Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:18 am 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Hey.. I'm looking for acoustic, lengthy, instrumental folk in the vein of Agalloch's acoustic stuff. Any recs?

These aren't entirely instrumental, but there's some good acoustic stuff by Tenhi, October Falls (the early releases, though they're not lengthy), Ulver ("Kveldssanger"), and the last two Empyrium albums. Also check out Svafnir and Sig.Ar.Tyr, which go from acoustic to metal.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:50 pm 

samekh wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:
Hey.. I'm looking for acoustic, lengthy, instrumental folk in the vein of Agalloch's acoustic stuff. Any recs?

These aren't entirely instrumental, but there's some good acoustic stuff by Tenhi, October Falls (the early releases, though they're not lengthy), Ulver ("Kveldssanger"), and the last two Empyrium albums. Also check out Svafnir and Sig.Ar.Tyr, which go from acoustic to metal.

Thanks, I'll check em out :)

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:29 pm 

Loka wrote:
I only want scandinavian Black metalviking music
(from Sveriger norge island and Danmark)
No fake bands from ASIA that haven't grown up here.

And NOT

Isengård
Storm
Otyg
Bathory

I like songs about the dark Scandinavian woods,
because its familiar.
Any recommendations?
Windir may be up your alley.

ferknight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:31 pm 

Is there another band that sounds similar to Asmegin on Hin Vordende Sod & Sø album? I love that album.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:53 am 

Though a bit more of the newer more popular sounding "bouncy" folk metal, try Kivimetsan Druidi's Shadowheart. Reminds me a lot of Asmegin's debut, though I haven't heard it in a while..

Pagan Reign, Turisas, Thronar occasionally give that kind of vibe as well, might be worth checking out.

ferknight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:00 pm 

The_Boss wrote:
Though a bit more of the newer more popular sounding "bouncy" folk metal, try Kivimetsan Druidi's Shadowheart. Reminds me a lot of Asmegin's debut, though I haven't heard it in a while..

Pagan Reign, Turisas, Thronar occasionally give that kind of vibe as well, might be worth checking out.

Thanks Pagan Reign was just what I needed.

Woods_to_Eternity
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:19 pm 

Does anybody know of some Viking Metal bands that are well produced, slow-ish and bass heavy? I already love Moonsorrow and Thyrfing.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:54 pm 

I'm sort of running out of new things to listen to. I've checked out all of the big names in folk metal, but now I'm looking for some other good stuff.

I love fast upbeat riffs, laden with acordian and fiddle. Pipes and flutes are pretty cool as well. Sad or mellow songs in any way do not really peak my intrest (except Suden Joiku by Korpiklaani =b). Also for some reason, long songs do nothing but bore me, no matter how good they are.

Here are the bands I like and why...
- Turisas - excellent combination of brass and folk instruments, Saahi-Waari is my current favorite folk metal song
- Skiltron - fast and bursting with pipes, one of the few bands with clean vocals I'll dare listen to for some reason
- Alestorm - I love the cheesy pirate theme and happy choruses
- Folkearth - So many different styles that everyone has to like at least some of their stuff =b
- Eluveitie - Pipes + harsh vocals = fun
- Korpiklaani - pretty much the ideal of what I'm looking for, lots of fiddle and acordian, slightly abrasive vocals, but not enough to kill the happy mood
- Equilibrium - Amazing keyboards and innovative use of chorus and symphonic instruments as a mood setter

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:11 pm 

kale100 wrote:
I'm sort of running out of new things to listen to. I've checked out all of the big names in folk metal, but now I'm looking for some other good stuff.

I love fast upbeat riffs, laden with acordian and fiddle. Pipes and flutes are pretty cool as well. Sad or mellow songs in any way do not really peak my intrest (except Suden Joiku by Korpiklaani =b). Also for some reason, long songs do nothing but bore me, no matter how good they are.

- Turisas - excellent combination of brass and folk instruments, Saahi-Waari is my current favorite folk metal song
- Skiltron - fast and bursting with pipes, one of the few bands with clean vocals I'll dare listen to for some reason
- Folkearth - So many different styles that everyone has to like at least some of their stuff =b
- Korpiklaani - pretty much the ideal of what I'm looking for, lots of fiddle and acordian, slightly abrasive vocals, but not enough to kill the happy mood
- Equilibrium - Amazing keyboards and innovative use of chorus and symphonic instruments as a mood setter

I could give this a shot. Alright...

