Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:08 pm 

My last post didn't get any attention so I will try again, I'm looking for bands that sound like old amoral, especially their albums Decrowning and Reptile ride.

Bleak731
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:25 am 

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some bands that sound like Hetsheads. Really any old school death metal band that has that dark melodic feel to it like necrophobichttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJFlCRJcC7M
or this song by convulse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0gF0b6pRvg
and here's a song by hetsheads to give you an idea what I'm looking for
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNfrIF4HGZ8&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL19664838C2770E23

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:43 pm 

Looking for bands like early The Crown (when they were Crown of Thorns) and earlier God Dethroned, furious and well-written black/death with some melody.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:49 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Looking for bands like early The Crown (when they were Crown of Thorns) and earlier God Dethroned, furious and well-written black/death with some melody.

Maybe Weeping Birth's Anosognosic Industry Of The I?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:56 pm 

It's been a long time since I've heard Weeping Birth, but I wouldn't think the Mirrorthrone guy would be making the kind of stuff I'm talking about. I need to relisten to this album though.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

fux0r666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:05 pm 

Phantasm (a.k.a. Human evil)

Seriously the best most unique sounding death metal i'v ever heard

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:27 am 

Are there brutal death metal bands that vocally are quite accessible? I've listened to some Suffocation but can't get into the vocals at all and would probably like them if the vocals were more of your accessible old school death metal vocals.

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:43 am 

colin040 wrote:
Are there brutal death metal bands that vocally are quite accessible? I've listened to some Suffocation but can't get into the vocals at all and would probably like them if the vocals were more of your accessible old school death metal vocals.

Not really. The vocal difference is a pretty big part of the divergence between the two and Suffocation are already on the accessible side of things.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:45 am 

colin040 wrote:

You'll get used to it. Just listen to it every once in a while, and listen to more bands like Suffocation, especially Cryptopsy since it has had two very different vocalists (DiSalvo and Worm).

Brutal death metal with accessible vocals is mostly paradox outside the stuff with very diverse influences. When it comes to old-school DM, that would kind of be an anachronism.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 am 

colin040 wrote:

Maybe Bloodsoaked, bone gnawer(and kam Lee's other bands).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:06 pm 

Any recommendations for bands similar to Owl (Germany)? I love the atmospheric/ambiant influences and the long songs.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

EnemyofLight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:51 am 

I need some bands similar to Nunslaughter and Spawn of Satan. Simple, thrash influenced death metal. I know there are tons of them out there...

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:18 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Any recommendations for bands similar to Owl (Germany)? I love the atmospheric/ambiant influences and the long songs.

Without either of the bands sounding 'like' Owl, I'd suggest Funebrarum and Drowned; both have the same underworldly atmosphere. But I'm hard pressed to think of anything quite like Owl..

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:39 pm 

Can someone rec me some really brutal shit which an epic/fucked up weird tinge to it? Preferably long songs mostly consisting of ultra heavy sections, but also some - I hesitate to use the word - 'progressive' tendencies. Use stuff like Lykathea Aflame or Akercocke as references and see what you can come up with. I really like having my mind blown with shit like this that I've never heard before. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I decided to put this in the death metal help thread just because I didn't know exactly where it would fit, but please note that it doesn't need to be death metal, exactly.

LiveForDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:52 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Can someone rec me some really brutal shit which an epic/fucked up weird tinge to it? Preferably long songs mostly consisting of ultra heavy sections, but also some - I hesitate to use the word - 'progressive' tendencies. Use stuff like Lykathea Aflame or Akercocke as references and see what you can come up with. I really like having my mind blown with shit like this that I've never heard before. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I decided to put this in the death metal help thread just because I didn't know exactly where it would fit, but please note that it doesn't need to be death metal, exactly.

Sadis Euphoria

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:18 pm 

Hmm, no, not what I had in mind. Just sort of sounds like weird, yet typical brutal death metal to me. Not bad, but not what I'm looking for.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:44 pm 

I'm looking for some death metal along the lines of this song by Drawn And Quartered,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIwPbRykU0w

and also some less serious "zombie thrashing party" stuff like Zombie Ritual

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoxQly7u254
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:48 am 

Razakel wrote:

The Monolith Deathcult - Trivmvirate
- Pretty brutal and very weird stuff - lots of electronic elements in it. It's a great record if you can stand the weirdness.

Execration - Odes of the Occult
- It's probably my favorite record of the year so far. To me it sounds like Autopsy mixed with Deathspell Omega, though I've heard it compared to a Voivoid/Auopsy mix. Very atmospheric, almost psychelic in places. Not 'brutal death' brutal, but very heavy.

I trust you know/know of bands like Mithras and Ulcerate which has taken different branches of DM to the next extremes - I haven't heard anything like Ulcerate for example, but the progression in the sound is quite logical, if you know what I mean, and not as weird as what I think you're after.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:54 pm 

Can you guys recommend me some good recent Swedish Death metal bands? I only seem to find old split-up bands when I go on a searching spree. ( I know I can use the advanced search, but I'm sure there are lots of crappy bands to) I'm looking for something with decent production, and originality. If you cant think of a recent band, a good recent Swedish Death metal album is alright to.

