Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tentacleterror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:04 am 

iAm wrote:
I've recently gotten into Goregrind, and Slam too. I'm pretty well versed in Goregrind, but could use some lesser known recs and where to start with Slam. Thanks.

Maybe a bit late, after i get home from work later today i will show you some of the lesser known underground goregrind. (both new and old)
We will see how well versed you are. :-P

Edit: list here

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:25 am 

Good list. Always considered Total Rusak more BDM than anything though. Even though I hate goregrind, here's a few more recs that you may like, but probably know. Generally in the vein of the more blast oriented stuff:

Last Days of Humanity
Lascivious
Vaginal Juice
Inopexia
Paediatrician
Viscera Infest
Vomitorial Corpulence
Infant Myasis
Active Stenosis
Gangrenous Erythromelalgia
Offal
Putrefuck
Fetus Slicer
Corporal Raid
Neuro Visceral Exhumation

Last edited by blarg223 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:57 pm 

Hey obscure occult stuff from the 90s that isn't well known is always welcome. Currently listening to a playlist with Totten Korps and Morbius, that should give you an idea.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:10 pm 

So just obscure 90s DM in general? Lemme see what I can look up....

Accidental Suicide
Afterlife
Agony Conscience
Ahret Dev
Blessed Sickness
Bodybag
Caducity
Ceremonial Oath
Conscious Rot
Corpus Rottus
Creepmime
Crucifixion (TX, released Desert of Shattered Hopes)
Crusher
Damnation (POL)
Dark Millenium
Darth Vader's Church
Deathrune
Death Vomit (RUS)
Decrepit
Demented Ted
Demonic Sacrifice
Deteriorot (played my fest last year, excellent live!!)
Disgrace
Disciple
Dissect
Divine Eve
Embryotomy
Entorturement
Eructation
Eternal Solstice
Excrement
Excruciating Pain
Exploding Zombies
Festerday
Funebre
Furbowl
Gorelust
Gutted
Gutwrench
Hetsheads
Horror of Horrors
Incubator
Internal Decay
Inverted
Killing Addiction
Khonkra
Korpse
Krhoma Death
Lemming Project
Lustration
Malamor
Mangled Torsos
Miasma
Misery
Monastyr
Naphobia
Natron
Necrosanct
Necrotic Mutation
Nembrionic
Obscenity
Pavor
Pestigore
Psychic Pawn
Purulence
Rebaelliun
Rhadamantys
Runemagick
Sabbatic Feast
Sacretomia
Sarcastic Terror
Scattered Remnants
Scythe
Shub Niggurath
Sickening Gore
Splattered Cadaver
Suffercation
Swollen (post-Iniquity stuff, really excellent)
Torchure
Tyrant Trooper
Vibrion
Violent Dirge
Vomiturition
Wicked Innocence
Xenomorph

I really had no idea what you were asking for stylistically, since Morbius and TK are two radically bands, so I just kind of included a bunch of the 90s bullshit that I'm familiar with that not so many people seem to have heard. Hope you like at least a few. If this is way off base, well sorry, I tried lol

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:49 pm 

What links those two bands is the darkness to their sound, the occult themes and a sense of not being into their music for the catchy hooks and Nuclear Blast contract offers.

To help narrow it down, from the bands from the list, Miasma and Shub Niggurath probably are the closest matches, Creepmime, Obscenity, Pavor and Runemagick are the furthest from it.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:08 pm 

What's the best Cephalic Carnage album? All I've heard is Anomalies & despite all the weed-fueled shenanigans it's actually pretty good. Any takers?

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:06 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
What's the best Cephalic Carnage album? All I've heard is Anomalies & despite all the weed-fueled shenanigans it's actually pretty good. Any takers?

Not a big fan but Exploiting Dysfuntion and Lucid Interval are imo their best albums. But the Halls of Amenti ep is easily the best thing i have heard from them.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:46 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Hey obscure occult stuff from the 90s that isn't well known is always welcome. Currently listening to a playlist with Totten Korps and Morbius, that should give you an idea.

might these work?