Arkona: Really great folk/pagan metal with a female screamer. It's not what you expect..trust me. I would definitely give them a try. Ot Serdtsa K Nebu is one of their better releases.
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=%2026171

Dalriada: I kind of recommend them to everyone, just because it's awesome folk metal with a growler and a clean female vocalist. Again, not what you think. It's not all lame and cheesy. Straight up folk metal with very catchy songs. It might take a little to sink in but I'm hoping you'll like it. Szelek is easily one of my favorite folk albums. Especially the track Hajnalpír.
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=91866

Tyr: Yeah, I'm sure you've heard of them. If you haven't though, check them out. Amazing progressive folk.

Ásmegin: Here's one that I know uses Accordions, Mandolins, Mellotrons, and Pianos. Hin Vordende Sod & Sø is an amazing release and I highly recommend it. Straight up folk. :)
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3201

KerberosOfHades
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:08 pm 

@Kale100: I'll second Arkona and Tyr, Arkona have some long songs, but also plenty of shorter ones.

Also, try Tuatha De Danann from Brazil: Very upbeat stuff. Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5e-Z4LDUSQ
Sorry for the poor video quality.

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:31 pm 

Kale100: Try Kalevala (Rus)

Woods_to_Eternity
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:32 am 

Is Tyr mentioned above the one that's Tyr (Fro) in the list? One with album Ragnarok?

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:10 am 

Tyr I've listened to for a while, never really caught on. Arkona and Kalevala I actually just checked out a few days ago (when going through like 20 pages of "folk metal" on youtube) they are pretty amazing, I'm going to look more into them. Those other two I am going to check out right now :)

Dalriada I'm not too fond of, I should've mentioned that I only like female vocals in rare circumstances.

ásmegin is cool though, I'll definitely be looking into them more.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:32 pm 

What would you recommend to a fan of viking-era Bathory? I'm pretty well versed in a lot of folk, but Quorthon gave Bathory a unique sound.

Also interested in anything that sounds like Windir's song; "Journey To The End" (apart from the last half).

Summerwind_Heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:21 pm 

^
If you like Viking era Bathory, you will love Crom (ger).

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:05 pm 

Summerwind_Heathen wrote:
^
If you like Viking era Bathory, you will love Crom (ger).

I already do :)

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:32 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
What would you recommend to a fan of viking-era Bathory? I'm pretty well versed in a lot of folk, but Quorthon gave Bathory a unique sound.

Also interested in anything that sounds like Windir's song; "Journey To The End" (apart from the last half).

Whats wrong with the last half? Just curious...

Try Cor Scorpii, band of Windir members, pretty decent. Sounds like Windir in fact...

PengPeng
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:27 am 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:

get yourself Ereb Altor's "By Honour" - you can't get more Bathory by a non-Bathory band :D

if you can "tolerate" some BM screamlike vocals besides the epic "ohohooo" Choruses I can recommend Morrigan's album "Headcult" a big damn lot! A brilliant Bathory-esque album!

And here are some further recs:
FALKENBACH (don't like them so much, can't say why exactly...)
SCALD (brilliant - but only one album....)
GRAVELAND (some stuff, esp. "Memory & Destiny" and "Creed of Iron")
IUVENES (hmm, coming close to my search but their songs don't grab me much)
NACHTFALKE (a few songs are real killers!)

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:58 am 

Acidgobblin wrote:
BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:

Try Cor Scorpii, band of Windir members, pretty decent. Sounds like Windir in fact...

Also try Mistur's "Attende" for a bit of Windir worship also featuring ex-Windir man Strom, being a Windir fan this is prob the closest band you will find to Valfar's music, check out their demo too, others I highly rec are Sigtyr and Feigd also excellent stuff, as far as the Bathroy rec go you will not go far wrong with Pengpeng recommendations especially Ereb Altor, and if you are looking for something similar to the Blood,Fire,Death harsher era,try HEL (GER) first two albums and you might be interested in Belenos (FRA) though the later is a more like melodic black metal but they are two great bands.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:54 pm 

Acidgobblin wrote:
BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:

I really like the general epic sound that just climaxes at the end of the clean vocals, and the short instrumental bit that follows is where it should have ended. It's not that I don't like the (electro?) bit that followed, in fact I actually like it, I just don't think it suits the song, like the song already finished.

Also, I do have Cor Scorpii, but I haven't given it a real listen yet (listening to it now though.)

Quote:
get yourself Ereb Altor's "By Honour" - you can't get more Bathory by a non-Bathory band Big grin

if you can "tolerate" some BM screamlike vocals besides the epic "ohohooo" Choruses I can recommend Morrigan's album "Headcult" a big damn lot! A brilliant Bathory-esque album!

And here are some further recs:
FALKENBACH (don't like them so much, can't say why exactly...)
SCALD (brilliant - but only one album....)
GRAVELAND (some stuff, esp. "Memory & Destiny" and "Creed of Iron")
IUVENES (hmm, coming close to my search but their songs don't grab me much)
NACHTFALKE (a few songs are real killers!)

