Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:12 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Not sure what to think about this Iron Dogs - Cold Bitch album.

Some interesting heavy/speed but it might be a little too underproduced/raw/retro for its own good.

I think the tunes on the Ripping Torment 7" are better overall but i thought the production was perfect for what they were doing. Especially with the wild vocals... I think it'd sound weird with a better production.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:40 pm 

BE MY WENCH TONIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT
OH MAIDEN SO FAAAAAAAAAAIR
BE MY WENCH TONIIIIIIIGHT
PLEASURE IS YOURS IF YOU DAAAAAAAAARE

I'll give that Iron Dogs more listens, really haven't heard it enough to say definitively.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:28 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
Not sure what to think about this Iron Dogs - Cold Bitch album.

Some interesting heavy/speed but it might be a little too underproduced/raw/retro for its own good.

I think the tunes on the Ripping Torment 7" are better overall but i thought the production was perfect for what they were doing. Especially with the wild vocals... I think it'd sound weird with a better production.

I agree about Iron Dogs' production, I appreciated the rough texture quite a lot, perfect for the style. Sounded a lot like a good quality 80s demo. Very Swedish.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:34 pm 

Still no news on what's happening with that new Satan's Host :grumble:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:01 pm 

First session with Witch Cross' Fit For Fight last night...I'm not unpleased. You can definitely hear the production similarities to Don't Break the Oath right off the bat and that's not a bad thing. Weird that a studio called Easy Sounds was churning out such fiery recordings. The music itself is pretty far from Fate though. A lot more NWOBHM-y and upbeat. Very strong first impressions though obviously I'm just getting my feet wet.

I'm fiending to get home and check out some of the other stuff I got in from SKR....second Griffin album, Black Hole's Land of Mystery, the Epic Irae (now Quicksand Dream) demo comps....

Any of you guys have an opinion on Upwards of Endtime? I found "Sadly Never Fore" for 1.09 on Amazon so of course I had to take a risk. I'm not getting my hopes up too high but I've seen multiple comparisons to Brocas Helm.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:54 pm 

Upwards of Endtime are cool. Definitely worth a buck in any case, hah. It's Phil Swanson, so it's worth checking out.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:06 pm 

They're definitely cool, though I think their 2007 album is better. Very cool epic metal; they're somewhat similar to Brocas Helm but slower and less frenetic. No crazy bass antics, unfortunately! "Damned to the Underground" is probably my favorite song of theirs.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:19 pm 

Nice! I wasn't really looking for any album in particular though I figured Sadly Never Fore was probably a bit "safer" being shorter than the newest one. Phil Swanson being involved originally caught my eye but then when I found out they had one of the guitar players from Liege Lord I realized moves needed to be made. Hopefully it shows up in the next few days.

The Hand of Doom's Poisonoise is just as good as I remember it being when I was drunk in Chicago. Really primitive stuff, some of the songs probably would garner the title proto- but some others are full-on heavy metal in the vein of 70's Priest and sometimes a more muscular sounding Scorpions. Maybe a bit of Stooges rawness as well. I really think their guitarist is a lost gem though, he rifles off these bluesy, super tasteful yet primitive solos on almost every song...it's rare that a solo makes me stop and take note these days and he had one that floored me on nearly every track. For anyone who hasn't checked them out, do yourself a favor:

The Hand of Doom - Heavy Mad Head

The Hand of Doom - The Meanest Man

(edit: And I think I managed to link two of the songs that DON'T contain the aforementioned amazing soloing prowess. Whatever, these two have my favorite riffing from the album)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:56 pm 

Samples of the new Manilla Road are out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsoVhcAE3JM

Sounds good, but I wish they'd just release one full track rather than this '30 second preview of a bunch of different songs' bullshit. Especially with a band as given to long, dense songs as Manilla Road, it doesn't really let you know whether or not the album will be any good. The only thing you can really tell is that they haven't totally changed styles since the last album.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:21 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Samples of the new Manilla Road are out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsoVhcAE3JM

Sounds good, but I wish they'd just release one full track rather than this '30 second preview of a bunch of different songs' bullshit. Especially with a band as given to long, dense songs as Manilla Road, it doesn't really let you know whether or not the album will be any good. The only thing you can really tell is that they haven't totally changed styles since the last album.

