Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:58 am 

Sure, no problem! I just thought of Authorize, too. That I reviewed so you can check that out (if you don't know them already I mean).

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:59 am 

colin040 wrote:
Can anyone recommand me jazzy / progressive death metal?

I would love to hear more bands that aren't too much ''death metal ish'' , but pretty relaxing, yet heavy.

Something in the veins of: Individual thought patterns by Death,
Piece of time by Atheist,
Testimony of the ancients by Pestilence, or Focus by Cynic.

Thanks in advance!

You might like Sadist. I think their first album is their best, but it's also the most strictly death metal oriented. Still quite progressive though. It's the only one of their albums that has decent vocals, in my opinion .. they kind of ruin the experience for me on "Crust" and "Tribe", and there are a lot of bizarre moments that make me laugh or scratch my head. Still, this type of metal isn't always my cup of tea and I know they have a lot of fans, so you should investigate them. The album "Lego" is basically nu-metal, though, so you might want to leave that one for last if you bother with it at all.

Hieronymuss Boschh are also pretty interesting, especially on their second album. Read Olympic SHarpshooter's review. There's definitely much reason to compare them with the latter part of Death's career.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:01 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Sure, no problem! I just thought of Authorize, too. That I reviewed so you can check that out (if you don't know them already I mean).

Ah yes, I do know them; the "Source of Dominion" album is something I checked out recently and I enjoy the hell out of it.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:02 pm 

Ok, good to hear. If any more come to mind I'll be sure to post them. OH yeah I just thought of Purtenance (which I also reviewed) but they are a bit doom/death. Still, worth looking into.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:21 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
colin040 wrote:
Can anyone recommand me jazzy / progressive death metal?

I would love to hear more bands that aren't too much ''death metal ish'' , but pretty relaxing, yet heavy.

Something in the veins of: Individual thought patterns by Death,
Piece of time by Atheist,
Testimony of the ancients by Pestilence, or Focus by Cynic.

Thanks in advance!

You might like Sadist. I think their first album is their best, but it's also the most strictly death metal oriented. Still quite progressive though. It's the only one of their albums that has decent vocals, in my opinion .. they kind of ruin the experience for me on "Crust" and "Tribe", and there are a lot of bizarre moments that make me laugh or scratch my head. Still, this type of metal isn't always my cup of tea and I know they have a lot of fans, so you should investigate them. The album "Lego" is basically nu-metal, though, so you might want to leave that one for last if you bother with it at all.

Hieronymuss Boschh are also pretty interesting, especially on their second album. Read Olympic SHarpshooter's review. There's definitely much reason to compare them with the latter part of Death's career.

I've got Sadist's first album ''Above the light'' will check their later albums too though.

And i will check Hieronymuss Boschh out, thanks! :)

Instrumental Hieronymuss Boschh is an very good band, however; i don't think those vocals fit in there.

Last edited by colin040 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:27 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
rexxz wrote:

Ah yes, I do know them; the "Source of Dominion" album is something I checked out recently and I enjoy the hell out of it.

Try Sororicide from Iceland. Its good stuff and their style reminds me a lot of the bands you requested. Purtenance, similiar to Authorize except dirtier, is also great.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:08 pm 

Old school death metal fans!

I've never been able to get into the band Autopsy. I know this is probably disgraceful to some, but hear me out. I have 'Acts of the Unspeakable' and it's OK but I can't really get into it, maybe because of the muddy production. Is that the wrong album? Should I get one of their others? I feel as though I should like them!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:10 pm 

Get the remaster!

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:14 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Get the remaster!

:lol: I might do, but are the others any better?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:16 pm 

Yeah, the first three albums I own, they are all very good.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:16 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Yeah, the first three albums I own, they are all very good.

OK :thumbsup:

Khomaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:23 pm 

Someone mentioned there were some polls mentioning the best albums of each subgenres, definitely want to check out the DM one.

Can someone provide a link for me?

The search function sort of sucks.

