Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:10 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Communic's Waves of Visual Decay might be my favorite modern prog metal album. Prog and prog/power. Everything about it is so good, drumming, riffs, songwriting dynamics, vocal melodies. I should take a closer look at the lyrics.

Yeah, I love Communic and I feel they're pretty underrated here and everywhere else. I own their 4 albums but my personal favorite might be Payment of Existence. Long intricate songs without any fluff and over technicality. I think they have one album planned for 2017, it's been a while now.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:46 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
Modern Manilla Road bores me to tears. The production is pretty terrible on all of the recent albums, too.

All of the old ones, too :lol:

Nah, I really dig the sound on Open the Gates, and Crystal Logic sounds better than the modern stuff to my ears. The Deluge is super fucking wonky-sounding, though.

Nahsil wrote:
Communic's Waves of Visual Decay might be my favorite modern prog metal album. Prog and prog/power. Everything about it is so good, drumming, riffs, songwriting dynamics, vocal melodies. I should take a closer look at the lyrics.

Nothing will ever top ARK's Burn the Sun, for me. Listened to it again the other day - it's relentlessly creative, catchy, and emotionally powerful at times (holy fuck, Waking Hour). Really close to a perfect album, I think.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:25 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

Yeah, I love Communic and I feel they're pretty underrated here and everywhere else. I own their 4 albums but my personal favorite might be Payment of Existence. Long intricate songs without any fluff and over technicality. I think they have one album planned for 2017, it's been a while now.

I was really unimpressed/let down by Payment when it came out, but haven't heard it in many years, may hafta give it another spin. They're definitely underrated I think. Never liked the Nevermore comparisons either, totally different projects.

Can't remember if I've heard Ark but I'll check that out!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:47 am 

Mystification has one of their best (read: most fitting) sounds I think, production-wise. I would like to hear the original version that they were so displeased with. I guess maybe recording your heavy metal album in the same studio that Al Green used isn't like...genius? Could have produced something neat though.

I'm also completely smitten with that wonked out guitar tone on Courts of Chaos. It sounds almost digitally fuzzy somehow? It REALLY works on a few of the tunes though, especially those bright-ringing stately riffs in the title track.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:04 pm 

So I found this epic power metal band Lavos Beckon (even their name is awesome!), and they play really ambitious power/thrash with some progressive tinges. It's really weird stuff, it's got some modern influences (in other words: Jonpo, I'm pretty sure you won't like this), like it uses stop-start riffs but in a very different way than groove or metalcore or whatever genre uses those the most (I kind of lump all that shit together at this point). The riffs are pretty repetitive, but strongly in the USPM camp, there's no europower to be found here. Reminds me a little of Antiquus (the vocalist especially), except a little thrashier than In the Land of the Blind and somewhat less progressive, too. (Oh yeah, they also have songs about Wheel of Time, but I'm pretty sure none of the other USPM bros will care about that). Also, it's from...the Phillipines? Complete diamond in the rough. Check it out!

EDIT: This one's probably their best song after giving it time to sink in:

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Last edited by Jophelerx on Wed May 24, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:31 am 

Timeless Miracle are still at it! They released a 2-minute clip from "Voices of the Past"!! IT'S HAPPENING, BOYS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPNaL-mtjrI

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:29 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Timeless Miracle are still at it! They released a 2-minute clip from "Voices of the Past"!! IT'S HAPPENING, BOYS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPNaL-mtjrI

:nods:

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:39 am 

I gave those two Lavos Beckon tunes an honest shot, but that super-modern, semi-chuggy riffing style actively annoys me. I liked the oddball vocals quite a bit though.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:05 am 

I didn't. :lol:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:23 pm 

You guys have any leads on a distro that still has LP copies of Virtue's We Stand to Fight re-issue? It's getting fucking pricey on discogs and I keep thinking there must be some webstore somewhere that isn't completely sold out.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:42 pm 

TBH I always found Virtue overrated. They blow away most NWOBHM demo-only acts in terms of musicianship, flashiness, and production, and that tricks a lot of people, but once you get down to the nitty-gritty the songwriting is rough at best. Sloppy transitions and poor flow. I'll take airtight songwriting with bad production and sloppy playing any day of the week.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:26 am 

I think I have found the band with the largest bad name/cover art to great music ratio. Dream Tröll!
It's so hard to take that cover seriously, but they play plain heavy metal with quite a timeless sound and just a pinch of NWOBHM.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:22 pm 

that's a great cover! What are you talking about!?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:33 pm 

Whether you like it or not, you have to admit it's about the most generic heavy/power metal cover in existence.

macmoney wrote:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:24 pm 

Mehh I think it's great :D

The production on Heathen's comeback album isn't bothering me as much as it did when it came out. Solid stuff.

on another note I'm really sad that Grand Magus didn't keep making crushing material like Iron Will.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:38 am 

I've been watching youtubes from Up the Hammers and holy shit, the Cirith Ungol show must have been very fucking special. Everyone says the sound was brilliant, the crowd is obviously hotter than the previous two gigs. Tim Baker is a god. The good news is that a Cirith Ungol DVD is scheduled to come out of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7nprXGSe8o

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:11 pm 

Yeah I saw them at Frost & Fire and it was pretty wild. The whole band sounded really great and played just about everything I wanted to hear. Only missing "Edge of a Knife". Great festival; highly recommended for anyone in this thread willing/able to make the trip. First year was a lot of fun too.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:03 pm 

NEW PHARAOH ALBUM NEXT YEAR.

