o music.
Thanks

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:47 pm 

I like Uaral and Empyrium but the vocals annoy me on both, does anyone know anything like these bands but maybe with more black metal elements?

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:03 pm 

What might be the best starting point for Moonsorrow? I've only heard their second.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:20 pm 

I have only heard the first two, and I recommend the 1st one if you have yet to listen to it. It's the same style as the 2nd, but it's less focused and I prefer the 2nd one by far :) Still, it's the same style, so you'll get more of what you enjoy.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:36 pm 

Haha, the problem is I didn't like it that much. I started listening to their third one and It was decent, I'll keep listening. Thanks anyway.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:53 am 

Aydross wrote:
Haha, the problem is I didn't like it that much. I started listening to their third one and It was decent, I'll keep listening. Thanks anyway.

I own all the albums, and my honest opinion is that the first album worthy of a listen is Kivenkantaja, though it's still weaker than the newer albums. From that point on, things get better.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:50 pm 

Yes, Kivenkantaja I did like. Such a catchy album. Might check 'em more.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:32 am 

Verisäkeet got me into Moonsorrow. It was bought on a whim without hearing a note :lol:
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:10 am 

obviously no one has any recommendations for me

Murder of Crows
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:10 pm 

I'm looking for bands that are absolutely drenched in folky atmosphere. Agalloch, Gallowbraid, Skagos, Falls of Rauros.
I like bands that take the song kind of slow with acoustic and other folk instrumental interludes and like I said, heavy on the atmospheric aspect (probably dark and sullen) but not as fast or intense as most viking metal.
If anyone knows some more bands like that, I'd be appreciative.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:00 am 

ok then... looking for some depressive type folk metal with lyrical themes to do with things like herbs, trees, nature, meditation and spirituality. Maybe something similar to Herbst

No songs about epic sword fights or viking kingdoms or triumphant sing alongs while drinking mead please

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:51 pm 

Murder of Crows wrote:
I'm looking for bands that are absolutely drenched in folky atmosphere. Agalloch, Gallowbraid, Skagos, Falls of Rauros.
I like bands that take the song kind of slow with acoustic and other folk instrumental interludes and like I said, heavy on the atmospheric aspect (probably dark and sullen) but not as fast or intense as most viking metal.
If anyone knows some more bands like that, I'd be appreciative.

check out "Винланд" from Ледяной Гром's Зимовка во льдах

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:03 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
check out "Винланд" from Ледяной Гром's Зимовка во льдах

Wow, Ledyanoy Grom's still around? I have her 2008 album, which was pretty promising. I'll have to see if I can find the new one.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:39 pm 

So I'm starting to watch Mushishi again since season two is coming out soon, and the music is just getting to me. Cana nyone recomend some neo-folk that sounds sort of like these songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOvqFN7 ... EBAA439752

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU7WK89 ... EBAA439752

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CFdDzJ ... EBAA439752

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:21 am 

Big_Grand wrote:
So I'm starting to watch Mushishi again since season two is coming out soon, and the music is just getting to me. Cana nyone recomend some neo-folk that sounds sort of like these songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOvqFN7 ... EBAA439752

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU7WK89 ... EBAA439752

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CFdDzJ ... EBAA439752

neofolk definitely doesn't sound like that. maybe neoclassical, I dunno. new age stuff, too.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:42 pm 

I'll look into those two genres, the songs just reminded me a lot of Tenhi so I assumed neo-folk

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46 pm 

I love Mushishi, and the music is fantastic in that show. I would think maybe some ethnoambient music would be what you're looking for. I hear some similarities with Moon Far Away (their album "Belovodie" is fantastic). They have vocals but the music is a mix of folk and electronic. I'm sure there are many others, but I'm not as familiar with the genre as I'd like.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:39 pm 

Ethnoambient is amazing from what I've heard so far, thanks for telling me about it.

Another Typical Metal Newbie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:32 pm 

I'm new on Viking Metal... Could someone recommend me some good viking metal bands? Mainstream, underrated... Your top viking metal bands.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:31 pm 

From what I've been recommended myself, Moonsorrow are the most consistent.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:01 pm 

Another Typical Metal Newbie wrote:
I'm new on Viking Metal... Could someone recommend me some good viking metal bands? Mainstream, underrated... Your top viking metal bands.

Bathory's Viking albums; blood Fire Death, Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods, Blood on Ice, Destroyer of Worlds for it's couple of good songs and both of his Nordland albums. This is the band that pioneered viking metal, epic long mid-paced songs and fantastic riffage abound.
Other decent albums are Nokturnal Mortum's Голос сталі or Voice of Steel in English, Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power, Thyrfing self titled, and every Windir album.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:59 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:

Bathory's Viking albums; blood Fire Death, Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods, Blood on Ice, Destroyer of Worlds for it's couple of good songs and both of his Nordland albums. This is the band that pioneered viking metal, epic long mid-paced songs and fantastic riffage abound.
Other decent albums are Nokturnal Mortum's Голос сталі or Voice of Steel in English, Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power, Thyrfing self titled, and every Windir album.

