Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:50 pm 

Your 1000th post!

Gonna take a moment to say that I just can't fucking wait for a new release by Age of Taurus, damn, I like their EP, it's about time they release a LP!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:38 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Your 1000th post!

Gonna take a moment to say that I just can't fucking wait for a new release by Age of Taurus, damn, I like their EP, it's about time they release a LP!

3 accounts and seven years later, I did it, 1000 posts...I just...I just don't have the words, I guess let me start by thanking Mom & Dad, for always believing I could do this, my producers, Chuck Bob Tim and Harry, my dog bubbles for putting up with me being gone for months at a time, and last but not least, my fans, if it wasn't for you I wouldn't be where I am today. I'd actually have a life and not be fat and smelly. Fuck off.

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:49 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

I've been wondering where that band disappeared to. Album coming later this year, no? Felt like a safe bet they would be signed based on the first demo but I guess they're still independent. Maybe it's by own design. Not sold on the MDB vocals but it's something I can look past.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:49 am 

Twitching Tongues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaE99lAoTj8&feature=player_embedded#!

Last FM

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:35 pm 

Anyone here can recommend doom metal that creates an depressing, atmospheric mood, but not so much as to be negative? Melodic vocals are preferred. Kinda like this song.

Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:53 am 

oogboog wrote:
Anyone here can recommend doom metal that creates an depressing, atmospheric mood, but not so much as to be negative? Melodic vocals are preferred. Kinda like this song.

This should fit your mood. One might not classify this as pure doom, but it still does the trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxY1B8mdGuA

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:11 pm 

okay so i've never really been able to get into stoner/doom metal before but i recently heard the new Windhand album and i love it. i'm not sure why i like it so much but i have trouble enjoying other doom bands. take Electric Wizard for example... they're okay, i mean i enjoy listening to Dopethrone to begin with but after a few songs in i always get tired of it and want to start listening to something else. that's how it's been with almost all stoner/doom bands i've heard but with Windhand, i can listen to the entire album and really enjoy it the whole time. are there any other bands that have a very similar sound to them? particularly the vocals? i really love the vocals. (i'm not saying it has to be female vocals, honestly i didn't realize the vocalist was female until a couple days ago lol)

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:46 pm 

A tune from the upcoming Bedemon album. It's been a long wait but soon it'll be over. Huzzah! Anyone else looking forward to this?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:13 pm 

Whoa, they're still going without Palmer? I just assumed it was over now. Will check this tune out as soon as I'm near my computer, super curious.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 am 

It's not a bad song, but it doesn't grab me the way the ancient material did. I've gotta be honest, I think I was spoiled by the basement anti-production and especially Liebling pitching in on vocals. The new guy isn't offensive in any way...but he also doesn't really move me either. I think its neat they're soldiering on but I don't have any intentions of picking up the new album.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:33 pm 

GIMME SOME LOVECRAFTIAN SHIT, YO
I want the sound to fit Lovecraft too, know what I mean?
doesn't have to be Funeral Doom but that's mainly what I've heard so far.
already know Fungoid Stream, Catacombs (I own an album by both), and Innzmouth (waiting for them to release something with more than three actual fucking songs >_>)
doesn't even really have to be Doom I guess, but Doom is my first choice or whatever.
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:39 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:

This.

pakarm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:20 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
already know Fungoid Stream, Catacombs (I own an album by both), and Innzmouth (waiting for them to release something with more than three actual fucking songs >_>)
doesn't even really have to be Doom I guess, but Doom is my first choice or whatever.

