Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:30 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
Calm Hatchery?

or much more brutal:

Omnihility

Omnihility was closer to the Origin side of things. It was...alright. Calm Hatchery doesn't quite fit the rec (not quite cold and spacey enough) but was nonetheless extremely good stuff. Kind of reminded me of Iniquity, but with more of a thrashy, Vader-ish edge to it. So even if it doesn't fit, thanks for bringing this band to my attention!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:38 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
Does anyone know of any bands like Wormed but without the godawful inhale vocals? I really like the atmosphere they generate at around 1:47 in this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGMT0q1dPBo

Bumping this request. I got a couple of recs for things last time and the closest people got was Deeds of Flesh's newest album, which was...close. I was also recommended Artificial Brain, Desecravity and Inherit Disease and none of those really did that much for me. Basically I want that really crunchy guitar tone with really cold, shiny production doing really futuristic sounding death metal bits. It probably has to be fairly technical but the less BDM it is the better; more traditional vocals and a limited/nonexistent number of those choppy BDM riffs and/or slammy bits would be cool. Even things like Origin's Antithesis are sort of along the right lines, but they don't ever conjure the same sort of atmosphere as that cool riff in the Wormed track linked in the quote. I know someone out there has the answer!

You may already know Obscura, but that's the best I can provide.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:17 pm 

Not even close, sorry!

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:24 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Not even close, sorry!

Now that I think of it, you may want to try Spawn of Possession. Very sterile, crunchy production, more standard DM growls, no slamming riffs. I'm not sure if it quite fits the bill on sounding "spacey", but it definitely has an eerie atmosphere.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:31 pm 

Also not really remotely close. I guess I should have clarified that that clinical, spacey atmosphere is by far the most important part of the request.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:53 am 

lol, I just imagine tech-death bands like Obscura and Spawn of Possession as a bunch of geeky scientists writing all this incomprehensible mathematic bullshit on a giant chalkboard, but suddenly a bunch of Necrons from Warhammer 40k appear and kill them all in a hail of Gauss fire while Wormed's "Tautochrone" plays in the background.

Seriously, Obscura and Spawn of Possession don't sound anything like Wormed.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:20 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Also not really remotely close. I guess I should have clarified that that clinical, spacey atmosphere is by far the most important part of the request.

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but what about Lost Soul's 2009 album - Immerse in Infinity? Tech death, not BDM - but the sort of tech death that emphasises the 'death metal' side of things, not the noodly 'tech' side, if that makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfJWRn-KgwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcIOSXPN9zQ

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:58 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

I've been seriously trying to get something out of my head in order to try and fulfil your request, and it's killing me to say that I can't come up with anything! At least nothing you don't already know about.

I'm a bit curious as to why Artificial Brain didn't fit though, as I think they're probably the closest thing you'll find. What didn't you like about them?

Shit, just remembered. Take a look at this (although it's a shot in the dark of course): http://music.colossometal.com/album/abrasive-peace

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:06 am 

What about Dripping - Disintegration of Thought Patterns During a Synthetic Mind Traveling Bliss? More slammy and especially erratic (by far) than Wormed, but very fucking cool

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:17 pm 

New Divine Eve single got released last March. It's pretty okay but I do think it's just a bit too overlong.

FlynnEatsBreakfast
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:04 am 

It seems way too obvious to me iamntbatman, yet they haven't been mentioned. Mithras maybe, they got the atomspehre but I would never refer to their sound as clinical (compared to Origin).

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:11 am 

Next round of recs: Lost Soul was actually pretty much spot on, that second track especially. That's the kinda shit I'm after!

Artificial Brain are just too...hmm. Organic? Also too dissonant and warmly produced. It evokes giant mutant sandworms making sweet hermaphroditic love more than it does galaxies eating one another.

Colosso are...hmm. I'll have to listen to this more closely I guess. It hits some of the same vibes I'm after but seems to be coming from a totally different direction, if that makes any sense.

Dripping: don't do drugs, kids.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:07 am 

New Divine Eve material is a good thing, no matter what. One of the most underrated bands ever.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:20 am 

Nah, they're pretty cool but those vocals always bugged me. I might check the new stuff out later.

@iamntbatman - too bad you didn't like Dripping, I love that album

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:45 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Artificial Brain are just too...hmm. Organic? Also too dissonant and warmly produced. It evokes giant mutant sandworms making sweet hermaphroditic love more than it does galaxies eating one another.

Oh, I get what you mean. ;)
iamntbatman wrote:
Colosso are...hmm. I'll have to listen to this more closely I guess. It hits some of the same vibes I'm after but seems to be coming from a totally different direction, if that makes any sense.

It does. They're interesting in the way that they mix different things and in the conjured atmosphere. What's left to be told is if you'll like the general approach to riffing there. It's also kind of moody too, so be prepared to give it a few spins before tossing it out. :p
iamntbatman wrote:
Dripping: don't do drugs, kids.

:lol:

I'm not so sure if it'll fit or not, probably too organic as well, but are you familiar with Neglected Fields and in particular their last work?

