Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:55 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I'm looking for something on the slower side of death metal. Something like Hooded Menace or Asphyx.

Divine Eve

You also requested slow Incantation-esque stuff before, you might like this:
Immortal Fate

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:36 am 

Looking for death/groove rhythmic riff-after-riff like the following. Can have vocals.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:38 pm 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I'm looking for something on the slower side of death metal. Something like Hooded Menace or Asphyx.

Divine Eve

You also requested slow Incantation-esque stuff before, you might like this:
Immortal Fate

Thanks good recs.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:03 pm 

What are some good slam death metal bands to start with. I really like Cephalotripsy and Short Bus Pileup but have been unable to tolerate many other bands.

What is good to get into the genre with?

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:19 pm 

Devourment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63QIFZ46LQY

Defeated Sanity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o08hkXYQkdA

7.H. Target
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71uNeZPvZUI

Extermination Dismemberment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYA0VaW9vY

Kraanium (RIP Martin Fundered)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ht1bXWpKAU

For a more modern, crisp sound:

Ingested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3-37QScS6Y

Abominable Putridity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JYFgoaEeaQ&t=1236s

Vulvodynia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DfrRNZp2Ag

Analepsy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQPN3cA7tgU&t=1188s

Dehumanzing Itarian Worship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XTI3hIGCTk

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:01 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Anatomia: Their first album is quality Autopsy worship and the second is more unique with greater emphasis on atmosphere.

Cianide: Their first two are some of the slowest albums in old school death metal, rarely moving faster than a zombified lurch.

Coffins: Another relentlessly slow band. Grimy and raw. Personally gravitate to Buried Death for its nods to Celtic Frost. Their cover of Venom's "Warhead" is legit. (This is one of their faster tracks.)

Visceral Evisceration: Really fucking weird doom metal with death growls, goregrind lyrics and operatic clean vocals.

Depravity: For the slower style of death metal, Finland was king. Convulse also deliver, though you're safe with any of the big names of the Finnish scene.

Sorrow: Too bad they only ever released one LP. Worth seeking out (and I think the reissue is still readily available). Also notable for socially conscious lyrics.

Pungent Stench: Want something more mid-paced? Then let PS show you the proper way to groove.

Abscess: The punk elements get the most attention, but these guys could still play doom (and often alternated between the two within the same song).

Transgressor: Not consistently slow, but this song alone makes them worth checking out.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:58 am 

IamDBR wrote:

Thanks for the slams. I have so far heard only Ingested. Vulvodynia seemed to be good when I heard on youtube. Will check out the rest too.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:25 am 

Hi all!
I'm looking for death metal massively influenced by the most aggressive thrash (Slayer, early Kreator and the likes)

The year of relase is not important, but I'm looking specifically for less known records

Thank you in advance! :)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:58 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I'm looking for something on the slower side of death metal. Something like Hooded Menace or Asphyx

Something different from the stuff already recommended, most slower death metal is very "European style" death metal, this band is very "American style" death metal played at mid-to-slow paces:

In its bad moments sometimes reminds me of Six Feet Under, but in the (more frequent) good moments it's like a 50-50 cross of classic Tampa DM and NYDM played slow.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:50 am 

I am listening to Cephalotripsy's Uterovaginal Insertion of Extirpated Anomalies and I am amazed at the level of perfection these guys have attained.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:45 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Hi all!
I'm looking for death metal massively influenced by the most aggressive thrash (Slayer, early Kreator and the likes)

The year of relase is not important, but I'm looking specifically for less known records

Betrayer - Necronomical Exmortis demo. The Calamity album is good but more of a Deicide/MA rip off.

You are probably familiar with Mortem, Incubus, Undercroft, Mortuary and the old Cogumelo records stuff, but you would likely find similar lesser known stuff in the early central/south american death metal scene.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:57 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Hi all!

Oh standard recommendation for such requests:

Protector - A Shedding of Skin

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:53 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Hi all!