Can also try Hesper Payne. They got a odd doom/death style rooted in Lovecraft vibes. Check their bandcamp, you can get their albums for free if your intrigued by them:

http://hesperpayne.bandcamp.com/

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:42 pm 

pakarm wrote:
Suffersystem wrote:

Can also try Hesper Payne. They got a odd doom/death style rooted in Lovecraft vibes. Check their bandcamp, you can get their albums for free if your intrigued by them:

http://hesperpayne.bandcamp.com/

oh shit these guys
I downloaded an album of theirs a while back, never got around to listening to it much
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

TheSimeon88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 pm 

I'm looking for atmospheric sludge metal/post-hardcore like early Neurosis that uses clean vocals that are more like old school traditional metal/traditional doom metal than the usual Neurosis/Isis aping. The less "post-rock" passages the better as well.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:04 pm 

I don't quite understand what you want in the end; Neurosis that don't sound like Neurosis... Post-core where the post-core elements would be replaced by Trad Doom ones...yeah... well, tough request!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:02 pm 

Yeah, it's a bit hard to understand exactly what you're looking for, so I'll just throw out some stuff that fans of 92-96 era Neurosis should like and hopefully you'll find something you'll enjoy:

Damad - Burning Cold: This album is female fronted, but most of the time you can hardly tell. Its crusty, with huge, monolithic sludgy riffs. It is somewhat atmospheric in parts, but they're not big on the whole "post" thing. This isn't Neurosis worship or anything, but their influence is certainly apparent on this album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjw5D4Y2hDA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jXrdTUY4EY

Ecocide - S/T: This is also female fronted and crusty, but it doesn't really sound like Damad at all. This reminds me more of the feel of early(ish) Neurosis than any tangible relation to how Neurosis structured their sound, although some of the sludgy riffs are vaguely similar. This has lots of atmosphere, but not at all in an orthodox post-rock type way (although it may remind some of Godspeed You! Black Emperor, who to me never seemed to sound like the majority of post-rock). Most of the atmosphere comes from the violin parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERQhw2ldw7s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd46j9-Rt6s

Gighandi - Rafflesia: A self proclaimed "Hindustrial" band, Gighandi certainly had their own sound. They mix Enemy of the Sun era Neurosis with a bit of industrial and a lot of far-east music, which proves to be a very potent mix. Probably the most interesting thing I've seen done with a blatantly Neurosis influenced sound.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYzDyzeSffs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm6Ful_c6c0

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:49 am 

Anyone hear or seen the band BerT? Just saw them and they blew me away. Bass player was extremely fat and they sounded like Melvins, Earth and Hawkwind all in one.

TheSimeon88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:41 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
I don't quite understand what you want in the end; Neurosis that don't sound like Neurosis... Post-core where the post-core elements would be replaced by Trad Doom ones...yeah... well, tough request!

Bands that sound like early Neurosis (or even Isis) that use clean vocals that are more like early heavy metal/traditional doom metal than your typical atmospheric sludge metal vocals.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:37 am 

TheSimeon88 wrote:
Morphine1873 wrote:

Bands that sound like early Neurosis (or even Isis) that use clean vocals that are more like early heavy metal/traditional doom metal than your typical atmospheric sludge metal vocals.

Does something like that even exist? How can a hardcore related band use traditional heavy/doom vocals? The request you make makes no sense as the two things you want to see together are worlds apart from each other.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:40 pm 

Can somebody recommend me some funeral doom with (only) clean vocals? I know it technically isn't really funeral doom without growls, but you get what I mean, something that sounds like funeral doom instrumentally but has clean vocals instead of growls. Any help would be appreciated.

:beer:

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:01 pm 

Seems like that kind of request has already been made several times before.

Two bands play that kind of music: Fallen and Thaddaeus in the album "the Gate- Queen of the Night"

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:29 pm 

Oh wow, the new Bedemon is very fucking solid stuff. I'm gonna write a review for it in the coming days. Doom album of the year? Absolutely.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:02 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Oh wow, the new Bedemon is very fucking solid stuff. I'm gonna write a review for it in the coming days. Doom album of the year? Absolutely.

Good to hear.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:36 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Definitely gonna have to research this one....I have the one...the name evaded me right now but its basically lost tapes of the pentegram guys garage days. Who is releasing this?

