Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MorbidSaint69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:53 pm 

What the tile says. I tried to use to advanced search function to look for something but it only led me to christian bands. I wanted to know if the topic of anti-paganism was ever tackled by a NON christian band. Can be of any genre, really.

ThrashTilDeath530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:27 pm 

"Back Through Time" by Alestorm is about pirates going back in time and killing Vikings. It's a dumb joke song like everything Alestorm does, but one of their better ones.

werewolfgraveyard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:52 pm 

I doubt you'd find much if at all. Like in what sense, a religious band that isn't christian that is shitting on non-believers to their specific religion? I doubt you'd find much of that in metal, but if you mean in a broader sense I think you might as well google islamic fundamentalist music or some shit.

MorbidSaint69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:10 pm 

werewolfgraveyard wrote:
I doubt you'd find much if at all. Like in what sense, a religious band that isn't christian that is shitting on non-believers to their specific religion? I doubt you'd find much of that in metal, but if you mean in a broader sense I think you might as well google islamic fundamentalist music or some shit.

I mean in the same sense metal bands complain about christianity, but for pagan religions. Also I meant that the band doesn't have to be overtly christian (or religious for that matter), but can sing from a christian perspective. Witchfinder General, for example, fits the bill.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:27 am 

Arckanum, Wulkanaz and Nawaharjan should fit the bill. All have (or have had at some point) Thursatrú as their lyrical theme - Thursatrú being, from what I gather, the counterpart of Norse paganism, as Satanism is to Christianity.

MorbidSaint69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:08 pm 

mirons wrote:
Arckanum, Wulkanaz and Nawaharjan should fit the bill. All have (or have had at some point) Thursatrú as their lyrical theme - Thursatrú being, from what I gather, the counterpart of Norse paganism, as Satanism is to Christianity.

I ended up going down into the Thursatrú rabbit hole just to make sure what these bands were about. From what it seems, it's kinda based on the Anti-cosmic Luciferian Order (like Dissection?), and it draws inspiration from Norse paganism still.

tl;dr: these guys are both religious and pagan, so they don't fit the bill.

Still an interesting thing to research, so thanks.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:41 pm 

I can't think of any bands that fit, but if you're into movies then you may want to look into the folk horror genre. Classic movies like The Wicker Man (1972) or more recently Midsommar (2019). Usually some ancient Pagan sect are the bad guys.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:50 pm 

https://youtu.be/sCk0VPwQewA?feature=shared

"Noble Crusaders cut down the pagans like weed"

Reply to topic