Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:36 pm 

So earlier today I was in the car going through my iPod when I came upon some ska, Reel Big Fish and the like, y'know the bigger names. I got to thinking, this has the same upbeat energy as a lot of crossover I've heard.

I'm wondering, are there any bands that combine ska sounds (upbeat trumpets and reggae influences) with crossover thrash? It just seems like it'd work to me. The only thing I can think of that even comes close to this metal-ska hybrid I'm looking for is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEtBou3bLss

It's got the brass section I'm talking about, but this is kind of a one out of many thing and I was hoping for a band who did this instead of single songs. Maybe a bit more upbeat and happy sounding as well. Thanks for any help if this even exists.

Crut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:24 pm 

try leftover crack

Matty_The_Emo_Slayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:15 am 

Crut wrote:
try leftover crack

not exactly Metal though is it? Its more like some sort of Ska/Queercore/Oi hybrid, at least what ive heard of them

http://www.metalireland.com/miwiki/inde ... Blaze_Zine

Lord_CockGrinder666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:14 am 

try Primus , Suidcidal Tendencies

hope it helps

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 am 

Sounds like 24-7 Spyz maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-7_Spyz

Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:57 pm 

Well, you guys are certainly getting close but not quite there.

Leftover Crack were pretty good, had a kind of crusty sound at times which is unusual for ska, but still not as overtly metal as I would have liked. Thanks though.

I've heard Primus and while I'm a fan they don't give off the ska sound I really want, they've got plenty of slap bass but that's about it. Suicidal Tendencies I've heard as well, and once again not quite there. I was honestly thinking of newer ska, like Reel Big Fish or The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, fucking D.R.I. or Municipal Waste in the ass.

24-7 Spyz was cool and I'll definitely listen to them, but unless I'm listening to the wrong stuff they're also not quite what I want. It's interesting and good, just not what I'm after.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:00 pm 

What about The Gloominous Doom?
Hehe, foreskins.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:08 pm 

Not metal but always got a kick out of Voodoo glow Skulls. Might be some of the harder ska music I have heard.

Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:32 pm 

Crick wrote:
What about The Gloominous Doom?

Oh fuck, that's really weird but fucking amazing. Not quite what I was looking for but damn better than anything I expected to find. At first it just sounded like death metal but the tracks with ska influence are insane, thanks much for this.

As for Voodoo Glow Skulls, not what I'm looking for but I've heard the name and never bothered looking them up due to being lazy, but thank you for reminding me.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:40 pm 

you should definitely try (le) scrawl. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this. really, do it.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:58 pm 

Hmm, Canada's Leper comes to mind. They're primarily a black metal band but they take a lot of influence from both crust and ska. They aren't crossover thrash at all, but you might want to check them out anyways.

- John Calvin.

Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:41 pm 

Y'know, none of you guys are recommending me what I had exactly in mind, but that's not a bad thing at all. I really, really enjoyed Leper and (Le) Scrawl. Gonna check out their stuff, it's definitely some of the most interesting stuff I've ever heard. Thanks guys.

Hopefully I can find all these bands' stuff (I'm looking at you, The Gloominous Doom, (Le) Scrawl and Leper) because I really like what I've heard, thanks much for helping me out even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted, it's still all very very good.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:55 pm 

I played a gig with this rather awesome band called Ninja Spy - they are pretty hard to describe, as their sound is rather eclectic, but it's like... thrashy metallic hardcore + ska + some deathcore influences which totally blew me away. I dunno, seriously just listen for yourself. It might be what you're looking for, or it might not and you're dig it anyways :P

http://www.myspace.com/thetriadinblood

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:14 am 

OMFG, that band Leper is AMAZING! HOLY FUCK! The two sounds mesh together so well! Goddamn!

EDIT: And after some poking around, you can download their album for free off their label's website: http://moshpittragedy.com/main.php > click on "Leper" > click on the big red button that says "Click Here for Download info" and you're golden!

Last edited by Nyaricus on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MorbidCum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:21 am 

I can't really see ska being blended with metal very well. With punk yes, which has already been done awesomely by future Rancid band Operation Ivy.

Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:29 am 

MorbidCum wrote:
I can't really see ska being blended with metal very well. With punk yes, which has already been done awesomely by future Rancid band Operation Ivy.

Well, I was unsure as well. It just seemed like some already punk-ish influenced music like crossover would sound a bit more ska if you threw in some horns and those ska guitar lines, and bam! done. It seems like it'd work well to me, and though no one has recommended it yet I can definitely see what I meant in The Gloominous Doom. If you don't believe me, listen to "Gurgling Cess Pool of Slime" on their myspace if you can. This is a great example of what I mean and what I'm looking for, albeit a bit more death influenced than I originally meant, it's definitely in the same realm. Imagine the same thing as that band except with more thrash than death and you've got what I meant originally, though I really like the death vocals and such in their music anyways so it does work somehow. It's pretty crazy, I'll admit.

Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:31 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
OMFG, that band Leper is AMAZING! HOLY FUCK! The two sounds mesh together so well! Goddamn!

