Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:59 am 

The Crazy Old School Music Fan wrote:
I posted this on the death/doom thread as well, seems this thread gets more attention though, so I'll ask here as well...

Quote:
Recently I've been enjoying the first two Obituary albums. Does anybody know any extremely doomy bands in the vein of Obituary? I have already heard Winter (so far the closest thing I've heard to this description), by the way, and I love that band.

Early Obituary styled death metal? Check out Matrydoom - Grievous Pshychosis from Poland. Has a lot of doom-y, crushing groove reminiscent of the first two Obituary albums, with a much darker cant. Has some Celtic Frost vibe going on too, which early Obituary had in spades. Pretty cool stuff.

Betrayed Trust

Drowned in Void

My collection

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:39 pm 

I believe he means Martyrdoom.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:46 pm 

The Crazy Old School Music Fan wrote:
I posted this on the death/doom thread as well, seems this thread gets more attention though, so I'll ask here as well...

Quote:
Recently I've been enjoying the first two Obituary albums. Does anybody know any extremely doomy bands in the vein of Obituary? I have already heard Winter (so far the closest thing I've heard to this description), by the way, and I love that band.

You really need some Sorrow in your life. Along the lines of Winter, and Cianide.

I second the Coffins mention. Buried Death is really good, stenchy groovy death metal.

Decomposed

Decrepitaph, maybe? Not too far off of Coffin's sound.

I also think you will like Asphyx if you haven't heard them. A lot of groove and doom in their sound. This is one of my favorites of theirs.

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:00 pm 

I'm looking for melodic death metal in the vein of Amon Amarth's The Avenger. More specifically, I'm looking for a nice mix of aggressive and epic, with a somewhat raw production and a lot of tremolo picking. The production on The Avenger is about as pretty as I want it to be, but if there's a more polished album that someone thinks I should check out, I'm more than happy to give it a go.

Two final notes:

1. I know almost nothing about melodeath. Aside from all of Amon Amarth's albums and Hypocrisy's Virus, I've heard pretty much nothing from the genre. Nothing is too obvious.

2. Because we're talking about Amon Amarth, and given what they're known for, I should mention that I don't care about lyrical themes.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:42 pm 

Opus wrote:
I believe he means Martyrdoom.

Dammit :durr: yes. Yes I do.

My collection

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:44 pm 

battle_axes wrote:
I'm looking for melodic death metal in the vein of Amon Amarth's The Avenger. More specifically, I'm looking for a nice mix of aggressive and epic, with a somewhat raw production and a lot of tremolo picking. The production on The Avenger is about as pretty as I want it to be, but if there's a more polished album that someone thinks I should check out, I'm more than happy to give it a go.

Two final notes:

1. I know almost nothing about melodeath. Aside from all of Amon Amarth's albums and Hypocrisy's Virus, I've heard pretty much nothing from the genre. Nothing is too obvious.

2. Because we're talking about Amon Amarth, and given what they're known for, I should mention that I don't care about lyrical themes.

Ensiferum

Last FM

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 pm 

Looking for some Amorphisy styled Death metal. Specifically the catchy upbeat style. Something with really upbeat riffs or solos.

The intro riff, and the riff at 0:48

The keyboards at 1:54 and the solo at 3:08 is EXACTLY what I mean

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:16 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
Looking for some Amorphisy styled Death metal. Specifically the catchy upbeat style. Something with really upbeat riffs or solos.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:56 pm 

Drowned wrote:
ChildClownOutlet wrote:

More Swano is always welcomed, didn't like the synths that much but the solo was perfect, thank you.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:09 am 

Gorement's The Ending Quest is exactly what you need - it's closer to Amorphis' debut style though.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:37 am 

colin040 wrote:
Gorement's The Ending Quest is exactly what you need - it's closer to Amorphis' debut style though.

The second song is sort of closer to what I'm looking for, but the first one is a little more melancholic, which is the opposite.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:04 pm 

Maybe this album:

Or this one:

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:24 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Maybe this album:

Or this one:

The second song's intro at the part at around 2:36 are great.

Some more examples of what I'm looking for, the part at 1:51 where the baritone vocals come in and it's just nothing but a soothing melody.

Insomnium really need's to do more of these songs, like they did on Halls of Awaiting.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:28 am 

Some Noumena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIwyVAj6gEo

That song with the baritone vocals reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJzIq1zytLQ

I also really recommend Omnium Gatherum's New World Shadows. It's a somewhat progressive melodic death metal album, with excellent melodies and flawless production and musicianship. You'd most likely enjoy Grey Heavens and The Redshift too, but New World Shadows is the best album in my opinion.