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:08 pm 

I'm looking for bands similar to early At the Gates (i.e., their first two albums) and early Eucharist (A Velvet Creation). The closest I've found is Anata, actually, but they're usually a bit more brutal than what I'm looking for.

dayyanum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:45 pm 

overtenmy wrote:
dayyanum wrote:
Hey all, looking for some suggestions in the Deathgrind realm.

REALLY into Lock Up, Misery Index, Man Must Die, and Cattle Decap (Monolith) right now. The new Misery Index album completely slays, would love to get something along those lines. The ferocity and speed of grindcore with the technicality of death metal.

I have a big list of sludgy/crusty grindcore bands I listen to, so something with cleaner production would be nice.

I didn't see you mention Dying Fetus. If you like Misery Index and Cattle Decapitation, you should like them too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwsCBmfNU88&sns=em

There's also Cephalic Carnage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-SmteAEz1A&sns=em

Crap, I already listen to both of those bands, haha.

Any other thoughts? If it gets more on the grindy side of things that's find. Started listening to the first Terrorizer album, which is also close.

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:15 pm 

dayyanum wrote:
Hey all, looking for some suggestions in the Deathgrind realm.

REALLY into Lock Up, Misery Index, Man Must Die, and Cattle Decap (Monolith) right now. The new Misery Index album completely slays, would love to get something along those lines. The ferocity and speed of grindcore with the technicality of death metal.

You may like Aborted. Fast, technical, and extremely heavy and chaotic. The vocals are a bit eh, but the music makes up for it IMO. They've just released a new album, so that's not a bad place to start.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:25 am 

dayyanum wrote:
Any other thoughts? If it gets more on the grindy side of things that's find. Started listening to the first Terrorizer album, which is also close.

Assück! ;)

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:53 am 

Hello all

I want album like "surgical steel" by carcass

peterpessimism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:49 pm 

Recommend me any slam/brutal death metal bands from Asian countries. Examples are Pus Vomit, Gorevent, Turbidity and Human Mastication.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:30 pm 

peterpessimism wrote:
Recommend me any slam/brutal death metal bands from Asian countries. Examples are Pus Vomit, Gorevent, Turbidity and Human Mastication.

Wafat - Cemetery Of Cellarage (1997) (IDN)

Luciferno
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:40 pm 

ok well i figured this was the best forum to try since a few people seem well versed in Brutal Death Metal/Slam. awhile back i found a band based on the incredible album art, but i cant remember the band name (it was weird) all i can remember was it was a Brutal Death Metal band (or slam) and the album cover was a beach with a jellyfish or kraken or some kind of sea creature impaling people on the beach. it really stood out because for the most part the album cover was bright and colorful instead of the usual dark, shadow-y, blood drenched albums. if anyone can help to jog my memory on what this band or album is id be insanely grateful. im not 100% sure, but i think the band name was a type of jellyfish, or some mythological sea creature.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:52 am 

peterpessimism wrote:

Blunt Force Trauma - Vengeance For Nothing (2013)

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:49 am 

Does anybody know brutal death metal bands that have melodic riffs like Fleshless?

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:51 pm 

Looking for anything similar to Rudra. This band is blowing my mind.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:42 am 

Headless420 wrote:
Looking for anything similar to Rudra. This band is blowing my mind.

You mean the folk band Rudra?
If you'd like some death metal in that vein, perhaps you'd like Kartikeya, Lykathea Aflame or Blood Of Kingu

Noise Not Music
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:29 pm 

My request is broad but I think there's a chance to find some great albums and bands.

I'm looking for death metal with very chaotic guitar solos. Just wild, insane piercing lead guitar action. Examples of what I'm looking for would be Trey's playing on Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness. Mithras is another good example of a death metal band with disorderly guitar soloing. And while obviously not death metal, Slayer also have solos with the sort of feel I'm looking for.

Maybe to narrow it down a bit, aim for bands that you don't see talked about as much as others/less obvious choices. But I'm open to anything that fits the bill.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:34 pm 

You need to check out Angelcorpse. Exterminate is one of my favorite albums.

Any 'psychedelic' death metal? I love Skeleton of God's Primordial Dominion and I'd like some more in that vein, but I'll anything weird and fuced up/drugged out stuff a go.

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:30 pm 

andersbang wrote:
You need to check out Angelcorpse. Exterminate is one of my favorite albums.

Any 'psychedelic' death metal? I love Skeleton of God's Primordial Dominion and I'd like some more in that vein, but I'll anything weird and fuced up/drugged out stuff a go.

Mithras sounds like what you're looking for. Strange guitar style and tone, very complex songwriting but also free-flowing in an almost jazz way.

Now that I think of it, give Fallujah a spin. Very atmospheric, out-there death metal with some techy and blackened bits.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:31 pm 

I know (and love) Mithras, but they are definitely not what I'm thinking of when thinking psychedelic death.

I've been meaning to check out Fallujah for some time now, but have been holding off because of their (earlier?) deathcore description. I don't hear much if any deathcore in the song you posted, but I didn't really like it and would consider them pure tech death (if atmospheric) rather than weird or psychedelic.