EDIT: And after some poking around, you can download their album for free off their label's website: http://moshpittragedy.com/main.php > click on "Leper" > click on the big red button that says "Click Here for Download info" and you're golden!

Ninjaspy was pretty interesting, thanks! and yeah, I found that as well and listened to all of it. I really like it, their ska moments are sparse but when they come it's insane. Some cool crust sounds going on in their as well.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:27 am 

if you enjoyed leftover crack you should check out their predecessor Choking Victim "No Gods No Managers"

way more ska/upbeat guitar influence mixed with crusty punk... its way better than LoC imo even though its essentially the same band with a different drummer. not really what you're looking for per say but still a great album
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Jagged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:41 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
you should definitely try (le) scrawl. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this. really, do it.

What a great band indeed.

To the OP:

The first LAWNMOWER DETH album, "Oh crikey...", has a few Reggae beats here and there. It's funny as hell Thrashcore. Give it a go.

Also, the Japanese unit REAL REGGAE are worth mentioning. Powerviolence + Reggae breaks.

I know it's more Reggae than Ska, but I thought you might like those two.
www.facebook.com/memento.mori.label

DemonX99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:36 pm 

The first thing that comes to mind is The Flaming Tsunamis.
I'm not sure if this will fulfill your request at all. They are ska but also pretty -core influenced.
Their release Fear Everything is one of the most amazing cds I ever bought.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNrldMYf ... re=related
(Sound quality sucks)

FutureBreedMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:04 pm 

Skindred. They're a raggae-rap-metalcore crossover, they are the closest I can think of.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:12 pm 

FutureBreedMachine wrote:
Skindred. They're a raggae-rap-metalcore crossover, they are the closest I can think of.

that sounds like quite possibly the worst band ever
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:18 pm 

Yikes...I looked them up on YouTube...shittiness: confirmed. That band is AWFUL.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:24 pm 

Check out the track Sacrifice (I think?) by New York crust band Nausea. It ends with a ska/reggea rythm and bassline with a nice solo. Great band, great song!

DemonX99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:01 pm 

http://www.myspace.com/oregoncrust

Just found this band, good thrashy-ska.

FutureBreedMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:54 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Yikes...I looked them up on YouTube...shittiness: confirmed. That band is AWFUL.

Yeah I never said they were good, just all I could think of :P

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:28 pm 

FutureBreedMachine wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Yeah I never said they were good, just all I could think of :P

Quality, not quantity mate ;)

Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:11 am 

Not metal, but Five Minute Freakshow incorporate Ska with metallic hardcore. Oh and, The Gloominous Doom are in fact my favorite band. I'm not sure if there is anything on Myspace still up, but they had a side project called "Old Man River" that played acoustic type stuff, and there is also Slained Child Mourned, a sort of predecessor band to The Gloominous Doom that still plays about once a year.

I also have every release that is listed on MA and possibly some that I haven't gotten around to adding yet.

I haven't checked out the other true-metal (not the -core bands mentioned) bands that incorporate Ska, but as I am rather biased in favor of The Gloominous Doom... I'd have to say no matter what they are pretty much the champions of Ska Metal. Personally, what they have put out so far is all I need.

Also, I freaking missed a show they did nearby that was tonight... D'oh! Basement show too, probably involved smoking weed. I don't smoke weed, I just like being in the vicinity of people who are smoking weed.

Also their new album will have more ska. "White Worms from Hell" is a song they have been playing (not available on the internet, but I'm sure if you see them live they'll play it) that puts even their old material to shame! Also, the concept of their song "Portal Potty" is classic: Traveling through time in a shitter!

They are still in the process of recording, but they don't hold back songs... they road test them and develop them over a long period of time - Urine Trouble is from about two years ago, Desolation of Smaug dates back to 2006 (they disappointed me when they didn't record that song for their debut). Also, I am sure they are re-recording the White Mist of Summer Mountain Road... When they play that song live, the length of the ska-jam has doubled.

Best way to experience The Gloominous Doom is live. You won't be able to see their vocalist Jeff knock a cowbell on his prosthetic leg during Urine Trouble when listening to their songs on Myspace.

Okay, that's it, I'm posting a thread about these guys! Geeze.

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

ASupervillain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:21 pm 

Get Mr. Bungle's self titled album as soon as you read this, they're in the same crowd as the Melvins and I think they've even done some stuff together. Very similar sound to the video you posted.

Cudnoredje
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:23 am 

Try this:
https://we9guys.bandcamp.com/album/i-wa ... -circus-ep

We 9 Guys. They play some kind of comedy ska/grindcore (although they claim: "death metal ska").
It sounds fun. :)

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:48 pm 

Becoming The Archetype did one ska-influenced song on their album Celestial Completion and it's pretty fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bvTT39qjcQ

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:14 pm 

dudes, its a 9 year old thread.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:27 pm 

Ha I didn't notice. I wonder why this thread of all threads got resurrected...

Reply to topic