Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:29 am 

Regarding Immolation, Harnessing Ruin sticks out considerably. It has many similarities with Unholy Cult, but the last three albums are quite different from it, and Close to a World Below and before that sounded different as well. Shadows in the Light has some songs that wouldn't sound out of place on Harnessing Ruin, perhaps. It's more focused, much less chaotic and its structures are clear and easily grasped. There's much less energy than on most other albums, and the songs are more catchy than sinister.

The last four aren't as good as the first five, unfortunately. Personally, I like all of them immensely anyway.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:29 am 

The last two Immolation albums have a more modern, heavier production, which I personally like better. The drumming feels better to me too.

Grindcoremaniac135
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:04 am 

Anyone that know some bands like Lykathea aflame and mithras?

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:34 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
The last two Immolation albums have a more modern, heavier production, which I personally like better. The drumming feels better to me too.

Appalling Spawn, T.O.O.H, Gigan

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:36 pm 

Divine Eve kick some serious ass. They remind me of Celtic Frost and Entombed and despite not being the most original DM out there, they just simply rule. Crushing death metal that's just straight to the point and has killer riffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=541x9UW3VDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXnfilJ7aWc

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:48 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Divine Eve kick some serious ass. They remind me of Celtic Frost and Entombed and despite not being the most original DM out there, they just simply rule. Crushing death metal that's just straight to the point and has killer riffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=541x9UW3VDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXnfilJ7aWc

Divine Eve are awesome. I remember reading a review of their demo in Terrorizer back in the early 90s, being blown away when I finally heard it. I always loved those early Cathedral-inspired doom riffs.

Crimson Relic (the band they evolved into) is pretty damn great as well.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:23 pm 

Grindcoremaniac135 wrote:
Anyone that know some bands like Lykathea aflame and mithras?

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

Appalling Spawn, T.O.O.H, Gigan

This guy was probably intending to respond to you. Also try these:

Alienation Mental: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZIIGuXpgvw
Blood of Christ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7wRJfIALc8
Cephalectomy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ64tIwpAF4
Embryonic Devourment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8266cjcEWiU
Flourishing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utKqMxz5Ynw
Sarpanitum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcJGHat0IbA
The Senseless: http://thesenseless.bandcamp.com/
Later-era Wormed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWyA6nwrs1M

I'm also working on a project that'll basically amount to Lykathea Aflame with BM riffs, but I suppose that's not out yet so it doesn't count. :P

Grindcoremaniac135
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:21 am 

Thanks you both for the tips!

Zaumbi von Stankenflesh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:15 pm 

Looking for blackened death metal that alternates between atmospheric and heavy riffs that change often and unpredictably, deep growls and deep guitars and deep synth that all sound distant (but not with heavy reverb), and with an epic atmosphere but very little repetition (is it possible, I wonder?). I don't like synth or guitar where the notes are clearly distinguished. I do like blast beats but it's not necessary. A cross between the atmospheres of early Bloodthorn and early Nile, but with more complex drumming and less shredding, respectively. Thanks.

MetalMaidenMal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:04 pm 

Hey, death metal is a neglected genre in my library, so I'd appreciate some suggestions. I feel like death metal is a hard area to get into because anyone can play bad, generic death metal, so the untalented ones who just make noise and all sound alike far outnumber the gems. So, tell me what's worth listening to! My personal preference is for there to be a very strong vocal melody in spite of the harsh vocals, and melodic guitar riffs too. I like In Flames (though not so much their recent stuff) and Amon Amarth. I'd particularly like something Amon Amarth-ish, that's really heavy but still melodic.

Also, although I'm a bit more likely to be into melodic death, feel free to throw me whatever you think is the best of death metal, even if it's more on the technical side. I'm looking to expand my metal education. So, what are the great must-listen death metal bands?

Grindcoremaniac135
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:53 am 

MetalMaidenMal wrote:
Hey, death metal is a neglected genre in my library, so I'd appreciate some suggestions. I feel like death metal is a hard area to get into because anyone can play bad, generic death metal, so the untalented ones who just make noise and all sound alike far outnumber the gems. So, tell me what's worth listening to! My personal preference is for there to be a very strong vocal melody in spite of the harsh vocals, and melodic guitar riffs too. I like In Flames (though not so much their recent stuff) and Amon Amarth. I'd particularly like something Amon Amarth-ish, that's really heavy but still melodic.

