* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:59 am 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
MalignantThrone wrote:
Does anyone know any bands that mix death metal with noise in some way, shape or form? Note that I know what death/grind is and it's definitely not what I'm looking for unless you can find me a noisegrind/DM band; nor am I looking for something that sounds like Mitochondrion - ideally the band I'm looking for will integrate feedback and dissonant harshness into their sound without it dominating the riff-writing methods at work. Besides, Mitochondrion isn't really harsh enough for what I'm seeking right now, so if it does sound like them it better be pretty fucking grating music. Thanks in advance.

Why don't you listen to diSEMBOWELMENT?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr4jNutSDUE

Even if it doesn't completely match your request, you're still likely to find them awesome! :D

edit: a band like Karnarium at least on (some parts of) "Otapamo Pralaja" is maybe more dissonant and more what you're after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8h5AlfXO1k

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:54 pm 

Could anyone find me melodic death metal that sounds like this? The clean vocals are optional, I would just like to hear death metal with this kind of primitive woodsy atmosphere.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:41 am 

*sigh* I know this is partially my fault for giving a rather vague description, but... Guys, while I do like these bands you're recommending, I'm not really looking for the sort of semi-structured dissonance that these bands are using. I want death metal mixed with elements of harsh noise. You know, not the Portal type of dissonance "noise", but death metal riffs blended with literal harsh noise: intense, Merzbow-esque sonic feedback. I don't want the riffs to be dissonant in the melodic sense, I want them to be accompanied by or interspersed between raw, undilted noise.

If you're not already aware of what they sound like, go listen to a few songs by Enbilulugugal and then imagine them playing DM instead of BM. That's essentially what I'm trying to find.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:44 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
*sigh* I know this is partially my fault for giving a rather vague description, but... Guys, while I do like these bands you're recommending, I'm not really looking for the sort of semi-structured dissonance that these bands are using. I want death metal mixed with elements of harsh noise. You know, not the Portal type of dissonance "noise", but death metal riffs blended with literal harsh noise: intense, Merzbow-esque sonic feedback. I don't want the riffs to be dissonant in the melodic sense, I want them to be accompanied by or interspersed between raw, undilted noise.

If you're not already aware of what they sound like, go listen to a few songs by Enbilulugugal and then imagine them playing DM instead of BM. That's essentially what I'm trying to find.

Thank you for exposing me to Enbilulugugal. Weirdly simple and super catchy black metal with deranged shrieking on top of it complemented by trippy raw noise. I wish I could help you uncover more of this kind of stuff especially in Death metal form.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:22 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:
Could anyone find me melodic death metal that sounds like this? The clean vocals are optional, I would just like to hear death metal with this kind of primitive woodsy atmosphere.

Hopelessness - Broken Tears in Solitude is probably what you want. They used to have their album available for free download, search through the stickied download thread in the metal sub forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0UGIr9cYIE

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:04 am 

Sorry I'm late getting back to this, but:

andersbang wrote:
Catacomb - In the Maze of Kadath?

Great call. I was just about to revisit this when you rec'd it, so you have perfect timing ;). Definitely pretty awesome stuff. The only real weak point is in some of the guitar leads, where enthusiasm tends to outstrip technique, but it's a minor point... all in all some really well-presented, well-conceived death metal, very much along the lines of what I'd hope to hear. If you can think of any other examples of arcane, cryptic, ornate-yet-cohesive DM along these lines I'd love to hear about them.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:08 pm 

Hmm, the problem - for me - is probably finding this type of DM where they also utilize keys, because it's not something I listen to THAT much. But check out some of the old Mexican releases like

Cenotaph - The Gloomy Reflection of Our Hidden Sorrows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-voduQ384_Q

Shub Niggurath - The Kinglike Celebration (Final Aeon on Earth). Take a look at their cool EP, Evilness and Darkness Prevail, too, though I don't remember if they use keys here on that one. Their full length is more black/death. Neat, I just realised these guys released an album last year, gotta check it out now I guess...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwmE6BLfDTs

And then take a look at

Necrophiliac - Chaopula - Citadel of Mirrors. These Spanish guys don't use keyboard if I remember correctly, but should still be up your alley for this request, and it's an awesome album anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6VJNtU6yEk

EDIT: Imprecation - Theurgia Goetia Summa - cool US black/death band that sometimes get mentioned together with Immolation/Incantation, though with a stronger black metal influence and focus on atmosphere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr6j3YX9rwQ

Hope it helps!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:15 pm 

Thanks! :beer: Will check into these and update later with some impressions. The Cenotaph album I have skimmed in the past, but that's actually another one I've been meaning to revisit. The others will be totally new. Hooray! In the Maze of Kadath is definitely great stuff, "Nemesis" is a particularly outstanding track. I like how the whole EP has that strident, brighter sound, almost like some type of melodic death metal, but with a darker and more cryptic vibe than you'd normally find in 'melodic' material.