Haven't heard of any of these yet, thanks.

Quote:
Also try Mistur's "Attende" for a bit of Windir worship also featuring ex-Windir man Strom, being a Windir fan this is prob the closest band you will find to Valfar's music, check out their demo too, others I highly rec are Sigtyr and Feigd also excellent stuff, as far as the Bathroy rec go you will not go far wrong with Pengpeng recommendations especially Ereb Altor, and if you are looking for something similar to the Blood,Fire,Death harsher era,try HEL (GER) first two albums and you might be interested in Belenos (FRA) though the later is a more like melodic black metal but they are two great bands.

Bought Attende last week, pretty sweet album. I was playing it extra-loud when my brother brought over his idiot friends from college. Don't know any of the rest, but I'll give them a try too.

FenrirFangs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:15 pm 

kale100 wrote:

You may know of them, but if not, give Svartsot a try. Love them.

PengPeng
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:00 pm 

anyone got some recs for me looking for mid paced Pagan stuff in the vein of Woodtemple and mid-era (Creed of Iron, Memory & Destiny) Graveland?
of course there are tons of pagan bands but these two (or rather Graveland who inspired Woodtemple) have a rather distinct sound imho...

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:59 pm 

Quote:
I really like the general epic sound that just climaxes at the end of the clean vocals, and the short instrumental bit that follows is where it should have ended. It's not that I don't like the (electro?) bit that followed, in fact I actually like it, I just don't think it suits the song, like the song already finished.

Its the freakin journey after death! if that wasn't there, it would just be called 'Death' with not much of a journey. Listen to the whole thing in a poetic state of mind to erase that perception.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:27 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Quote:

Its the freakin journey after death! if that wasn't there, it would just be called 'Death' with not much of a journey. Listen to the whole thing in a poetic state of mind to erase that perception.

It's Journey to the End", not "Journey After Death"...

But yeah, I understand what you mean, it still feels like two different songs to me, even though overall, it's my favourite Windir track.

Also, listening to Scald at the mo, thank you so much.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:06 pm 

I love the end of "Journey to the End", the meandering 303 synth line sits pefectly. Cleay Valfar was into trance, at least judging by the rather awful trance remx on Valfar, Ein Windir. Now that song is REALLY BAD.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:44 pm 

PengPeng wrote:
anyone got some recs for me looking for mid paced Pagan stuff in the vein of Woodtemple and mid-era (Creed of Iron, Memory & Destiny) Graveland?
of course there are tons of pagan bands but these two (or rather Graveland who inspired Woodtemple) have a rather distinct sound imho...

Hey pengpeng a bit of topic, but I just discovered a new Bathory style band I think you will like very much, the vocalist is very similar to Quarthorn, Stormheit from Finland, great stuff indeed, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRd8UoVasZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clO8Tzwmeyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjZmUzXi ... re=related

PengPeng
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:43 am 

Hey Stromm - thanks for the rec! The little Grimgirl is always happy about Bathory worshipping bands ;) Will check it out directly when back home! :)

To the others (again) : any recs for music in the mentioned Graveland (to Creed of Iron & memory and Destiny times) or Woodtemple?

btw - I can't really understand why Woodtemple always is rated so mediocre or even bad. Sure they (he) are (is) influenced mainly by Graveland but there are myriads of Folk bands influenced by Finntroll, Ensiferum etc. and no one cares or even rates those "clones" high.
I personally really enjoy the Woodtemple albums (esp. the first and the newest one) - every release transporting a great mixture of nature-bond heathen and warriorlike feelings...

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:21 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Quote:

It's Journey to the End", not "Journey After Death"...

But yeah, I understand what you mean, it still feels like two different songs to me, even though overall, it's my favourite Windir track.

Also, listening to Scald at the mo, thank you so much.

Ah, thats cool. I always envisioned the song in this fashion though: The first half, he knows he is dieing, the fast paced and melodic guitar riff signifies his life to that point. perhaps he is on his deathbed and knows that the 'shadow' is close. He thinks back on his quick life. The part after the clean vocals is the actual death the first song builds toward. When the electronic bit starts, it makes me imagine his essence, or soul for lack of a better word, beginning its journey to its final destination after life, perhaps traveling through space time or through an inner quantum state. I alway imagined that soul reaching out to a light far away and we can join that person on their quest in that last half until they can go on and we can't.

Thats what i get from it.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:28 pm 

What are some good Russian, or other east European folk bands in the vein of Nomans land, Satanakazul, or Paganreign? I have taken a liking to that brand of folk lately.