Annoyingly pointless shit, agreed, but plenty of that sounds good. I mean, it's Manilla Road, so of course! The production doesn't seem as sort of weird as it was on Playground of the Damned, though, which is good. Not that it bothered me much at all, but yeah.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:34 pm 

If it were a full song I wouldn't listen because I don't want to hear that much of a preview! Normally I don't even bother with these sampler things but I couldn't resist. Obviously I can only speculate based on these snippets but it sounds a lot more aggressively riffy to me, as opposed to Playground which had that big open, old-school feel.

Neudi's little track-by-track rundown that someone posted in the thread about Mysterium has got me more hyped up for this album than anything else.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:56 pm 

The purpose of samples are to entice you into hearing the whole thing, aren't they? Sounds like it's working. Can't wait to hear this when I'm off the work computer
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:06 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

They recently reposted a live video of a new song, but yeah, what the fuck? This thing was supposed to be out back in October. :fuck:

Obligatory Last FM Link

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:44 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

They recently reposted a live video of a new song, but yeah, what the fuck? This thing was supposed to be out back in October. :fuck:

Yeah, I hope this gets out fast! I just recently got into them, and I am loving the fuck out of their new stuff. This needs to get out quickly!

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:39 am 

WaywardSon wrote:
Anyone pay any attention to Agent Steel/John Cyriis lately? There apparently has been something going on. What, I don't know due to Cyriis' bizzare writing style except that Juan and co. may not be apart of the album.

http://www.s-e-t-i.com/new-agentsteel-a ... efing.html

I'm pleased that that seems to have been getting updated fairly frequently of late, and more John Cyriis is better John Cyriis generally. Looking forward to whatever they can come up with; if Cyriis is given sufficient freedom he should be able to come up with something sufficiently idiosyncratic, and even if it's just speed metal about aliens it would at least have a fairly personal and individual element to it - and probably remain somewhat off-the-wall as well - rather than just being another, 'Let's write speed metal about aliens and stuff,' Agent Steel record. Given that Holocaust also have a couple of albums in the pipeline, the next year and a bit could well turn out quite productively.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:37 am 

Was hoping the new Paragon was good, but the first song "Iron Will" was pretty generic and lame. "Tornado" is stacking up the same way. Riffs not delivered. Why can't they write songs like this anymore? :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZChbYYAhM

Hmm, I guess it's not as bad as some of their other more recent albums, but some of the riffs sound pretty uninspired/rehashed. Sounds like they're sacrificing a good bit of their riff variability for chugging, going in that look how heavy we are direction.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:30 pm 

2Eagle333 wrote:
WaywardSon wrote:
Anyone pay any attention to Agent Steel/John Cyriis lately? There apparently has been something going on. What, I don't know due to Cyriis' bizzare writing style except that Juan and co. may not be apart of the album.

http://www.s-e-t-i.com/new-agentsteel-a ... efing.html

I'm pleased that that seems to have been getting updated fairly frequently of late, and more John Cyriis is better John Cyriis generally. Looking forward to whatever they can come up with; if Cyriis is given sufficient freedom he should be able to come up with something sufficiently idiosyncratic, and even if it's just speed metal about aliens it would at least have a fairly personal and individual element to it - and probably remain somewhat off-the-wall as well - rather than just being another, 'Let's write speed metal about aliens and stuff,' Agent Steel record. Given that Holocaust also have a couple of albums in the pipeline, the next year and a bit could well turn out quite productively.

I won't believe anything is actually coming out until we get to hear at least a demo track. Cyriis has been setting dates and making claims for years now with nothing to show for it. He seems more interested in arguing about who is the rightful owner of the Agent Steel name than he does in actually doing something with it.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:26 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Was hoping the new Paragon was good, but the first song "Iron Will" was pretty generic and lame. "Tornado" is stacking up the same way. Riffs not delivered. Why can't they write songs like this anymore? :(

Hmm, I guess it's not as bad as some of their other more recent albums, but some of the riffs sound pretty uninspired/rehashed. Sounds like they're sacrificing a good bit of their riff variability for chugging, going in that look how heavy we are direction.

Eh, I really liked what I heard from their new album. Yes, it's no Law of the Blade, but that album is pretty much Paragon's zenith, and I doubt that they'll ever reach it. Force of Destruction is quite enjoyable in itself though, me thinks. You got the catchy, anthemic choruses, the red hot riffs, driving rhythms and Babuschkin's characteristic delivery, and I personally don't need much more than that. I get it though if you don't like it, as it doesn't possess the relentless speed and fury that used to permeate their stuff.

