Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:58 am 

I'm very impressed by this band, it is technical death metal I think.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album ... symposium/

I'm listening to a lot of tech death these days. I was listening to melo death as a way to take a break from tech death. Some of the bands I am listening to include

Decrepit Birth
Demilich
Spawn Of Possession
Decapitated
Obscura
Suffocation
Deeds of Flesh

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:07 am 

Xymosys wrote:
Burden Of Grief
Mourning Caress
Dispatched
Gardenian
Kalmah

just to name a few

Only heard Kalmah and Burden OF Grief so far and both are really cool. Kalmah is better IMO.

disgorgehr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:43 pm 

Hey guys, I can't remember the name of a death metal band that has massive sound, brutal and tech killer riffs but with a intense heavy/power/thrash metal like vocals. That album is just fantastic. I wanted to recomend it to a friend but can't remember the name. It wasn't Control Denied. It was more like Morbid Angel Gateways riffing. It's unreal. Can't remember how the artwork looked like. Cheers \m/

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:21 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Can someone recommend some good solid melo death that you can start with?

I know that I'm in the minority on this one (for some reason), but I feel like melodeath should sound like melodic DEATH METAL. Lots of what gets the genre tag is more like power/groove metal with harsh vocals, no death metal riffs. As such, I would suggest Crown of Thorns, mid-period Centinex, Cenotaph (Riding Our Black Oceans), Sentenced (North From Here), Garden of Shadows, At the Gates (first two albums), Darkane, Arghoslent, Unanimated, etc...

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:52 pm 

disgorgehr wrote:
Hey guys, I can't remember the name of a death metal band that has massive sound, brutal and tech killer riffs but with a intense heavy/power/thrash metal like vocals. That album is just fantastic. I wanted to recomend it to a friend but can't remember the name. It wasn't Control Denied. It was more like Morbid Angel Gateways riffing. It's unreal. Can't remember how the artwork looked like. Cheers \m/

Satan's Host, maybe?

disgorgehr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:45 pm 

@DeathfareDevil, no. That band had much newer sound production and is more death metal orientated.

I think I should've asked: what's the most brutal metal band with clean vocals?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:47 pm 

Desultor

disgorgehr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:15 am 

@Opus, exactly! Thank you. Cheers \m/

PS: it's a shame the lyrics aren't that much cool as the music..

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:00 pm 

disgorgehr wrote:
@DeathfareDevil, no. That band had much newer sound production and is more death metal orientated.

I think I should've asked: what's the most brutal metal band with clean vocals?

Probably Blood Revolt.

https://youtu.be/pQCF8mbQer4

Flowersofevil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:54 pm 

Recently been spinning these lately! Highly recommend
Necrot-“blood offerings”
Nocturnal Blood- “Devastated Graves”
Gorelust-“Reign Of Lunacy”
Triumvir Foul-“Spiritual Bloodshed”
Phrenelith-“Desolate Endscape”
Nihilist- “Nihilist”
Bone Sickness-“Alone in the Grave”
Crematory-“Denial EP”

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:14 am 

jaykeisstrange wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Can someone recommend some good solid melo death that you can start with?

I know that I'm in the minority on this one (for some reason), but I feel like melodeath should sound like melodic DEATH METAL. Lots of what gets the genre tag is more like power/groove metal with harsh vocals, no death metal riffs. As such, I would suggest Crown of Thorns, mid-period Centinex, Cenotaph (Riding Our Black Oceans), Sentenced (North From Here), Garden of Shadows, At the Gates (first two albums), Darkane, Arghoslent, Unanimated, etc...

Always hated "melodeath" for exactly what you're talking about; with 90% of it, there's musically no similarities with death metal deeper than harsh vocals, it's usually just Iced Earth with bland death growls. Some that I am a fan of include:

The Chasm
Scum (SWE)
Intestine Baalism
Gates of Ishtar
Lykathea Aflame
Vehemence
Quo Vadis

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:19 pm 

blarg223 wrote:
jaykeisstrange wrote:

Always hated "melodeath" for exactly what you're talking about; with 90% of it, there's musically no similarities with death metal deeper than harsh vocals, it's usually just Iced Earth with bland death growls. Some that I am a fan of include:

The Chasm
Scum (SWE)
Intestine Baalism
Gates of Ishtar
Lykathea Aflame
Vehemence
Quo Vadis

I've heard most of those, and they're exactly what I'm into in terms of melodic death metal. I'll have to give the others a listen.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:56 am 

I'm kind of listening over and over to Demilich these days.