Thanks! I'll put the bands on my bookmarks and after listening some albums I'll go with them.

StealthX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:53 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:

Bathory's viking metal albums are all amazing, and Scald's Will Of The Gods Is Great Power is the best. I don't know about the other bands because they don't seem to be in English and I don't listen to that, but definitely check out Bathory and Scald, also Amon Amarth obviously.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:40 pm 

I would definitely check out Windir if you haven't already, Fagning is what got me hooked on all the bands alike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYtdsb3t20Y&feature=kp

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:57 pm 

Big_Grand wrote:
I would definitely check out Windir if you haven't already, Fagning is what got me hooked on all the bands alike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYtdsb3t20Y&feature=kp

Pretty awesome song! Thanks.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:31 pm 

Ereb Altor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExSJadIR77c

Falkenbach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYDe86iFp7s

Both bands are really well-known but definitely some of the best viking metal around.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:09 am 

StealthX wrote:
Bathory's viking metal albums are all amazing, and Scald's Will Of The Gods Is Great Power is the best. I don't know about the other bands because they don't seem to be in English and I don't listen to that, but definitely check out Bathory and Scald, also Amon Amarth obviously.

um...why?

imagine if someone said 'I want metal, but I don't listen to anything made by white guys'.

most of the awesome folk metal is non-English. you're really going to miss out with a standard like that.

Draken91
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:48 pm 

I'm looking for some raw, primitive black metal, not polished production etc, with strong folk/viking/Pagan influences. Kind of like Filosofem or Hvis Lyseet Tar Oss by Burzum I suppose, though with much more folk influence (obviously). Alternatively, something like the acoustic version of Burning Eyes of the Werewolf by Satanic Warmaster on the Behexen split. Poor production isn't necessary, for example, I very much like Windir, though for some reason I find it more atmospheric hearing guitars turn into fuzz... Quite into Helheim's debut, or early Enslaved, if that helps? Anyway, thanks in advance!

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:37 pm 

Draken91 wrote:
I'm looking for some raw, primitive black metal, not polished production etc, with strong folk/viking/Pagan influences. Kind of like Filosofem or Hvis Lyseet Tar Oss by Burzum I suppose, though with much more folk influence (obviously). Alternatively, something like the acoustic version of Burning Eyes of the Werewolf by Satanic Warmaster on the Behexen split. Poor production isn't necessary, for example, I very much like Windir, though for some reason I find it more atmospheric hearing guitars turn into fuzz... Quite into Helheim's debut, or early Enslaved, if that helps? Anyway, thanks in advance!

Nothing beats Kampfar IMO:

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:09 pm 

@Draken91:

I suggest Borkanagar's s/t debut. To me that one is a masterpiece of archaic (yet not noisy ;) ) bm with slight "pagan/folk" (for
whatever that means) touches. Their later albums were also quite good but on their debut everything is perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7r-ZlZ99pY

Draken91 wrote:
...for some reason I find it more atmospheric hearing guitars turn into fuzz...

without pagan/folk influences but possibly to your liking:
"Seil På Skyggans Hav" by the rather unknown Draugsang.

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:49 pm 

Draken91 wrote:

Try Norway's Eljudner: http://youtu.be/PYS2QXNlb9Y

Draken91
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:12 am 

Crypt666 wrote:
Nothing beats Kampfar IMO:

I've heard the name many times, but they seemed to end up in my "should listen to but never seem to get around to it" pile until now, thanks! Cheers for the suggestions

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:15 am 

Some neofolk mixed with metal (prefrebly black) with that more organic less refined well produced sound, something like early Agalloch ??

Also this is for EROTETIC, is there any dark/ambient type neofolk bands/artist in NZ based on nz/moari history ?

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:03 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
Also this is for EROTETIC, is there any dark/ambient type neofolk bands/artist in NZ based on nz/moari history ?

man, I don't know any of the local acts, in any genre. sorry.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:47 pm 

Do you know any folk/melodeath or death metal band which uses nyckelharpa or viola da gamba?

Last edited by Metantoine on Sat May 24, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic moved here. I already told you to use the help threads, no?

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:07 am 

Do you know any folk/melodeath or death metal band which uses nyckelharpa or viola da gamba?

Attonitus use a nyckelharpa, they're standard German folk metal, not melodeath, but probably the best you're going to get.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:21 pm 

can anyone think of any folk metal songs that use a waltz time signature?

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:01 pm 

Erotetic wrote:

Attonitus use a nyckelharpa, they're standard German folk metal, not melodeath, but probably the best you're going to get.

Thanks! I'll be listening to it.

Thyrnar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:21 am 

Erotetic wrote:
can anyone think of any folk metal songs that use a waltz time signature?

The opening to Korpiklaani's Metsälle is in 3/4, but it switches time signatures about a minute and a half in.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 42  Next