Going way beyond death metal here, but if you really like those wistful Finnish lakeland melodies, listen to some Ghost Brigade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVRifP0S3o4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn2ixHXe4nw

I was also reminded of another song called Aurora that you might enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-SQbmnvBkU

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:52 pm 

That Noumena song is great, I've been listening to them for a short time but from what I heard, they're fantastic. Unfortunately the other songs didn't really fit the melodic/upbeat melodies I was looking for. That Amorphis song I posted was for it's sort of upbeat nature compared to songs such as First Doom or Black Winter Day. I should've posted songs like From Earth I Rose, or Sign for a better example.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:24 am 

I just heard Avulsed's Ritual Zombi and I was blown away. Can anyone suggest more stuff like them?

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:02 am 

How do I get started in the world of non slam brutal DM. I mean I love slam because I generally like slow groovy metal. Bands like origin sound rushed to me. Don't know why.

Which bands should I listen to in Brutal DM to get a general sense of the genre. I have heard Deeds of Flesh(very good), Defeated Sanity(also very good), and a few other bands.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:45 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
How do I get started in the world of non slam brutal DM. I mean I love slam because I generally like slow groovy metal. Bands like origin sound rushed to me. Don't know why.

Which bands should I listen to in Brutal DM to get a general sense of the genre. I have heard Deeds of Flesh(very good), Defeated Sanity(also very good), and a few other bands.

It doesn't get much better than Cryptopsy's None So Vile.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:57 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

It doesn't get much better than Cryptopsy's None So Vile.

Well sure but I already heard that years ago.

Neta00
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:01 pm 

Good albums from this Year?
I did not exactly follow which albums all came out

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:06 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Id suggest having a look at the top of the previous page, myself and Blarg223 gave a ton of suggestions (seriously a ton) for someone who had a similar request, I think they were asking for Deeds of Flesh and Gorgasm type stuff. Oh and if you aint familiar with Gorgasm they would be a great start.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:49 pm 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Id suggest having a look at the top of the previous page, myself and Blarg223 gave a ton of suggestions (seriously a ton) for someone who had a similar request, I think they were asking for Deeds of Flesh and Gorgasm type stuff. Oh and if you aint familiar with Gorgasm they would be a great start.

Hayisforhorses,

Thanks for your reply.
I did check out that page. Several good recs there. I also went to rateyourmusic.com and checked out the brutal death metal charts. Can you suggest some other sources?

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:48 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I did check out that page. Several good recs there. I also went to rateyourmusic.com and checked out the brutal death metal charts. Can you suggest some other sources?

Somewhat related to what's been mentioned already, there's a 400+ page thread of brutal death/slam at the Ultimate Metal forums; it goes back over a decade.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/thre ... al.259055/

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:10 pm 

Seconding the Ultimate Metal BDM thread. I post a lot on that thread (even though it's basically dead now) and the DM thread there, I go by Morguelord on that site. Also, the New Standard Elite forums may be useful to you. Other than that, the main place I go for music is just FB. Follow the right pages, have the right friends and you'll just about every brutal death metal band known to man that's worth a shit.

http://nseforum.boards.net/

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:34 am 

cool. thanks for the tips. I'm on Facebook and the only page I know is death metal addicts and they post a link a month--not enough. so if you know any specific pages please do share with me. i'll check them out.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:32 pm 

I actually run one of my own called Death Metal Dungeon, and I'll link it below. Other than that, there's very, very few good death metal pages out there, the friends you have are really the meat and taters of finding good bands. The other great page I can recommend is Blast Family, which I was an admin of for a brief period, good guys with great taste run that page as well.

https://www.facebook.com/DeathMetalDungeon/

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:33 pm 

The news about Decapitated hit me like a ton of bricks in the past 72 hours.

I know, they're innocent until proven guilty, and I'll continue to listen to them for now, or at least the early 2000s era albums.

However, if they are found guilty, including Vogg (the only member from that era of the band), I don't know if I'd feel comfortable continuing to listen to them.

If it turns out to be true, can anyone suggest some bands very similar to early 2000s era Decapitated that I can turn to as a replacement? It can be as similar to the point of being a clone/rip-off, I don't care. It doesn't matter if they've been around for years (possibly even longer) and have slipped under my radar, or if they're brand new. Just suggest the closest bands possible so I can turn to them if they're indeed guilty.

Even if it does turn out Decapitated are not guilty of a sex crime, I'd still like to check out these bands, considering I am regularly on the hunt for death metal I've never heard before.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:00 am 

cool. that page seems to be regularly updated so that's good.