1)Anyone can recommend late 2000 or early 2010s bands that are inspired by them or sound like them?

Also,

2)Any cool tech death suggestions would be good as well. I like Obscura,Spawn of Possession,Deeds of Flesh,Decrepit Birth,Beyond Creation etc.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:13 am 

1. Demilich-esque bands:

Cosmic Atrophy
Chthe'ilist
Timeghoul
Nauseant
Exlimitir
Blood Incantation
Biolich (especially the first demo)
Zealotry
Artificial Brain
Nucleus
Garroted

2. Cool tech death

Viraemia
Malignancy
Deadborn
Desecravity
Vuvr
Lost Soul
Martyr
Nefas
Neuraxis
Odious Mortem
Oppressor
Pillory
Thaetas
Yattering

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:32 am 

Great and useful list. I liked Nucleus and Blood Incantation in particular.

Look forward to more stuff.

bensabre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:51 pm 

Hey looking for some good Brutal/Technical Death Metal without triggered drums.
Thanks!

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:46 pm 

bensabre wrote:
Hey looking for some good Brutal/Technical Death Metal without triggered drums.
Thanks!

Without triggered drums is EXTREMELY rare. Almost every brutal death metal band on earth triggers their kicks, even moreso with technical death metal. A couple that spring to mind that don't use any triggers at all would be Ecchymosis or Medecophobic (lyrics book even says "no triggers, vocal effects, or lyrics were used on this album" hahaha), or other bands that really focus on the "raw" side of things. Personally I don't mind bands that trigger the kicks, as long as it doesn't sound like a computer, I hate fake, edited drums or triggered snares or what the fuck ever else whack bullshit labels keep shitting out. Can you be a little more specific as to what you're looking for stylistically perhaps?

bensabre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:47 pm 

blarg223 wrote:
Without triggered drums is EXTREMELY rare. Almost every brutal death metal band on earth triggers their kicks, even moreso with technical death metal. A couple that spring to mind that don't use any triggers at all would be Ecchymosis or Medecophobic (lyrics book even says "no triggers, vocal effects, or lyrics were used on this album" hahaha), or other bands that really focus on the "raw" side of things. Personally I don't mind bands that trigger the kicks, as long as it doesn't sound like a computer, I hate fake, edited drums or triggered snares or what the fuck ever else whack bullshit labels keep shitting out. Can you be a little more specific as to what you're looking for stylistically perhaps?

Thanks i'll those two out.
Stylistically i would love to hear something in the vein of old Suffocation but being more than just Suffocation clone.
I'm not too familiar with the genre. I know the big names and love some of them but never gone deep in to the genre.
So open minded to other interesting stuff that don't sound too over produced.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:26 am 

Pretty sure Crimson Thorn didn't use triggers, at least not in the early days. Extreme brutal death metal from Minnesota.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

bensabre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:14 am 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
Pretty sure Crimson Thorn didn't use triggers, at least not in the early days. Extreme brutal death metal from Minnesota.

Thanks! I'll check them out.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:52 am 

Hello! If you can help me i've got a somewhat tricky request: i'm looking for regular death metal (non-bdm) with massive amounts of tremolo picking,
But it shouldn't be the icy/melodic second wave BM inspired one (also bonus points if the music isn't filled with blast beats :) )

I'm familiar with classics and entry level underground, but feel free to suggest anything that fits!

Thanks!

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:19 pm 

I was listening to this:-

and I suddenly realized that I was listening to something very awesome indeed.

Perhaps someone can be good enough to recommend other death metal bands/brutal death metal bands that may be of relevance.

khristian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:59 pm 

I've been listening to some old school death metal stuff this past few weeks. Disincarnate, Morta Skuld, Altar, Baphomet. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:14 pm 

khristian wrote:
I've been listening to some old school death metal stuff this past few weeks. Disincarnate, Morta Skuld, Altar, Baphomet. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Check out Disciples of Power - Ominous Prophecy. Early 1990s death metal, soon to be reissued by Vic Records.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 am 

khristian wrote:

Here's a list of some really great pre-97 bands I think you might dig. No demos-only bands, all of these have at least one full length out. Pretty short list, but some real gems here.

