Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:57 pm 

Falconer's last couple of albums, maybe? I haven't really listened to the Swedish stuff but the English stuff on ABAT was pretty solid and the Blad material has been pretty good in general, so it's probably worth a shot. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:16 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
any ideas (besides, say, Sabaton's other edition of their latest album) on some classic (not too high-pitched) and quite anthemnic heavy metal with scandinavian (doesn't matter if finnish, swedish, norwegian, icelandic…) lyrics?

Do you know Raubtier? Not very classic, but anthemic and in Swedish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUABP8zQj-k

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:32 pm 

Apparently there's both a new Rhapsody of Fire and a new Leaves' Eyes out this week. I predict that one with be awesome (Hint: Leaves' Eyes) and the other will be mediocre (Hint: Rhapsody). Which one's which? We'll find out soon~

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:32 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
any ideas (besides, say, Sabaton's other edition of their latest album) on some classic (not too high-pitched) and
quite anthemnic heavy metal with scandinavian (doesn't matter if finnish, swedish, norwegian, icelandic…) lyrics?

thanks...

Heavy metal perse

Heavy metal perse : Aikakirjat

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:06 pm 

Here's another new Tad Morose song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M85ermuRaPA

Sadly, this is just plain dull. No cool riffs during the verses and the chorus consists of repeating the songtitle a thousand times just doesn't work. I don't mind its slower pace but man does this sound lazy.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:57 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Here's another new Tad Morose song Sadly, this is just plain dull.

That's Ronny Hemlin. It's like he doesn't know what melody is. Just those monotone mid-range, squeezed gruffs.
He did ok on the first couple Steel Attack albums he sang on, but those were more aggressive than this.
It's a shame, wonder what will happen with TM next?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:04 pm 

I remember liking that first Steel Attack album he was on; it was quite fun in that mid-2000s modern/aggressive power metal sort of way. Not sure where he went wrong since then. Wow, that song is depressing. Pretty generic. The cool Middle Eastern style font logo is gone too, pretty indicative of the sound change. Sounds like it's stuck in 2006.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:34 pm 

Oh, wow. Not only was the new Rhapsody of Fire album bad, it was torturous. Nothing but slow, bland "epics" that did nothing and went nowhere.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:14 am 

I listened to a track off the new Rhapsody of Fire on YouTube, it sounded alright to me. Granted I cant compare it to a lot of their previous stuff as I don't have any of their albums yet, only LT's solo stuff.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:16 am 

I heard the single, it sounded okay I guess. Better than most of their shit.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:43 pm 

I don't think you understand; imagine a Rhapsody album comprised entirely of "Echoes of Tragedy" 11 times, with "Land of Immortals" thrown in once just for spice.

And then imagine that the songs are nowhere near as memorable as those two.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm 

Anyone familiar with the band Круиз/Kruiz? According to the demo pages, there's supposedly a 318bpm version of their song The Last Dawn. Has anyone ever heard this?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:19 pm 

I don't listen to a lot of heavy metal, but I'm trying to get more into it. Can anyone recommend recent stuff with catchy leads and dueling guitars? I'm really big into Dawnbringer, Christian Mistress and the new Satan record. Proggier stuff like Hammers of Misfortune is great too.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:39 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I don't think you understand; imagine a Rhapsody album comprised entirely of "Echoes of Tragedy" 11 times, with "Land of Immortals" thrown in once just for spice.

Well, I never enjoyed any of Rhapsody's stuff, so I'm afraid I can't share the sentiment. :p

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:16 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I don't listen to a lot of heavy metal, but I'm trying to get more into it. Can anyone recommend recent stuff with catchy leads and dueling guitars? I'm really big into Dawnbringer, Christian Mistress and the new Satan record. Proggier stuff like Hammers of Misfortune is great too.

For this rec you don't have to look too far away, Slough Feg's frontman used to be on Hammers of Misfortune. So yeah, Slough Feg. They have a lot of different sounds mixed together, like folk, but they are heavy metal to the core.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOQF6RDRIe0 - Traders and Gunboats.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:02 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

Well, I never enjoyed any of Rhapsody's stuff, so I'm afraid I can't share the sentiment. :p

No, you're still not hearing me.

