Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Endemoniada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:25 am 

Arcane Sun were/are a really excellent band from Ireland that not many people know about, but are unfortunatly split up and defunct. There songs are very majestic with a lot class riffs and awesome instrumental sections. The album is very very hard to get and I'm lucky to have it. So if anyone is looking interesting doom metal this might what their looking for. You should be able ot get it on amazon.de. If anyone wants I can send them a couple of songs to see what they think, just pm me.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:32 am 

Doomsday wrote:
CrippledLucifer wrote:
This is a dumb question, but anyone knows where the samples from Electric Wizard's album Dopethone (those in Vinum Sabathi, Barbarian and I, the Witchfinder) come from?

Not sure about Vinum Sabbathi but the sample in Barbarian is from Conan the Barbarian and I believe the sample in I, the Witchfinder is from Hexen bis aufs Blut gequält (or: Mark of the Devil) from 1970.

I believe that the quote at the opening of "Vinum Sabbathi" comes from a 20/20 (American TV news show for those who don't know) segment on cults.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:41 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
Doomsday wrote:
CrippledLucifer wrote:
This is a dumb question, but anyone knows where the samples from Electric Wizard's album Dopethone (those in Vinum Sabathi, Barbarian and I, the Witchfinder) come from?

Not sure about Vinum Sabbathi but the sample in Barbarian is from Conan the Barbarian and I believe the sample in I, the Witchfinder is from Hexen bis aufs Blut gequält (or: Mark of the Devil) from 1970.

I believe that the quote at the opening of "Vinum Sabbathi" comes from a 20/20 (American TV news show for those who don't know) segment on cults.

I recall Jus Oborn said in an interview that it was from a right wing christian show which claims that Satanists were kidnapping people and playing Iron Maiden backward to get satanic messages out of it or something :lol:

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:33 pm 

Hello, I recently got into doom metal (shame on me!) and I'm looking for more stuff like Trouble, Witchfinder General, Cathedral, basically anything that reminds me of Sabbath. Thanks in advance!
we sail across the sea!

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:40 pm 

^^^I posted it a page back, but it's worth mentioning at least once per page in this thread: Pagan Altar :metal:^^^

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:41 pm 

Wra1th1s wrote:
Hello, I recently got into doom metal (shame on me!) and I'm looking for more stuff like Trouble, Witchfinder General, Cathedral, basically anything that reminds me of Sabbath. Thanks in advance!

Saint Vitus, Sleep, Pentagram, and Electric Wizard are must haves.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:48 pm 

Wra1th1s wrote:

Hour of 13 and Jex Thoth.

AvengerofTruth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:26 pm 

I've been interested in exploring doom metal for a while, but I usually can't stand anythin too slow or boring. So what kind of heavy, epic, more upbeat doom might I start with?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:30 pm 

AvengerofTruth wrote:
I've been interested in exploring doom metal for a while, but I usually can't stand anythin too slow or boring. So what kind of heavy, epic, more upbeat doom might I start with?

Candlemass. :headbang: Nuff said.

Cryptwatcher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:40 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
AvengerofTruth wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. THEY ARE DEFINATELY WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

Cryptwatcher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:41 pm 

Oh yes, Candlemass wise, check out their album "Epicus Doomicus Metalicus" their songs Solitude and Demon's Gate are outstanding.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:43 pm 

Cryptwatcher wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
AvengerofTruth wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. THEY ARE definitely WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

I like the cut of your jib. The way you left "definitely" in lower case is quite cool. :p

But yeah, check out all of their first four albums, essential Doom.

Cryptwatcher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:47 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Cryptwatcher wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
AvengerofTruth wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. THEY ARE definitely WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

I like the cut of your jib. The way you left "definitely" in lower case is quite cool. :p

But yeah, check out all of their first four albums, essential Doom.

Oh, I did not even notice, haha. I was just holding down the shift button and typing.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:11 am 

AvengerofTruth wrote:

If you want upbeat epic doom nothing beats While Heaven Wept.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:24 am 

Endemoniada wrote:
Arcane Sun were/are a really excellent band from Ireland that not many people know about, but are unfortunatly split up and defunct. There songs are very majestic with a lot class riffs and awesome instrumental sections. The album is very very hard to get and I'm lucky to have it. So if anyone is looking interesting doom metal this might what their looking for. You should be able ot get it on amazon.de. If anyone wants I can send them a couple of songs to see what they think, just pm me.

Oh yes, Arcane Sun are first-rate death/doom.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

J
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:51 pm 

another recommendation for Arcane Sun. A beautiful album. definitely one of a kind.

Sentinel Records will be re-releasing it soon. www.sentinelireland.com

GoatSodomyGasMask
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:31 am 

Doomsday wrote:
AvengerofTruth wrote:

If you want upbeat epic doom nothing beats While Heaven Wept.

Get Dantesco

Fucking brutal epic doom with operatic vocals

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:03 am 

GoatSodomyGasMask wrote:
AvengerofTruth wrote:

Get Dantesco

Fucking brutal epic doom with operatic vocals

Too bad the new album is so weak then.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:19 am 

Could anyone recommand me (melodic) death/doom metal that doesn't sound depressive but pretty relaxing? two good songs as examples are Black winter day by Amorphis and Gothic by Paradise lost.

Thanks in advance!

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:32 am 

Check out Ekklesiast. They're Russian melodic death/doom which I find to be rather relaxed and uplifting. If you don't mind lyrics that are in Russian you might like 'em.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:35 am 

Foxx wrote:
Check out Ekklesiast. They're Russian melodic death/doom which I find to be rather relaxed and uplifting. If you don't mind lyrics that are in Russian you might like 'em.

hehe, though i prefer english lyrics i don't realy care, i'll check em out.