EDIT: Shub-Niggurath definitely seemed to be the standout of those four... nice chaotic riffs laced in with well-tempered structures, altogether a good textural blend. Will definitely look further into their stuff. Cenotaph still sits oddly with me because I feel like I can't hear the goddamn riffs... the melodicism, or whatever there is of it to be found, gets sort of blurred over and lost in the chum of low-tuned distortion. Kind of frustrating.

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:16 am 

Who are the important NYDM bands besides the most well known ones? (Suffocation, Immolation, Incantation, and Cannibal Corpse to a lesser extent) Here's a list of the bands I know:

Suffocation
Immolation
Incantation
Cannibal Corpse
Baphomet
Pyrexia
Internal Bleeding
Morpheus Descends

Any good names I'm missing out on?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:38 am 

IdiotFlesh wrote:
Who are the important NYDM bands besides the most well known ones? (Suffocation, Immolation, Incantation, and Cannibal Corpse to a lesser extent) Here's a list of the bands I know:

Suffocation
Immolation
Incantation
Cannibal Corpse
Baphomet
Pyrexia
Internal Bleeding
Morpheus Descends

Any good names I'm missing out on?

Mortician, but a lot of people hate them. My favorite is Hacked up for Barbeque.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:47 pm 

Morpheus Descends is a big one you should hear if you haven't.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:48 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Morpheus Descends is a big one you should hear if you haven't.

Look at the bottom band in his list, dumbo.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:49 am 

Malignancy.

slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:45 pm 

Hails! Im looking for dark occult death metal in the vein of Incantation and Masoleoum. Any good reccomendations?

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:54 pm 

Can someone recommend futuristic death metal like Scarve? Modern production, some groove metal riffs which always seem to be present, atmospheric keyboards and synths. Maybe something like Chainheart Machine with MORE death metal in it. No folk involved, please.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:42 am 

slayer85 wrote:
Hails! Im looking for dark occult death metal in the vein of Incantation and Masoleoum. Any good reccomendations?

Disma
Antediluvian
Sonne Adam

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:54 am 

Milo wrote:
Can someone recommend futuristic death metal like Scarve? Modern production, some groove metal riffs which always seem to be present, atmospheric keyboards and synths. Maybe something like Chainheart Machine with MORE death metal in it. No folk involved, please.

Alchemist and Kalisia are obvious recommendations, maybe Augury and Beyond Creation too. Same for Anata and The Project Hate (actually they're probably my better rec, finding real death metal with lots of groove AND keys is a hard task)

You heard of Carcariass? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHaC2ZE25Wg Excellent prog death.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:34 pm 

slayer85 wrote:

Ignivomous
Dead Congregation
Father Befouled
Crucimentum
Grave Miasma

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:19 am 

slayer85 wrote:

Necros Christos
Drowned (GER)
Necroccultus
Nocturnal Vomit
Decrepitaph

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:39 am 

Disciples of Mockery - Prelude to Apocalypse
Imprecation - Theurgia Goetia Summa (compilation of demos)
Impetuous Ritual - Relentless Execution of Ceremonial Excrescence (this one is quite chaotic and vile compared to the others)
Drawn And Quartered - Merciless Hammer of Lucifer or Hail Infernal Darkness (the other albums are less Incantation-styled while those two are the most occultistic, dark and mysterious)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:22 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Su ... ide/356150

I'm listening to this right now (got an online promo), it's pretty cool occult clean death metal. Solid stuff and very solid artwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mECqUD221NI

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:32 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sulphur_Aeon/Swallowed_by_the_Ocean%27s_Tide/356150

I'm listening to this right now (got an online promo), it's pretty cool occult clean death metal. Solid stuff and very solid artwork.

Awesome music and artwork. :thumbsup: Who designed the cover?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:47 pm 

It's in the lineup for the album. He did that awesome cover for Disma as well.

http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/O ... son/109375

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:05 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
It's in the lineup for the album. He did that awesome cover for Disma as well.

http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/O ... son/109375

Love the artwork!

Astral Blood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:41 am 

I'm looking for recommendations on death metal with brilliant riffs. Hints of black metal are welcome and I'm definitely looking for bands with a good amount of atmosphere. They're not strictly death but I'm really digging Dephosphorus at the minute who have a great combination of atmosphere and mental riffs. Another album I'm digging is Dead Congregation's 'Graves of the Archangels', which is definitely a bit more orthodox. Especially the last track with that amazing tremolo riff.

Big fan of occult-themed bands too and I'm especially liking Adversarial's debut along with their split with Antediluvian.

Cheers for any help!

PromeIncarn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:03 pm 

Astral Blood wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations on death metal with brilliant riffs. Hints of black metal are welcome and I'm definitely looking for bands with a good amount of atmosphere. They're not strictly death but I'm really digging Dephosphorus at the minute who have a great combination of atmosphere and mental riffs. Another album I'm digging is Dead Congregation's 'Graves of the Archangels', which is definitely a bit more orthodox. Especially the last track with that amazing tremolo riff.