This is one of the better songs, and it still sucks my ass:

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:54 pm 

So Riot just posted a "guess who our new singer is" teaser sorta video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEYGW6zT8_U

Can't say that I know who it is, but I'm glad that their style is similar to Tony Moore and that they sound just fine to me!

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:22 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
This is one of the better songs, and it still sucks my ass:

Wow, they have one whole chord through the entire song. Clearly they're guitar legends. Strum a single chord for five minutes and do some basic shred workouts. MASTERPIECE.

Why does everyone put dingy grays, browns, and greens all over album covers these days, especially in power metal? I miss the bright, vibrant album art of the 1980s, now we live in SERIOUS times and our album covers must be SERIOUS all the time, unless it's a retro thrash album with the obligatory Ed-Repka-by-numbers art. Rotting organic matter and rusting iron (and occasionally a little bit of fire to go with the rusty filth) don't put me in a very headbanging mood.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:27 pm 

That song is far less annoying than the garbage on their last album. Jesus that album was horseshit. I can tolerate their early stuff even though it's not my thing, but From Chaos to Eternity was an awful album by any standard.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:53 am 

I like Rhapsody's Limb-era material, but after that, they completely lost me.

naverhtrad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:26 pm 

Aydross wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

For this rec you don't have to look too far away, Slough Feg's frontman used to be on Hammers of Misfortune. So yeah, Slough Feg. They have a lot of different sounds mixed together, like folk, but they are heavy metal to the core.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOQF6RDRIe0 - Traders and Gunboats.

I love Hammers too. Their most recent stuff - The Locust Years and 17th Street - were utterly superb. But as for Slough Feg I've only got their Hardworlder album. Really solid stuff, but I haven't really gotten further into them than that...

As for recent old-school heavy metal, narsilianshard, I'm not sure if bands like Enforcer or Alpha Tiger would be up your alley - I enjoy both bands quite a lot, but you might find them too lightweight or speedy for your taste. Griffin from Norway may also be worth your attention, though. They've got some solid, meaty, almost thrashy riffs and the duelling guitars going for them, and it doesn't hurt that their (first) vocalist sounded a bit like Chuck Billy - rougher around the edges in some ways than Dawnbringer, but in the same vein.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:18 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Oh, wow. Not only was the new Rhapsody of Fire album bad, it was torturous. Nothing but slow, bland "epics" that did nothing and went nowhere.

It's out already? And that is very disappointing, I haven't listen to Rhapsody in ages but they were my first metal band and enjoyed all their albums before the band split in two.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:56 pm 

Full new Tad Morose album streaming here: http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... -revenant/

Well, ''Death Embrace'' is a cool tune. Nice speedy punching riffs during the verses a strong chorus there.''Millenium Lie'' still sounds like crap but if it would be the only filler on the album I'd be happy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:56 pm 

"Within a Dream" is actually pretty fucking good.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:09 pm 

naverhtrad wrote:
As for recent old-school heavy metal, narsilianshard, I'm not sure if bands like Enforcer or Alpha Tiger would be up your alley - I enjoy both bands quite a lot, but you might find them too lightweight or speedy for your taste. Griffin from Norway may also be worth your attention, though. They've got some solid, meaty, almost thrashy riffs and the duelling guitars going for them, and it doesn't hurt that their (first) vocalist sounded a bit like Chuck Billy - rougher around the edges in some ways than Dawnbringer, but in the same vein.

Ah yes, I should have listed Enforcer in my initial post. Their latest is essentially Kill 'em All 2013 but it completely rules. I'll check out the others, thanks!

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:56 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here man. I liked it a lot. It was fun to hear an album so keyboard-driven. I am usually not that big of a fan of longer "epic" anthems either, but in this case, I think it worked to their advantage. Fabio Lione is a vocalist suited for singing such songs, in my opinion. Another thing I also really liked about this record was the choirs. I think that has a lot to do with how loud they are in the mix. It at least worked very well for me though, so to each his own I guess. :)

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:22 am 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
So Riot just posted a "guess who our new singer is" teaser sorta video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEYGW6zT8_U

Can't say that I know who it is, but I'm glad that their style is similar to Tony Moore and that they sound just fine to me!