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:56 pm 

IamDBR wrote:

The split with Anal Blast:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Cephalic_Carnage/Perversion..._and_the_Guilt_After_-_Version_5.Obese/64605

There are a couple songs off of it on Youtube:

tentacleterror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:55 am 

droneriot wrote:

From the 80's but this one: https://www.discogs.com/Yog-Sothoth-Yog-Sothoth/release/1735913
I hope you like psychotic jazz :)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:07 pm 

Amber Gray, I know all those bands, but they are exactly the style I'm looking for.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:02 pm 

@droneriot, Graveyard Rodeo are pretty interesting, occult-themed death/sludge. Lots of heavy, massive riffs with just the right amount of melody.

Also, try Pentacle, but I guess you've heard of them.

IcIkte
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:56 am 

This post is certainly gratuitous, but i'm looking to expand on my death metal collection. Over the last few years i've had to replace my digital music a few times and have boiled down my personal death metal essentials each time. So i'm just going to post my collection by band looking for recommendations based on my general list. If anybody could list some lesser known gems within the vein of my particular DM palette to look into i'd very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Abyssal
Adramelech
Aevangelist
Alterage
Altars
Artificial Brain
Chthe'ilist
Death
Demilich
Disembowelment
Ehnahre
Gorguts
Howls of Ebb
Immolation
Impetuous Ritual
Molested
Necros Christos
Nile
Opeth
Portal
Sonne Adam
StarGazer
Ulcerate

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:00 am 

droneriot wrote:

Some of these are more obscure than others, certainly around these parts anyway:

Insatanity - Divine Decomposition (reminds me a lot of Infester admittedly not as great but decent and seemingly less well known)

Impaler - Charnel Deity (not super obscure but great primitive osdm with lots of atmosphere)

Psychrist - Abysmal Fiend (again less obscure. Brutal osdm with some blackened occult qualities kind of like Imprecation meets old Deicide and Suffocation)

Symphony of Grief - Our Blessed Conqueror (solid Incantation-esque death/doom an old Wild Rags release so probably known nowadays)

Magus - Ruminations of Debauchery (maybe a stretch. pre-Absu weird abysmal death/doom)

Ahrimah - Ain Soph Aur (strange and highly atmospheric dm, similar to Catacomb if I remember rightly)

Embalmed Souls - Journey Through Bizarre + Become Vengeance, Become Wrath (excellent dark chunky midpaced dm with some quirks, dunno how obscure but certainly deserving of more attention)

Deafness - Oppressing the Silence (again a stretch, brutal death metal with dark vaguely occult themes reminds me of Scattered Remnants)

Sephiroth - Moon, Sun Heaven & Earth (ex members of Afterlife, been a while but I remember enjoying this a lot)

Astaroth - Lost State of Dreams (solid death metal from ex-members of Brutality)

Mortem - in the incredible unlikelihood you don't already know them.
Disciples of Mockery - see Mortem

Last edited by Hayisforhorses on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:35 am 

IcIkte wrote:
This post is certainly gratuitous, but i'm looking to expand on my death metal collection. Over the last few years i've had to replace my digital music a few times and have boiled down my personal death metal essentials each time. So i'm just going to post my collection by band looking for recommendations based on my general list. If anybody could list some lesser known gems within the vein of my particular DM palette to look into i'd very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Abyssal
Adramelech
Aevangelist
Alterage
Altars
Artificial Brain
Chthe'ilist
Death
Demilich
Disembowelment
Ehnahre
Gorguts
Howls of Ebb
Immolation
Impetuous Ritual
Molested
Necros Christos
Nile
Opeth
Portal
Sonne Adam
StarGazer
Ulcerate

Yeaaaaahhhh...that's pretty broad, but here's some shit you should probably like if you don't already know.

