Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:13 pm 

Made a topic in the main forum, but Riot's new singer is the guy from Burning Starr, Jack Starr from Virgin Steele's current band. They're also now known as Riot V.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:10 am 

Empyreal I wouldn't call most of the singing in those bands deep. Yeah they're using a lot of grit and distortion but guys like Russell Allen, Urban Breed, and Tim Aymar are still singing really high in almost every song.

Thaurorod when they had Vladimir Lumi had pretty deep vocals for a power metal band, as does Falconer but I'm not sure if either of those are in the style you're looking for Karlabos.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:31 am 

Metallic Shock wrote:
Empyreal I wouldn't call most of the singing in those bands deep. Yeah they're using a lot of grit and distortion but guys like Russell Allen, Urban Breed, and Tim Aymar are still singing really high in almost every song.

I guess, but if most people ask for deep vocals that's what they want. Unless I'm just totally wrong.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:45 am 

To be fair, there's a serious lack of really deep vocalists in metal, but the stuff that you linked is deeper than the norm and certainly what everyone tends to refer to as deeper. I recently realized this after being exposed to, uh, Phantom of the Opera. The only really deep vocalist who comes to mind immediately is Peter Steele, but that's not exactly appropriate of a recommendation for this thread :P I'd also be interested in some sort of traditional metal with a really deep singer, though.

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:38 am 

Fans of Savage Grace and power/speed in general might want to check this out.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Masters_of_Disguise/Back_with_a_Vengeance/393986 Masters of Disguise
And I just listened to the new Tad Morose...dang, this is a lot better than I thought it would be. Nice surprise!

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:14 pm 

I don't think I've ever heard a legitimate baritone in a trad/power metal band. Even the new Solstice singer is a tenor, even though his timbre is very deep.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:17 pm 

Mathias Blad isn't a baritone? He stays in the lower register most of the time and it sounds a lot more natural for him...not super up on music theory though so he could be a tenor.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:39 pm 

I think Blad was being omitted because he was referring to "Trad/power metal" whereas Falconer are more of a folk/power metal hybrid. There are definitely baritones in power metal but they still tend to sing in the tenor range most often. As far as deepness goes I think it's hard to beat Vladimir Lumi whom I mentioned earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdpLv83CenE
Some of the lowest/deepest lead vocals I've heard in a power metal song. Granted since it's very euro power in style it may not be the preference of many here.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:30 pm 

Aydross wrote:
Karlabos check out Persuader If you haven't. I'ts power metal, but with a singer that sounds he's gonna lose it anytime. Turn to Dust.

Sounds interesting. Gonna look further upon them.

Zelkiiro wrote:
Is it time for me to plug Triosphere and Beautiful Sin again? :V

Well sometimes the chicks do sound good.. But sometimes... How can I put it? Sounds like they are trying to do male-like high pitched vocals but somehow not succeeding due to the genre difference =P (butheydontgetangrythatsjustmyopinion)

Empyreal wrote:
Plenty of power metal bands have deep vocals...
(gave the list)

So.. As Metallic Shock said, most of them still sound high. But, some of them were actually intriguing.
Namely Simphony X and Angel Dust, probably because of the grit and distortions, I guess you were right, I like'em distorted after all (=

As for Thaurorod's and Falconer's vocalists, they are indeed deeper, but I'm not digging them very much.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Also if someone would know of a vocalist not singing with his natural voice with distortions, but making a weird vocal on purpose, I would be grateful to know.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:09 pm 

What about Tim Baker from Cirith Ungol? Dude had a pretty weird style. Check out the song Black Machine.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:34 am 

^Hmm. But not much of power/melodic right?
Oh, right, my bad. I forgot to write again that I wanted power metal w/weird vocals. So...
In case you didn't see my previous post, that's what I meant with my last lines up there.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:44 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
^Hmm. But not much of power/melodic right?
Oh, right, my bad. I forgot to write again that I wanted power metal w/weird vocals. So...
In case you didn't see my previous post, that's what I meant with my last lines up there.

Yeah, it's not power metal whatsoever. I figured an off recommendation is better to receive than nothing. Sorry, though :c

What about Bob Mitchell on Attacker's debut? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mGobLlWVaY

Not quite as out there, but still sort of odd. I feel like you'd probably be hard pressed to find anything too strange in a traditional genre like power metal.

Or perhaps the late Dave Halliday on Hell's demos? There are remastered versions of the demo stuff around that are much more audible. And it's heavy metal, not power metal.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:43 pm 

Anyone else know any bands playing stuff along the lines of this Othyrworld track?

