Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:02 pm 

Warlord Wossman wrote:
Anybody who got some recommendations for bands with Reverend Bizarre vibe? Mostly like the slow songs that have the really gloomy atmosphere like Eternal Forest or Cirith Ungol.
I would prefer trad doom since it was somewhat hard to find for me (pretty new to the genre tho) with all the stoner/doom and sludgy bands around. Also not the biggest fan of overly melodic and epic doom. Felt kinda hard to find bands like RB for me.

Kinda easy to find if you check on RB's MA similar artists page.
Some recs, I wrote reviews for some of those:
-Serpent Warning
-Acolytes of Moros
-The Wandering Midget
-Minotauri
-Pilgrim (not a fan but they're similar)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:21 pm 

Should probably have said that I went over most similar artists from the MA list already. Thanks for the suggestions anyways, I will probably give some of them another spin.

lloyd93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:18 am 

Anything that sounds like Come my Fanatics... / Dopethrone era Electric Wizard?
I know of the band Dopethrone already.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:15 am 

Warlord Wossman wrote:
Should probably have said that I went over most similar artists from the MA list already. Thanks for the suggestions anyways, I will probably give some of them another spin.

The Wandering Midget's debut is very close to Rev Biz though.

Also, you might like OAK from Sweden : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4vBG-yrLMI
Most songs by Gallow Gods have the slow pace and gloomy side you're seeking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ffwuueDWE

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:54 pm 

lloyd93 wrote:

You should give a listen to all of Electric Wizard's releases. I know it is not much of a recommendation but it should keep you satisfied. I'm certain that damn near every release from Electric Wizard is of quality standards.

Seemann
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:05 am 

Hi all,

Is there something similar to Hanging Garden? I'm in love with their "At Every Door" album. Really like the mood and the way it sounds.

Thanks!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:48 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
lloyd93 wrote:

You should give a listen to all of Electric Wizard's releases. I know it is not much of a recommendation but it should keep you satisfied. I'm certain that damn near every release from Electric Wizard is of quality standards.

Moss maybe?

agent_fist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:03 pm 

Holy hell, have you heard the opener from the new Paradise Lost record?

I want more big, bludgeoning doom/death-doom songs like this one: groovy riffs, slightly-retro melodic leads, a mix of clean and harsh vocals, plus the fist-pumping fighting spirit. What would you recommend?

A Corpse Without Soul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:26 pm 

I'm looking for some strictly instrumental slow albums. I mean something without a single word sung or spoken anywhere on the album. I'm into Earth, Sleep, Ufomammut, Ahab, Bell Witch... I know these are quite different and some has lots of vocals, but you know... etc. - My main focus is, that it should be slow and instrumental. Thanks!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:14 am 

A Corpse Without Soul wrote:
I'm looking for some strictly instrumental slow albums. I mean something without a single word sung or spoken anywhere on the album. I'm into Earth, Sleep, Ufomammut, Ahab, Bell Witch... I know these are quite different and some has lots of vocals, but you know... etc. - My main focus is, that it should be slow and instrumental. Thanks!

Funeral:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMdq7o3jhcw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubdRxABaq5M

Folk-ish Post-Doom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Hw6MoO5Dc

something sludgier:
https://warriorpope.bandcamp.com/album/anchorite

There's also a project worth mentioning: Eirð are trying for years to finalize a full-length album and keep releasing demo versions of the tracks that eventually should be include in it, they are still waiting for a vocalist.
https://eirdhmusic.bandcamp.com/

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:48 am 

A Corpse Without Soul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:08 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:

Funeral:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMdq7o3jhcw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubdRxABaq5M

Folk-ish Post-Doom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Hw6MoO5Dc

something sludgier:
https://warriorpope.bandcamp.com/album/anchorite

There's also a project worth mentioning: Eirð are trying for years to finalize a full-length album and keep releasing demo versions of the tracks that eventually should be include in it, they are still waiting for a vocalist.
https://eirdhmusic.bandcamp.com/

Amazing. Thanks!

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:35 am 

Just found this great band. Thoughts I'd share over here.

And just in case someone can point me to more stuff like this.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:22 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Just found this great band. Thoughts I'd share over here.

And just in case someone can point me to more stuff like this.

