Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:53 am 

Sharkuu wrote:
Is there any DM with post-rock or shoegaze influence?

The closest I've ever found is Iron Thrones. It isn't terribly heavy on the death metal, though.

Can anyone recommend me ultra technical death metal or deathcore that is pretty much nothing but ridiculous wank like Brain Drill or Viremia?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:54 am 

Rings Of Saturn?

WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:13 am 

Got Rings of Saturn covered. Thanks though!

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:09 pm 

WingedOctopus wrote:
Can anyone recommend me ultra technical death metal or deathcore that is pretty much nothing but ridiculous wank like Brain Drill or Viremia?

Allegaeon, Anata, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Neuraxis, Vale of Pnath, Vengeful, Fallujah, and The Contortionist are worth looking into.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:32 pm 

Dave_o_rama wrote:
WingedOctopus wrote:

Allegaeon, Anata, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Neuraxis, Vale of Pnath, Vengeful, Fallujah, and The Contortionist are worth looking into.

The first four sound nothing like Brain Drill!

Anyway, you could get some kicks from Defeated Sanity or Deeds Of Flesh, considering you don't know of them already.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:37 pm 

Okay, do you people know any regular death metal that incorporates an important amount of clean vocals? You know, just common DM (if old school, then all the better) that happens to employ tons of actual singing. I would also appreciate it if the tags "technical" or "progressive" weren't present either. Thank you in advance!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:53 pm 

Dave_o_rama wrote:
WingedOctopus wrote:

How about Sleep Terror? I would second Fallujah and Rings of Saturd.

Vengeful in no way qualifies for that. Neither does Neuraxis. Both those bands are good. :P

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:37 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Okay, do you people know any regular death metal that incorporates an important amount of clean vocals? You know, just common DM (if old school, then all the better) that happens to employ tons of actual singing. I would also appreciate it if the tags "technical" or "progressive" weren't present either. Thank you in advance!

Timeghoul are slightly progressive, but not annoyingly so, if you don't know them already.

Dopedrone
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:55 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

Desultor might fit the bill. Technical death metal with clean vocals and lots of singing. Not my cup of tea, but you might dig them.

WingedOctopus wrote:

Beneath the Massacre.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:19 pm 

Dave_o_rama wrote:
WingedOctopus wrote:

This thread has a bunch of others worth checking into. Many of which fits what the OP is looking for.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78561&hilit=aeon

WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:46 pm 

I'm honestly surprised at some of the suggestions. Vale of Pnath is wanky like Brain Drill? Or Defeated Sanity? I must have a very high tolerance for tech wank! Already knew of Sleep Terror and Beneath the Massacre, but had completely forgotten about them. Thanks! (Also, I mean no offense by this at all).
AcidWorm wrote:
This thread has a bunch of others worth checking into. Many of which fits what the OP is looking for.

Looks promising, thanks!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:50 pm 

WingedOctopus wrote:
I'm honestly surprised at some of the suggestions. Vale of Pnath is wanky like Brain Drill? Or Defeated Sanity? I must have a very high tolerance for tech wank! Already knew of Sleep Terror and Beneath the Massacre, but had completely forgotten about them. Thanks! (Also, I mean no offense by this at all).
AcidWorm wrote:

Looks promising, thanks!

Sure thing. I agree with you here, too. That Defeated Sanity suggestion makes me think that person had never heard them in their life. Sure, there is technicality to it, but just about ZERO of the noodling, high-note guitar stuff you were speaking of.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:08 am 

Can't I give one bad rec in the death metal thread once in a lifetime?! :P

I'm not their biggest fan no, but I have heard them in the past. And it's actually funny that people point out their fingers at me for recommending Defeated Sanity when someone else has recommended things like Anata or Neuraxis to name a few. Is that mindless wank? No attack intended to the guy who made those recs though, I'm just trying to prove a point here.

WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:26 am 

No, your absolutely right. I've listened to Anata before and it is too melodic for my taste (for instance). Again, it speaks more of me than those giving recommendations. I have a high tolerance for ridiculousness in a lot of my music. I mentioned in another thread that I like the new whitechapel album even though it's essentially linkin park numetal riffs and meshuggah riffs in 4/4.
Anyway, I love Defeated Slamity.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:05 am 

Xlxlx wrote:

Since Timeghoul's been mentioned, the only other one i can think of is Scarve from France.

tyri
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:19 am 

I'm looking for death metal (can be other extreme metal) with lots of heavy types of riffing like in the song "Asphyx - Deathhammer"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZTH05z3BLo#t=14s
From 14 seconds to 22 seconds.

My problem with Asphyx is the vocals, I prefer deeper growls with death metal. And they are rather thrashy which I don't like either. So I would prefer no death/thrash band recommendation please. Bands with newer material would be preferred too. No obvious recommendations like Behemoth.

