* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:18 am 

Mr_Lender wrote:
Rippingheadache wrote:
Can anyone reccomend me some quality brutal death metal? To be honest, its not the genre I'd listen to on a daily basis but acts like Internal Suffering, Mindly Rotten and Ancient Necropsy got me interested in it all of a sudden. Columbia seems to be a hotbed for this style nowadays...

I need help finding fresh sounding, technically proficient, but always chaotic brutal dm with very little or no breakdowns. DO NOT reccomend me stuff like Origin/Brain Drill/Decrepit Birth.

I got Defeated Sanity and Internal Suffering together, and if I'm listening to one, I'm listening to the other straight afterwards

Try Bloodsoaked (US). I hate most of the results of this horrible, horrible genre, but that band made a quality album.

You might also like to try Cemetary Urn from Australia. Think Bestial Warlust mixed with Incantation. Very brutal, very chaotic.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:19 pm 

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the rec.

PlagueRages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:24 pm 

Nyaricus wrote:
Okay, here's a toughie. More of a curiosity than anything, but still a toughie.

Okay, on the speed spectrum we have Technical DM, which is in general VERY fast DM, we have a lot of other DM bands filling in the fast pace area (genre standard, pretty much), and we have mid-paced DM like Amon Amarth etc, and then Death-Doom or Funeral Doom bands filling in the slow end.

What my question is: do any bands play SLOW Death Metal that isn't Death-Doom? I'm talking about slowing down and taking their time with the music, not with those huge Doom chugs and whatnot though. I'd like more "pure" DM, so no mixing with BM or whatnot and cheating. Also, I'd saying within the realm of either straight-up DM, or slower Melodeath would be acceptable for my question.

thanks!
--Ryan

Perhaps Bolt Thrower's IVth Crusade.

Chaos_Inferno
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:51 am 

Seeing as this fits better here than anywhere else, I'm looking for some good brutal deathgrind, I've heard several bands that sound good but the
completely inaudible gurgle vocals that kinda just sit quietly below what could therwise be a really cool band turn me away.

If there's any bands similar to Benighted at all with their crazy weird shrieks and whatever other vocal styles they toss in there I'd appreciate if someone could help me out a bit there.

mikko1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:40 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Can anyone reccomend me some quality brutal death metal? To be honest, its not the genre I'd listen to on a daily basis but acts like Internal Suffering, Mindly Rotten and Ancient Necropsy got me interested in it all of a sudden. Columbia seems to be a hotbed for this style nowadays...

I need help finding fresh sounding, technically proficient, but always chaotic brutal dm with very little or no breakdowns. DO NOT reccomend me stuff like Origin/Brain Drill/Decrepit Birth.

Try Malignancy. They might have some short breakdowns but since even the breakdowns are played the incomprehensiple cryptic malignancy kinda way, it shouldn't matter too much. Very underrated band.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:07 am 

Thanks for the rec, but I already know of Malignancy. Inhuman Grotesqueries is a pretty cool album. Might even review it someday. Oh and for those who know Malignancy because of their later works, I also reccomend checking out their first album, which is sadly overlooked.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:18 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:

try the new Hour Of Penance and maybe Inveracity(a band on unique leader)

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:29 am 

What about Prostitute Disfigurement? The new album is a little less brutal than the previous ones, but it's really good, nonetheless.

Balth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:40 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:

Visceral Bleeding is excellent. Extremely fast, pounding, unrelenting brutal DM.
Skinless is also brilliant, they're easily one of my favourites.
Also give Myrkskog a try, they're very good and commonly overlooked.

Mr_Lender
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:17 am 

twophoton wrote:
What about Prostitute Disfigurement? The new album is a little less brutal than the previous ones, but it's really good, nonetheless.

Fucking AWESOME band, apart from the abhorrence that is their new album. I read some of the band's own comments on what the new music was like before they released it, and even from that I could tell that they were on the way to mediocrity. Left in Grisly Fashion is my favourite of theirs, but Deeds of Derangement follows closely behind.