Also, although I'm a bit more likely to be into melodic death, feel free to throw me whatever you think is the best of death metal, even if it's more on the technical side. I'm looking to expand my metal education. So, what are the great must-listen death metal bands?

Kataklysm is melodic death metal, but if you want something technical and epic like nile, try Lykathea aflame!

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:50 am 

MetalMaidenMal wrote:

In Mourning!!!

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:59 am 

Grindcoremaniac135 wrote:
MetalMaidenMal wrote:

Kataklysm is melodic death metal, but if you want something technical and epic like nile, try Lykathea aflame!

Going from IF into LA is like going from a Datsun to a Ferrari... Also, he didn't mention Nile, that was the other guy above him.

If you're that "noob" in terms of death metal I'd certainly recommend the heavyweights of the MDM scene first, that is before plunging head first into what's a really vast world of bands and styles.

So, you like old In Flames and Amon Amarth right? Try the following, and yeah there's a lot of known names there:

-Arch Enemy (Stigmata, Burning Bridges)
-At The Gates (Slaughter Of The Sun)
-Carcass (Heartwork)
-Dark Tranquillity (The Gallery, The Mind's I, Damage Done)
-Hypocrisy (10 Years Of Chaos And Confusion)
-Insomnium (Above The Weeping World)
-Path Of Debris (The Eyes Of The Basilisk)
-Sacrilege (Lost In The Beauty You Slay, The Fifth Season)
-Soilwork (The Chainheart Machine)

I know the Hypocrisy disc is a compilation, but it's just a completely awesome collection of hymns from the band. It's really worth checking out.

You can also check some death metal bands that have a sweet tooth for melody, while still being really muscular. Try these:

-Anata (Under A Stone With No Inscription)
-Beyond Creation (The Aura)
-Bolt Thrower (Those Once Loyal)
-Cynic (Focus)
-Death (Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic)
-Disincarnate (Dreams Of The Carrion Kind)
-Dismember (Indecent And Obscene)
-Edge Of Sanity (Purgatory Afterglow)
-Quo Vadis (Day Into Night)
-Unleashed (Midvinterblot)

Some of those are probably over the top for you right now, but they should prove interesting. ;)

brchina
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:39 am 

Not sure if it's the right thread but, can anyone recommend some albums like Dissection's Reinkaos? With good production, melodic, harsh vocals and epic melodies. Thanks.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:42 am 

brchina wrote:
Not sure if it's the right thread but, can anyone recommend some albums like Dissection's Reinkaos? With good production, melodic, harsh vocals and epic melodies. Thanks.

Sacrilege's Lost In The Beauty You Slay should please you, although it isn't as catchy as Reinkaos. It's also slightly faster paced. Try Unanimated's In The Light Of Darkness for something a bit "blacker" too.

Lensherr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25 pm 

Hi guys, I'm not very knowledgeable with death metal, I was curious, is there any death metal with some kind of epic sound to it or even maybe rather uplifting?

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:47 pm 

Lensherr wrote:
Hi guys, I'm not very knowledgeable with death metal, I was curious, is there any death metal with some kind of epic sound to it or even maybe rather uplifting?

Fleshgod Apocalypse. Tech-y death metal with symphonics - is bombastic and epic as fuck. Agony is good in that terms, also the Mafia EP (Their best release imo).

Lensherr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:59 pm 

DarkWolfXV wrote:
Lensherr wrote:

Fleshgod Apocalypse. Tech-y death metal with symphonics - is bombastic and epic as fuck. Agony is good in that terms, also the Mafia EP (Their best release imo).

Oh, so fast answer and yet so good, I'm giving a listen to fleshgod apocalypse, it's quite pleasuring so far !
Thanks!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:43 pm 

Lensherr wrote:

Lykathea Aflame should do the trick, unless you find it too hard hitting. ;)

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:16 pm 

androdion wrote:
Lensherr wrote:

Noooo, let him save the treats for later. :( If he listens to them now he'll be like me and be left searching for a purpose in a world where the greatest thing ever has already been heard.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:43 pm 

:lol:

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:38 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
androdion wrote:

Noooo, let him save the treats for later. :( If he listens to them now he'll be like me and be left searching for a purpose in a world where the greatest thing ever has already been heard.