Thanks.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:25 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=31207

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:36 pm 

anyone know any good greek DM bands?

i listen to Septicflesh for my greek DM.

aces_high
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:45 pm 

foz45139 wrote:
I've never been able to get into the band Autopsy. I know this is probably disgraceful to some, but hear me out. I have 'Acts of the Unspeakable' and it's OK but I can't really get into it, maybe because of the muddy production. Is that the wrong album? Should I get one of their others? I feel as though I should like them!

Acts was a good album, but Severed Survival and Mental Funeral are immortal classics. They were a prototype of the Swedish DM sound, even though they were from the US. You'll see why Autopsy is considered legendary when you hear those 2 albums.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:45 pm 

aces_high wrote:
foz45139 wrote:

Acts was a good album, but Severed Survival and Mental Funeral are immortal classics. They were a prototype of the Swedish DM sound, even though they were from the US. You'll see why Autopsy is considered legendary when you hear those 2 albums.

That's because the US invented ALLLLLLL forms of death metal! You'll learn this!

Khomaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:52 pm 

rexxz wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=31207

thanks

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:57 pm 

I was wandering, could someone recommend me bands that are "brutal death metal" and "slam death metal". A relative of mine has been going head-over heels since I showed him Immolation and Aborted, and says that he like these two sub-genres better than normal, melodic and technical DM. Now, I really want to know, is there a valid justification for these two sub-genres, and if there is, some recs would definitely be appreciated, as I'm not a huge DM fan. Thanks in advance.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:02 pm 

666head wrote:
I was wandering, could someone recommend me bands that are "brutal death metal" and "slam death metal".

Hmmm. You could try Origin and early Emeth for brutal death. Scrambled Defuncts is excellent, as well, if you can get a copy of it. Odious Mortem may fit, too.

For slam death, not sure. Isn't Dying Fetus slam death? And Waking The Cadaver (although they're horrible). Both bands aren't that great.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:17 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
666head wrote:
I was wandering, could someone recommend me bands that are "brutal death metal" and "slam death metal".

Hmmm. You could try Origin and early Emeth for brutal death. Scrambled Defuncts is excellent, as well, if you can get a copy of it. Odious Mortem may fit, too.

For slam death, not sure. Isn't Dying Fetus slam death? And Waking The Cadaver (although they're horrible). Both bands aren't that great.

Thanks, I have some Emeth releases, so I'll check those out. Origin and Scrambled Defuncts sounds interesting, as does Odious Mortem.

But, ain't Dying Fetus death/grind/hardcore punk? Or thats what their MA page says. And I'm pretty damn sure Waking the Cadaver are deathcore, but they ain't THAT bad.

Love the brutal death metal recs though, like I said, will definitely check them out, especially Scrambled Defuncts, they sound interesting.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:25 pm 

666head wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
666head wrote:

Thanks, I have some Emeth releases, so I'll check those out. Origin and Scrambled Defuncts sounds interesting, as does Odious Mortem.

But, ain't Dying Fetus death/grind/hardcore punk? Or thats what their MA page says. And I'm pretty damn sure Waking the Cadaver are deathcore, but they ain't THAT bad.

Love the brutal death metal recs though, like I said, will definitely check them out, especially Scrambled Defuncts, they sound interesting.

I'm sure someone said that Dying Fetus was slam death, but eh...they're mediocre at best. And Waking The Cadaver are not that bad? Heh, you're in the minority. :P

Yeah, Scrambled Defuncts are good. Their second album is where it's at. Buy it just for the drumming, dude, as I have never heard such tight, technical drumming quite like it before. Excellent album all-round, though.

EDIT: For the Emeth releases, I was mainly thinking of their first two, Insidious and Reticulated.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:47 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
666head wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
666head wrote:

I'm sure someone said that Dying Fetus was slam death, but eh...they're mediocre at best. And Waking The Cadaver are not that bad? Heh, you're in the minority. :P

Yeah, Scrambled Defuncts are good. Their second album is where it's at. Buy it just for the drumming, dude, as I have never heard such tight, technical drumming quite like it before. Excellent album all-round, though.

EDIT: For the Emeth releases, I was mainly thinking of their first two, Insidious and Reticulated.

First two releases huh, well, might as well hunt down the first one.

