Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:22 pm 

Axel Rudi Pell - The Crest

This album is the holy-shit-why-did-I-miss-this in Axel Rudi Pell's discography. "Dreaming Dead" is insanely amazing.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Sunslash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:24 pm 

Someone in Germany should hire a new plumber, because the leaks from that country keep on appearing. This week alone, I've seen the new Axel Rudi Pell, Accept and now the first Unisonic (Hansen + Kiske) on the net.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:58 am 

Currently listening to Fates Warning's ''The Ivory Gate of Dreams''. Some excellent riffing going on here.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:02 pm 

Been digging VS's "House of Atreus I" lately, this is one band that I never really get tired of, choice cuts like "Kingdom of the Fearless", "Through the Ring of Fire" and "Flames of the Black Star" never get old. On that note, what's the general opinion on the latest two albums? I know the newest one hasn't gotten much praise, but are there any specific songs on it worth hearing? How about on Visions of Eden?

So it looks like I'm definitely going to WoM. Can't fucking wait for it.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:10 pm 

VoE lacks some actual highlights I think but in general aint too bad, even if it's quite flawed; the vocals lack a bit sometimes, the drums aren't real, production is distant and the songwriting is quite not as strong as on the previous albums.

VS most recent is pretty cool but the vocals sound too weak. Some people can't stand it but the only thing that really bothers me are the vocals.

I've sent a vocal teacher on youtube this clip of ''Crown of Glory'' and asked how to do the half sing/shriek thing. Response that I got back was that the technique was wrong which result into a disappearing mid-range voice so I guess it's no surprise not much of that is evident these days live. :(

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:06 pm 

"Visions of Eden" had some really great moments. "Immortal I Stand", "Adorned With the Rising Cobra", and "Bonedust" are all quite solid, but they drag at some parts. I do find that tip from your singing teacher interesting though, because it seems to be accurate seeing where his voice is now.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:22 pm 

Heh it's not my vocal teacher though.

Anyway it's really sad...I didn't get that impression of a wrong singing technique at all and even live I get the idea that David is still capable but restrains far too often.

Speaking of Virgin Steele, I'm wondering if we'll hear about any new material soon. 2011 didn't bring anything new by them but I hope this year will.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:15 pm 

I have come to the conclusion that Angel Dust's Border of Reality, Bleed, and Enlighten the Darkness are some of the best power metal records ever created, as they combine pretty much every great characteristic that metal (and non-metal) music can have; ethereal beauty, crushing heaviness, both subtlety and bombast aplenty and intricate, flawless songwriting. Thanks a ton for mentioning this band so often Empyreal, as I pretty much discovered them thanks to you.

And Mercury Tide is pretty rad too.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:16 pm 

I actually just turned on Bleed myself, that album is really growing on me these days.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:07 pm 

Well, finally listening to some of them again (Border of Reality)... and this is definitely fitting the mood. Gonna have to spend more time with this stuff. Not sure if I've heard "Enlighten the Darkness" though.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:53 am 

Honestly, Angel Dust's album with S.L. Coe is really good. I guess I'll give the newer stuff a go at some point. I expect it to be a totally different beast, though.

Seriously, though, the 80s stuff rocks: featuring a young DeathRiderDoom on vocals

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:11 pm 

I like that album a good bit too. The debut is only good for a few tracks, but yeah the second album isn't bad.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:26 pm 

Anyone listen to Unisonic's debut? Despite being listed as Power/Speed on M-A, it's really more along the lines of Pink Cream 69 than Gamma Ray. If you go into it with that in mind, it's a fun poppy album. I expect some of the hardliners in this thread will hate it, but if you like Kiske's voice, it's a good showcase.