Until he hears Oracle Moon by Garden of Shadows. It is seriously epic, and it is melodic death metal, so it does have its fair share of uplifting parts.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:48 am 

XcKyle93 wrote:
Until he hears Oracle Moon by Garden of Shadows. It is seriously epic, and it is melodic death metal, so it does have its fair share of uplifting parts.

Listening to this now, and... well, wow. It's really, really good, to say the very least. Thank you. :)

Lensherr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:24 am 

Actually I know Lykathea already, and I recognize I like this band, it's one of the band that gave me the idea of my question in this thread, I don't know Gardens of shadow tho, so I'm gonna give it a listen, thanks guys!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:42 am 

Lensherr wrote:

Anata, especially the debut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JvGogVY9qA

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:29 am 

I'm curious to hear if somebody in here knows anything remotely similar to Crypt Of Kerberos circa World Of Myths. I've been spinning that album on a daily basis recently, love the epic tone of the guitars and the constant neoclassical fiddling intertwined with what seems like an almost Finnish sense of morbid melody. Anyone knows anything that explores these elements, if not in whole at least in some part?

By the way Lensherr, do check this album! ;)

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:27 pm 

Any doomier/more atmosphere-heavy slam like the first song of Jenovavirus's demo.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:34 pm 

Lensherr wrote:

Ex Deo should do the trick. Roman Empire themed death metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l38JxFUCh0I

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:09 am 

androdion wrote:
I'm curious to hear if somebody in here knows anything remotely similar to Crypt Of Kerberos circa World Of Myths.

Anyone?!

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:33 am 

I haven't or if I have it's not striking me right now. Very unique album.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:46 am 

It is indeed. I was just wondering if anything slipped under my radar that could touch the same buttons, at least to some extent.

Necromaniac99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:29 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100638 ..so let´s discuss it here then . i´m too lazy to write the same thing again ...

Nanoscourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:43 pm 

You actually typed more saying that than you did in the thread.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:18 pm 

MetalMaidenMal wrote:
I'm looking to expand my metal education. So, what are the great must-listen death metal bands?

Since you're already into Melodic death metal, here's some old school DM for you to try out.

Deicide - Legion
I've always felt their riffs are very melodic (for OSDM) and agreeable. And while the vocals might not be melodic in the traditional sense, Glen's high pitch growls combined with his distinct rhythmic singing makes him easy to listen to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGEleYmp_sU

Dismember
While being 100% death metal, they are very close to regular heavy metal. Listen to the riffs and the guitar leads and you'll see what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2dI6xiLqxI

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:26 pm 

Very simple request: I am looking for OSDM in the vein of Scream Bloody Gore and Severed Survival, especially as far as the vocals are concerned. I am seeing a lot of recommendations for Asphyx and Obituary; are there any others?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:38 am 

Sure. Check out Obliteration's second album. Murder Squad are also a cool overlooked band; it's Autopsy worship by some swedeath dudes so has some unmistakably Swedish elements but is otherwise very cool.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:29 am 

Recently discovered Cryptic tales. I've only heard their early stuff so far but it's pretty cool.

Their debut seems to be stereotype DM with some acoustic sections thrown in here and there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CFkAAMJmlI

Their EP Valley of the Dolls has some groove and flute sections put in. It's weird but works pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgqr_SiaWzA

Lensherr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:37 am 

Thanks for advicing me to listen to Fleshgod apocalypse, despites the bad reviews it had, the album Labyrinth was really fucking good in my opinion. And it comes from someone who doesn't listen to death metal at all usually, so my opinion on it is not biased.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:25 pm 

Actually, you could say that it's biased toward death metal that doesn't really sound like death metal :P

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:29 pm 

Lensherr wrote:
Thanks for advicing me to listen to Fleshgod apocalypse, despites the bad reviews it had, the album Labyrinth was really fucking good in my opinion. And it comes from someone who doesn't listen to death metal at all usually, so my opinion on it is not biased.

That's like saying Missionary is the best position and we should agree with you because you had sex for the first time :P

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 289  Next