I know this is probably isn't the most specific recommendation but it's worth a shot lol.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:16 pm 

WingedOctopus wrote:

Sentenced to Dissection, Upheaval and Monumental Torment all come to mind when think of Technical deathcore. Not *too* much weedily guitar stuff, but it's still in there.
Sentenced to Dissection- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubu3HpPNCuY
Monumental Torment- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGiQDNq8hTM
Upheaval- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEtZecmpT-A

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:36 pm 

tyri wrote:
I'm looking for death metal (can be other extreme metal) with lots of heavy types of riffing like in the song "Asphyx - Deathhammer"

My problem with Asphyx is the vocals, I prefer deeper growls with death metal. And they are rather thrashy which I don't like either. So I would prefer no death/thrash band recommendation please. Bands with newer material would be preferred too. No obvious recommendations like Behemoth.

I know this is probably isn't the most specific recommendation but it's worth a shot lol.

Obviously Cannibal Corpse. Then Impaled, Coldworker, Mutilated, Inveracity, Contrastic if you don't mind some total weirdness, and fuckloads of brutal death metal bands that litter their chugga-riffed songs with rape samples and slams.

If what you actually wanted is simply downtuned chugs, listen to Bolt Thrower - World Eater over and over.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:41 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
tyri wrote:

Obviously Cannibal Corpse. Then Impaled, Coldworker, Mutilated, Inveracity, Contrastic if you don't mind some total weirdness, and fuckloads of brutal death metal bands that litter their chugga-riffed songs with rape samples and slams.

If what you actually wanted is simply downtuned chugs, listen to Bolt Thrower - World Eater over and over.

Skinless and Pyrexia come immediately to mind. You might check out the Brutal Death Metal Favorites thread for more obscure ideas, as well, here: http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85549

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:48 pm 

WingedOctopus wrote:

Ahmm...

Diskreet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhpwqjgir2E

Abiotic?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mG_lCVHvEQ

Hedonistic Exility?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M07mczWGzaw

Internal Suffering?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LlnSWvpNzk

Burning the Masses?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luoqNDY7HeQ

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

PhilTasmal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:49 pm 

Dave_o_rama wrote:

??

We do not play technical death metal and we certainly do not sound like Brain drill.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:50 am 

PhilTasmal wrote:
Dave_o_rama wrote:

??

We do not play technical death metal and we certainly do not sound like Brain drill.

I think it's rather obvious Dave_o_rama doesn't know what any of those bands sound like. Fucking Anata similar to Brain Drill?

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:41 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I think it's rather obvious Dave_o_rama doesn't know what any of those bands sound like. Fucking Anata similar to Brain Drill?

Ye same goes for Fleshgod Apocalypse, semi-technical no-where-near-wank and certainly doesn't sound like Brain Drill.

PhilTasmal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:24 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Anata is a good example of how technical death metal should be played. Brain Drill is not.

Forget about bands in the likes of Rings Of Saturn, Viraemia, Brain Drill and etc. Check out these bands instead :

Stargazer
!T.O.O.H!
Scenery
Algophobia
Rune
Demilich
Mephistopheles (AUS)
Pavor
Unhuman
Element
Jumping Jesus
Duobetic Homunkulus
Nomicon (Check out "The Me")
Alarum
Chemical Breath
Sadist
Hieronymous bosch
Martyr
Capharnaum
Disembarkation
Scrambled Defuncts
Dim Mak
Natron
Nocturnus
Cephalectomy
Domination Through Impurity
Vuvr
Daggerspawn
Wayd
Posthumous Blasphemer
Cerebrum
Early Monstrosity
Tholus
Sarsekim
The Shattering
Obliveon
First 2 Atrocity albums
Xenomorph
Crypt Of Kerberos
Excruciating Thoughts
Teramobil

WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:55 pm 

PhilTasmal wrote:
Anata is a good example of how technical death metal should be played. Brain Drill is not.

Forget about bands in the likes of Rings Of Saturn, Viraemia, Brain Drill and etc. Check out these bands instead :

Frankly, I'm not interested in how you think technical death metal should be played. I had a specific request and you provided a list of bands that are expressly different based on your preference. Can you imagine if every recommendation thread devolved to this?

OP: I'm looking for christian deathcore that sounds like Impending Doom
Phil: Fuck that listed to Portal

But thanks anyway, I guess.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:01 pm 

WingedOctopus wrote:
Phil: Fuck that listed to Portal

:D

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:27 am 

WingedOctopus wrote:
Can you imagine if every recommendation thread devolved to this?