I'm running dry on my 'to get' list, so I was wondering if people could just recommend some great death metal. Generally, I like all the newer technical death and brutal death around at the moment, unique leader bands, Origin etc. Also love me some good black/death (the more evil the sound the better) such as Azarath and some Belphegor etc.
But basically none of that matters, because I want new stuff! I know I'm a little closed minded at this stage (and im working on it) but the oldschool stuff doesn't sit properly with me at this stage. :)

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:06 pm 

Don't you think Mortification's second and following releases are pure death metal?

metalhead_pyro461
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:28 pm 

looks like ill be busy for a while
i have to search all these bands

Balth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:57 pm 

Mr_Lender wrote:
I'm running dry on my 'to get' list, so I was wondering if people could just recommend some great death metal. Generally, I like all the newer technical death and brutal death around at the moment, unique leader bands, Origin etc. Also love me some good black/death (the more evil the sound the better) such as Azarath and some Belphegor etc.
But basically none of that matters, because I want new stuff! I know I'm a little closed minded at this stage (and im working on it) but the oldschool stuff doesn't sit properly with me at this stage. :)

Dead Congregation: I have Graves of the Archangels and it's a bloody good slab of Death Metal.

Necrophobic: Great DM with a BM tinge, though you might have already heard of them.

Skinless: I mentioned this a few posts back, but they're worth mentioning again. Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead is simply outstanding, definitely one of the best Brutal DM albums out there.

Saprogenic: The Wet Sound of Flesh on Concrete is very good Brutal DM. Don't get Saprogenic's latest album though, it's not very good.

Misery Index: Excellent Death/Grind. Pretty catchy stuff.

Man Must Die: Top-notch modern Tech DM. One of the few Scottish bands I've heard of.

Kronos: Another good Brutal DM band.

Illogicist: Highly recommended Tech DM.

Houwitser: And some more very decent Brutal DM.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:35 pm 

Nyaricus wrote:
What my question is: do any bands play SLOW Death Metal that isn't Death-Doom? I'm talking about slowing down and taking their time with the music, not with those huge Doom chugs and whatnot though. I'd like more "pure" DM, so no mixing with BM or whatnot and cheating. Also, I'd saying within the realm of either straight-up DM, or slower Melodeath would be acceptable for my question.

thanks!
--Ryan

Check out Dark Millennium from Germany. Their album Ashore the Celestial Burden not only fits your description, but it's fucking awesome and the vocalist has a great voice not unlike that of John Tardy.

Chaos_Inferno
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:35 am 

Chaos_Inferno wrote:
Seeing as this fits better here than anywhere else, I'm looking for some good brutal deathgrind, I've heard several bands that sound good but the
completely inaudible gurgle vocals that kinda just sit quietly below what could therwise be a really cool band turn me away.

If there's any bands similar to Benighted at all with their crazy weird shrieks and whatever other vocal styles they toss in there I'd appreciate if someone could help me out a bit there.

Sorry for the repeat, but NO ONE has any suggestions or even a slight idea?

Benighted can't be THAT unique, can they?

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:43 am 

Does anyone know of a band similar to Morbid Angel specifically on "Altars of Madness" in sound but exhibiting increased technicality, speed, precision and ideally utilizing more melody?

I know already of Vital Remains and Luciferion.

Thank you.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:07 pm 

Greetings Metal Archives,

One of the things I love about Carcass is Jeff Walker's distinctive vocal style. Evidently it is also well loved by others, as it is emulated in bands such as Ghoul, Impaled, and Exhumed, to name a few. Furthermore, a search of the site yielded Jeff Walker comparisons for the singers of Neglected Fields, Atrophia Red Sun, Defleshed and Arsis.

My request here: please recommend any other death metal bands that feature a vocal style strongly reminiscent of Jeff Walker's. The band needn't be Carcass worship - just the vocals I'm interested in here.