About the whole Agent Steel/John Cyriis thing; you people honestly believe that nutcase will release anything of value? Sure, he's talented (no idea if his vocals stood the test of time, though), but as far as I know, he didn't really have a hand in Agent Steel's songwriting, or at least not in an important way, so unless he partners with decent songwriters, I'm very doubtful about his individual compositional skills.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:47 pm 

Oh man, I just saw that Keith Deen, the vocalist of Holy Terror, died of cancer this month :( That really makes me sad, he was one of my favorite vocalists.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:57 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
About the whole Agent Steel/John Cyriis thing; you people honestly believe that nutcase will release anything of value? Sure, he's talented (no idea if his vocals stood the test of time, though), but as far as I know, he didn't really have a hand in Agent Steel's songwriting, or at least not in an important way, so unless he partners with decent songwriters, I'm very doubtful about his individual compositional skills.

Seriously, go back a few years on the board here and I'm sure me and everyone else were all over his dick about everything, but at this point I'm fucking tired of hearing about him. failsafe straight up said it best above there. He's more caught up in owning the Agent Steel name than ever doing anything with it again. If he ever does, great, it's about time, but I'm moving on and am done caring and waiting.

On another note there though, I wonder who did contribute a lot of the songwriting for the first two? It's obvious Kurt Colfelt had a huge influence with the debut, so the guitars are definitely comparable to Holy Terror when he went to them. From there who knows. I like Bernie Versailles a good bit but I think it's been very obvious in interviews and stuff Cyriis doesn't like him.

And speaking of Holy Terror that definitely sucks about Keith, dang.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:53 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

I think it's fine. The riffs don't sound much different to me than their old stuff quality-wise; they're not as Iron Savior-ish now but I think that just means they have a pinch more originality than they used to. Though Law of the Blade and Dark Legacy will always probably be better, the new one is awesome in its own, fresh way. Just a bunch of kickass songs and energy.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:35 am 

Xlxlx wrote:

If he ever gets anything out, I'm pretty sure it'll be good, yeah. It can't be a coincidence that basically everything he's ever done has been good, including all the little demo bands (Stellar Seed being the latest, from 2002). Besides which, he absolutely did have a hand in Agent Steel's songwriting. "Taken by Force" and "144,000 Gone" were fully written for his previous band, Sceptre, and he brought them to Agent Steel when it was formed. I'm sure he contributed to the rest as well.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:58 am 

Frank Gilchriest told me there will DEFINITELY be new Virgin Steele material come 2013. In fact, not just one album but two!
And I know most of you haven't really been wild about their last two albums but the forthcoming material from all indications is going to be a supreme return to form.
Plus the "Marriage..." albums are going to be re-issued!

:beer: It's going to be the year of STEELE!

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:51 am 

failsafeman wrote:
"Taken by Force" and "144,000 Gone" were fully written for his previous band, Sceptre, and he brought them to Agent Steel when it was formed. I'm sure he contributed to the rest as well.

Ha! Both happen to be my favourite songs on Skeptics Apocalypse.

About those early albums.. Am I the only one here who prefers Unstoppable Force over Skeptics?
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:31 am 

failsafeman about John Cyriis wrote:
If he ever gets anything out, I'm pretty sure it'll be good, yeah. It can't be a coincidence that basically everything he's ever done has been good, including all the little demo bands (Stellar Seed being the latest, from 2002). Besides which, he absolutely did have a hand in Agent Steel's songwriting. "Taken by Force" and "144,000 Gone" were fully written for his previous band, Sceptre, and he brought them to Agent Steel when it was formed. I'm sure he contributed to the rest as well.

Mmmmm, I didn't know that. It does make me less of a skeptic (no pun intended) about his songwriting skills, though not about his word, which as of now, is worth jackshit. I won't be holding my breath for a release of his until, like you say, there's an actual song out.
The_Erlking wrote:
Am I the only one here who prefers Unstoppable Force over Skeptics?

Nope, I prefer Unstoppable Force over Skeptics Apocalypse too. The Day at Guyana is epic :metal:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:09 pm 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
Frank Gilchriest told me there will DEFINITELY be new Virgin Steele material come 2013. In fact, not just one album but two!

Honesty, this sort of stuff has been around ever sine Virgin Steele released their latest. In fact, David spoke about releasing one album a year back then. That means 2 albums were already suppose to be released.

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
And I know most of you haven't really been wild about their last two albums but the forthcoming material from all indications is going to be a supreme return to form.
Plus the "Marriage..." albums are going to be re-issued!