Thanks! :)

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:20 am 

Does anybody know of any space doom? I'm not looking for doom simply with lyrics about space, before anybody recommends me simply bands that sing about space, but bands that have that Hawkwind, Ozric Tentacles kind of vibe - but you know, metal.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:11 pm 

DanFuckingLucas wrote:
Does anybody know of any space doom? I'm not looking for doom simply with lyrics about space, before anybody recommends me simply bands that sing about space, but bands that have that Hawkwind, Ozric Tentacles kind of vibe - but you know, metal.

Monolithe should be close to that, try their albums.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:32 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Could anyone recommand me (melodic) death/doom metal that doesn't sound depressive but pretty relaxing? two good songs as examples are Black winter day by Amorphis and Gothic by Paradise lost.

Thanks in advance!

Syrach - Days of Wrath (2007)

Last edited by DeathForBlitzkrieg on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZackP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:21 pm 

AvengerofTruth wrote:

Mael Mordha

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:51 pm 

ZackP wrote:
AvengerofTruth wrote:

Mael Mordha

Morgion are heavy and epic.

Belial_ thanks, I've downloaded the first album but won't get the chance to give it a go 'til tomorrow.

Necrology666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:26 pm 

If no one said this yet, Cryptal Darkness

RaudtOgSvart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:37 am 

colin040 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

If you don't mind any folk influence, I'd recommend Amber Tears. Very relaxing.

Kiwion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:24 am 

have any of you heard Mournful Congregation - The Dawning of Mournful Hymns? I myself prefer it to the monad of creation. And I'm now kind of searching for something like that one, any suggestions?

+ which would be the best Skepticism to start with?

secretninja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:23 pm 

Can you guys give me some good drone doom?

Cephalopod wrote:
He thinks the gorillas 4 arms and dexterity will save it. I'm skeptical

Torghest666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:39 pm 

secretninja wrote:

LDRTFS, spanish Drone band, a bit in the vein of the popular Sunn O))), but maybe less monothone.

CodyH
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:28 pm 

I was wondering if you guys could maybe point me towards bands that sludge bands such as Buzzov*en and Dystopia drew influence from.

I'm looking to listen further back into sludge metal's tree of influences.

There is certainly some kind of crust punk/hardcore influence as well as doom metal but could anyone point me towards any bands?

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:36 pm 

CodyH wrote:
I was wondering if you guys could maybe point me towards bands that sludge bands such as Buzzov*en and Dystopia drew influence from.

There is certainly some kind of crust punk/hardcore influence as well as doom metal but could anyone point me towards any bands?

The Melvins early albums ("Gluey Porch Treatments", "Ozma", etc) and Black Flag's "My War" are said to be big influences on sludge.

yfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:40 pm 

can anyone give me any information of the projects that Wino involved? I am recently into Spirit Caravan and The Hidden Hand. Both bands are excellent. And I wanna find other projects of Wino or relevent people. Thanks!!!

Infecthead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:20 am 

I really like Warning (UK), are there any other doom bands out there that are as relentlessly depressive?

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:37 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
CodyH wrote:

The Melvins early albums ("Gluey Porch Treatments", "Ozma", etc) and Black Flag's "My War" are said to be big influences on sludge.

Speaking of such, I just got my hands on Burning Witch's Crippled Lucifer, which was reissued recently on 2 CDs. Awesome.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:40 am 

yfg wrote:
can anyone give me any information of the projects that Wino involved? I am recently into Spirit Caravan and The Hidden Hand. Both bands are excellent. And I wanna find other projects of Wino or relevent people. Thanks!!!

Well, of course, there is The Obsessed, Wino's first band. Good stuff, although a bit more Biker-rock than doom to my ears. And then there's Saint Vitus, one of the keystone doom bands. Anything they put out was good. Wino also appeared on the second Place of Skulls disc. Pretty decent stuff. Place of Skulls can get a bit religious at times (not real preachy, though), but that's kind of muted on the album with Wino, probably because Wino's not a Christian and wrote half the songs.

There's a also a project in the works call Shrinebuilder. It includes Scott Kelly from Neurosis and the members of Om. I don't believe there's any music available now, but with that line up, I can't imagine it being anything less than fantastic.

BrutalDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:12 am 

Searching for romantic death/doom or gothic/doom, Any suggestions ?

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:35 am 

BrutalDoom wrote:
Searching for romantic death/doom or gothic/doom, Any suggestions ?

-Romantic Death/Doom:
Dissolving of Prodigy, Mournful Gust, Saturnus, Inborn Suffering, Dimness Through Infinity, Stone Wings, Mar de Grises, Ningizzia, In Somnis, Lethian Dreams, Remembrance, Lament Christ.

-Gothic/Doom:
Silentium, Adagio (Bra), Cryptal Darkness, How Like a Winter, Al Akhirah, Ashes You Leave, Sirrah.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:22 pm 

Torghest666 wrote:
secretninja wrote:

LDRTFS, spanish Drone band, a bit in the vein of the popular Sunn O))), but maybe less monothone.

Terrible recommendation; LDRTFS aren't terrible but they are super repetitive.

Recs:
Hyatari- Very accessible droney stuff, some seriously huge tribal beats, some faster sections, and also plenty of massive low end drones. Highly recommended.

Sunn O))), obviously; get their first two records, big riffs repeated a lot.

Nadja (shut up Kvisling!! :P) Excellent drone doom, very fuzzy and in a way quite pretty; the rerecorded version of touched is their most accessible, some seriously huge riffs and heaps of layering, if you're a patient lad get Thaumogenesis, a rather excellent hour long epic.

Three recommendations is enough; tell me which one of these three you liked the most (and why, etc etc) and we'll go on from there.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 133  Next