Monstrosity
Necrophagia
Bolt Thrower
Loudblast
Necrosanct
Pungent Stench
Corpus Rottus
Gorefest
Jumpin' Jesus
Lemming Project
Incubator
Purtenance
Sorcery
Therion
Afterlife
Disastrous Murmur
Konkhra
Iniquity
Miasma
Resurrection
Xenomorph
Luciferion
Necrophiliac
Killing Addiction
Paralysis
Rottrevore
Unbounded Terror
Acrostichon
Sarcastic Terror
Demented Ted
Gutted

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:41 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Perhaps someone can be good enough to recommend other death metal bands/brutal death metal bands that may be of relevance.

Lol ironically I'm wearing my Starspawn LS at work while typing this. BI really base a lot of their sound on Timeghoul, so if you haven't check them out for sure. Beyond that, there's been a very slight trend in bands that try to emulate that cosmic, almost ethereal sound, pioneered primarily by Timeghoul and the legendary Demilich, and in smaller part influenced by a lot of the off-kilter riffing of Finnish bands such as Adramelech or Depravity. Any of those would be a good place to start. As for the new wave of this style I mentioned before, check out Nucleus, Zealotry, Cosmic Atrophy, Chthe'ilist, Nauseant, Garroted, Biolich (especially their first demo, SUPER blatant Demilich worship, but it's a lot of fun), Fabricant's first demo, Artificial Brain. BI members also have another band called Spectral Voice you would probably like, though it's much more death/doom than BI.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:38 am 

blarg223 wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Lol ironically I'm wearing my Starspawn LS at work while typing this. BI really base a lot of their sound on Timeghoul, so if you haven't check them out for sure. Beyond that, there's been a very slight trend in bands that try to emulate that cosmic, almost ethereal sound, pioneered primarily by Timeghoul and the legendary Demilich, and in smaller part influenced by a lot of the off-kilter riffing of Finnish bands such as Adramelech or Depravity. Any of those would be a good place to start. As for the new wave of this style I mentioned before, check out Nucleus, Zealotry, Cosmic Atrophy, Chthe'ilist, Nauseant, Garroted, Biolich (especially their first demo, SUPER blatant Demilich worship, but it's a lot of fun), Fabricant's first demo, Artificial Brain. BI members also have another band called Spectral Voice you would probably like, though it's much more death/doom than BI.

blarg223, I was just listening to Morgoth-Cursed and liked that album quite a lot. I mostly like stuff from Century Media Records or Metal Blade Records or Relapse or some other major label. Can you tell me a few other lesser known labels that also carry good music.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:08 pm 

90% of what those labels dump out is utter dogshit, at least these days. Now, I'm only speaking from the perspective of someone who listens to death metal, I cannot vouch for the quality of these labels' other genre releases or anything, but some great, old school death metal oriented labels would be:

*Dark Descent
Profound Lore
Unspeakable Acts
Dark Blasphemies
Chaos Records
Vic Records
Deepsend
Hammerheart
Everlasting Spew
*Memento Mori
*Lavadome
Necroharmonic
Iron Bonehead
Hammerheart
Repulsive Echo
FDA Records

Drowned Productions and Wild Rags are a couple of excellent old school labels that aren't around anymore but basically anything released on those labels will be DM gold. A lot of the above labels also focus primarily on reissues of out of print albums from the past, not so much new releases, just fyi.

A couple of the more brutal death or at least not-so-old-school oriented labels would be:

*Unique Leader (old catalog is amazing, new releases....not so much.)
*New Standard Elite
*Comatose (also a great distro!!)
Sevared (another great distro)
Coyote Records
Gore and Blood Productions
Rising Nemesis
Lacerated Enemy
Ungodly Ruins
Guttural Brutality Productions
Brutal Mind (or really any indonesian label....Dismembered, Rottrevore, etc., but BM is the best distro as well)
Swallow Vomit
*Reality Fade Records
Permeated
CDN Records (another fantastic distro, I paid $150 for over 45 excellent CDs towards the end of last year)
Charred Remains

khristian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 pm 

blarg223 wrote:
khristian wrote:

Here's a list of some really great pre-97 bands I think you might dig. No demos-only bands, all of these have at least one full length out. Pretty short list, but some real gems here.

Monstrosity
Necrophagia
Bolt Thrower
Loudblast
Necrosanct
Pungent Stench
Corpus Rottus
Gorefest
Jumpin' Jesus
Lemming Project
Incubator
Purtenance
Sorcery
Therion
Afterlife
Disastrous Murmur
Konkhra
Iniquity
Miasma
Resurrection
Xenomorph
Luciferion
Necrophiliac
Killing Addiction
Paralysis
Rottrevore
Unbounded Terror
Acrostichon
Sarcastic Terror
Demented Ted
Gutted

Hey man. Thanks a lot!

