Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:39 pm 

2011: Manilla Road's Playground of the Damned is the only album I'd really consider "essential". Read my review if you somehow haven't heard it yet. Argus's Boldly Stride the Doomed is solid as well but it's heavy/doom rather than strictly heavy/power/speed.

2012: Skelator's Agents of Power is pretty sweet Elric-themed heavy/power with a lot of variety and more substance than their previous albums. Graven Rite's demo is also a must-have epic heavy metal gem, check out my review for that one as well. Steel Assassin's Metal of Honor is a step down from the debut but definitely still quite good, worth checking out.

2013: Satan's Host's Virgin Sails blows By the Hands... out of the water as far as I'm concerned, much more of a focus on power/thrash and much less black metal/extreme stuff. The songwriting is brilliant. In Solitude's Sister is excellent, though very goth-rock oriented so you have to be into that sort of thing. Blazon Stone's Return to Port Royal is Ced's newest RW worship project, and it kicks ass. Read my review. Borrowed Time's self-titled is also quite good, if you haven't heard their demo/EP they're basically really solid NWOBHM revival with some Manilla Road tinges.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Man_who_lost_the_sun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:12 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
2011: Manilla Road's Playground of the Damned is the only album I'd really consider "essential". Read my review if you somehow haven't heard it yet. Argus's Boldly Stride the Doomed is solid as well but it's heavy/doom rather than strictly heavy/power/speed.

2012: Skelator's Agents of Power is pretty sweet Elric-themed heavy/power with a lot of variety and more substance than their previous albums. Graven Rite's demo is also a must-have epic heavy metal gem, check out my review for that one as well. Steel Assassin's Metal of Honor is a step down from the debut but definitely still quite good, worth checking out.

2013: Satan's Host's Virgin Sails blows By the Hands... out of the water as far as I'm concerned, much more of a focus on power/thrash and much less black metal/extreme stuff. The songwriting is brilliant. In Solitude's Sister is excellent, though very goth-rock oriented so you have to be into that sort of thing. Blazon Stone's Return to Port Royal is Ced's newest RW worship project, and it kicks ass. Read my review. Borrowed Time's self-titled is also quite good, if you haven't heard their demo/EP they're basically really solid NWOBHM revival with some Manilla Road tinges.

Thanks, lots of good stuff here to look at! I've heard the Manilla album, don't worry. Skelator are one of my favorites actually, I wasn't aware they had a 2012 album. I have Time of the Sword Rulers and Give Me Metal or Give Me Death and I briefly listened to their 2010 album. Death to the False is an ANTHEM of a song, a favorite of mine.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:35 am 

2011: Satan's Host - By the Hands of the Devil for sure, best trad album of this year followed by Hell's Human Remains,In Solitude's sophomore release The World. The Flesh. The Devil is very good too. 2011 was pretty nice for doom/occult rock with Lord Vicar, The Wounded Kings, The Devil's Blood or Blood Ceremony. If you like Motorhead, check out Midnight's Satanic Royalty and Speedwolf's Ride With Death. Oh and don't forget Riot's Immortal Soul!

2012: Not a lot of heavy, speed or power metal in my year end list except perhaps Arkham Witch (heavy/doom/hard rock), Dark Nightmare (epic MResque heavy). Also Accept's Stalingrad and Herman Frank's Right in the Guts. If you like doom metal, there's a shitload of good stuff like Witch Mountain, Altar of Oblivion, The Wandering Midget or Fall of the Idols.