Way to clean for my taste

Aztakea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:42 pm 

You should definitely give Monolithe from France a listen if you haven't already. Great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT8lW73jexU

https://aztakea.bandcamp.com/releases

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 am 

Seeing Grand Magus tonight. Wooo!

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:34 pm 

The drummer/vocalist of Kittie is in a legit doom band now.

Pretty good straight to the point stuff.

Last FM

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:42 am 

Looking for sludge / doom with low, guttural vocals and no keyboards - basically not interesting in anything 'epic' or 'psychedelic' and more along the lines of a band like Toner Low in terms of music and no cleans in terms of vocals.

Cheers for any recs!

- Savage

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:24 pm 

NbleSavage wrote:
Looking for sludge / doom with low, guttural vocals and no keyboards - basically not interesting in anything 'epic' or 'psychedelic' and more along the lines of a band like Toner Low in terms of music and no cleans in terms of vocals.

Cheers for any recs!

- Savage

Indian, Primitive Man, Thou, Graves At Sea, Northless, Coffins.

Last FM

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:28 pm 

alexo666 wrote:
NbleSavage wrote:

Cheers for any recs!

- Savage

Indian, Primitive Man, Thou, Graves At Sea, Northless, Coffins.

Appreciate it! I know Primitive Man - great choice - but the others are new and I'll check 'em out!

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 am 

The Purple Hill Witch album that came out last month is a really solid slab of proto-Doom. Kinda the suprise for me this year.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:22 pm 

Are there any obscure and/or not so well known doom metal bands to be recommended for newcomers to the genre ? I'm familiar with the big names such as Pentagram , Trouble , Candlemass , etc. , which is why I'd like to explore their lesser known counterparts .

I'm mainly interested in 80s/old school sounding bands , but all sorts will do as well .

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:55 pm 

Lionel Fauquier wrote:
Are there any obscure and/or not so well known doom metal bands to be recommended for newcomers to the genre ? I'm familiar with the big names such as Pentagram , Trouble , Candlemass , etc. , which is why I'd like to explore their lesser known counterparts .

I'm mainly interested in 80s/old school sounding bands , but all sorts will do as well .

I recently recommended Black Hole in another thread, so I'll copy/paste what I said there:

Black Hole is an Italian doom metal band that put out their first album, called Land of Mystery, in 1985. This is really creepy tinged doom, with lots of touches of church organ, and vocals that sound very ghost-like. Their second album, Living Mask, was recorded between 1988 - 1989 but not released until 2000. The second album is quite good but has a HUMUNGOUS flaw--the poorly programmed drums. You have to hear it to believe it. The first time I listened to the album I couldn't stop laughing because of the drum programming. But after a few listens, and after the shock wore off, I began to get used to it, and now I think the drum programming actually fits the music quite well and is part of the album's charm. But make no mistake, I always loved everything else about the album, even on first listen. Black Hole actually finally put out another album like less than two months ago, called Evil in the Dark. I haven't heard any of it yet, but I am eagerly waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail.

Black Hole - Demoniac City. From their first album, Land of Mystery. This is a weird song for them because the intro embodies everything the band is about, but after the intro, it's by far the least doomy thing they ever put on an album.

Black Hole - Living Masks. From their second album, Living Mask. This song doesn't really have organ, but the synths it does have are equally chilling. Beware the drum programming!

-------------------------------

After Black Hole's initial spit in 1986, the guitarist and drummer formed/joined the band Sacrilege, released a demo, broke up, then formed/joined the band Epitaph, recorded some demos, then broke up. Epitaph reformed again in the 2010s and finally put out their debut album, Crawling Out of the Crypt in 2014. It's mainly old songs from the 80s and 90s, but there is at least one song new for the album on there. In 2017 they put out their second album, Claws, and I'm pretty sure this one is mainly all new songs rather than old songs. I haven't listened to either of the albums much, but I liked what I heard of both of them.

Mercy may be worth a look. Candlemass' Messiah Marcolin was their singer for their first two albums, 1984's self titled, and 1985's Witchburner. The self titled is not doom, but Witchburner is. It's pretty good, but certainly no Candlemass. There were other albums over the years, with varying degrees of doominess.