It's just got a weird mix of qualities - some pretty aggressive thrashy type riffs, sort of a despair-y occult vibe (especially evident in the solos), those almost Alice in Chains-ish acoustic parts (with the ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhhhhhhhh's)...having wonderful bass lines like this has would be a big bonus. The rest of the album is good, too, but this song jumps out at me as being extra special. Feel free to recommend fairly obvious stuff as I'm still a total n00b at H/P/S.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:29 am 

Fates Warning ATG maybe?

Too hard to say, nothing quite like the amazingness that is Othyrworld.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:55 am 

Hmm, the acoustic parts remind me more of Blind Guardian, or maybe Demons & Wizards. The first D&W album is actually quite good if you like vocal-centric, otherworldly power/thrash. Schaffer's best album I'd say, mostly because Hansi's vocal lines are awesome (and maybe he had a hand in the riffs as well? because they're better than usual). The second album is still better than most Iced Earth, but not that great. That song reminds me a bit of "Dorian", though - check that tune and see if you like it. Also a few of the tunes on "At the Edge of Time" come to mind - "Tanelorn (Into the Void)" and "Control the Divine" in particular.

Also gives me a similar vibe to Tramontane. Check out their first two demos, great stuff. I always thought they had a sort of similarly "cosmic" feel, although to a much lesser extent. Another one that's kind of a long shot is Chozzen Phate, not terribly similar but they give me some of the same vibes, especially with the slight tech-thrash influence - anyway, try out their '95 demo. Those are the closest things I can think of.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:59 pm 

This "Dorian" song is...ok. I like the vocals but the guitar sounds thin and horrible and has really boring riffing. The spacey center part was ok, mainly as an escape from the really lifeless riffing. I've heard a decent amount of Iced Earth material but Schaffer's guitar playing just bores me to tears so I dunno how much I wanna pursue one of his side projects, heh.

I've only heard The Spectre Within by FW so far, and have plans to check out Awaken the Guardian so I'll get to that one.

I'm listening to some Tramontane material right now and this is INCREDIBLE. Those haunted, wavering vocals are brilliant. Great riffing and leads, too.

Now for Chozzen Phate...this isn't doing as much for me. Those vocals! o.O

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:09 pm 

Hey Batjim, have you ever listened to Seasons of the Wolf? No, no of course you haven't, no one has. The boys here just put me onto them recently. They have a lot more pulpy feel than Othyrworld but there have been moments from both of their middle albums that made me think Othyrworld. I'm sorry, I don't have specific song examples.

Check out a few tracks from Lost in Hell and also Nocturnal Revelations. They're a very unique band, maybe you'll find something there even if it's unrelated to Othyrworld. They definitely have a "futuristic" vibe after the debut. Ignore the rough band name and far worse album arts, these guys are the definition of indie!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:17 pm 

Guys, can we talk about Blaze for a minute? Do any of you have this? Maybe it's another case of me being extremely late to the party.

These guys are excellent, where did they even come from? Every song on the debut sounds so surefooted and veteran, yet they've got the fire of a debut band. They have zero atmosphere but every track stands alone on pure songwriting prowess. Nothing but big hard-rocking riffs and bellowed vocals. Great production as well, no modern shit. The whole album just melts away, so so hard to turn off. Wondering if anyone else had stumbled on this little curio from Japanland...

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:31 pm 

I've been listening to some albums from this year, and I have to say, heavy/power/speed has been getting progressively better. 2013 is probably the best year for it since '88, and I don't say that lightly. Rocka_Rollas has put out two solid album's this year with Blazon Stone's Return to Port Royal and of course Rocka Rollas' Metal Strikes Back. I actually think I prefer the former, the vocalist is pretty crazy, and the vocalist is manic as hell, plus the closer is a fucking beast of a song. There's a couple of clunkers here but most of the album is fucking fantastic. The Rocka Rollas album is solid, every song is good but nothing really amazing, still definitely worthwhile though.

Also, for those into German power metal with some balls (Grave Digger, Paragon, Iron Savior, etc.), check out Stainless Steel's comeback album. I know failsafeman and DRD like their older stuff, maybe some other people like it as well - and their comeback is pretty solid. Heavy/power metal, not terribly original and it's very obviously German but it's got above average songwriting and a good singer. Check it out!