2013: In Solitude's Sister, Borrowed Time's self titled and Atlantean Kodex's The White Goddess are three of my favorite albums of the year so check 'em out (hint: I wrote reviews for these!). There's also the latest Darkthrone (it has this vintage heavy metal vibe) and the new Attacker which is a good return to form for the Americans. Furthermore, I'm not sure we'll hear the new Slough Feg before the end of the year though, I can't wait for it.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:37 am 

It's going on four years for a new Slough Feg - weird that it's taking so long. They've never taken quite so long before; I'm curious to hear how different it'll be. Maybe more epic and varied like the old stuff. Or maybe just the same as the last few!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:41 am 

Judging by the song they released, it will be a return to a sci fi, epic sound instead of the hard rock approach of The Animal Spirits, I'm pretty happy with this direction myself as Traveller and Hardworlder are two of my favs. But eh, Mike can't do no wrong!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:05 am 

That song kinda sounded like The Animal Spirits except with a more sci-fi theme to it. I'm hoping they put out a longer album again though. Something with more meat on it.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:26 am 

Empyreal wrote:
It's going on four years for a new Slough Feg - weird that it's taking so long. They've never taken quite so long before; I'm curious to hear how different it'll be. Maybe more epic and varied like the old stuff. Or maybe just the same as the last few!

Shit, has it really been that long?

And honestly, it doesn't matter which direction they take, because I'm always game for whatever they put out.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:49 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
it doesn't matter which direction they take, because I'm always game for whatever they put out.

THIS!

Was really pumped on Lazer Enforcer as I love the scifi themes but they could go any direction with the music and I'd dig it, they haven't put out a bad record yet.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:22 am 

I hope they return to the Deadmen/Traveller/Atavism style more than the latest ones, although I do like Ape Uprising quite a bit, and certain songs off Hardworlder. Animal Spirits doesn't do much for me, which is strange. Maybe in time.

My list is slightly cross-genre, some speed/thrash/black/doom influence, but it's all 'heavy metal' enough for me:

2011: Doomsword - The Eternal Battle

Their last album didn't do much for me compared to Resound the Horn/Let Battle Commence, so this was a nice return to form. Excellent riffs, leads, and vocal melodies. They've got towering, bass-heavy epic heavy metal down to an art. If only we had more Italian bands like this and fewer cheesy Europower acts.

See also: Riot, Speedwolf (speedy/thrashy/raw), Graveyard (more like '70s rock, but Witchcraft fans should check em out, excellent stuff), Satan's Host

2012: Midnight - Complete And Total Fucking Midnight (compilation)

Don't care if it's not pure heavy metal, this compilation is fucking AWESOME. Slightly blackened heavy/speed that's filthy as shit and super memorable. Motorhead is a big influence, like with Speedwolf, although this is like Motorhead meets Bathory/Venom.

See also: Witchcraft (better than The Alchemist for me, solid as fuck), Christian Mistress (not as good as Agony & Opium but still good), Hellwell, Iron Dogs

2013: Enforcer - Death by Fire

I'm not really saying it's the best heavy metal album of 2013, but it's gotten the most play-time from me. Some awesomely classic stuff here, recalling Di'Anno era Maiden in the guitar/bass/drums.

See also: Satan (great comeback), Magic Circle (great newcomer), Atlantean Kodex (great sophomore effort, better than the debut imo), Cromlech, Manilla Road (some very good songs)
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:12 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I'm hoping they put out a longer album again though. Something with more meat on it.

I don't. Personally, I like the "wanting more" principle rather than filling an album to the brim. It's nice to see a band do that. Different genre, but a band like Type O Negative would make albums an hour and a quarter long. They had some amazing stuff, but it was mixed in with lower quality songs. That's one reason why I enjoy their debut so much more. Taking away that pointless "dance" song and you have a solid 50 something minutes.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:10 pm 

Well, I wouldn't dispute you on that, as their latest albums have been very good at under 40 minutes. But it'd be nice to have a long album like DATD or Twilight of the Idols again, if not in musical style than in songwriting ethos - i.e. more variety, some epic length tunes, etc. Either way I'm sure it'll be good though.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:00 pm 

Queen of the Midnight Fire by Vigilance gets my vote as best Trad/speed album of 2013. As far as I can tell it is only released on their bandcamp, but for fans of the dark occult laden Swedish stuff of the last few years this will not disappoint. Their prior EP was plain Satan style nwobhm worship on speed, and just balls to the walls throughout. But on this release they vary the speeds from the early speedmetal sound, to some mid paced Mercyful fate overtones and makes it work tremendously.