Mercy - Witchburner

You may have heard of the band Iron Man, one of the more revered bands of the 90s Maryland doom scene. Guitarist Al Morris III had a previous band called Force in the 70s and 80s. Their material was VERY hard to find, but just this year pretty much all their recordings had been released on a compilation called Discography 1981-84. This is some really good stuff. Most of the songs are sung by a woman.

Force - The Beast

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:28 am 

Lionel Fauquier wrote:
Are there any obscure and/or not so well known doom metal bands to be recommended for newcomers to the genre ?

Hell yes. For Epic Doom, I'd like to point you to Great Coven, Soul of Enoch, Oath of Woe, All Soul's Day , Cold Embrace...

For Trad, well, they are many. Saint Vitus of course. Dwoom has put out a very nice demo this year. Then Orodruin, Pale Divine, ....

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:06 pm 

Lionel Fauquier wrote:

Saint Vitus are one of the first doom metal bands. Their 80s albums are so fucking great. I highly recommend.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:47 pm 

Thanks for the recommendations guys !

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 pm 

Victor Griffin's (Pentagram) other project Place Of Skulls is stellar. (And if you like his work, check out In-Graved too.) I also recommend Under The Sun and Mourn (UK).

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:04 am 

Hey guys.. I am looking for some recommendations in the atmospheric doom / euro melodic doom / ye olden doome mold.. my favourite acts in this little niche are Clouds, Shape of Despair, Saturnus, Eye of Solitude, Lethian Dreams, Trees of Eternity, etc..

I suppose what I'm looking for is any particularly obscure or hidden gems playing this style, as the well-known similar bands I'll most likely have heard. Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:27 am 

pfk505 wrote:
I suppose what I'm looking for is any particularly obscure or hidden gems playing this style, as the well-known similar bands I'll most likely have heard. Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Some suggestions of lesser-known acts that I think fit your request:
Hanging Garden
Omit
Yearning
Black Wreath
Elegeion
Ablazed in Hatred
Ras Algethi

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:11 pm 

pfk505 wrote:
Hey guys.. I am looking for some recommendations in the atmospheric doom / euro melodic doom / ye olden doome mold.. my favourite acts in this little niche are Clouds, Shape of Despair, Saturnus, Eye of Solitude, Lethian Dreams, Trees of Eternity, etc..

Maybe try Golgotha? They're a Spanish death/doom act that are very "airy" sounding. I considered reviewing their debut during the review challenge but felt that I needed to give it a few more listens. Still some pretty good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBnsbjVKW5s

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:22 am 

Thank you both.. have heard most of those bands but will give Golgotha and Elegeion a shot. Cheers!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:28 am 

For Elegion, try first "The last Moment". Another good soft atmo doom band is Before the Rain.

You could also be interested by WOE UNTO ME's latest: Among The Lightened Skies The Voidness Flashed to which participated many different singers, among which Hamferd's and Saturnus' singer. It's some very melodic smooth, hardly dark doom.

edit: oh yes, Pendulous is also very worth a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvIstdLBoWU

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:16 pm 

The Sullen Route
Mariana's Rest

Nagash_343
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:38 pm 

Hey guys i am looking for very heavy and dark sludge/post metal similiar to Amenra.
Thanks

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:03 pm 

I hate Amenra that I see more like an a screamo band, which I hate, but that only the singer's fault, admittedly. However, I can point you to Admiral Angry. This is the same stuff, basically.

Ontsarguiz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:26 am 

I know it's more a death metal thing but do you know doom metal albums/bands that use the"chainsaw" guitar tone?

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:33 am 

Ontsarguiz wrote:
I know it's more a death metal thing but do you know doom metal albums/bands that use the"chainsaw" guitar tone?

Not exactly sure what you mean by chainsaw tone but dry Dwoom.

Ontsarguiz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:49 am 

I kind of like your suggestion but I mean the fat and massively crunchy guitar tone used by swedish bands like Entombed & Dismember.
It's probably a weird request :/

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:54 am 

"The main songwriters death metal roots can be heard in the down-tuned guitars and the unmistakable tone of the BOSS HM-2 pedal, made popular by Swedish death metal bands." Which is why I recommended Dwoom. But perhaps you're looking for something different.

Ontsarguiz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:18 am 

Oh crap I guess I searched Doom instead of Dwoom and I found another band but I really liked Dwoom so thanks alot man.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 133  Next