Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LargeHadronCollider_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:27 pm 

I recommend two italian bands: Lou Quinse (Italian/french) and Folk Stone.

Lou Quinse have growls and sing in an ancient french/italian dialect http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=hZk1IbI5TVU

Folk Stone have clean vocals and sing in italian
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGfIe3cykE

I'm sure someone'll like them

Last edited by LargeHadronCollider_ on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LargeHadronCollider_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:26 pm 

neonchipmunk wrote:
Hello. I was wondering if there were other bands similar to Eluveitie. Bands that play metal that sounds more like traditional celtic music that make use of traditional celtic instruments? Bagpipes would be nice. Extra points for clean vocals.
[/quote]

have you tried Aes Dana? they're celtic black/folk and pretty good to listen to

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:10 am 

Thinking of making a blind purchase for Jotunspor. I want two informed opinions on this project before I do. Thanks.

Scowl_Owl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:06 pm 

Can there be a more worthy band of the folk metal type to recommend here than Bergthron. I have Verborgen in den Tiefen der Wälder, Faust Für Faust and Leben Und Lebenswille and I can tell you that without any doubt they are amazing and about as good as you can get. I would recommend starting with Faust Für Faust as it's amazingly good and it's over nine minutes longer than Verborgen in den Tiefen der Välder

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:37 pm 

Scowl_Owl wrote:
Can there be a more worthy band of the folk metal type to recommend here than Bergthron. I have Verborgen in den Tiefen der Wälder, Faust Für Faust and Leben Und Lebenswille and I can tell you that without any doubt they are amazing and about as good as you can get. I would recommend starting with Faust Für Faust as it's amazingly good and it's over nine minutes longer than Verborgen in den Tiefen der Välder

I've heard Verborgen and it is really good, atmospheric stuff.
As far as I remember other stuff was not so great as Verborgen but definitely not bad.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:05 pm 

slavonic777 wrote:
Scowl_Owl wrote:

I've heard Verborgen and it is really good, atmospheric stuff.
As far as I remember other stuff was not so great as Verborgen but definitely not bad.

I have Verbogen and Jagdheim and I have never really given them a proper chance. They seemed pretty good, but I haven't listened to them for a while. I'll have to give them another listen this weekend. Coincidentally, I ordered Faust Für Faust a few days ago, so maybe that one will grab me more.

~Guest 177729
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:52 pm 

Metsatoll from Serbia. Damned good folk Metal. Very heavy, almost Thrashy rythms. Very good vocal melodies and folkish atmospheres and a few folkie instruments I guess.

Scowl_Owl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:32 pm 

What more worthwhile a debut contribution to Encyclopaedia Metallum could there be than to recommend Bergthron to fans of Folk/Black Metal? Samekh, I can hardly believe that a fan of music like the bands which get discussed in this thread owns Verborgen but hasn't yet bothered to get into it. Do so. It's excellent. Faust Für Faust certainly grabbed me and I believe will never let me go. Slavonic777, it's not the case that their other albums aren't as good. Faust Für Faust is as good or better and over nine minutes longer than it and Leben Und Lebenswille is also very good and much longer than even Faust Für Faust. Glenhetfield, I own the Metsatöll album Hiiekoda and it's very good. That's another great recommendation for this interesting and informative thread

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:25 pm 

It is strictly subjective.

Rizzelet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:42 am 

Hey guys, first post

I've been really into Thyrfing's Farsotstrider lately, particularly the track, Höst. I love the shriek-like vocals and the heavy and slow guitar. I also enjoy the acoustic folk interludes in their songs and how they don't take over the song.

I wasn't sure if this was the right thread or if I should have gone to Black Metal help. Any recommendations for me related to this album/song would be greatly appreciated.

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:47 pm 

I don't know is this is the proper thread to ask but:
Few days ago i found this amazing thing called Trobar De Morte-Legends Of Blood And Light
I really do'n't know what are they playing but I think it's some sort of folk.
So my question would be is there anything like Trobar De Morte?
Thanks in advance :D

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:51 pm 

Rizzelet wrote:
I've been really into Thyrfing's Farsotstrider lately, particularly the track, Höst. I love the shriek-like vocals and the heavy and slow guitar. I also enjoy the acoustic folk interludes in their songs and how they don't take over the song.
Moonsorrow might sound like an obvious recommendation, but they have all those elements you mentioned, and they're the only such band that I know really. If you haven't check out Verisäkeet in particular. It's also similarly dark as Farsotstider, and if possible much darker.