Cheers

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:33 pm 

I'm curious if they are any worth while Japan bands. Even if remotely connected to folk, I think it could make for an interesting listen.

Wiggl3s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:34 pm 

What counts as folk in Japan? Anime?

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=15803

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:42 pm 

I don't know if it really counts, but sure! Any album you would recommend?

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:09 am 

I've been searching for proper traditional Japanese folk metal for ages no, but no dice. I remember seeing something on a band called "Touko" or something from Japan, which was dubbed folk metal and the band photo was a dude in a Kimono. Never found any music though. I'd like to hear some folk metal with Shamisen and reed flute type stuff, with Japanese folklore lyrics and other cool shit.

Also, just got hom from seeing Ensiferum. FUCK YEAH

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:22 am 

PengPeng wrote:
Hey Stromm - thanks for the rec! The little Grimgirl is always happy about Bathory worshipping bands ;) Will check it out directly when back home! :)

To the others (again) : any recs for music in the mentioned Graveland (to Creed of Iron & memory and Destiny times) or Woodtemple?

btw - I can't really understand why Woodtemple always is rated so mediocre or even bad. Sure they (he) are (is) influenced mainly by Graveland but there are myriads of Folk bands influenced by Finntroll, Ensiferum etc. and no one cares or even rates those "clones" high.
I personally really enjoy the Woodtemple albums (esp. the first and the newest one) - every release transporting a great mixture of nature-bond heathen and warriorlike feelings...

You might like Ashes (uk) "Yggdrasil" album for your recommendation Grimgirl, great album, (has an old Bathory feel to it also).

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=151480

Last edited by STORMM on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:27 am 

Slag wrote:
I'm curious if they are any worth while Japan bands. Even if remotely connected to folk, I think it could make for an interesting listen.

Not from Japan but China (just incase you are only after that far eastern sound), Zuriaake's "Afterimage of Autumn" has def got a far eastrern oriental vibe to it, it is more black metal than folk though but def worth a listen. Cant think of any Japan based bands at the minute?

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:03 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Slag wrote:

Not from Japan but China (just incase you are only after that far eastern sound), Zuriaake's "Afterimage of Autumn" has def got a far eastrern oriental vibe to it, it is more black metal than folk though but def worth a listen. Cant think of any Japan based bands at the minute?

Your right on the general vibe I want (but I also knew Jap bands tend to be weird as shit and sometimes brilliant all at once. Sigh comes to my mind to fit that bill.)Back to the band; they are really fucking good. atmospheric bm isn't my cup of tea, however. It's good stuff I just don't like listening to it much. But whenever I feel like listening to that genre they'll be up there in my choice list. Thanks for that rec!

Also Animetal is fucking weird, but captivating. Definitely a fun band to listen to. Thanks Wiggl3s

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:33 am 

Hey Slag, I believe Onmyouza (Onmyo-Za) incorporate a bunch of native Japanese folk influences in some of their stuff. I've only heard a number of their songs and don't own any of their albums, so I'm not sure which ones exactly. This song seems to have some. Nevertheless, from what I've listened to, they're definitely worth checking out anyway because they play fucking amazing heavy metal. Their female singer is actually very talented, and the riffs are fucking awesome.

You could also try Gostwind from Korea. They seem to rely a bit more on the folk influences. Here are 2 of their songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruoj1pCnuIk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfREHZ2ngT8

And there's always the band Whispered who are really fucking cool. Even though they're from Finland they play a Japanese Folk music-inspired brand of melodic death; you can really hear it in the melodies. Have a listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryta9gPHQ0Q
I'm really excited for their upcoming album! :)

PengPeng
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:27 am 

STORMM wrote:
PengPeng wrote:

You might like Ashes (uk) "Yggdrasil" album for your recommendation Grimgirl, great album, (has an old Bathory feel to it also).

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=151480

Hmm, musically Ashes seems to be quite good but the screaming vocal parts are not that great. But I will give them some more runs and maybe it will get me a bit more... Thanks for the rec.!

TeRRorBld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:37 am 

Anyone know a folk band (not folk metal) in that particular style?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shPET-znvnk

Last edited by TeRRorBld on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arcane_Avatar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:27 pm 

What are some good Russian, or other east European folk bands in the vein of Nomans land, Satanakazul, or Paganreign? I have taken a liking to that brand of folk lately.
Cheers

Well, I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject, but since no-one else replied, might as well... As far as Russian bands go, I think you might be looking for Arkona (can't recommend them enough), Tverd (founded by Vetrodar of Pagan Reign, by the way) and...hmm, I'm drawing a blank right now. Another similar slavonic band would be Ukraine's Kroda.

Was I close?
Axiom abhorrent, protean Triumvirate.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 42  Next