Big fan of occult-themed bands too and I'm especially liking Adversarial's debut along with their split with Antediluvian.

Cheers for any help!

When someone says brilliant riffs, the first thing I think of is Demilich's Nespithe.

Give these a shot:
Necrophobic- The Nocturnal Silence
Sentenced- North From Here and Shadows of the Past
Atrocity- Todessehnsucht
Timeghoul- 1992-1994 Discography
Infester- To the Depths of Degradation
Imprecation- Theurgia Goetia Summa

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:23 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sulphur_Aeon/Swallowed_by_the_Ocean%27s_Tide/356150

:eek: "Solid"? Damn, this is downright awesome! Incredible cover art, and on the previous EP as well. Thanks for the link, Tony, I've never even heard of these guys before.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:18 pm 

Astral Blood wrote:

Cheers for any help!

Mitochondrion
Disma
(Incantation (obvious))
Sonne Adam

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:34 pm 

Albums similar to deteriorate's rotting in hell and disastrous murmur's rhapsodies in red? I love the raw feel of disastrous murmur and deteriorate. Stuff that immediately comes to mind to compare the two to are rottrevore's iniquisitious and infester's to the depths in degradation. Looking forward to some suggestions. I'm in a death metal mood.

Also, just out of curiosity, what albums are similar to timeghoul? I like the far out kind of atmosphere in that band. The only band I can compare them to is phantasm USA, because their sound is so unique, in and of itself.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:31 pm 

Astral Blood wrote:

Cheers for any help!

Ritual Necromancy

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:27 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Albums similar to deteriorate's rotting in hell and disastrous murmur's rhapsodies in red? I love the raw feel of disastrous murmur and deteriorate. Stuff that immediately comes to mind to compare the two to are rottrevore's iniquisitious and infester's to the depths in degradation. Looking forward to some suggestions. I'm in a death metal mood.

Try Miasma from Austria and their album Changes. I find it more or less similar to Iniquitous.

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Also, just out of curiosity, what albums are similar to timeghoul? I like the far out kind of atmosphere in that band. The only band I can compare them to is phantasm USA, because their sound is so unique, in and of itself.

I don't think that anything actually sounds like Timeghoul, but for that kind of spacey and dark atmosphere you could try Nocturnus and Crystal Age.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:14 pm 

androdion wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:

Try Miasma from Austria and their album Changes. I find it more or less similar to Iniquitous.

metaldiscussor666 wrote:

I don't think that anything actually sounds like Timeghoul, but for that kind of spacey and dark atmosphere you could try Nocturnus and Crystal Age.

I'll have to check out Miasma. I already know Nocturnus and Crystal age, but I agree with you. I love the sci fi atmosphere in both of them.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:49 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

:eek: "Solid"? Damn, this is downright awesome! Incredible cover art, and on the previous EP as well. Thanks for the link, Tony, I've never even heard of these guys before.

No problem, mate. It will probably leak soon, I don't want to have any problems or I would share it!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:53 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Oh snap! The artwork is sheer madness. I'm listening to the youtube sample and it's so bloody good.
*scours the internet for more stuff*

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:37 am 

Astral Blood wrote:

Cheers for any help!

Check out Fabricant.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:50 am 

Astral Blood wrote:

Cheers for any help!

Definitely check out Necrovation's latest album, chock full of riffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vCP1yABsTk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHIVBiLd40k

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:53 pm 

Astral Blood wrote:

Cheers for any help!

Death metal with brilliant riffs and hints of black metal? You need Battlemaster!

I'd recommend the "Warthirsting and Winterbound" full length or their split ep with Inter Arma.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:19 pm 

Brutal technical death metal in the vein of Deadly Remains and 7 H. Target?

Woops, sorry about that post in the wrong thread last time.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:14 pm 

I don't listen to death metal much anymore, but here are some of my favorite, lesser known bands:

Centinex: they basically changed their name to Demonical, but all their albums under both names are great... I like the earlier Centinex albums the most though. Great mix of brutality and melody. Their album "Reborn Through Flames" has some of my favorite DM riffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwqRgPZHsUM

Fleshcrawl: Their last 2 albums were pretty badass, though they haven't done anything in awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibyXZjlLlQs

Beneath The Massacre: My best friend listens to these guys a lot, so I've heard some of their stuff here and there. Pretty awesome Tech DM band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdwxk7LAKzc

slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:11 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
slayer85 wrote:

Disma
Antediluvian
Sonne Adam

I'm listening to Disma now, and totally digging the full length album! The latter two will be next in previewing! I plan on buying album from all the bands recommended in due time as I like this style of death metal so much! Thanks a lot! :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 289  Next