Arannya
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:49 pm 

There's nothing wrong with a little poppy metal goodness. Can't stop listening to "My Sanctuary". It has taken over the niche Alter Bridge's "Broken Wings" had earlier occupied in my listening habits.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:32 am 

From Virgin Steele's facebook:

Quote:
Yes a new album is in the works. I have no details on it yet as they are being guarded about it, but I can tell you that I have heard the new bonus material for the next re-issue, and that will contain some very cool new songs and some really interesting covers. I will post more details later in the month. The next re-issue might actually be out in June, so it will need to be completed shortly. Therefore, I will most likely be able to tell you more quite soon. Oh yes the next re-issue will be Life Among The Ruins, and again the bonus material that I heard is very cool.

Thanks to All of you! By The Gods & Goddesses,

Mark

Bonus material off the Life Among the Ruins album? I wonder what that will be like. :lol: New album seems cool though even if I have no idea of what to expect.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:51 pm 

So any new Venom/Motorhead worship, or metal punk bands you guys are listening to? Just ordered The Drunks' full length LP. Guess Reed from Speedwolf called it right declaring the band as Texas' best kept secret. Awesome stuff.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:39 pm 

Midnight and Trench Hell is all I really listen to for that.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:21 pm 

Hopefully VS are done joking around.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:41 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
So any new Venom/Motorhead worship, or metal punk bands you guys are listening to? Just ordered The Drunks' full length LP. Guess Reed from Speedwolf called it right declaring the band as Texas' best kept secret. Awesome stuff.

"New" is kind of stretching it but have you heard Chapel (ca)? Their demo is like 3-4 years old now but there's a sample up for their (perpetually) upcoming follow-up. Both are maybe the best of the style I've heard

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:08 am 

Every VS release with Pursino (excluding "Life Among the Ruins") had at least a few excellent songs...hoping this one follows the trend. If we get even one song that stands up to classic VS, I will probably cream myself.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:54 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:

"New" is kind of stretching it but have you heard Chapel (ca)? Their demo is like 3-4 years old now but there's a sample up for their (perpetually) upcoming follow-up. Both are maybe the best of the style I've heard

Man, love Chapels demo. You are right, they definitely have some of the catchiest instrumentation in the style. I didn't know about the album sample though so I will go do some hunting.

Cheers

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
PrinceRhaegar wrote:
So I've been listening to a shitload of bands that sit on the border between hard rock and metal, like KISS, Skid Row, Steelheart, W.A.S.P., etc. and I want more bands in that vein. Bands who don't try to be too serious or deep but instead focus on more catchy music that just FUCKING ROCKS. So what other great bands besides the obvious are out there that just scream "ROCK AND ROLL"?

Krokus (Swiss), TSA (Poland), Arrow (Swedish), Cacumen (Germany), Tygers of Pan Tang (UK), Riff Raff (Finland), Divlje Jagode (Bosnia), Kirka (Finland), Seikima II (Japan), Samson (UK), Avalon (Holand), Kraken (Colombia)

Wow, thanks for all the recommendations guys! On another note, does anyone know any heavy metal revival bands that don't suck? I mean they don't exactly have to be reinventing the wheel, but are there any of these modern bands that play kickass somewhat original heavy metal that doesn't just rehash what Maiden and Saxon did 30 years ago? *cough* White Wizzard *cough*
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:34 am 

Can't really think of much, most of the new metal acts in the last few years have indeed been trying to recreate the 80's, but then again, it is a revival. You could try Vulvagun, these guys sound pretty modern. Also, Antiquus is fucking incredble, but it may be too close to it's 80's influences.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:04 am 

Antiquus is definitely amazing.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:32 am 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the recommendations guys! On another note, does anyone know any heavy metal revival bands that don't suck?

Christian Mistress do a really good job of sounding old school without sounding like a cringe-worthy parody. I've only heard Agony & Opium so I can't speak for the newer full-length. Great female vocals (not the soaring epic kind...we're talking 5 packs a day here) over some late-70s inspired riffing. For some reason these guys always remind me of 70s Priest.