Check it out: http://vigilanceofficial.bandcamp.com/album/queen-of-the-midnight-fire

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:24 pm 

Satan's Host's Virgin Sails is actually a pretty good contender for best of 2013, imo. Conklin's performance might honestly be the best of his career, it's crazy. The instrumental side is another great combination of death/black/USPM that we've come to know and love. Here's another song they recently posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ3pUBzlpKY

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:01 pm 

Yeah the album is fantastic. Still need to pick it up.

FSM - that track might be my favourite from the album.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:36 pm 

I'm going to go ahead and snag the last two Satan's Host albums. I've been curious about 'em for awhile now, never checked 'em out.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:53 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and snag the last two Satan's Host albums. I've been curious about 'em for awhile now, never checked 'em out.

Check out the Celebration: For the Love of Satan compilation while you're at it.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:09 pm 

It's almost the end of the year and I finally got around to listening to the new In Solitude. Too bad I can't really get into it. I liked their previous one, one that seems to be looked down on a bit, but this one doesn't really do anything for me. The gothic rock influences that were mentioned don't really seem all that apparent to me either. The production is a bit wretched too. It seems like it wants to have an old school feel, but just sounds like a high end demo.

On the other hand, I listened to that Borrowed Time album expecting to hate it. Not a tremendous fan of anything revivalist, be it thrash, death, power or doom. It was a pleasant surprise to find something pretty good even if it's not quite as good as some reviews I've read. Often times when a new metal band tries to go for an old school sound, they end up either sounding tongue in cheek (something I despise) or wear their influences too obviously and end up sounding like second rate emulations. I think BT walk that line of honoring their predecessors while still crafting something somewhat identifiable. The production could use improvement though, Not a fan of bands going for that 80s sound when they formed in 2010 or whatever. If I want to listen to something from that time period I'll throw on some Sacred Oath or Omen. Not justifying the loudness wars or anything, but there's a way to sound organic and also not ape sounds from the 70s or 80s. Still, they have some great songwriting chops and that's what matters. It's pretty good for a debut, but I want to hear what comes next. Hopefully, they can refine their sound and really take it to the next level. Probably give it a mid 80s score if I could be arsed to write reviews.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:58 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

Check out the Celebration: For the Love of Satan compilation while you're at it.

This. One of the few cases where re-recorded songs surpass the original pieces.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:03 pm 

Man_who_lost_the_sun wrote:
I've been quite busy lately and I haven't kept up with the scene the last few years. Anyone want to direct me to some MUST HAVE Heavy/Power/Speed of the last 2-3 years? I recently got Life Sentence and I can't believe Satan's still got it 30 years later.

: Holy Martyr's Invincible is one to check out if you love epic heavy metal that veers unpredictably. The band usually tackled ancient Roman and Greek battles but this album is lyrically centered around Japanese military history and I felt they portrayed it so well...Satan's Host's By The Hands Of The Devil is a must have of course but it has been mentioned at length already so I'll move on to other records from that time; Seven Witches is a criminally inconsistent bunch but their James Rivera fronted version put out Call Upon The Wicked in 2011 which was so damn good it set a standard that they've since fallen from.
Others;
Heathendom's incredible doom tinged The Symbolist, Mystic Prophecy's Ravenlord (although not nearly as awesome as the two albums before it, is still lovable enough), Twisted Tower Dire's Make It Dark which I initially found disappointing but one that grew sturdy with multiple listens, Manilla Road's Playground of the Damned and the hard/heavy records by Widow ("Life's Blood") and ElvenStorm ("Of Rage and War").