~Guest 135210
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:09 pm 

LargeHadronCollider_ wrote:
I recommend two italian bands: Lou Quinse (Italian/french) and Folk Stone.

Lou Quinse have growls and sing in an ancient french/italian dialect http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=hZk1IbI5TVU

Folk Stone have clean vocals and sing in italian
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGfIe3cykE

I'm sure someone'll like them

I didn't know Lou Quinse (from the name they seem to be from Cuneo) but I like Folk Stone: I've seen them live at the celtic fest near Biella and they were awesome!

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:31 pm 

I'm looking for folk / doom (preferably of the traditional variety) and I have a hunch this thread would be more helpful than the Doom help one. Solstice and Doomsword have folk elements, that's all I can think of.

alliaphagist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:00 am 

I'm looking for bands that use more of the sort of Scandinavian folk that seems to be a bit baroque and doesn't follow regular meter. I'm sick of all the bouncy celtic stuff. The only two I know of are Tyr and Hardingrock. Anything else?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:06 am 

I guess no one really has bothered to buy Jotunspor so maybe it is all the well. I'll pass on it unless I can get it cheaper.

Hellpuppet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:11 am 

i'd like to know of any bands similer to amon amarth, vocal and guitar wise.. not really into stuff with violins and you know, heavily folk..just bands that sound like amon amarth xD haha..

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:14 am 

Well Amon Amarth isn't really folk at all.. just straight up melodic death metal. But since this is a folk thread, I'll recommend Runic, who sound a lot like them and are a bit more epic and folky.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:20 am 

Yeah I don't see how AA can be seen as folk metal. The thread is also for Vike metal but they are generally not seen as of that sub either because their sound is decidedly melodic death.

Hellpuppet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:24 am 

Hmm now that i think of it amon isnt really folk. but usally when i think of melodic death metal i think of Imperanon, Insomnium, Kalmah, Mors Principium Est, ect..and AA is much different than them with their whole viking theme. so thats where i'm getting at basically.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:29 am 

doom_monger wrote:
I'm looking for folk / doom (preferably of the traditional variety) and I have a hunch this thread would be more helpful than the Doom help one. Solstice and Doomsword have folk elements, that's all I can think of.

Silent Stream of Godless Elegy

Hellpuppet wrote:
i'd like to know of any bands similer to amon amarth, vocal and guitar wise.. not really into stuff with violins and you know, heavily folk..just bands that sound like amon amarth xD haha..

Wulfgar! They sound very similar to Amon Amarth.

Hellpuppet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:50 am 

thx for the bands but just wondering, @ snowgrave whats one of Wulfgar's noticable songs in ur opinion? my internet kinda sucks so i can't really listen to that many songs at once =/ so i'll try to listen to one of their best lol. yeah im kinda picky

but thanks tho

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:43 am 

I would say "Cleansed By Fire" and "Heimdal's Horn" are my two favorite tracks of theirs.

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:46 am 

So will anybody answer my request? :D

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:32 pm 

balkonas wrote:
Few days ago i found this amazing thing called Trobar De Morte-Legends Of Blood And Light

Well, I've heard Trobar De Morte and I must say they aren't metal. But I've heard sounds similar to theirs. Daemonia Nymphe might be what you're looking for. Have a greek folk sound, not that metal, but they sound really good.

Try it out, and if it isn't what you're looking for, I might have something else for you.

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:53 pm 

Crepuscular wrote:
balkonas wrote:

Well, I've heard Trobar De Morte and I must say they aren't metal. But I've heard sounds similar to theirs. Daemonia Nymphe might be what you're looking for. Have a greek folk sound, not that metal, but they sound really good.

Try it out, and if it isn't what you're looking for, I might have something else for you.