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:40 pm 

Svart Records from Finland. 2LP & CD.

TheSimeon88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:58 am 

androdion wrote:
Does something like that even exist? How can a hardcore related band use traditional heavy/doom vocals? The request you make makes no sense as the two things you want to see together are worlds apart from each other.

That's what I'm wondering. I just thought it might be interesting to hear. Besides, soul and punk rock are worlds apart from each other yet this band called Invasion plays punk rock with soul vocals. Never say never. ;)

SkullfulOfSludge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:18 pm 

Looking for some blackened doom.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:08 pm 

SkullfulOfSludge wrote:

Stoic Dissention. First Dolorian. If you can stand it more melodic, give a try to Raventale.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:09 pm 

SkullfulOfSludge wrote:

Withered (USA)
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:12 pm 

You could check out Atriarch, pretty cool blackened doom with some ambient and drone, even some deathrock in Doomsday's opinion :)

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:24 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
You could check out Atriarch, pretty cool blackened doom with some ambient and drone, even some deathrock in Doomsday's opinion :)

A damn fine band. There's quite a bit of deathrock in their sound as the band is totally Christian Death influenced. That's what makes them stand out. The band they did a split with, Alaric, goes the other way, playing deathrock with a doom influence.

Darkwolf18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:26 pm 

SkullfulOfSludge wrote:

Nortt, Dance of December Souls by Katatonia, Bethlehem, Dragged Into Sunlight, early Shining, Skitliv, Forgotten Tomb, and the aforementioned Dolorian are essentials.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:18 am 

SkullfulOfSludge wrote:

FLESHPRESS. Their discography is quite varied with the first lp sounding like ehg with black metal vocals, Pillars incorporating blast beats and some dark throne moments. Art of losing all is my favorite, gets quite ambient.

They are sludge, but check it out. Pillars and art of losing all are the best.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:02 am 

SkullfulOfSludge wrote:

Also, be sure to check out the last effort of Elysian Blaze, this is Black Doom of epic proportions. This is grand. You have to be patient, it can take its time to unfold its secrets.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:30 pm 

Looking for some epic doom bands in the vein of Russia's Scald. I already know a selection of bands, such as Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass, Solstice, DoomSword, Mael Mórdha, Wishdoom, Gods Tower and Ereb Altor, but Scald just seems to be different than a lot of them. I'm not entirely sure why, probably the vocals (how they transition from lower operatic stuff to the high epic wail and the very heavy rich-sounding guitars). Anyway, any recommendations for bands or individual albums similar to Scald would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

TheSimeon88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:19 pm 

Just looking for some really dark, heavy, and slow doom from the '90s. (I know the basics so I'd like something a little more obscure please). I would appreciate it if the production was good as well.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 pm 

@BSS: I'm gonna recommend you Evangelist, since they're not obvious like the 2 bands I mentionned earlier. Very good Polish epic doom, I reviewed their album if you want my opinion. Also, Atlantean Kodex of course, but you're probably aware of them because you made your homeworks :)

Simeon: Are you familiar with Revelation? ...Yet So Far is very great, it's with Dennis Cornelius (Memory Driven). It's slow, dark and proggy trad doom. Highly recommended, I'm planning to write a review for this album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93VYQNsUpFA

EvilLegend
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 pm 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Looking for some epic doom bands in the vein of Russia's Scald. I already know a selection of bands, such as Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass, Solstice, DoomSword, Mael Mórdha, Wishdoom, Gods Tower and Ereb Altor, but Scald just seems to be different than a lot of them. I'm not entirely sure why, probably the vocals (how they transition from lower operatic stuff to the high epic wail and the very heavy rich-sounding guitars). Anyway, any recommendations for bands or individual albums similar to Scald would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

http://shadowkingdomrecords.bandcamp.co ... f-defiance

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:04 pm 

AoO is great, but their debut is much better imo. Also I'm flipping many desks about being broke, I want this Hellwell album!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 133  Next