Blackthorn
Skeletal Remains
Masada
Grave Miasma
Drawn and Quartered
Infester
Heaving Earth
Destroying Divinity
Nauseant
Nucleus
Zealotry
Arkhon Infaustus
Paroxizhem
Ur Draugr
Gigan
Grave Upheaval
Ad Nauseum
Mithras
Cosmic Atrophy
Vuvr
The Wakedead Gathering
Innsmouth
Genocide Shrines
Rites of thy Degringolade
Kthoniik Cerviiks
Convergence from Within
Throne of Nails
Chaos Inception
Pyrrhon
Ingurgitating Oblivion
Sarpanitum
Thaetas
Dire Omen
Antediluvian
Excommunion (Colorado)
Lago
Last Sacrament
Lykathea Aflame
Ade

I think that's the broadest list I've ever had to create hahaha

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:58 am 

IcIkte wrote:
This post is certainly gratuitous...

Dunno your tastes seem pretty clear cut towards weird dissonant/tech death metal and cavernous stuff, the only ones outside of that are Opeth, Death and to a some extent Nile. TBH blarg223 hit the nail on the head with most of his recs. Beyond those id suggest:

Morbius - anything (this should appeal to both sides of your interest, cavernous and strange)

Wicked Innocence - Omnipotence. (bizarre spaced out death metal, shades of Demilich but more overtly weird, an early precursor to shit like Gigan)

Oppressor - Solstice of Oppression. (old-school chaotic tech death, pretty odd for its time)

Flourishing - anything (given you mention Ehnare and Gorguts, excellent mix of angular death, post-hardcore and grind influences)

Vengeful - anything (these guys have featured members of Chthe'ilist and Zealotry, tech death of the dissonant/textural Immolation/Gorguts kind, should appeal)

Kataklysm - early stuff (crazy feral blasting death/grind, should be right in your area of interest)

Esoteric - Metamorphogenesis (as you mention disembowelment, hallucinogenic death/doom all their stuff is great but this is my personal favourite)

Baring Teeth (personally not a fan of these guys but may appeal to a fan of Ulcerate and if you enjoy Pyrrhon)

Scald - anything (Irish death/sludge/grind mind fuckery, if you enjoyed Esoteric but wished they had the grinding sections of disembowelment then this may appeal, the vocals may be an acquired taste, personally id suggest the Nematoid demos or headworm lp)

Nuclear Death - Carrion for Worm (super weird lo-fi outsider death/grind, first impression will likely be wtf, but listen close and you will hear some fucked up almost Portal-esque shit going on.

Incantation - Order from Chaos - Evoken - Funebrarum - Disma - Deteriorot (seeing as you mention a bunch of cavernous dm I assume you probably know of these bands but if not you cant go wrong with these)

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:17 pm 

Anyone know any good WWI/WWII-themed death metal? I've been on a Hail of Bullets roll lately, and the imagery is cool. Bands I know are God Dethroned, Bolt Thrower, Panzerchrist(?) and that's it.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:35 pm 

There's not many. This one springs to mind however!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:04 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Anyone know any good WWI/WWII-themed death metal? I've been on a Hail of Bullets roll lately, and the imagery is cool. Bands I know are God Dethroned, Bolt Thrower, Panzerchrist(?) and that's it.

Decaying (Finland); osdm
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Decaying/3540318319

1914; black/death/doom
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/1914/3540396156

Sacriphyx; similar to Arghoslent in terms of riffing
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sacriphyx/102084

On a more melodic side:
Dark Lunacy
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dark_Lunacy/134

Torchbearer
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Torchbearer/12891

There are more black metal bands writing about WWI/II for some reason, if you're interested tell me.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:00 pm 

West Wall as well if you don't mind the band being members of Bound for Glory. Massive Bolt Thrower clone, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAI0hXPq4ns

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:26 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:

Just Before Dawn is some solid Bolt Thrower/Hail of Bullets worship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJI3_gvKOqA

Trenchrot is really good and has a big Bolt Thrower influence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNOZNqW943M

IcIkte
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:26 am 

blarg223 wrote:
IcIkte wrote:

Abyssal
Adramelech
Aevangelist
Alterage
Altars
Artificial Brain
Chthe'ilist
Death
Demilich
Disembowelment
Ehnahre
Gorguts
Howls of Ebb
Immolation
Impetuous Ritual
Molested
Necros Christos
Nile
Opeth
Portal
Sonne Adam
StarGazer
Ulcerate

Yeaaaaahhhh...that's pretty broad, but here's some shit you should probably like if you don't already know.