These should get you started. Slaughterer, and Ripper are two of the more recent bands that are at the top of the death/thrash scene today for me, and Ripper released one album a decade ago, and called it quits, but it was really good. The others are more oldschool.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:08 am 

Wow, thanks a lot guys! :)
I'm familiar with a good number of the bands mentioned, but there are others i've never even heard of! I'll start to listen

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:58 am 

Hello and good day to all my friends and foes here.

What would be a great death metal band that uses a lot of guitar solos to construct/convey their musical ideas.

One example would be Autopsy or Death. Are there many others out there like this.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:25 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

What would be a great death metal band that uses a lot of guitar solos to construct/convey their musical ideas.

One example would be Autopsy or Death. Are there many others out there like this.

Necrophagist are probably the most well known and one of the more gratuitous solo heavy acts, but despite this they do generally compliment the songwriting.

Cant go wrong with some of the classic acts Morbid Angel are an obvious one, Trey's leads are excellent and complimentary to their songs, same can be said for Bob Vigna of Immolation. Suffocation have always had great lead work as well and Cryptopsy (paticularly with Jon Levasseur) Nocturnus as well.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:09 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

I've got the idea Intestine Baalism work that way.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:59 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Man Must Die - Peace Was Never An Option/No Tolerance For Imperfection

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:55 am 

Just throwing another rec out there to no one in particular.

Cruciamentum - Charnel Passages

For people who like their metal slow and grindy. The drums are fairly well architected and the guitars have no real flaws. The artwork resembles those of slam death metal genre but apparently it is just death metal.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:27 am 

^^great album, I really hope them and Funebrarum are able to put out another record.

Any recommendations for progressive death similar to Edge of Sanity - Crimson? Something that's relatively oldschool with the death metal parts, but with a really unique and memorable melodic twist to them. Crimson runs the gamut from catchy swedish melodeath to heavier DM to that doom riff, even a fucking slam in there at some point. The rock/goth parts are great too but I feel like that's just cause Swano excels at them, coulda turned out a lot worse in someone else's hands. Obviously the first few Opeth albums hit the mark too, lots of great midpaced swedeath riffs (but my request is not for explicity swedish-type DM)

Witherscape is good-ish but doesn't really cut it. Hated Phlebotomized.

EDIT: perhaps what I'm really looking for is more like "gothic death metal"? Maybe something like doom/death with sexy, deep clean vocals that still know how to throw in a blastbeat and brutal riffage to offset the melodic parts?
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Last edited by flexodus on Sun May 14, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:27 am 

Anyone here a fan of Sweden's Expulsion? I've checked their demo compilation stuff yesterday and so far it's pretty cool stuff with riffs ranging from a more crawling doom manner to more energetic thrashing, ghoulish vocals and some occult-alike atmosphere closer to say, Tiamat's debut than the more usual Swedish death metal bands.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:52 pm 

I like ^

so is deathgaze a thing

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:12 pm 

The new album from these guys has leaked. For fans of Teitanblood. :)

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:22 am 

Anyone know Autopsy-like OSDM with a super dense, murky production and a band which sound as though they're on acid like The Ravenous? I know Morbus Chron, Murder Squad, Abscess and most of the other well-known Autopsy-like bands but they're not really like The Ravenous in the sense that their productions are still a little too clean and they're not nearly as chaotic.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:51 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Anyone know Autopsy-like OSDM with a super dense, murky production and a band which sound as though they're on acid like The Ravenous? I know Morbus Chron, Murder Squad, Abscess and most of the other well-known Autopsy-like bands but they're not really like The Ravenous in the sense that their productions are still a little too clean and they're not nearly as chaotic.

Triumvir Foul,which I posted just above your post above. Their new album is really good. Has a lot Teitanblood in their sound as well. Very dirty, and chaotic.

Mausoleum is well done Autopsy worship. Haven't heard beyond their album, Cadaveric Displays of Ghoulish Ghastliness, but I enjoy this album a lot.

Obliteration is good, though maybe a little too clean for what you are looking for.

Accidental Suicide is a good one that sounds along the lines of what you are looking for.

Cardiac Arrest. Heavy, and stenchy sounding.

Corrosive Carcass. Sounds like Entombed meets Autopsy

Vastum is on the dirtier side. I highly recommend this band.