This might be something I can live with. I got the idea David's descriptions of the latest 2 were pretty correct and clear. If a return to form means more riffs, valuable songs, better production and solid vocals (!!!) then consider me interested. Not the latest 2 were awful or something, but they definitely were well pretty flawed. I'd also buy the new re-released album once it comes out.

EDIT: Yeah I know the drummer spoke to you and not David, but since David is the main songwriter I assume he knows what he's talking about.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:54 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Nice! I wasn't really looking for any album in particular though I figured Sadly Never Fore was probably a bit "safer" being shorter than the newest one. Phil Swanson being involved originally caught my eye but then when I found out they had one of the guitar players from Liege Lord I realized moves needed to be made. Hopefully it shows up in the next few days.

The Hand of Doom's Poisonoise is just as good as I remember it being when I was drunk in Chicago. Really primitive stuff, some of the songs probably would garner the title proto- but some others are full-on heavy metal in the vein of 70's Priest and sometimes a more muscular sounding Scorpions. Maybe a bit of Stooges rawness as well. I really think their guitarist is a lost gem though, he rifles off these bluesy, super tasteful yet primitive solos on almost every song...it's rare that a solo makes me stop and take note these days and he had one that floored me on nearly every track. For anyone who hasn't checked them out, do yourself a favor:

The Hand of Doom - Heavy Mad Head

The Hand of Doom - The Meanest Man

(edit: And I think I managed to link two of the songs that DON'T contain the aforementioned amazing soloing prowess. Whatever, these two have my favorite riffing from the album)

Wow...this made my day, Jonpo!

This is so fucking raw and so incredibly PURE!!!!

Tried to find anything else they made...seems they only made one album! :(

-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:11 pm 

I'm really glad you're diggin' 'em! You're right, just the one album, that probably never would have seen the light of day without the internet and SKR. I'd say it's worth grabbing if you're interested in the tunes, I've gotten my moneys worth and haven't even heard Disc 2 yet.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:33 pm 

colin040 wrote:
solid vocals (!!!)

Which I'm pretty convinced is not going to be the case as long as DeFeis sticks around. If he could've done a good vocal job on TBLB, I assume he would've. Sounds to me like the classic DeFeis is gone and isn't coming back.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:44 pm 

Though the vocals are only a slight improvement, some of the bonus tracks on the reissues are a lot better than a good chuck of the stuff from the last two proper albums. I don't mind the proggy songs too much, it's just the lack of energy all around that kills Black Light and most of VOE for me. If they could just get some better production, or get a little more oomph in there, I'd be fine with the stuff they're doing now. Still, I'm always looking forward to more Virgin Steele.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:31 am 

I recently made a post about favorite power metal songs, and as Metantoine noted, it didn't belong there, and this might be the place to do so. Mine are:

Avantasia - The Seven Angels: I loved this one the first time I heard it. Something about the orchestral intro, the super awesome chorus in the first part, the quiet and moving bit at the middle and the melodies at the end of the song always get me.

Gamma Ray - Rebellion in Dreamland: As someone else said, this song might not be your average power metal song, with it's slow melodies and odd song structure. I guess it's something to do with the atmosphere it provokes that I enjoy it so much. it's a unique song by Gamma Ray, nothing ever done by them sounds like this. Also, the second guitar solo is godly.

Virgin Steele - Emalaith: I have to say it, the part between the first chorus and the second (including both) is something special and unmatched, even by VS. Of course the whole song is amazing too.

Blind Guardian - Traveler in Time: I think this song doesn't have the praising it deserves, it's one of the most energetic and fun songs I can think of.

I just wanted to share my love for this genre, does anyone care to share?

Side note, whats up with Defeis voice lately? Live he sounds powerless.

Last edited by Aydross on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:57 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
failsafeman about John Cyriis wrote:

Mmmmm, I didn't know that. It does make me less of a skeptic (no pun intended) about his songwriting skills, though not about his word, which as of now, is worth jackshit. I won't be holding my breath for a release of his until, like you say, there's an actual song out.
The_Erlking wrote:
Am I the only one here who prefers Unstoppable Force over Skeptics?

Nope, I prefer Unstoppable Force over Skeptics Apocalypse too. The Day at Guyana is epic :metal:

I think most prefer Unstoppable actually, but I love both. They're really pretty dang different though, so in a weird way I have a hard time deciding which one I like more.

"Guilty as Charged" is probably one of my top favorites from the debut, love Cyriis on that one.