I'd rather if it actually was Tony Moore, ya know.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 pm 

ShadeOfDarkness wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here man. I liked it a lot. It was fun to hear an album so keyboard-driven. I am usually not that big of a fan of longer "epic" anthems either, but in this case, I think it worked to their advantage. Fabio Lione is a vocalist suited for singing such songs, in my opinion. Another thing I also really liked about this record was the choirs. I think that has a lot to do with how loud they are in the mix. It at least worked very well for me though, so to each his own I guess. :)

But I am a fan of epic anthems; this album just does them wrong.

When I think of Rhapsody doing epics, I think of "Gargoyles, Angels of Darkness" and "Sacred Power of Raging Winds." They, too, are keyboard-driven and full of choirs, but I like these songs way, way better than anything on this new album.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:48 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
But I am a fan of epic anthems; this album just does them wrong.

When I think of Rhapsody doing epics, I think of "Gargoyles, Angels of Darkness" and "Sacred Power of Raging Winds." They, too, are keyboard-driven and full of choirs, but I like these songs way, way better than anything on this new album.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Those songs are different from the new ones, but yeah, I guess a lot of people are not really gonna like this all that much, as it is quite an unusual album coming from a band like this. They did want to take a somewhat more simple route this time around, and I just appreciated that. It was cool hearing Rhapsody in another setting, without the intense shredding of Luca, or the complex songwriting (which I have absolutely nothing against). The one thing I told myself when I was listening to this album was "Do not compare it to any other Rhapsody of Fire albums" and I do find that I don't need to either, as I feel this album kinda stands on it's own.

I will say this though: I am a huge Fabio fanboy, and I find it very hard to dislike something he's on, so you should probably not listen all that much to me. :P

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:37 pm 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:

My guess is Tirelli or Giles from WARLORD.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:05 am 

For Blazon Stone fans :-D
NEW CONTEST! Watch the video!
Send your entry to: [email protected]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6H03n4kl_c

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:04 pm 

Are there any melodic/power metal bands without the high-pitched vocals? It could be guttural, or even something more different, i don't know.
If for female vocals, something that isn't soprano like...
Any suggestions?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:42 pm 

What about ANTITHESIS? They were progressive power metal. Their first two albums are excellent and have mid-range vocals.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:31 pm 

^ I might have heard the wrong songs, but... The vocals still sound pretty high for me.
I'd like perhaps something weirder than straight heavy/power or thrash like-vocals, I'know.
Or harsh vocals... harsh vocals are like jeans, they match with everything (=

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:07 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
harsh vocals are like jeans, they match with everything (=

Harsh vocals are like jeans, it's what you use when you're to lazy to make an effort.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:18 pm 

Yeah, that also. xD

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:58 pm 

Karlabos check out Persuader If you haven't. I'ts power metal, but with a singer that sounds he's gonna lose it anytime. Turn to Dust.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:01 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
Are there any melodic/power metal bands without the high-pitched vocals? It could be guttural, or even something more different, i don't know.
If for female vocals, something that isn't soprano like...
Any suggestions?

Is it time for me to plug Triosphere and Beautiful Sin again? :V

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:20 pm 

Plenty of power metal bands have deep vocals...

Pharaoh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ilvX0zrBgw
Symphony X's later work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO-cpWpzxVA - they're a prog metal band, but I dunno, their later albums are just as much power metal to me as prog.
Dark At Dawn - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v96i1xgWQmw
Angel Dust - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bkf0m0ejZo
Tad Morose - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBLJs_ZRZmc
Mystic Prophecy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXEPK7joCWk
Rage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIX8EcYyp38
Black Destiny - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH20UI9GoJg
Hanker - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SslnSbV5G0Y
Her Whisper - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZDwd_zei64
Morgana Lefay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rTkPS-oL4w

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:28 pm 

Never heard of Triosphere, Dark at Dawn and Her Whisper before... might check them out, great recs you guy's :-D.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420 ... 625  Next