Phil: Fuck that listen to Portal

Fucking classic. :lol:

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:46 am 

Anyone got some decent brutal/slam death recommendations? Preferably old school stuff (pre-2000's), but any time period is cool if it doesn't suck. Not a big fan of tech stuff, so straightforward, brain-deadness is perfectly fine. Been listening to a lot of Sintury, Prophecy, Devourment, etc. lately if that's any help.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:47 am 

Numerator_41 wrote:
Anyone got some decent brutal/slam death recommendations? Preferably old school stuff (pre-2000's), but any time period is cool if it doesn't suck. Not a big fan of tech stuff, so straightforward, brain-deadness is perfectly fine. Been listening to a lot of Sintury, Prophecy, Devourment, etc. lately if that's any help.

I have a friend who loves this, you could probably like it as well.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:30 pm 

Checked out a few samples and they sound pretty good. Thanks.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:10 am 

@Winged Octopus: The first Anomalous album "Cognitive Dissonance" is pretty much that if you haven't already heard it. Can't vouch for their newest, haven't heard it. You might dig Slaughterbox also

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:52 am 

Numerator_41 wrote:

Not pre-2000 but you could give Infected Malignity a try, specifically their 2005 demo cdr i picked it up on a whim (it was very cheap) and actually really enjoyed it considering i am not usually a fan of slam death.

Im guessing you know Pyrexia but if not Sermon of Mockery and the Hatred Anger And Disgust ep both kick ass.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:09 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:

This album gets a lot of love for an older BDM release: Pyaemia - Cerebral Cereal (2001). Also, there are a ton of good rec's in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85549

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:57 pm 

WingedOctopus wrote:

Probably the wankiest deathcore/death metal band in the world:
http://www.myspace.com/smashfaceband

WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:16 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
@Winged Octopus: The first Anomalous album "Cognitive Dissonance" is pretty much that if you haven't already heard it. Can't vouch for their newest, haven't heard it. You might dig Slaughterbox also

I've avoided listening to Cognitive Dissonance since, if I remember correctly, uses a drum machine. No big deal though, I'll get right on it, thanks!

Zodijackyl wrote:
WingedOctopus wrote:

Probably the wankiest deathcore/death metal band in the world:
http://www.myspace.com/smashfaceband

This is unbelievably ignorant and hilarious. Thanks!

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:20 am 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
Numerator_41 wrote:

Not pre-2000 but you could give Infected Malignity a try, specifically their 2005 demo cdr i picked it up on a whim (it was very cheap) and actually really enjoyed it considering i am not usually a fan of slam death.

Their album is even better. Shame about the followup EP.

Eternal Suffering, as have already been mentioned, are fucking killer. They got a compilation released not that long ago (album + demos) so its not hard to pick up.

Bloodgasm are pretty much the ultimate in stripped-down mindless brutality. Almost the brutal death equivalent of Jungle Rot.

You might get somewhere with Katalepsy. Even if you don't like them, their cover of Symphony of Destruction has to be heard to be believed.

Pyrexia's been mentioned, though they're more on the hardcore side than anything. If they fit, then later Internal Bleeding should be right up your alley (early IB is a generic suffoclone. Latter IB is this weird mashup of beatdown hardcore and simplified death metal).

Revenance are awesome as well. More beatdown-influenced slam.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:09 pm 

WingedOctopus wrote:
This is unbelievably ignorant and hilarious. Thanks!

Out of curiosity. What kind of pleasure do you derive from listening to that nonsense?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:54 pm 

Perhaps some sort of ironic pleasure? I mean, I find that stuff hilarious in it's sheer, blatant stupidity, but I'd never really listen to it for it's (mostly nonexistent) entertainment value.

WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:16 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Out of curiosity. What kind of pleasure do you derive from listening to that nonsense?

I could go on about this for an hour (maybe a good thread topic for the tavern if I can repurpose it!), but I'm going to go ahead and cop out with this: I think extremes in music are interesting phenomena, such as this Recon song that is nothing but a few (terrible) breakdowns or the guy from Viraemia playing a surfboard with strings on it. And I really like technical death metal and some deathcore so I genuinely enjoy some long, sprawling, spasm-style instrumental sections and childish chant-intro-to-bassdrop style breakdowns.

Edit: Also, what Xlxlx said!

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:39 pm 

Hayisforhorses wrote:

Im guessing you know Pyrexia but if not Sermon of Mockery and the Hatred Anger And Disgust ep both kick ass.

Sampled a few tracks off that IM demo. Pretty good stuff other than the drum sound. I'm already a big fan of Sermon of Mockery, though HAaD doesn't really do much for me. Thanks!

Misfit74 wrote:
This album gets a lot of love for an older BDM release: Pyaemia - Cerebral Cereal (2001). Also, there are a ton of good rec's in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85549

Damn, that Pyaemia stuff is pretty good. Sick album art as well, haha. I've been through some of that thread before, but it's hard to get an idea of what anything sounds like because the whole goddamn thing is album covers with hardly any info.

Zero_Nowhere wrote:

I actually really like the first IB album along with the pre-full length stuff. After that I'm not a huge fan. Will definitely look into the other stuff you recommended though, thanks!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 289  Next