And what I said about Waking the Cadaver, what I meant to say was that I felt people exagerate a little, of course they suck, their vocalist is really a pig with a human name, and their album is just pretty much 11 breakdowns with some riffs. Ok, so maybe I was the one exaggerating :scratch:

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:37 am 

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some melodic-death metal that's relentless and intense. I'm talking about riffs that stick in your head and make you feel as if you're being uplifted, or even melodic riffs that create an atmosphere upon itself, yet doesn't have that weak, un-extreme sound (I'm looking at you, Gothenburg).

For instance, Insomnium's "Mortal Share" has a 2 awesome sounding, catchy riffs, yet the drumming (a big part of DM to me) is weak and uninspired, and the vocals don't sound intense at all (gothenburg-esque growl). Kalmah would be good except, again, for the non-intense drumming and chugga-chugga rhythmn riffs, and I really just don't like his vocal style.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:54 am 

VaeFUCKINGVictus wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some melodic-death metal that's relentless and intense. I'm talking about riffs that stick in your head and make you feel as if you're being uplifted, or even melodic riffs that create an atmosphere upon itself, yet doesn't have that weak, un-extreme sound (I'm looking at you, Gothenburg).

For instance, Insomnium's "Mortal Share" has a 2 awesome sounding, catchy riffs, yet the drumming (a big part of DM to me) is weak and uninspired, and the vocals don't sound intense at all (gothenburg-esque growl). Kalmah would be good except, again, for the non-intense drumming and chugga-chugga rhythmn riffs, and I really just don't like his vocal style.

Carcass?

Darkside (the ones from Austria) might suit your liking I guess.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:15 am 

Try Apophis. Egyptian-themed melodic death metal.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Psycrypt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:55 am 

I don't know if I should post again or not...

Anyway, I'm looking for something with amazing, varied EXTREME vocals , with sub-par production, and good, intricate, audible bass. I'll prefer tremolo-picked, minor-key guitar riffs, solos can be there, I don't really care. Drums, doesn't matter. It'll be good if they are good, but they aren't a necessity.

Bands sort of like old school Cryptopsy (meaning Lord Worm era), Blasphemy, Berherit, Mutiilation, Kataklysm when they had Sylvain Houde, even Mayhem's Dead Era, good, crazy vocals!

I hope that was clear. It can Thrash, Death, Black, doesn't matter. But preferably Death/Black, in the vein of Blasphemy, as stated.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:59 am 

You'll have a hard time finding a more vocalwise extreme band than Belketre. Totally raw (it's LLN), and excellent riffs, too.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Psycrypt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:06 am 

Yes, Belketre is good! I guess I neglected to put them on there...
But yeah, still... recs... sorry if I sound like an asshole.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:30 am 

If you like Blasphemy and extreme/unique vocals, you absolutely MUST check out Beherit. That is, unless you're already well aware of them. Oh well, I can never rec Beherit enough.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:33 am 

invoked wrote:
If you like Blasphemy and extreme/unique vocals, you absolutely MUST check out Beherit. That is, unless you're already well aware of them. Oh well, I can never rec Beherit enough.

He mentioned Beherit himself.

Psycrypt wrote:
sorry if I sound like an asshole.

You don't. At all. So don't worry.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:39 am 

Kruel wrote:
invoked wrote:

Well....uhhh.....he spelled it wrong. Anyway, I must point to Infester and Thou Shalt Suffer for having some of the most inhuman vocals I've ever heard in death metal. And of course the mighty Deathcult for Eternity, which has plenty of flaws that only make it more endearing.

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:55 am 

I didn't follow this thread so sorry if this been asked before.

I'm looking for some more death/doom. Right now my favorite record is Katatonia's Brave Murder Day. Great aspects about this album, compared to most other death/doom albums are the standard-tuned guitars and the little up-beat'ness. I'm not looking for really slow or really heavy, downtuned stuff (Desire, Anathema for example). I know those aspects are usually important for death/doom, but I don't really like that.
Other stuff I enjoy are early Paradise Lost and early Amorphis (not very doomish, but more as an indication).

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:23 pm 

DawnOfEternity wrote:
I didn't follow this thread so sorry if this been asked before.

