Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:52 am 

Is there any stuff similar to Ogre? I'm looking for obscure bands, so don't recommend Black Sabbath and Pentagram to me, please.

avrlabel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:37 am 

Belial_ wrote:
avrlabel wrote:
avrlabel wrote:
Can someone recommend to me a bands similiar to Necro Schizma?

I don't know them, are there any other similar bands? Or at least, try to give a small description about them, to see if I can help you with that.

Its primitive death/doom with riffs hard as hell.One of best real doom bands ever.Withuot keyboards,clean vocals and stuff.With death metal-like vocals and slow as hell.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:40 am 

avrlabel wrote:
Belial_ wrote:
avrlabel wrote:
avrlabel wrote:

I don't know them, are there any other similar bands? Or at least, try to give a small description about them, to see if I can help you with that.

Its primitive death/doom with riffs hard as hell.One of best real doom bands ever.Withuot keyboards,clean vocals and stuff.With death metal-like vocals and slow as hell.

After this description, I must check them out.

ROLE REVERSAL.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:29 am 

avrlabel wrote:
Belial_ wrote:
avrlabel wrote:
avrlabel wrote:

Then you should look for some of the oldest Death/Doom bands, I guess you already know of Winter and diSEMBOWELMENT.

Other bands I'd recommend: Decomposed, Sempiternal Deathreign, Ceremonium and Sorrow (US). I'd even add Dream Death to the list, though they're 'less extreme' than 'Death'/Doom.

I'll also have to check Necro Schizma, too.

levasty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:22 am 

Need some help guys.

I remember listening to some tracks from a female fronted Goth/Doom band from Russia, sadly I can't remember the name, care to help me out?

Balth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:30 am 

levasty wrote:
Need some help guys.

I remember listening to some tracks from a female fronted Goth/Doom band from Russia, sadly I can't remember the name, care to help me out?

You should probably try describing their sound in order to get more accurate responses.

HawHaw
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:10 am 

Doom metal is one of the only areas of metal I havn't really paid much attention to, so I'm wondering what is the best way to get into doom metal for a complete beginner to the genre. Thanks.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:12 am 

HawHaw wrote:
Doom metal is one of the only areas of metal I havn't really paid much attention to, so I'm wondering what is the best way to get into doom metal for a complete beginner to the genre. Thanks.

What do you usually listen to?
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

HawHaw
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:35 pm 

Kruel wrote:
HawHaw wrote:

Mostly death metal (all different kinds) and other stuff too, but I'm mostly interested in hearing something thats new to me, perhaps something on the experimental side of things.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:03 pm 

HawHaw wrote:
Kruel wrote:
HawHaw wrote:

Mostly death metal (all different kinds) and other stuff too, but I'm mostly interested in hearing something thats new to me, perhaps something on the experimental side of things.

If you're determined to jump head first into some weird/experimental shit you could look into Esoteric. Overwhelmingly long songs, crushing riffs, majestic leads, death style vocals and random meandering...stuff. Check some of the reviews to see if you think you'd be into it.

Personally I'm more into traditional doom. Figuring out if you will like Traditional Doom is a fairly simple process in my opinion. Ask yourself, "Do I like Black Sabbath?". If you answered yes, you will probably like traditional doom. Start with any of the genres staples: Trouble's "Psalm 9", Pentagram's self titled debut, Saint Vitus' self titled debut, Witchfinder General's "Death Penalty", and on and on. Read the reviews on some of these and you will probably pick up on some of the other mainstays of the trad. doom scene.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:22 pm 

HawHaw wrote:

Disembowelment? Due to their popularity, I'd assume you've heard them before but it's worth a shot. Easy switch over from death to doom with an experimental edge.

lildack2010
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:08 am 

Um would someone mind PMing me to help me understand all these Doom subgenres please.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:57 am 

alternatively: read through the thread!

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:59 am 

lildack2010 wrote:
Um would someone mind PMing me to help me understand all these Doom subgenres please.