Blackthorn
Skeletal Remains
Masada
Grave Miasma
Drawn and Quartered
Infester
Heaving Earth
Destroying Divinity
Nauseant
Nucleus
Zealotry
Arkhon Infaustus
Paroxizhem
Ur Draugr
Gigan
Grave Upheaval
Ad Nauseum
Mithras
Cosmic Atrophy
Vuvr
The Wakedead Gathering
Innsmouth
Genocide Shrines
Rites of thy Degringolade
Kthoniik Cerviiks
Convergence from Within
Throne of Nails
Chaos Inception
Pyrrhon
Ingurgitating Oblivion
Sarpanitum
Thaetas
Dire Omen
Antediluvian
Excommunion (Colorado)
Lago
Last Sacrament
Lykathea Aflame
Ade

I think that's the broadest list I've ever had to create hahaha

I appreciate the reply, i just figure i'd take care of nabbing whatever recommendations with a single post for everything i'm already into.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:21 pm 

I haven't been around this thread in a while but I need to post about this fucking band called Sentient Horror. It's one of those cases where I read the press release and I don't feel like they're bullshitting me, like at all! Seriously good stuff and some of the best Swedeath I've heard in years! If you like Edge of Sanity circa 1991-93 then there's no reason why you shouldn't listen to this.

https://testimonyrecords.bandcamp.com/a ... odly-forms

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:33 pm 

androdion wrote:
I haven't been around this thread in a while but I need to post about this fucking band called Sentient Horror. It's one of those cases where I read the press release and I don't feel like they're bullshitting me, like at all! Seriously good stuff and some of the best Swedeath I've heard in years! If you like Edge of Sanity circa 1991-93 then there's no reason why you shouldn't listen to this.

https://testimonyrecords.bandcamp.com/a ... odly-forms

I remember bumping this alongwith with Ghoulgotha & Eraserhead last year. Then it got lost in the shuffle for best of 2016 lists & catching up on "what you might have missed this year" stuff. Good shit!

Panzerschreckrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:40 am 

What are some good bands that have very powerful riffs and interplays between riffs with technical drums like early Cryptopsy or Suffocation?

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:22 am 

Inveracity
Pyaemia
Cenotaph (TUR)
Arsebreed
Severe Torture
Defeated Sanity
Pyrexia
Mortal Decay
Unmerciful
Severed Savior
Defacing (Chile)
Brutus
Despondency
Lykathea Aflame
early Kataklysm
Deamon
Scattered Remnants

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:41 am 

droneriot wrote:

A far as I can tell you are as much in love with Sororicide- The Entity as I. I have spent years searching for anything that might capture the same vibe, I have found a few but I think you already know them. If you have any great atmospheric DM recs like this I would love to hear them.

Have you heard the 1993 Sororicide demo? Its actually a continuation of the style. Its really fucking good.

A few recs. for your request:
have you heard the first Abhorrence(FIN) demo? I think you have but just covering basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9tQPI1Prvk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSGi6Gdc9DA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oud9RMMuhPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHsqQ9trOhM

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:43 am 

I'm looking for dissonant death metal in the vein of Ulcerate or perhaps something like a death metal equivalent (or ersatz) for the Icelandic black metal style of Svartidauði and the like. It shouldn't be too doomy, cavernous or suffocating in terms of production. Riffs don't have to be extremely intricate or chaotic like Deathspell Omega, but I'm not looking for the Australian style of bands like Impetuous Ritual. I prefer brighter production to a murky one. Massive bonus points for the scarce - but all the more powerful for that - tasteful melodic part; the kind that takes you by surprise and provides a gorgeous contrast to the darkness by shining a little light on it.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:31 pm 

I'll throw a couple at you. I know you said no Australian stuff, but here's a couple anyway :grin:

I also am aware that I may be waaaay off base here, but I'll try.