Thanks for the recommendations, but not the direction I was looking for. Listen to this song off Primodial Dominion by Skeleton of God, or maybe think of a death metal version of Nachtmystium's more trippy records (though preferably a bit more 'death' than Nachtmystium is 'black' if that makes sense).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvG-PavFoLk

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:04 pm 

andersbang wrote:
I know (and love) Mithras, but they are definitely not what I'm thinking of when thinking psychedelic death.

I've been meaning to check out Fallujah for some time now, but have been holding off because of their (earlier?) deathcore description. I don't hear much if any deathcore in the song you posted, but I didn't really like it and would consider them pure tech death (if atmospheric) rather than weird or psychedelic.

Thanks for the recommendations, but not the direction I was looking for. Listen to this song off Primodial Dominion by Skeleton of God, or maybe think of a death metal version of Nachtmystium's more trippy records (though preferably a bit more 'death' than Nachtmystium is 'black' if that makes sense).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvG-PavFoLk

Well damn, I'm going through all the weirdest death metal bands I know, and I can't think of anything that completely fills what you're looking for. You may be dealing with a one-of-a-kind band.

I can maybe suggest Lykathea Aflame, but you've probably been rec'ed them before. They're certainly weird death metal. It's not as chaotic as that Skeleton of God track, but it's in a similar direction. They have pretty psychedelic breaks, kind of like the middle of that track you posted.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:06 pm 

Have you by any chance listened to Sweven by Morbus Chron? The little I heard of it would apparently fit your request, but this may be a misfire on my side. :D

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:27 pm 

androdion wrote:
Have you by any chance listened to Sweven by Morbus Chron? The little I heard of it would apparently fit your request, but this may be a misfire on my side. :D

Actually, seconding this. They're a little more on the proggy side, but that psychedelic rock influence is definitely there.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:42 pm 

How about Pan.Thy.Monium? Pretty weird and has a psychedelic vibe

Another Typical Metal Newbie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:32 pm 

Could you guys please recommend me some good thrashed death metal bands? Like Eyeconoclast.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:18 am 

Pan.Thy.Monium was pretty cool, a bit too melodic for my taste, but I'm definitely giving them a go, listening to Khaooosh & Kon-Fus-Ion right now.

Sweven is interesting, but not very good, I think. I listened to it a few times when it was released and while it is definitely cooler than their first record, it just doesnt' really have an impact and kinda just lightly goes round in circles... And I always hated the vocals in Morbus Chron. I know Elvenefris, but for some reason it never clicked right with me.

Thanks for the effort guys, but still a bit hit n miss. I'm wondering if there just aren't many psychedelic death metal bands out there (there are lots of experimental stuff, but that's not really the same I feel).

EDIT: 1) My request was in part prompted by this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105406 where people discusses/recommends psychedelic doom metal, and there are soo many bands, and then I realized there aren't a corresponding scene or whatever in death metal, though there are a lot of experimental death bands.

2) In the 'similar artist' on Skeleton of God's page I found Undertaker and their demo Necro Thievery which is on youtube and pretty cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN1xGHijeQ8 Just three songs though. I guess there's also Acid Witch who're kinda cool but too simplish (and gimmicky!).

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:51 am 

There was this band a friend showed me a while back, whose name was something similar to "Apocryph" or whatever, can't really remember the name, that released an EP on Bandcamp. Kind of a mix of death/black and psychedelic elements. I think it was either from 2012 or 2013, and the cover art was all black with that masonry triangle with the eye and some tentacles or some shit like that. It was all in shades of grey on top of the black background. Maybe someone knows what I'm talking about here.

Anders, I'll tell you that I've never come across with something that similar to Skeleton Of God, but then again they're a very peculiar band. There's this album and this album, which are very weird and may have some interest, but I personally don't think very highly of them. Some people love them though. Oh, try this one as well, same as the prior two.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:03 am 

Another Typical Metal Newbie wrote:
Could you guys please recommend me some good thrashed death metal bands? Like Eyeconoclast.

Check out earlier Deathchain material: Deadmeat Disciples - Deathrash Assault.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:54 pm 

androdion wrote:
There was this band a friend showed me a while back, whose name was something similar to "Apocryph" or whatever, can't really remember the name, that released an EP on Bandcamp. Kind of a mix of death/black and psychedelic elements. I think it was either from 2012 or 2013, and the cover art was all black with that masonry triangle with the eye and some tentacles or some shit like that. It was all in shades of grey on top of the black background. Maybe someone knows what I'm talking about here.

I hope someone can help with this! I'm very interested..

androdion wrote:
Anders, I'll tell you that I've never come across with something that similar to Skeleton Of God, but then again they're a very peculiar band. There's this album and this album, which are very weird and may have some interest, but I personally don't think very highly of them. Some people love them though. Oh, try this one as well, same as the prior two.

These are indeed pretty bad! Shit, it seems there's not much luck here. I need to get a hold of Skeleton of God's first album too since they're apparently one of a kind. Too bad.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217 ... 290  Next