2012: Can't really remember a lot that I liked from last year but there was definitely Pharaoh's Bury The Light which still resonates strongly with me. Joph mentioned Steel Assassin's WWII themed Metal Of Honor and I happily second it. Axel Rudi Pell's Circle Of The Oath is really good too. Very fluid songwriting and incredible vocals. Züül's To The Frontlines actually came out that year. I had to check cause I wasn't sure. If you love Slough Feg and Omen, then you'll love Züül. Galloping metal with a sharpened twin guitar attack.
Others;
Dawnbringer's Into the Lair of the Sun God deserves a mention simply because that band hasn't made a bad record and they still sound like the purest thing. Ahem! Primal Fear's Unbreakable :-P ...there's better metal out there but I'm a huge fan of Scheepers and this record is consistent and thorough and stronger than what Paragon and Iron Savior have had to say in recent times, Militia's Strength and Honor is worth mentioning too. This is the raw sound of the Texas speed/thrash underground and Militia have been out of the game for a while so this sounds shaky in places but is generally a convincing onslaught of speed/power fury.

2013: Attacker!
I can't recommend Giants of Canaan enough! Vicious Rumors' Electric Punishment flew under the radar but in my world it is a top notch record. Warlord's comeback effort The Holy Empire is also truly tremendous, I'm surprised it hasn't received massive appreciation. It is their most brazenly epic album and it maintains a coherent flow where everything is nicely balanced yet the players still individually shine. Hell's Curse and Chapter is also going down just fine and Sacred Steel's The Bloodshed Summoning is perfect if you like your power metal darkened and hellish but still riff centered and not necessarily speedy.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:54 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

This. One of the few cases where re-recorded songs surpass the original pieces.

Whoa, I guess I didn't know the details on this comp, are all the songs re-recorded with Conklin? I didnt't understand why I would want anything from them without him.

In the end I backed down on the big order I had put together at Moribund. I know they're a more than legit label but I can't fuck with deals where the discount is applied after I pay. Too convoluted.

So I ordered By The Hands... off ebay and if that turns out well I'll track down Virgin Sails and this comp.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:39 pm 

I've never heard about that Satan's Host compilation. I have their whole back catalog, except for Metal from Hell and Archidoxes of Evil, but I'd love to hear Conklin on some of those old songs.

For future reference Jonpo, you aren't charged for your order immediately after you place it. You get an invoice back with the discount, and then pay, from my experience. Not sure if you knew that but I thought I'd mention it just in case. I was wary with my first order as well.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:53 pm 

Oh does it? They should just state that plainly. It said if you wanted to pay with paypal to email em, then they'd email back with the discounted invoice, it's just so convoluted. I'll probably end up ordering Virgin Sails and the comp from them if I love By the Hands... as much as everyone else. My only real concern is the length.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:55 pm 

Dude, the comp is honestly probably a little better than By the Hands of the Devil - not that that's a bad album at all, it just seems like they're all more comfortable with each other, Conklin REALLY lets it rip, he seems to get better with each Satan's Host release. It's also not 100% old material, there are a couple new songs too. And yeah, Conklin sings on all of them. Given the songs span basically the band's entire career, they really hang together pretty seamlessly.

Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr4gt9vObg

SATAN, LUCIFER, BELIAL, LEVIATHAN!

The layered vocals just get crazy and awesome.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:02 am 

There's a discount?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:20 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr4gt9vObg

SATAN, LUCIFER, BELIAL, LEVIATHAN!

The layered vocals just get crazy and awesome.

So...ordered.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:13 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
There's a discount?

Yup, running through December 22. Buy 2, get 1.

So, I placed an order as well. Satan's Host has yet to disappoint me (even their older, quirkier stuff).

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:31 pm 

Can't remember if they've been discussed but Stallion (Ger) dropped a pretty killer EP of heavy/speed jams in October. Been listening to it in my cubicle all morning. - http://sarlaccproductions.bandcamp.com/ ... -the-world

Last edited by dontlivefastjustdie on Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:52 pm 

Good stuff! Great production and addicting vocals! Thanks for sharing. I hope they have a rerelease in the works!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:47 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
Good stuff! Great production and addicting vocals! Thanks for sharing. I hope they have a rerelease in the works!