The best thing you can do to educate yourself on different realms of metal music is to actively explore the bands which represent them. Words will only do so much, experience is the best teacher in this case.

Do as caspian suggests and check out some of the bands mentioned in the thread. It will help you out quite a bit.

lildack2010
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:08 am 

Alright I guess I'll do that. Anyway I believe Solitude Aeturnus is Doom metal. So A.) what subgenre are they? and B.) More like them please cause its totally awesome.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:09 am 

Solitude Aeternus is, and they are generally considered what is called "traditional doom" metal. That is, stuff like early Black Sabbath, Pentagram and Candlemass (all of which I think would be a good starting place for you, if you enjoy that style).

Sentienth696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:23 am 

Skepticism and Nortt.

Also for an older one theres 'Memento Mori'
I love the song 'Heathendom'

lildack2010
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:35 am 

rexxz wrote:
Solitude Aeternus is, and they are generally considered what is called "traditional doom" metal. That is, stuff like early Black Sabbath, Pentagram and Candlemass (all of which I think would be a good starting place for you, if you enjoy that style).

wow I feel like an idiot. I already knew those bands and thought they were Heavy metal not Doom.
Wow.
Well more in that style please.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:42 am 

Traditional doom metal is essentially heavy metal played at a relatively slow pace and containing dark, sombre mood. That's a simplification of course but it's a workable description. Have you searched through the thread for traditional doom? Try that first.

In fact, search through the entire forum, too.

Sindre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:57 am 

Could someone recommend me funeral doom similar to the Montreal band Longing For Dawn? In other words: a good, detailed production, heavy guitars, tasteful keyboards and of course a sombre mood. Vocals can be black metal howling or death growls, I am not picky. What I like about Longing For Dawn is how the melodies are endlessly repeated and change ever so slightly over time.

lord_kexasthur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:20 am 

HawHaw wrote:
Kruel wrote:
HawHaw wrote:

Aarni might be something you like.
Their album Bathos to be specific is really good and has a weird experimental sound.

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:10 am 

HawHaw wrote:

The way I got into it: Plenty of Black Sabbath and Cathedral (especially Forest of Equilibrium). And as another poster mentioned, Disembowelment. Another band that doesn't get much credit (at least, not that I've seen lately around here) for spurring along doom were Trouble.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:48 am 

I'm looking for doom metal with some heavy metal influences, similar to Icon by Paradise lost, the vocals must be variated between raspy harsh vocals (not growled!) and clean vocals, the songs shouldn't be too slow and long. Lyrics must be in english and i don't mind production.

Thanks in advance!

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:44 am 

HawHaw wrote:
Kruel wrote:
HawHaw wrote:

You might like Sempiternal Deathreign, then. Their album The Spooky Gloom is a very varied mix of old school death metal and crushing doom, with the songs varying between those two extremes quite wildly. If you like death metal, this might be a good band for transitioning.

rustyslacker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:41 pm 

Doom metal is mostly pretty foreign to me. Really the only doom metal bands I know are Black Sabbath, Swallow the Sun, Before the Rain, ad The Morningside. The Morningside are one of my favorite acts, so my question is this: are there other doom bands that incorporate some post-rock influences? Growls or clean vocals (or both) are all fine, and longish songs are a plus. Thanks in advance.

avrlabel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:51 am 

Belial_ wrote:
avrlabel wrote:
Belial_ wrote:
avrlabel wrote:
avrlabel wrote:

Then you should look for some of the oldest Death/Doom bands, I guess you already know of Winter and diSEMBOWELMENT.

Other bands I'd recommend: Decomposed, Sempiternal Deathreign, Ceremonium and Sorrow (US). I'd even add Dream Death to the list, though they're 'less extreme' than 'Death'/Doom.

I'll also have to check Necro Schizma, too.

Disembowelment and Winter are cult bands and I already know them.
Ill check those other.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:50 am 

Oh, checked out the Necro Schizma. avrlabel, you have great taste!