Thanks!

MushroomStamp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:17 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Can you guys recommend me some good recent Swedish Death metal bands? I only seem to find old split-up bands when I go on a searching spree. ( I know I can use the advanced search, but I'm sure there are lots of crappy bands to) I'm looking for something with decent production, and originality. If you cant think of a recent band, a good recent Swedish Death metal album is alright to.

Thanks!

Try the Blood Harvest label. I have the Bastard Priest demo, and it's rather energetic. A quick glance at their other bands (Karnarium, Necrovation...) showed that they don't release garbage. http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Blood_Harvest/353

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:20 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

Thanks!

Check out Miasmal. Should be just what you're looking for.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:43 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

Thanks!

Check out Miasmal. Should be just what you're looking for.

That sound great! Thanks for the rec.

Nostoc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:05 am 

I'm looking for down-tempo death metal in the vein of Incantation

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:28 pm 

Check out Autopsy if you haven't yet.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:54 pm 

Also, check out Disma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCYmAwgsFsU

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:25 pm 

Yogth Sothoth as well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:34 am 

also give Yskelgroth a shot. No one really knows who they are or at least I never see anyone talking about them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzG0USfxYhs

LiveForDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:22 pm 

I'm looking for death metal bands that have razor sharp, haunting leads like old Amorphis and the first Bloodbath album. Avulsed use it some in their Stabwound Orgasm album also. Thanks in advance!

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:18 pm 

Cannibal Corpse, Dismember (check out the song 'Time Heals Nothing'), Fleshgod Apocalypse. .

this is sort of specific but also sort of vague. Anyone know of any death metal bands with vocalists that sound like or similar to later-era Deicide Glen Benton (y'know when Jack & Ralph showed up)

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:23 pm 

Well, if you don't know Vital Remains, now is the perfect time to discover them.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:16 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Well, if you don't know Vital Remains, now is the perfect time to discover them.

I do, actually, I made a whole 'nother thread about them loolz. . . they had Benton at one point as their vocalist

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:59 pm 

Any recommendations for a band similar to Dismember's latest album? It has some very nice melodic guitar bits in it. Especially in the song "Under a Blood Red Sky". It also has a couple of very melodic intro's/outro's. Its not as melodic as lets say, Hypocrisy, but it still has its fair bit of melodic goodness, while maintaining its pure death metal sound. So, what I'm looking for is: death metal with some very melodic hooks. I don't mind a couple of blastbeats, but not to many. Thanks.

I could just listen to the latest Hypocrisy, but the production of that album gives me a headache. :annoyed:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:56 pm 

Monstrosity's Millennium has all the right ingredients, and try also Brutality's Scream Of Anguish as it has some great melodies.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:20 pm 

In the meantime, can anyone recommend me bands/albums as similar as possible to Quo Vadis? I'm looking for melodic death that is technical, instead of just having some technical flourishes, and I'm not looking for tech death which is melodic. Stuff like Neuraxis or Anata isn't what I want, I want stuff that is primarily melodeath but with a technical approach.

And yes I've checked the "similar artists" tab! :p

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:33 pm 

You could try some Amoral, but only their first 3 albums, after that they became power metal. Maybe I couldn't be more wrong though..

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:39 pm 

Do you know Beyond Creation, A band from Québec as well, prog/tech death. Really great first album: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bey ... 3540316039

They're more melodic than bands like Martyr and Neuraxis.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:08 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
You could try some Amoral, but only their first 3 albums, after that they became power metal. Maybe I couldn't be more wrong though..

I've heard of them, but not good things if you know what I mean. ;) I'll browse their early stuff.

Metantoine wrote:
Do you know Beyond Creation, A band from Québec as well, prog/tech death. Really great first album: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bey ... 3540316039

They're more melodic than bands like Martyr and Neuraxis.

Yes I know them, I'm crazy about Dominic Lapointe, and the band is cool but is more in line with Augury or Obscura if you ask me. I wanted assumed melodeath bands with a tech approach.

Maybe there isn't any other band playing in the same style as Quo Vadis?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:29 pm 

I've checked out the first three albums by Amoral and it's not my cup of tea. First one reminds me of Eternal Gray with all its polyrhythms, while the next two have some bad vocals. There are a few decent ideas mixed in there but the vocals kill it for me.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:36 pm 

Maybe you'll like Archons, some melodic death metal with just a bit of technical passages, and really good song structures.

Another good choice might be Aeon of Horus! Melodic Death Metal with an epic vibe and loads of interesting/technical riffs.!

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:19 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Maybe you'll like Archons, some melodic death metal with just a bit of technical passages, and really good song structures.

Another good choice might be Aeon of Horus! Melodic Death Metal with an epic vibe and loads of interesting/technical riffs.!

Already know Aeon Of Horus, the sterile production and extreme noodling isn't really my thing. Now Archons was a pleasant surprise, reminds me a bit of Arsis on the drums with a singer similar to Mikael Stanne and great melodic leads in the vein of Quo Vadis. It has some quirks which aren't great and sounds a bit "Americanized" here and there but it's a pretty consistent and interesting album.

Thanks for the recs, and if anyone else has a word to say please do. ;)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159 ... 290  Next