Daemonia Nymphe are simillar but Trobar De Morte has this medieval music feelling so basiclly i'm looking for somthing like that :D
But thanks for reccomend

AleXTreme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:51 pm 

LargeHadronCollider_ wrote:
neonchipmunk wrote:
Hello. I was wondering if there were other bands similar to Eluveitie. Bands that play metal that sounds more like traditional celtic music that make use of traditional celtic instruments? Bagpipes would be nice. Extra points for clean vocals.

have you tried Aes Dana? they're celtic black/folk and pretty good to listen to[/quote]

I recomend Dalriada or Echoes of Dalriada (the former name) good folk metal with clean vocals

Seitengewehr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:42 pm 

doom_monger wrote:

Try Vo Skorbjah ... a russian folk/funeral doom...

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:12 pm 

Seitengewehr wrote:
doom_monger wrote:

Vo Skorbyah is awesome. I never get tired of that CD.

Seitengewehr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:31 pm 

samekh wrote:
Seitengewehr wrote:
doom_monger wrote:

I don't listen to them now..but..am glad that they are visiting my little country...

sumorabbit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:39 pm 

Brilliant thread!

I like bands like Alestorm, Tyr, Ensiferum, and some Einherjer (the more folk oriented stuff, not the blacker material) I was wondering if there were more bands that resembled that style. Folk metal/power metal that isn't all about fairies and dragons.

-Sun Tzu

ManOfTheKing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:53 pm 

samekh wrote:
Seitengewehr wrote:
doom_monger wrote:

Ereb Altor! They're an incredible Viking/Doom band. Check out the album By Honour

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:57 pm 

Has Amon Amarth played any South America shows yet?

NetherFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:49 am 

ManOfTheKing wrote:
samekh wrote:
Seitengewehr wrote:
doom_monger wrote:

Ereb Altor! They're an incredible Viking/Doom band. Check out the album By Honour

+1

try their song awakening on their myspace page

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:33 am 

+2 To Ereb Altor you can get there 4 track demo here http://hem.bredband.net/criols/ea.htm (band sanctioned d/load link), well worth checking out, great band.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:58 pm 

ManOfTheKing wrote:
samekh wrote:
Seitengewehr wrote:
doom_monger wrote:

Crom (Germany) as well. It's not doom like Ereb Altor, but it's like Bathory with good vocals and more traditional heavy metal influences.

Also Scald (Russia) should be mentioned if we're talking about Viking doom metal. Absolutely essential.

spikesgoregasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:49 am 

The_Boss wrote:
JWalker wrote:
For those of you that like Eluveitie, Equilibrium, from Germany, play Epic Folk/Viking Metal that is absolutely amazing. They only have one album out now, but another is coming in June.

I'm assuming you've heard the obvious Wintersun and Turisas, but if you haven't that might work. Also possibly Tverd by Pagan Reign.

Cadacross might work.

Falchion's full lengths might work, but they're nothing too special.

Thyrfing's Farsotstider is in the similar vein.

=] Wintersun and Turisas are great. I saw Turisas back in November and they were AMAZING

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:50 am 

tyrannus696 wrote:
Folkearth please

I do agree. They have an offshoot of Folkearth called Folkodia which is a similar project and equally as good. Also a band some what similar to Folkearth and yet equally as good and hardly known is a band called Folkstone, very good folk metal from Italy.

spikesgoregasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:55 am 

gomorro wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:
You mean like Celtic folk metal? Yeah there are a bunch.
Yeah but with some ballsy fiffs, bagpipes, fast sollos, violines, and manly vocals or harsh

Turisas uses alot of Violins and have some pretty fast solos. They also use accordians which sounds AMAZING.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:57 pm 

sumorabbit wrote:
Brilliant thread!

I like bands like Alestorm, Tyr, Ensiferum, and some Einherjer (the more folk oriented stuff, not the blacker material) I was wondering if there were more bands that resembled that style. Folk metal/power metal that isn't all about fairies and dragons.

You might like Forefather. There are elements of folk, power metal, and black metal in their sound. Their latest album, "Steadfast," is excellent. If you prefer a greater ratio of sung vocals to black metal vocals, check out the album that came before that, "Ours Is the Kingdom."

Out of the bands you mentioned, Forefather would be closest to Ensiferum, because there's a mix of vocal styles and also great, melodic guitar riffs.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 42  Next