Of course there's the top-tier stuff like Satan, Satan's Host, and In Solitude that have come out this year as well. Not to mention Manilla Road, Attacker, Argus, and Battle Ram. 2013 is shaping up to be a damn good year! Hopefully next year will be even better, with hopefully releases from Cauldron Born, Briton Rites, and Manilla Road. Happy to be a metalhead \m/

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:32 am 

Attacker's comeback is a shoe in for my favorites of the year. Bobby "Leather Lungs" Lucas is such a great singer and I am such a huge fan and I wanted him to be apart of a credible USPM band and the resulting album has been fantastic. I'm also still rocking out heavily to Vicious Rumors' new album.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:43 am 

Shit, I need to hear the new Attacker!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:57 pm 

hey metantoine or anyone are there any bands like tales of medusa?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:30 pm 

Tales of Medusa take a lot of influence from Manilla Road, check out Crystal Logic if you haven't heard them yet. Some other bands in a similar vein include Longings Past, Battle Ram, Ageless Wisdom, and Graven Rite/Eternal Champion. Also Solitary Sabred remind me a bit of Tales of Medusa, check out their album. Maybe also check Dark Age, who have a song from which Tales of Medusa took their name.

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:46 pm 

Yeah I know manilla road. I'll look into all those other bands though thanks.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:56 pm 

So, Rick Mythiasin posted a few days ago on his facebook page that he was starting a new project with a "well-known guitarist in the heavy/power/speed metal scene." I guessed that it would either be Dan DeLucie or Toby Knapp, as both live in LA.

Well, turns out it's Toby Knapp.

Can't wait to hear what comes of this (if it comes to fruition, of course).

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:29 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
So, Rick Mythiasin posted a few days ago on his facebook page that he was starting a new project with a "well-known guitarist in the heavy/power/speed metal scene." I guessed that it would either be Dan DeLucie or Toby Knapp, as both live in LA.
Well, turns out it's Toby Knapp.

Why? What about Steel Prophet? I worry too easily these days.

Onward was good though, let's see how this works out.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:57 pm 

Opus wrote:
Why? What about Steel Prophet? I worry too easily these days.

No effect on Steel Prophet at all.

I don't really care for Steel Prophet, though, so I'm really psyched to hear Mythiasin in a promising project.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:23 pm 

I still wonder why his gig with AGENT STEEL didn't work out. On paper, it seemed ideal.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:51 am 

Rick should just use Toby and Dan. Imagine the greatness that would ensue.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:41 pm 

Steel Prophet were the "go get a beer" band at Keep it True this year.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:10 pm 

What's with all the Steel Prophet hate all of a sudden?
I can't keep up with what's trendy and what to snub. Where do I sign up for the newsletter?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:45 pm 

"Dark Hallucinations" was easily one of the best power metal albums of that era IMHO. His voice was/is top-notch. Amazing Arch FATES WARNING cover on that one.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:24 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
"Dark Hallucinations" was easily one of the best power metal albums of that era IMHO. His voice was/is top-notch. Amazing Arch FATES WARNING cover on that one.

Mythiasin is literally the only thing I enjoy about post-demo-era Steel Prophet. The songwriting is just meandering and directionless, and none of the riffs have any oomph at all. Mythiasin is really fucking good, but he alone just isn't enough.

AgentSteel_Razor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:25 am 

Steel Prophet was always an average band for me.
Looking forward to the Rick Mythiasin project though.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:50 pm 

Singer from MAGIC CIRCLE does Obsession, Omen, Heavy Load and early Manilla Road in this new band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZUqFukI4fM
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:17 am 

You bastard, Element. I came here to post that.

\m/
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 am 

That Stone dagger demo is highly recommended! Oh and Magic Circle rules as well.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:45 pm 

Any of you dudes checked out the new Iron Dogs yet?! More quality speed metal from these Canadian maniacs!

http://irondogs.bandcamp.com/
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:36 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Any of you dudes checked out the new Iron Dogs yet?! More quality speed metal from these Canadian maniacs!

http://irondogs.bandcamp.com/

Awesome stuff. Very nwobhm in sound, if not faster, reminds me of Vigilance (Slovenia). Great artwork too haha :love:

Man_who_lost_the_sun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:56 pm 

I've been quite busy lately and I haven't kept up with the scene the last few years. Anyone want to direct me to some MUST HAVE Heavy/Power/Speed of the last 2-3 years? I recently got Life Sentence and I can't believe Satan's still got it 30 years later.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420, 421 ... 625  Next