EDIT: And I also like the music that's on there.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:23 am 

Right now I'm tripping on this:

and this:

I'm slowly getting into BDM

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:58 am 

I'm a bit new to BDM but some of the albums I have heard in the past week are the following:-

Pyaemia-Cerebral Cereal. I would say pretty well rounded death metal. Good drums(for me the drums always clinch the album)
Deeds Of Flesh-Reduced To Ashes. The pick of the lot. Tremendous album. Perfect in every way.
Inveracity-Circle of Perversion and Extermination of Millions-Good. Definitely worth checking out.
Severed Savior-Brutality is the Law-Good album. Solos add a nice dimension to the experience and fairly rythmic as should be.
Disgorge-Consume the Forsaken- Low down brutality. Totally slays.The drumming is excellent and the blast beats really touch my heart lol.
Heard a few others like Hour of Penance, some Suffocation, Guttural Secrete but not enough to comment on it.

Please, if anybody can have some suggestions, let me know.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:25 am 

Those bands you listed basically sum up the early 2000s BDM sound. Others you would probably like include:

Disavowed
Arsebreed
Broken Torso
Suffocate Bastard
Extreme Violence
Abnormal Inhumane
Ossification
Cenotaph
Deepred
Beheaded (early works)
Infliction (TX)
Die (Denmark)
Relics of Humanity
Condemned (check out Realms of the Ungodly for sure!)
Posthumous Blasphemer
Deprecated (original recording of Deriding his Creation, not the re-recorded one)
Internal Suffering

Be sure to check out our lists from previous pages as well, most are at least relatively in this vein. If you like Disgorge, check out the entire country of Indonesia.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:19 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I'm a bit new to BDM but some of the albums I have heard in the past week are the following:-

Pyaemia-Cerebral Cereal. I would say pretty well rounded death metal. Good drums(for me the drums always clinch the album)
Deeds Of Flesh-Reduced To Ashes. The pick of the lot. Tremendous album. Perfect in every way.
Inveracity-Circle of Perversion and Extermination of Millions-Good. Definitely worth checking out.
Severed Savior-Brutality is the Law-Good album. Solos add a nice dimension to the experience and fairly rythmic as should be.
Disgorge-Consume the Forsaken- Low down brutality. Totally slays.The drumming is excellent and the blast beats really touch my heart lol.
Heard a few others like Hour of Penance, some Suffocation, Guttural Secrete but not enough to comment on it.

Please, if anybody can have some suggestions, let me know.

Try these.
Sepsism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76e_vaefz7U

Saprogenic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrdH4MSceL8

Mutilated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v17V__tDn3Y&t=156s

Malignancy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Tw2iuVIK8

Cudnoredje
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:56 pm 

Looking for more HYPERtechnical death metal bands like Spawn Of Possession and Virulent Depravity, even Decrepit Birth (albums like "Diminishing Between Worlds" and "Polarity"). Or like The Crinn if we expand criteria to the mathcore with tech death metal influences.

These are possibly bands that haters may consider as a "wankery", "random notes hitting", "no songwriting ability to make a coherent structure" etc.
Less memorable = better. :)

Please EXCLUDE these bands 'cause I already checked or like them, whether they fit in that category or not:
Gorguts, Necrophagist, Obscura, Hannes Grossmann, Psycroptic, Arkaik, Gorod, Job For a Cowboy, A Loathing Requiem, Archspire, Pillory, Between the Buried and Me, Virvum, Beyond Creation, Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Inanimate Existence, Origin, Nile, Anata, Dasein, Brain Drill, Rivers of Nihil, The Zenith Passage, Posthumous Blasphemer, Dark Matter Secret, Orgone, Dawn of Dementia, Alterbeast, Decapitated, Fleshwrought, Atheist, Myotonia, Psyopus, Ion Dissonance, Spectrum of Delusion, Serdce and many more.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:09 pm 

Cudnoredje wrote:
Looking for more HYPERtechnical death metal bands like Spawn Of Possession and Virulent Depravity, even Decrepit Birth (albums like "Diminishing Between Worlds" and "Polarity"). Or like The Crinn if we expand criteria to the mathcore with tech death metal influences.

These are possibly bands that haters may consider as a "wankery", "random notes hitting", "no songwriting ability to make a coherent structure" etc.

Please EXCLUDE these bands 'cause I already checked or like them, whether they fit in that category or not:
Gorguts, Necrophagist, Obscura, Hannes Grossmann, Psycroptic, Arkaik, Gorod, Job For a Cowboy, A Loathing Requiem, Archspire, Pillory, Between the Buried and Me, Virvum, Beyond Creation, Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Inanimate Existence, Origin, Nile, Anata, Dasein, Brain Drill, Rivers of Nihil, The Zenith Passage, Posthumous Blasphemer, Dark Matter Secret, Orgone, Dawn of Dementia, Alterbeast, Decapitated, Fleshwrought, Atheist, Myotonia, Psyopus, Ion Dissonance, Spectrum of Delusion, Serdce and many more.