Thanks to all who reply.
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:35 pm 

PureNegativism wrote:
Does anyone know of a band similar to Morbid Angel specifically on "Altars of Madness" in sound but exhibiting increased technicality, speed, precision and ideally utilizing more melody?

Thank you.

Nothing has ever sounded like Altars of Madness, and nothing can ever sound like it (yeah, I'm a total fanboy).

That said... check out Mortem from Peru. The guitar solos are as close as it gets to Morbid Angel, and the riffage, atmosphere, vocals, etc. are all very good. Not exactly Altars-of-Madness (obviosuly, since nothing is), but way more Altars-of-Madness than most other bands.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

bassman05
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:27 pm 

Hey guys,
I love my Black and death metal, and was just treated to my new copy of Kalessin's Kolossus - I'm going on a rampage of new music ATM, and would love suggestions. I'm into the kind of black/death that's melodic, symphonic but still kicks your ass. Examples of some of my favorites could be
Iron - Ensiferum
Kalessin - Armada, Agnen and Kolossus
Windir - Arntor, 1184
Dissection - The Somberlain, Light's Bane
Emperor - Nightside Eclipse

Basically anything like that haha, thanks guys

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:00 pm 

bassman05 wrote:
black/death that's melodic, symphonic but still kicks your ass.

Not symphonic, but you should try Martriden. Quality stuff there. Anorexia Nervosa might be what you're looking for, too.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:12 pm 

bassman05 wrote:
Iron - Ensiferum
Windir - Arntor, 1184

You might want to put these two in the Folk/Viking help thread if it's still going.

Well, Pheonix Rising by D666 is an excellent black/death album with a great sense of melody.

Early At The Gates may be to your liking as well, that includes their work as Grotesque.

bassman05
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:25 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
bassman05 wrote:
Iron - Ensiferum
Windir - Arntor, 1184

You might want to put these two in the Folk/Viking help thread if it's still going.

Well, Pheonix Rising by D666 is an excellent black/death album with a great sense of melody.

Early At The Gates may be to your liking as well, that includes their work as Grotesque.

Thanks alot, I have some of the earlier ATG stuff, and am currently checking out the D666 album :)

Marinos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:11 am 

Looking for good Doom/Death type bands similar to early 90's Autopsy and Obituary

Vocals preferably not gutteral...

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:56 am 

PureNegativism wrote:

Thank you.

Shub Niggurath, at times, sound pretty close to early Morbid Angel.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:24 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:

Chaos_Inferno wrote:

To you both I recommend Flaying, they're not quite like the majority of today's death/grind trend.

Mr_Lender wrote:

Try Virulent Blessing from Finland. Their only full-length to date is amazing; with a bit of stretch of imagination one could compare them to Lykathea Aflame meets Atheist.

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
One of the things I love about Carcass is Jeff Walker's distinctive vocal style. Evidently it is also well loved by others, as it is emulated in bands such as Ghoul, Impaled, and Exhumed, to name a few. Furthermore, a search of the site yielded Jeff Walker comparisons for the singers of Neglected Fields, Atrophia Red Sun, Defleshed and Arsis.

My request here: please recommend any other death metal bands that feature a vocal style strongly reminiscent of Jeff Walker's. The band needn't be Carcass worship - just the vocals I'm interested in here.

Thanks to all who reply.

Try Neglected Fields; the vocals are very similar to Walker's nasal rasps, especially on their earlier works. Plus, they play great progressive DM.

Mr_Lender
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:43 am 

I have been hearing about a band called Reciprocal from California. I just read that Jeff Hughell from Brain Drill joined them etc, so it's not exactly like they are particularly small or mainstream or anything.
So in that case, why aren't they in the archives? I don't know enough about them to put them in myself, but I've nevr come across a case like this where a band SHOULD be in here, but simply isn't.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:33 am 

Seems that they haven't released anything.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:45 am 

I wouldn't know the exact sound...except mabye brutal melodic death metal, but can anyone recommend something like Miseration??