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:56 am 

What bands/albums are similar to Harmony Corruption/Mass Appeal Madness era Napalm Death?

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:54 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Hello! If you can help me i've got a somewhat tricky request: i'm looking for regular death metal (non-bdm) with massive amounts of tremolo picking,
But it shouldn't be the icy/melodic second wave BM inspired one (also bonus points if the music isn't filled with blast beats :) )

I'm familiar with classics and entry level underground, but feel free to suggest anything that fits!

Thanks!

Is there a particular kind of tremolo-picking you are looking for?

slower-paced songs with tremolo-picking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Z1dv6UntU

Morbid Angel-worship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqIpt14XKE&index=3&list=PLhAgmGVLDF8COJWTbD5Rvhyu-iJZ2WWwZ

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Khthoniik Cerviiks (SeroLogiikal Scars and the songs from the split with Howls of Ebb):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSg6-cOu18Q

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:32 pm 

Villainy is a dutch band and only released two albums. I'm sharing the first one here. I think they have a great sound with thrash and progressive aspects to it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

https://villainyofficial.bandcamp.com/album/villainy-i

Atomization - Spotify

Lordofdarkness310
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:13 am 

Listen to the new track by Infernum Expectat (A melodic death metal band from Egypt), it's called "Her Majesty".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gMod9WsDtg

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:49 pm 

This might be a strange request but I'm wondering if there are any DM groups that have Lemmy style vocals. The reason this comes to mind is because I always thought Jeff Beccera's grunts sounded like Lemmy (particularly on The Eyes of Horror) and I think it's a fitting sound for DM, at least old school DM.

Also I'd appreciate some recommendations for Death Metal (particularly from late 80s/early 90s) with very high thrash influence, and I don't necessarily mean brutal type thrash but more super speedy thrash like Megadeth. Basically something that combines the progginess and melodic solos of Megadeth or similar and the intensity and down-tuning of early DM.

And also if any of you know of any Death Metal bands that could also be considered Crossover Thrash in style, or at least highly Hardcore influenced, I'd absolutely love to hear of it. Not stuff like Deathgrind, I mean something like DRI or Leeway coming together with Death. Thanks.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:44 pm 

Osmiumthemetal wrote:
And also if any of you know of any Death Metal bands that could also be considered Crossover Thrash in style, or at least highly Hardcore influenced, I'd absolutely love to hear of it. Not stuff like Deathgrind, I mean something like DRI or Leeway coming together with Death. Thanks.

Not sure how much this fits the sound you're looking for, but in the wake of NAILS several bands have been combining hardcore with death metal, with varying amounts of one or the other. Examples: Desolated, Spinebreaker, Gatecreeper, Ill Natured, Scorched, Crypt Rot, Homewrecker, Xibalba, and Mammoth Grinder.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:17 am 

Osmiumthemetal wrote:
This might be a strange request but I'm wondering if there are any DM groups that have Lemmy style vocals. The reason this comes to mind is because I always thought Jeff Beccera's grunts sounded like Lemmy (particularly on The Eyes of Horror) and I think it's a fitting sound for DM, at least old school DM.

Also I'd appreciate some recommendations for Death Metal (particularly from late 80s/early 90s) with very high thrash influence, and I don't necessarily mean brutal type thrash but more super speedy thrash like Megadeth. Basically something that combines the progginess and melodic solos of Megadeth or similar and the intensity and down-tuning of early DM.

For the Lemmy vocals, try the first two demos of Pestilence, as well as their first full length album (which might as be something you're after based on your second request.)

As far your second request goes, perhaps Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness which is their thrashiest album. You might also want to give Revenant's Prophecies of a Dying World a try.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:08 am 

Osmiumthemetal wrote:

Crossover influence first thing that springs to my mind is Solstice - Pray for the Sentencing, even features a Carnivore cover.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:09 pm 

"Lemmy styled vocals" - check out Excoriate

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:59 am 

Khthoniik Cerviiks (SeroLogiikal Scars and the songs from the split with Howls of Ebb):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSg6-cOu18Q

Yeah, that's definitely interesting

Sharkxxx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:49 am 

Hey guys.

Can you recomend bands in the line of Melodic Death Metal like Mercenary?

Regards.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265 ... 289  Next