Cudnoredje
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:40 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Cudnoredje wrote:

Not bad, this is more technical/brutal than pure tech or prog/tech, but still with lack of originality or at least style variability.
Although, Viraemia sound most promising. It would be awesome to put some melodic parts into all this dissonant sweep picking and slow rolling palm muted sweeping mess. I already checked Odious Mortem, it's ok, but in terms of brutal/technical death, not in hypertechnical sense.
Desecravity almost sounds like Archspire with slower vocals.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:36 pm 

Cudnoredje wrote:
Looking for more HYPERtechnical death metal.

Soreption
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxBBaM7iP_Q

Cudnoredje
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:22 pm 

Opus wrote:
Cudnoredje wrote:
Looking for more HYPERtechnical death metal.

Soreption
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxBBaM7iP_Q

Tried it already. Generic.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:25 am 

For hypertech, give these a shot:
First Fragment - Neoclassical shred within a tdm context, insane musicianship & dynamics all around
Slaughterbox - Tbdm w/ black metal/melodeath influences
Brain Drill - They are pretty fast & that's about it
Obsoletenova - Random tech passages alternated by bdm groove
Gigan - Gorguts tdm with a spacey, psychedelic, Lovecraftian vibe
Coma Cluster Void - Mathcore/noise rock influenced tdm, chaotic time signatures & a general wtf is going on vibe
Encenathrakh - I won't call it hypertech but it's some sort of free form, wall of sound bdm
Ocetoxis - Might be misspelling the name as I came across them an year ago randomly on bandcamp & haven't checked back since, it's instrumental jarring tdm w/ a drum machine
DeathFuckingCunt - Since you mentioned Viraemia, although I do hear some Cryptopsy here as well
Inferi - Black Dahlia Murder goes tech death

Cudnoredje
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:50 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
For hypertech, give these a shot:
First Fragment - Neoclassical shred within a tdm context, insane musicianship & dynamics all around
Slaughterbox - Tbdm w/ black metal/melodeath influences
Brain Drill - They are pretty fast & that's about it
Obsoletenova - Random tech passages alternated by bdm groove
Gigan - Gorguts tdm with a spacey, psychedelic, Lovecraftian vibe
Coma Cluster Void - Mathcore/noise rock influenced tdm, chaotic time signatures & a general wtf is going on vibe
Encenathrakh - I won't call it hypertech but it's some sort of free form, wall of sound bdm
Ocetoxis - Might be misspelling the name as I came across them an year ago randomly on bandcamp & haven't checked back since, it's instrumental jarring tdm w/ a drum machine
DeathFuckingCunt - Since you mentioned Viraemia, although I do hear some Cryptopsy here as well
Inferi - Black Dahlia Murder goes tech death

Thanx. I already checked First Fragment (generic), Brain Drill (generic) and Inferi (interesting, Enfold Darkness and Vale Of Pnath related).

First impressions about the others:
Slaughterbox - promising (insane guitarwork), but overproduced drum-machine-wannabe drums may be potentially irritating.
Obsoletenova - promising, but potentially more brutal than tech.
Gigan - need to be listened completely to get into the vibe. at the first, it sounds like Ulcerate (too much noise wall), but I feel there's something more to explore.
Encenathrakh - not for me. just a monolithic wall of endless noise. nothing's really happening.
Coma Cluster Void - worth trying, but potentially boring (dissonance, odd time signatures and nothing else). for me, the example of excellent mathcore/noise with tech death metal influences is The Rivalry "No Face For the Mentor" (Adelaide, Australia).
"Ocetoxis" - no search results.
DeathFuckingCunt - sounds ok, but still more brutal than tech.

I'm ready for more. :)

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:18 pm 

Found the band: Octexosis

For melotech try these (disclaimer: some may contain core influence)
Quo Vadis
Arsis
Atlantis Chronicles
Aletheian
Exmortus
Allegaeon
Bloodshot Dawn
Wretched
Plaguebringer
Sentient Ignition

Other crazy shit you might like:
NYN (the latest album): Ridiculous non-stop wankery
The Ritual Aura: Don't remember much, but it was alright
Destroying the Devoid: Kitchen sink prog death
A Million Dead Birds Laughing - Tech deathgrind w/ some weird ritualistic stuff

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262 ... 289  Next