Volture have put out an EP that just floors me every time I throw it on. Nothing but pure unbridled energy here. Everything sounds circa 1984 but the songs are a bit more ambitious structurally. The vocalist is WAAAAAY over the top. He has a lot of different styles he throws down and I love all of them. This band manages to hit every good metal cliche without stretching any of them too far.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:53 am 

Agreed, Xeoged, I wish there was some news about the band though. I guess they're on hold indefinitely or broken up now.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:19 pm 

Anything else similar to them you think? I rarely like their kind of sound but damn, they do everything right. Prog done well.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:40 pm 

ME AND THE BOYS
WE LOVE THAT NOISE

:hail: :metal: :headbang: :np:

Seriously though

:gay:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:44 pm 

If you're looking for modern kick ass heavy metal, try Huntress on for size: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_SKELDVRJDY Man this shit rules. Like a heavier, meaner Battle Beast.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:31 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
Anyone listen to Unisonic's debut? Despite being listed as Power/Speed on M-A, it's really more along the lines of Pink Cream 69 than Gamma Ray. If you go into it with that in mind, it's a fun poppy album. I expect some of the hardliners in this thread will hate it, but if you like Kiske's voice, it's a good showcase.

I've had the chance to hear it now, and I like it a lot. Very cool power metal-influenced but it's essentially hard rock. Still on the German power / heavy side, and the songs are very catchy. The section before the final chorus in "My Sanctuary" is hypnotic and addicting - for something so simple!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
If you're looking for modern kick ass heavy metal, try Huntress on for size: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_SKELDVRJDY Man this shit rules. Like a heavier, meaner Battle Beast.

I saw that this band was playing at Paganfest, and I'm going to the Dallas date, but I thought it was universally accepted that they suck (hadn't listened). Yeah, I guess this isn't too bad. I dunno about being better than Battle Beast, but they're at least not the shittrain I was expecting.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:53 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Anything else similar to them you think? I rarely like their kind of sound but damn, they do everything right. Prog done well.

I wish I could say. I just don't know enough about power metal bands to think of one, though. Crimson Glory kind of reminds me of them.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:21 am 

Xeogred wrote:

Just based on what I heard on YouTube, I'm reminded a bit of Isen Torr, but you know them already. Damn, this is some good stuff. Why aren't these guys more popular?

Been listening to "Visions of Eden" there's definitely some worthwhile songs here, although it's not as consistent as the classic albums.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:28 am 

I'm back. Kinda. I bet you guys missed me, and don't you dare try to say you didn't, because that would be lying and lying is bad.

A thunderstorm on Friday fried my modem and my network card, so I got the former replaced and will replace the latter soon (probably today). Borrowing my sister's laptop in the meantime.

But soon, I shall be back to my old ways. Once I finish my run of Accept, I'll have to check out Antiquus, too.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:32 pm 

Antiquus has a new album out, haven't heard it yet.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/in-the ... d486115550

http://www.bloodredmetalheads.com/phpbb ... 2&start=20
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:45 pm 

Six Six Sixty Nine, copulation with a corpse...... Covens first album is destroying me today. just plain old dirty, and catchy as fuck power thrash. :headbang:

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:40 pm 

"Ship of Fools" by Vicious Rumors reminds me of early Kamelot (VR's self-titled precedes Kamelot's first album, but I'm saying it that way because I heard Kamelot before I heard VR's S/T).

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:03 pm 

Element_man wrote:

The cover art looks stupid as hell, but the brief clips I heard sound quite good...it's the same lineup as the previous (awesome) album, so I guess I ought to give them the benefit of the doubt.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:44 pm 

Some of the recent Running Wild talk got me in the mood to revisit some of their stuff. ''The Battle for Waterloo'' and ''The Ghost'' are pretty damn cool.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:25 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Element_man wrote:

The cover art looks stupid as hell, but the brief clips I heard sound quite good...it's the same lineup as the previous (awesome) album, so I guess I ought to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Looks very far apart from the last one, like a punk or old rap album cover. I wonder if it's another concept album? It may be the second album I'm forced to buy from itunes.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318 ... 625  Next