I'm looking for some more death/doom. Right now my favorite record is Katatonia's Brave Murder Day. Great aspects about this album, compared to most other death/doom albums are the standard-tuned guitars and the little up-beat'ness. I'm not looking for really slow or really heavy, downtuned stuff (Desire, Anathema for example). I know those aspects are usually important for death/doom, but I don't really like that.
Other stuff I enjoy are early Paradise Lost and early Amorphis (not very doomish, but more as an indication).

Get katatonia's Dance of december souls! MUCH better than Brave murder day, and one of my favourite death/doom albums along with Paradise lost's Gothic and My dying bride's as the flowers withers.

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:25 pm 

Already got that one, but I prefer Brave Murder Day. BMD has a thicker production that really works with the music and I just love Mikael's voice. I also really like it that they threw an outstanding, post-punkish song in the album.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:50 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Try Apophis. Egyptian-themed melodic death metal.

Also The Chasm might fit what you are looking for. THeir music is extremely melodic, often thrashy, and the two guitarists work beautifully together. I'd compare them to bands like Dissection and Sacramentum, only The Chasm are more intense than both of them and possess more of a death metal feeling. You won't be disappointed in the drummer's performance, either.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:03 pm 

DawnOfEternity wrote:
Already got that one, but I prefer Brave Murder Day. BMD has a thicker production that really works with the music and I just love Mikael's voice. I also really like it that they threw an outstanding, post-punkish song in the album.

Ah ok, but check Gothic by Paradise lost and As the flowers withers by My dying bride out too, you won't be dissapointed!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:06 pm 

colin040 wrote:
DawnOfEternity wrote:

Ah ok, but check Gothic by Paradise lost and As the flowers withers by My dying bride out too, you won't be dissapointed!

It's my interpretation that this is precisely teh kind of doomdeath he doesn't want.

Dawn, maybe try some of the heavily katatonia-influenced bands like Slumber, Daylight Dies, Rapture ... this is not stuff I listen to much so I might be off the mark with some of these bands. Perhaps Novembre might appeal to you too .. they're quite soft though and use clean vocals most of the time if I recall correctly. Try Forest of Shadows as well .. a bit slow but definitely a BMD influence there. Also, it's black metal, but Abyssic Hate's "Suicidal Emotions" calls "Brave Murder Day" to my mind quite a lot due to the somewhat similar guitar styles, though I think the song structures may not appeal to you as much.

Psycrypt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:33 pm 

Kruel wrote:
invoked wrote:

Psycrypt wrote:
sorry if I sound like an asshole.

You don't. At all. So don't worry.

Man, Kruel, you are one cool motherfucker. Can we be friends?

I'm downloading "To The Depths... In Degradation" by Infester, it seems promising. MegaUpload's description of it is "NAZI SATAN ASS-BURGLE METAL". I'll like it quite a bit, then...

Oh, for anyone that likes old school Death Metal, check out Decrepitaph, from Texas. They're really good, anyone who likes stuff like Incantation and the like should check them out.

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:57 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
colin040 wrote:
DawnOfEternity wrote:

It's my interpretation that this is precisely teh kind of doomdeath he doesn't want.

Dawn, maybe try some of the heavily katatonia-influenced bands like Slumber, Daylight Dies, Rapture ... this is not stuff I listen to much so I might be off the mark with some of these bands. Perhaps Novembre might appeal to you too .. they're quite soft though and use clean vocals most of the time if I recall correctly. Try Forest of Shadows as well .. a bit slow but definitely a BMD influence there. Also, it's black metal, but Abyssic Hate's "Suicidal Emotions" calls "Brave Murder Day" to my mind quite a lot due to the somewhat similar guitar styles, though I think the song structures may not appeal to you as much.

I do quite like Paradise Lost, I've yet to give MDB a listen, but according to my memory I hate them.

I know Slumber, and haven't listened to them for ages. I downloaded them when I wasn't much into doom/death. I like Abyssic Hate a lot, since DBM is probably my favorite genre. I'll check out the other bands, thanks. :)

fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:08 am 

Does anyone have some recommendations of similar (or just as good) band as Cartilage of Finland especially music in the vein of their split with Altar?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 289  Next