Church of Disgust is another good one. I would check out the label Memento Mori for some more of this stuff.

Bokluk is another very dirty and stenchy sounding one. ALso on Memento Mori.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:10 pm 

Of all these bands, the only one I know is Obliteration, who are great but definitely too clean and not chaotic enough. Will have a look at the others, thanks.

EDIT: Mausoleum is very, very good thanks.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:46 pm 

Hey peeps, y'all may remember when I came in here a while back with a shaky and vague description of the kinda death metal I'm always looking for, but now that I'm honestly a lot more into the genre, I know exactly what to ask for. Does anyone think they can rec some of (preferably old-school, but anything is appreciated!) the thrashiest, most straightforward and riffy death metal out there? The fast, demented, brutal-y stuff loaded with nonstop blasting and trem picking is just okay to me, but I've found that I just cannot get enough of the really simple, heavy-as-fudge, riff-centric death metal, and I have got to find more of it.

The past week or so has been full of me listening to stuff like Cancer's first two albums, Therion's Of Darkness, and perhaps the most obvious example: Death's Scream Bloody Gore. Also, the more thrash breaks, the better!! I absolutely love it when death metal has thrash breaks out the kazoo, and the more the merrier. And finally, I'm cool with any kind of vocals now, so hit me with everything.

Thanks in advance!! :headbang:

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:59 pm 

Necrophobic's Nocturnal Silence and the first two Hypocrisy albums (Penetrailia and Osculum Obscenum)
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:38 am 

Hey guys can anyone recommend some blackened death bands along the lines of Belphegor and God Dethroned?

I really enjoy their balance between black metal-ish melodies and death metal brutality and am keen to discover other groups. Thanks in advance.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:57 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Hey peeps, y'all may remember when I came in here a while back with a shaky and vague description of the kinda death metal I'm always looking for, but now that I'm honestly a lot more into the genre, I know exactly what to ask for. Does anyone think they can rec some of (preferably old-school, but anything is appreciated!) the thrashiest, most straightforward and riffy death metal out there? The fast, demented, brutal-y stuff loaded with nonstop blasting and trem picking is just okay to me, but I've found that I just cannot get enough of the really simple, heavy-as-fudge, riff-centric death metal, and I have got to find more of it.

The past week or so has been full of me listening to stuff like Cancer's first two albums, Therion's Of Darkness, and perhaps the most obvious example: Death's Scream Bloody Gore. Also, the more thrash breaks, the better!! I absolutely love it when death metal has thrash breaks out the kazoo, and the more the merrier. And finally, I'm cool with any kind of vocals now, so hit me with everything.

Pestilence's first two
Possessed's Seven Churches
EDIT: Insanity from the US should also be your thing.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:39 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:

I have a feeling you will love Sinister if you like Cancer's second album. Very heavy and chunky, fast paced death metal. I listen to their early stuff a lot.

Merciless is oldschool Swedish death metal, although death/thrash that is not like the Stockholm sound. Sounds more like Kreator

Mercyless is another good one. They also got a solid album out last year.

Massacra. Enjoy the Violence is a very highly regarded death/thrash album.

Impaler is a British band that only released one album of death/thrash and it is pretty solid and chunky sounding.

Protector is some more death/thrash you should check out.

For something with some different vocals try out Inquisitor. Very fast and fairly chaotic death/thrash.

Not as death oriented as the others but Num Skull is one you should check out.

Revenant is some solid techy death/thrash.

If you aren't familiar with Thanatos from the Netherlands then do check them out.

Demolition Hammer is about as brutal as thrash metal gets without being death metal in my opinion. Very intense and up the ass in thrash breaks. Still amazing live too.

Tons of death/thrash out there. Agressor (Fra), Mortuary (Mex), Silent Scream, and Slaughterer are some more that are worth checking out. Slaughterer is one of my favorites of the newer thrash bands. Top notch Kreator worship.

EatTheRich
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:23 pm 

frostyj66 wrote:
Hey guys can anyone recommend some blackened death bands along the lines of Belphegor and God Dethroned?

I really enjoy their balance between black metal-ish melodies and death metal brutality and am keen to discover other groups. Thanks in advance.