Altars - Khaz'neh

Has it's moments of dissonance combined with maybe too much Immolation-esque influences dripping from the thick, ropey chord work?

Bloody Sign - For the Unknown

French death metal. Good to fucking great stuff. Brighter production than Altars, but with enough tense, dissonant brutality surging everything forward.

Aethyrvorous - I

Yep. This probably the exact opposite of what your request states, so yeah. Sorry haha (this IS only a demo though)

Bout all I can think of right now.

My collection

IcIkte
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:53 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm looking for dissonant death metal in the vein of Ulcerate or perhaps something like a death metal equivalent (or ersatz) for the Icelandic black metal style of Svartidauði and the like. It shouldn't be too doomy, cavernous or suffocating in terms of production. Riffs don't have to be extremely intricate or chaotic like Deathspell Omega, but I'm not looking for the Australian style of bands like Impetuous Ritual. I prefer brighter production to a murky one. Massive bonus points for the scarce - but all the more powerful for that - tasteful melodic part; the kind that takes you by surprise and provides a gorgeous contrast to the darkness by shining a little light on it.

For Ulcerate try these bands if you haven't heard them

Artificial Brain
Demilich
Gorguts
StarGazer

for Svartidaudi, try

Plebeian Grandstand
Azoic
Wormlust

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:35 am 

@Ilwhyan: I can't grab a link since I'm on mobile, but have you heard Errata by Convulsing? It reminds me of Ulcerate/Swarth-era Portal but with a sometimes more pronounced sense of melody.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:23 am 

I'm on the lookout for that breed of brutal death metal that's kind of technical but not quite to the point of 'technical brutal death metal'-- brutal death metal that keeps things intense without losing sight of actual riffing and isn't afraid to groove or slam, too. Think stuff like Gorelust, Insidious Decrepancy, and early Malignancy (before half their riffs were pinch harmonics).

Also would appreciate any recommendations for any bands that nail the sound Brodequin had on Festivals of Death-- blistering fast brutal death metal with the same sort of anachronistic sense for melody which that album wielded so effectively. I've been trying to find any bands or albums that really capture the spirit of that one, and though I've not had much luck, hopefully somebody here might be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:25 am 

Rykov wrote:
I'm on the lookout for that breed of brutal death metal that's kind of technical but not quite to the point of 'technical brutal death metal'-- brutal death metal that keeps things intense without losing sight of actual riffing and isn't afraid to groove or slam, too. Think stuff like Gorelust, Insidious Decrepancy, and early Malignancy (before half their riffs were pinch harmonics).

I think Sepsism might be up your alley. All of their stuff is excellent but a personal favorite would be To Prevail in Disgust.

Quote:
Also would appreciate any recommendations for any bands that nail the sound Brodequin had on Festivals of Death-- blistering fast brutal death metal with the same sort of anachronistic sense for melody which that album wielded so effectively. I've been trying to find any bands or albums that really capture the spirit of that one, and though I've not had much luck, hopefully somebody here might be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

An obvious starting point would be the Baileys' associated band, Liturgy, tho they are inferior to Brodequin in my opinion. It may be worthwhile to spin Cinerary as well, but again I don't think I ever heard something really comparable to Brodequin.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:19 pm 

I'm familiar with all three bands, but thanks for the recommendation.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:32 pm 

For bands like Brodequin, check out this list I created on RYM all about super fast, blasting BDM. I'm sure a lot will be right up your alley.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Morguelo ... -sickness/