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:44 am 

rustyslacker wrote:
Doom metal is mostly pretty foreign to me. Really the only doom metal bands I know are Black Sabbath, Swallow the Sun, Before the Rain, ad The Morningside. The Morningside are one of my favorite acts, so my question is this: are there other doom bands that incorporate some post-rock influences? Growls or clean vocals (or both) are all fine, and longish songs are a plus. Thanks in advance.

You may like a lot of the post metal/atmospheric sludge/whatever that's going around now. Isis's first full length (Celestial) has some really massive riffs and a little bit of post-rock action, with Oceanic and Panopticon getting more into the post rock with less of the riffs.

Pelican's first EP and full length are also recommended listening, lots of massive riffs and clean post-rocky bits. The riffs are pretty freakin' huge. Just watch out for their later stuff; not all of it's bad but it gets increasingly bland and boring.

Both fairly obvious recs, I guess. Sorry if you've already heard them, but you haven't mentioned them.

On a slightly different note, Graveyard Dirt are something you- and everyone else- will enjoy. Really well executed doom, quite melodic and epic, lots of rather lovely flowing sort of riffs and a good grasp of dynamics.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:16 pm 

I'm looking for good funeral doom. It has interested me lately after MikeyC gave me a download of Shape of Despair's album Angels of Distress.

avrlabel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:27 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
Oh, checked out the Necro Schizma. avrlabel, you have great taste!

One of my favourite bands.;)

If you still havent check the Obskure Torture-do it now.

Ghost_of_Ktulu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:30 am 

Hey guys. I'm looking for a band that sounds like Swallow the Sun - striking melodies, slow-to-mid-pace playing, good decipherable growls, good production and really, really heavy riffs.

Thanks guys.

Kiwion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:02 am 

Ghost_of_Ktulu wrote:
Hey guys. I'm looking for a band that sounds like Swallow the Sun - striking melodies, slow-to-mid-pace playing, good decipherable growls, good production and really, really heavy riffs.

Thanks guys.

Mournful Congregation would be the obvious one, very good funeral doom (IMO) with decipherable growls. Loss (1 of the bands from USA) would also be worth checking out. Both bands play on the Four Burials split, although thats not Mournful's best song...

I'm looking for a band like Bongzilla, in terms of music, vocals can be clean to. Bands that I already know: Sleep, Electric Wizard, Weedeater and Acid King.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:07 am 

Kiwion wrote:
I'm looking for a band like Bongzilla, in terms of music, vocals can be clean to. Bands that I already know: Sleep, Electric Wizard, Weedeater and Acid King.

Acrimony and Orange Goblin (both from UK) are obvious choices. Spirit Caravan might be to your liking too.

doomlover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:47 am 

rustyslacker wrote:

you might want to check out Cult Of Luna as well

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:00 am 

Ghost_of_Ktulu wrote:

Thanks guys.

Ablaze in Hatred sounds almost identical compared to Swallow the Sun.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:21 am 

Ghost_of_Ktulu wrote:

Thanks guys.

Terhen is a good Swallow the Sun-clone band, try them.

Ghost_of_Ktulu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:02 pm 

Thanks guys, I'll check those out (:

Humanity_Lost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:05 pm 

Ghost_of_Ktulu wrote:

Thanks guys.

Mourning Beloveth
The Fall of Every Season
Forest Stream <<<
Officium Triste

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:11 am 

Recommendation: Since I seem to have a proverbial love affair with Shape Of Despair's "Angels Of Distress", I was wondering if there were other funeral doom bands that incorporate this same style. What I'm basically after is:

-growled vocals (preferably no clean, but I can tolerate a small amount)
-sparse female vocal lines
-VIOLINS! A big plus if violins are used
-a sad and depressing atmosphere
-Decent-good production

Or basically, any "Angels Of Distress" clone bands. :P

I already have Comatose Vigil, Remembrance, Ahab, Doom:Vs, and Depressed Mode.

Thank you all in advance! :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Funereal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:16 am 

For the person asking for similar bands to Necro Schizma, try GOATLORD.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 133  Next