This warrants all of the capital letters.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:09 pm 

Pharaoh is one of those bands that just seems to be extremely polarizing, either someone's a huge fan of them or they think it's not good at all. I'm in the latter camp, for the most part. "Bury the Light" especially just put me to sleep, easily their worst album to date.

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:36 pm 

Pharaoh's last two albums are some of my favorites since the 80s in heavy metal, probably top 5 for me actually. Just out of this world songwriting and musicianship, plus a huge amount of real intensity and emotion often absent from other techy bands like that. I don't think there's really anything I'd change about them.

New album will hopefully also be great... been a long time now, and I hope Aymar's health situation has been resolved or will be by the time they're ready to record.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:42 pm 

Bury the Light was a good album. Never found their previous material very interesting. They got better with each release so hopefully they will continue to do so.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:36 pm 

If they can keep themselves focused and straightforward like they are on songs like "Fighting" and "By the Night Sky," they'll be unstoppable.

Last thing I need from 2017 is yet another power metal album that should've been great but ended up being full of middling meandering bullshit. I mean, how fucking hard is it to write a simple, no-frills song anymore? Jesus Christ! Goddammit, Soulspell and MindMaze, quit being so fucking noodly!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:26 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
If they can keep themselves focused and straightforward like they are on songs like "Fighting" and "By the Night Sky," they'll be unstoppable.

Last thing I need from 2017 is yet another power metal album that should've been great but ended up being full of middling meandering bullshit. I mean, how fucking hard is it to write a simple, no-frills song anymore? Jesus Christ! Goddammit, Soulspell and MindMaze, quit being so fucking noodly!

Haven't heard those ones you mentioned, but Pharaoh are great because they do much more than those simplistic songs. They write tremendous melodic constructs.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:00 am 

The Longest Night is a masterpiece for me, haven't appreciated everything else they've done.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:59 am 

I could never get into Pharaoh.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:10 pm 

Pharaoh is super good! great news.
Bury the Light I liked a lot too. "Graveyard of Empires" is a top tier metal song for me.

I just wished they had a different vocalist. For some reason I don't like this guys voice that much. But I don't mind that much when the music is actually good.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:08 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
The Longest Night is a masterpiece for me, haven't appreciated everything else they've done.

Basically my feeling, too, though I enjoy spots of the debut (Never, Not Again is pretty fucking cool) and Be Gone, despite the inconsistency. Can't stand Bury the Light, though.

Zelkiiro wrote:

This is the crucial point. "Meandering bullshit" is exactly how I'd describe Bury the Light. It's not necessarily that the songs are complex - it's that they're complex without any reason to be so. The complexity doesn't build to anything.

Not sure how I feel about the idea of a new album, especially if the band's creative trajectory continues the way it has been going. I'll probably give it a listen, and probably won't care for it.

Last edited by Oblarg on Wed May 31, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:10 pm 

I think The Longest Night is very well done but it isn't as good as Be Gone or Bury the Light - a few songs just aren't the kind of melodic mastery and songwriting that they'd get to later, and come off a bit too simple for a band of their caliber to me I guess.

And I dunno, I think every song on Be Gone and BtL has a purpose and builds to something which the band executed like they intended to - no fat, no bullshit. I don't hear any meandering or pointless parts at all.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:50 pm 

The Longest Night was my go-to for quite a while, but eventually I branched out and absolutely fell in love with Be Gone. I like the debut more than most, as well.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:58 pm 

Only Pharaoh song I've enjoyed to date was "Fighting", but I thought that one was great.

charles_ryder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:50 am 

Please recommend me band similar with the Finnish VIIKATE. I know their style definits like "rautalanka"...

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:22 pm 

Kotiteollisuus
This video should be the wikipedia entry for "Finland".

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:47 pm 

^I like them! Thanks for posting.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:21 pm 

They remind me a bit of Miriam, which Charles might also like:

charles_ryder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:00 am 

Oh thank you friends! Viikate is a geat band!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:50 am 

charles_ryder wrote:
Please recommend me band similar with the Finnish VIIKATE. I know their style definits like "rautalanka"...

you wont find any metal bands similar to viikate, you will have to go back and dig up "rock" bands such as The Shadows, The Ventures and afaik Laika & the Cosmonauts are rautalanka too.

charles_ryder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:07 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
you wont find any metal bands similar to viikate, you will have to go back and dig up "rock" bands such as The Shadows, The Ventures and afaik Laika & the Cosmonauts are rautalanka too.

Do you mean the guitar surf?

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:07 pm 

No one crucify me please, but I've been neglecting Edguy and Blind Guardian forever; I have none of their albums, I don't know anything of the politics, lineup changes, sound direction, nothing. I'm finally looking to get into them both, so I wanna know what your favorite and least favorite albums are, and which make good jumping-on points?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:32 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
No one crucify me please, but I've been neglecting Edguy and Blind Guardian forever; I have none of their albums, I don't know anything of the politics, lineup changes, sound direction, nothing. I'm finally looking to get into them both, so I wanna know what your favorite and least favorite albums are, and which make good jumping-on points?

Best Edguy albums: Theater of Salvation, Mandrake, Hellfire Club, Tinnitus Sanctus, Space Police

Best Blind Guardian albums: Tales from the Twilight World, Somewhere Far Beyond, Imaginations from the Other Side, the Memories of a Time to Come compilation album

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:10 pm 

Best Edguy album is Age of the Joker, particularly if you like more old 80s style metal. Hellfire Club or Mandrake is the best jumping on point though.

Blind Guardian, the ones I go back to the most these days are Imaginations from the Other Side and Beyond the Red Mirror.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 549, 550, 551, 552, 553, 554, 555 ... 624  Next