I still think Black Reign could've potentially been even better than Agent Steel. Arguably a bit more on the USPM side of things though so maybe I'm just biased, but yeah their demo is insanely good.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:28 am 

Guys anybody heard anything from a band called The Regime? Apparently those guys supported Pantera on their Vulgar Display of Power tour but they sound nothing alike. I found an opening track from one of their albums (or as I heard one of two that are on CD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZHbc4SP_N8

This is fuckin' speed metal scorcher! I love the double bass run in that song and the rough vocals - totally fit the song. If more of their stuff is like this I am gonna for this.

PS. Found more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icRawTMwCck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slsPHkeh8LY

This is some badass stuff. Love it!

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:20 am 

Aydross wrote:
Blind Guardian - Traveler in Time: I think this song doesn't have the praising it deserves, it's one of the most energetic and fun songs I can think of.

This is one of my all-time favourite Blind Guardian songs and yeah I tend to agree that for a song that great it's not mentioned very often. This and Lost in the Twilight Hall are easily my two favourites from Tales...
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:27 am 

failsafeman wrote:

Cool riffs, but man the guitar tone sounds like ass.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:47 am 

Aeonblade wrote:
Though the vocals are only a slight improvement, some of the bonus tracks on the reissues are a lot better than a good chuck of the stuff from the last two proper albums. I don't mind the proggy songs too much, it's just the lack of energy all around that kills Black Light and most of VOE for me. If they could just get some better production, or get a little more oomph in there, I'd be fine with the stuff they're doing now. Still, I'm always looking forward to more Virgin Steele.

The bonus tracks sound dull to me, though David Defeis sounds a lot better on ''Silent Sorrow'' than on the other stuff on the album; he actually sounds quite loud despite his occasional high falsetto/yell. Maybe he sounds a bit ponderous but vocally he's not bad after all.

I've been listening to Kamelot lately but I can't say I enjoy them much. Some tracks sound pretty strong (''Silent Goddess rules!'') but in general they're not a band I'd love to listen to.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:14 am 

Could you recommend some very good, outstanding Power Metal bands with a real DARK edge.
Like Morgana Lefay or the more recent Inmoria (I heard Inmoria involved members of Tad Morose, which is a band I like too).
Dark, powerful, lyrical, a good barytone voice, no cheesiness.

PS; I love The Ark, although I don't know how they are labelled, Power or Prog... But The overall sound of that band is candy to my ears.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:39 am 

Some stuff by Tarot, Angel Dust, Dream Evil and Iced Earth has a real "DARK" feel to it. And I could throw in Persuader too.
Check out (if you haven't already)
Crescent Shield
Bloodbound (the ones who also made an album called "Nosferatu")
Arch Nemesis
Mystic Prophecy ( :-P )
Aevum
Powers Court
Seventh One
...and HELSTAR (duh!) makers of the original "Nosferatu". Not that the other one is a remake, but you get my point! THAT IS A HELLUVA RECORD!

-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:58 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
colin040 wrote:
solid vocals (!!!)

Which I'm pretty convinced is not going to be the case as long as DeFeis sticks around. If he could've done a good vocal job on TBLB, I assume he would've. Sounds to me like the classic DeFeis is gone and isn't coming back.

au contraire, he sounds some of the best he has ever been. His vocals on "My Mourning Clothes" from this year's re-issues are strong. David always goes by the "feel". He is into creating suitable textures for the songs than delivering a "powerful" vocal onslaught every damned time (he isn't Hansi after all!) and as such is thoroughly sensitive to timing and placement. Each rise and fall and enunciation reflects a certain way upon the delivery of the story. That level of nitpicking reached full heights around the time of Atreus II and Visions Of Eden and what people fail to get about that album and his performance (both vocal and the keyboards) is how the story and its interpretation called for a more ethereal approach than usual. There was a lot of subtlety to detail and a use of Gothic nuances to cloud feeling yet keep it open at the same time.

Of all his works, "Invictus" is the one with a more singular vocal approach but that is because that album is loaded with so much fury and indignation and asserts defiance.

I am looking forward to the album. It seems I can always trust Virgin Steele to take the wheel and drive us off to some land and the journey is always amazing and the destination is always.....\
FUCK IT! I just pulled that one out of my ass and it didn't come all the way out!

Point is, the new albums will be something! You can take that to the bank!

-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:06 pm 

His vocals on VoE were pretty good, but on Black Light Bacchanalia they were weak. But really both albums suffer from a pretty terrible production job...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374 ... 624  Next