To be a little more specific with that, check out Carnal from Colombia. Sounds almost exactly like FoD in my eyes. Buccal Defecation, Cadavoracity, Dismal Divinity, and Copremesis would also probably be right up your alley. Pustulated also featured Chad Walls, the drummer for the first two Brodequin albums, so check out their first full length for sure. Embodied Torment, Coprobaptized Cunthunter, and Bowel Stew all love Brodequin so much they have included covers of their songs on their respective albums, so give them a shot as well. Tools of Torture, Baalsebub, and Seraphic Enthronement all ape Brodequin's style even down to the medieval torture themes, so those may be your best bet. Lemme know how you feel about those and check out that list for sure.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:49 pm 

Rykov wrote:
...breed of brutal death metal that's kind of technical but not quite to the point of 'technical brutal death metal'...

I'll give it a go, some recent stuff off the top of my head:

Beheaded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qADbY53U3Cg

Condemned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN7bLRl5YXI

Disentomb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuXb2ic_24c

Cranial Engorgement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP1l0Xj9UJU

Dehumanized
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYTjbYB4pQ

Human Enslavement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUkPnrb-DfQ

Scordatura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVckmofsweQ

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:07 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Devouring Star. The new EP is out in a few days, and sounds along the lines of what you are looking for.

Zhrine. One of the Icelandic bands and has more death metal in it than other Icelandic bands in the style.

Ad Nauseam. Another one worth checking out.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:39 am 

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations!

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Altars - Khaz'neh

Has it's moments of dissonance combined with maybe too much Immolation-esque influences dripping from the thick, ropey chord work?

Not quite what I'm looking for, but this is rather good nevertheless.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Bloody Sign - For the Unknown

French death metal. Good to fucking great stuff. Brighter production than Altars, but with enough tense, dissonant brutality surging everything forward.

If this had more stuff like the riff at 0:31, and that particular style was developed a bit further, this would be there. Some very good riffs here. The production is a bit too reverby for my liking.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Aethyrvorous - I

Yep. This probably the exact opposite of what your request states, so yeah. Sorry haha (this IS only a demo though)

Yep. :D

IcIkte wrote:
for Svartidaudi, try

Plebeian Grandstand
Azoic

I haven't heard these. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to have to listen to Wormlust again, too. It's been a while. StarGazer is a really great band, by the way. And so is Demilich, obviously.

MutantClannfear wrote:
@Ilwhyan: I can't grab a link since I'm on mobile, but have you heard Errata by Convulsing? It reminds me of Ulcerate/Swarth-era Portal but with a sometimes more pronounced sense of melody.
Yeah, I guess Convulsing is sort of there. I've heared Errata once, and I definitely enjoyed it.

What I particularly like about Ulcerate, especially The Destroyers of All and Everything is Fire, is how they use those ringing, arpeggiated guitar chords, and how powerful the atmosphere is. In fact, one perfect example of what I'm looking for is Devouring Star. Massively recommended to anyone who wants some post-DsO, blank-gazed, apocalyptic gloom. Through Lung and Heart is apparently some satanic, religious concept (the title referring to the spear of Longinus), but the music is like gazing into some swirling abyss of dreadul, unearthly powers.

Edit: Sorry, AcidWorm, I missed your post. Devouring Star and Zhrine are some of my absolute favourite bands at the moment, so you definitely have the right idea! :D I don't think I've heard Ad Nauseam, so I'll definitely check that out.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:36 pm 

I didn't see that somebody mentioned Azoic - let me just second them. Gateways is a really good album.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:36 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Edit: Sorry, AcidWorm, I missed your post. Devouring Star and Zhrine are some of my absolute favourite bands at the moment, so you definitely have the right idea! :D I don't think I've heard Ad Nauseam, so I'll definitely check that out.

No problem, I'm a big fan of this stuff too. From your description of Devouring Star, and Ulcerate I suspect you would love Ad Nauseam.

Pyrrhon is another one in the style.

Ingurgitating Oblivion is another excellent one you should check out.

Phobocosm is another one though has a little less of that twangy riffing than Ad Nauseam.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257 ... 290  Next