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:58 pm 

Marinos wrote:
Looking for good Doom/Death type bands similar to early 90's Autopsy and Obituary

Asphyx is exactly what you want.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Mr_Lender
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:26 pm 

mirons wrote:
Seems that they haven't released anything.

Yeah I noticed that after I posted. Didn't realise that that was a requisite for being entered into the archives though. Oh well, they sound decent from what I've heard, hopefully they'll squeeze something out soon.

Marinos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:07 am 

Kruel wrote:
Marinos wrote:

Good rec, I just checked them out on youtube, great music, but the vocals are a bit hard to swallow.

Perhaps they'll grow on me with time....

Any other similar recs?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:14 am 

Marinos wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Marinos wrote:

Good rec, I just checked them out on youtube, great music, but the vocals are a bit hard to swallow.

Really? Asphyx's vocals are as close as it gets to John Tardy, imo.

Anyway, in terms of vocals, check out Pentacle, but in terms of being doom/death, Runemagick would be more fitful.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:39 am 

Crepuscular wrote:
I wouldn't know the exact sound...except mabye brutal melodic death metal, but can anyone recommend something like Miseration??

Never heard of Miseration, and I'm probably hitting the obvious here, but have you heard Aborted? Their later albums, probably from "The Archaic Abattoir" onwards, may be what you're looking for. Sorry if I was of no help.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:41 am 

Mr_Lender wrote:
I have been hearing about a band called Reciprocal from California. I just read that Jeff Hughell from Brain Drill joined them etc, so it's not exactly like they are particularly small or mainstream or anything.
So in that case, why aren't they in the archives? I don't know enough about them to put them in myself, but I've nevr come across a case like this where a band SHOULD be in here, but simply isn't.

Yeah, same here. I've seen them been mentioned a couple of times while browsing the unique leader site, which I believe, is their current label.

Velvet_Creation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:08 am 

Chaos_Inferno wrote:

I don't know if this is exactly the type you are looking for, but try ROTTEN SOUND from Finland, they are fucking good imo.

Velvet_Creation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:21 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Never heard of Miseration, and I'm probably hitting the obvious here, but have you heard Aborted? Their later albums, probably from "The Archaic Abattoir" onwards, may be what you're looking for. Sorry if I was of no help.

I never heard of Miseration either but I just checked out their Myspace and something tells me that these guys will become huge in no time! The production is excellent. I would say that these guys are the Death Metal version of Borknagar (if that's possible) maybe because of the clean vocal. Good stuff nonetheless.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:15 am 

Please, people, recommend to me more crushing, extremely heavy death metal with colossal riffs and an old-school sensibility. I want some slow tempos but nothing too doomy, so this is kind of like Nyaricus's request. Maybe he could check out the bands I"m about to list if he hasn't heard them. More stuff like Autopsy, Sorrow, Deteriorot, Incantation, Anatomia, death metal-era Darkthrone, Necros Christos, early Pungent Stench ... obviously, I don't have a problem with fast tempos eitherr but it is especially great if the bands mix them in with those extremely sick, creeping riffs that some of the bands above have.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:26 am 

Deathrune's first demo, Beneath the Cypress Groves is something I believe you'd enjoy. I started a review of it a couple months ago but never finished.

Don't bother with the other two after it, not worth the time.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:30 am 

Can anyone recommand me jazzy / progressive death metal?

I would love to hear more bands that aren't too much ''death metal ish'' , but pretty relaxing, yet heavy.

Something in the veins of: Individual thought patterns by Death,
Piece of time by Atheist,
Testimony of the ancients by Pestilence, or Focus by Cynic.

Thanks in advance!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:56 am 

rexxz wrote:
Deathrune's first demo, Beneath the Cypress Groves is something I believe you'd enjoy. I started a review of it a couple months ago but never finished.

Don't bother with the other two after it, not worth the time.

Excellent, I'll look for that. YOu definitely know some good and obscure death metal. I'm still mentally thanking you almost weekly for turning me onto that Dementia album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 289  Next