You and me both!

There's a few other gems on Sarlacc's bandcamp. Borrowed Time is on there which was just discussed recently I think. I've been jamming Wytch Hazel's The Truth ep a couple times in a row now. That Eliminator ep is pretty boss too... and with great artwork to boot!

Wytch Hazel
http://sarlaccproductions.bandcamp.com/ ... -the-truth

Eliminator
http://sarlaccproductions.bandcamp.com/ ... -the-night

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:06 pm 

Man I've been wanting a copy of that Wytch Hazel EP for so long. They need to press them shits already.

It turns out listening to UltraBoris is advisable from time to time. I'd never heard/heard about Crues first album. Three songs in and there have been nothing but impeccable riffs so far, and fun as hell songs. Public Enemy #1 has that perfect 70s gallop with the huge pause that let's the whole thing breathe. I don't know if this changed down the line but Vince can't sing for shit and I love it.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:22 am 

Well, it seems that if you are a fan of Stratovarius, then you really would've dug the PS2 Dragonball Z fighting games...

The guy who did the soundtrack, Kenji Yamamoto, has been pulling this crap for over 20 years, and only two years ago got fired for plagiarism (it's hard to be sneaky when you steal tracks from Avatar and Terminator: Salvation...).

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Man I've been wanting a copy of that Wytch Hazel EP for so long. They need to press them shits already.

It turns out listening to UltraBoris is advisable from time to time. I'd never heard/heard about Crues first album. Three songs in and there have been nothing but impeccable riffs so far, and fun as hell songs. Public Enemy #1 has that perfect 70s gallop with the huge pause that let's the whole thing breathe. I don't know if this changed down the line but Vince can't sing for shit and I love it.

Dude, Too Fast For Love is a killer record, anyone who says otherwise is an enemy of fun and sleazy radical riffs. I find the rest of their discography to be garbage with the exception of a few songs (Kickstart My Heart, Girls Girls Girls, etc.) but yeah, IMALIVE LIVEWIYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:37 pm 

Crue have always sucked. 'Live Wire' is a great song, but they just happened to stumble upon it, really. Listen to Dokken instead.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:45 pm 

I didn't get a chance to finish it last night so maybe it takes a huge dive, but I have my doubts. When I heard Live Wire I expected the rest of the album to pale in comparison but I liked Public Enemy #1 even more.

Edit: Merry Go Round sucks, everything else is pretty damn good. I'm suitably impressed.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:20 am 

There's a new Iron Curtain out! British speed metal, from Spain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIpX9tMEm-E

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:18 am 

So I've been listening to Assedium's two full lengths and I'm looking for bands similar to that. MA suggests Hyborian Steel who I have already heard and loved and Battle Ram and Virgin Steele (duh!).

If I should be more specific, Assedium is an epic power metal band centered around the RIFF but also keen at crafting atmosphere and deeply holed in age old trad metal a la Manilla Road.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am 

Regarding Slough Feg, It's actually been just over three years since the last album. Was released at the tail end of 2010. I'd rather them take their time and put out something well constructed. I think the last two have been lacking in the intricacies that made some of the earlier albums so great.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:20 pm 

In other news, I've never heard of Adrenaline Mob before now, and...what the fuck is Russell Allen doing in this tepid shit?!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:55 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Regarding Slough Feg, It's actually been just over three years since the last album. Was released at the tail end of 2010. I'd rather them take their time and put out something well constructed. I think the last two have been lacking in the intricacies that made some of the earlier albums so great.

Fun fact: The Animal Spirits is actually their best album.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:59 pm 

Funnier fact: it's only their best album if you're masturbate to Phil Lynott pictures.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 416, 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422 ... 625  Next