Myrkskog might be worth checking out.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:49 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Pestilence's first two

I can co-sign this post. At least I can with Seven Churches and Pestilence Consuming Impulse. I have never heard the one before it.

I'm 80% sure sc2112 knows about Demolition Hammer, but if he hasn't, they're more thrash than death, but you'll definitely enjoy them
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:42 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:

Don't forget Ripping Corpse. A pretty groovy (not that kind of groovy) death/thrash band with a lot of weirdness to them, really stand out from the rest. They have the dissonance of Morbid Angel to them, but basically none of the blasting, tremolo etc. you don't like. And yes, there are thrash breaks. Really, really good ones. The best thrash breaks, believe me.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:56 pm 

How about these?

Hellbringer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S35HesWIXug&t=772s

Massacre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO8SfWn2QHY

Demolition Hammer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFN9x6yE-iw

Sadus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfyl_OY ... B8A47150E9

Slaughter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyn9Euj58GE

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:32 pm 

EatTheRich wrote:
Myrkskog might be worth checking out.

I remember when they released Deathmachine it hit like a ton of bricks as it was so OTT compared to any of the other death/black hybrids at the time. Didn't check out anything from them after that so thanks for reminding me about them.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:54 pm 

colin040 wrote:

Pestilence's first two

I'll have to try out Insanity, but I already quite enjoy the Possessed and Pestilence stuff (Pestilence's stuff is some of my fav in that vein). Thanks!

TrooperEd wrote:

I'm 80% sure sc2112 knows about Demolition Hammer, but if he hasn't, they're more thrash than death, but you'll definitely enjoy them

Yeah, Demolition Hammer is easily some of my favorite thrash metal out there. :headbang:

AcidWorm: Thanks a ton for all the links, so far that Sinister is really darn cool, as is Massacra. I still need to try the others, but right off the bat, that Num Skull stuff is AMAZING. THAT is awesome stuff, thank you for including that!!

IamDBR: Thanks, and I'll be sure to give all that a shot!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:17 pm 

So, I'm looking for old school death metal with a bit of a gothic feeling to it. The best example I can think of would be Obsecration's debut album. It's Midpaced, features spooky keyboards and doesn't sound too brutal/aggressive/heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7BSwq2pDqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnpLBhR48Q

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:41 am 

colin040 wrote:
So, I'm looking for old school death metal with a bit of a gothic feeling to it. The best example I can think of would be Obsecration's debut album. It's Midpaced, features spooky keyboards and doesn't sound too brutal/aggressive/heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7BSwq2pDqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnpLBhR48Q

Your best bet may be to continue with the old Greek scene if you're not already familiar with those bands. Debut albums/EPs from Horrified, Nightfall and Selefice might be up your alley. Some of it tends to cross into the doom threshold, however.

First Vorphalack EP also fits the description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V6N8FDDlMg

Perhaps too heavy and "brutal" in the big picture, but Magus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1uGNRhWIZY

Maybe early Phlebotomized if you're not afraid of venturing into the weird.

And while not death metal, Argentum's debut captures the feeling of the old Greek bands very well but is in itself on another level of occult/mystical atmosphere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB05p2WLanA

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:37 am 

Drowned wrote:

Your best bet may be to continue with the old Greek scene if you're not already familiar with those bands. Debut albums/EPs from Horrified, Nightfall and Selefice might be up your alley. Some of it tends to cross into the doom threshold, however.

First Vorphalack EP also fits the description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V6N8FDDlMg

Perhaps too heavy and "brutal" in the big picture, but Magus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1uGNRhWIZY

Maybe early Phlebotomized if you're not afraid of venturing into the weird.

And while not death metal, Argentum's debut captures the feeling of the old Greek bands very well but is in itself on another level of occult/mystical atmosphere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB05p2WLanA

Out of your recommendations, Vorphalack sounds closest to what I'm looking for and didn't know of already, thanks! I decided to make a separate thread instead as I realized it's not just death metal that I'm looking for and that Argentum album is definitely a good example of gothic-y exreme metal that I hope to find more.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259 ... 290  Next