Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:06 am 

Way too much Kiske/Helloween discussion in here. Let's get back to real metal :P

Like how good Enforcer's new one is.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 am 

failsafeman wrote:
LegendMaker wrote:
@failsafeman: Come on, since when does being a dick, even an anti-metal one, cancel out the greatness someone offered in the past? No matter how much Tate deserves to choke on his own ego right now, "Queen of the Reich" stands unscathed. To me, so does "March of Time".

I never said it canceled out the greatness. I meant it's hard to see someone whose early career I have so much respect for pissing all over their legacy. Kiske did the same thing...except I think his legacy sucks, so it makes me feel good instead of bad.

Yeah. I was never impressed with Kiske's vocal performance. Not when I heard the Keepers albums, and certainly not the new stuff. It's listenable, and fun to put on once in a while, but I don't think he's nearly as good as some say he is. Tate is a million times better, and that's coming from someone who hasn't even listened all that much to Queensryche.

One thing I could use to compare Kiske and Deris is the precision. When Deris wants to hit a note (let's say a hig hone), he goes for it, and hits precisely where he wants to. Kiske however, uses some weird and weak sounding falsetto that doesn't even make the shivers flow when he hits a high note, and nowdays, it's all overshadowed by that god awful vibrato of his.

This is of course only my opinion, but I would say there's some facts to it.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:18 pm 

LegendMaker about Santa choruses wrote:
Well, for many years, I was very very big on EuroPM in general and Helloween/Gamma Ray in particular, but there was always an insane number of almost fantastic songs that I felt were horribly spoiled somehow. At some point, I just noticed the recurring issue, and its name came to me almost naturally. Here's a little experiment: listen to this track, but only up to the 1'54'' mark (it's vital, you must pause it at that exact point); are you there? Good. Now, here's your goddman chorus. See? Just like "Guardians" and all the others that followed suit. Now go back to this beauty and let's all be thankful the gods gave us USPM.

I see, though I think that you might be going a bit over the edge with this, Legend. I don't think that every single Europower band is guilty of this, or at least not to the extreme you seem to imply (though quite a few bands indeed have a knack for unnecessarily sweet and saccharine choruses, so there's also that).

On a somewhat related note, I'm kinda the opposite of you regarding the subject of power metal; in the beginning, I was only interested in the heavier power metal bands (particularly the German speed metal giants), but with time, I have come to appreciate Europower more. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I certainly derive enjoyment from some works who fall into that niche (and I'm not really bothered by Santa choruses :-P), although I still turn to the likes of, say, Omen or Rage most of the time for my power metal fix.

By the way man, I noticed that you're a big S.L. Coe fan. Do you by any chance know what happened to this guy? From what I heard, he was seriously awesome (fuckin' Terminal Earth, man!), but he has pretty much dissapeared from the metal scene :(

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:57 pm 

Nowadays S.L. Coe just drinks wodka in his willage. He's a wictim of circumstance, really.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:54 pm 

Autothrall's review for the new Attacker album has piqued my interest into possibly picking it up. Anyone care to echo those sentiments or have a different take of their own on it?

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:20 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
I've never even heard of Hammers of Misfortune. Should I have? :{

Yes. Noob, go back to your anime!

Check out The August Engine to start.

Seconded, that album is kickass. It's a great listen from start to finish, try The Doomed Parade, A Room and a Riddle and the title track (part 2).

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:23 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Autothrall's review for the new Attacker album has piqued my interest into possibly picking it up. Anyone care to echo those sentiments or have a different take of their own on it?

It sounds legit to me.

But you'll sound like less of a noob if you don't point to Autothrall as your source of info.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:57 pm 

Not an Autothrall fan, Failsafeman?

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Not an Autothrall fan, Failsafeman?

Yeah, now I'm startin' to wonder here. I thought he sounded like a guy that knew his stuff pretty well. He is overly critical at certain times, but I didn't see any other issue than that.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:19 pm 

I don't like robotic and mechanical reviewers either. Also, he barely has any negative reviews nowadays, he's basically writing ads for the promos he receive.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:20 pm 

Well I certainly don't hate the guy or anything, and I do admire the sheer amount of work he's put into reviewing metal. But really he's a prime example of quantity over quality, and I much prefer the reverse. The side effect of the extreme pace he pumps those reviews out at leads to many (if not most) of them clearly having been written after only skimming the album in question. That habit gets very apparent when he's reviewing an album I'm familiar with. His reviews can be useful if you need just a general benchmark "is it shit or not" for an album you haven't heard and you already have an idea of what his tastes are and how they relate to yours, but if you're interested in any kind of serious critique or real insight then you'd best find someone else.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:31 pm 

Yeah, I get you guys. He isn't terrible by any means, but I usually prefer more personal and well developed insights. His reviews of classic albums are pretty cool though.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 am 

failsafeman wrote:
ModusOperandi wrote:

It sounds legit to me.

But you'll sound like less of a noob if you don't point to Autothrall as your source of info.

I just cited him because his review for it happened to be on the front page at the time as opposed to actively seeking his out specifically. So... :ugh:

Nevertheless, the feedback's appreciated! Muchos nachos and all that.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:00 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Also, he barely has any negative reviews nowadays, he's basically writing ads for the promos he receive.

Well...I don't know about that. Going by his ratings only, he's been taking bit of a shit on Bolt Thrower lately and while 70%+ isn't neccessarily failing or damning, there are a fair amount of those. I agree that he is a bit mechanical too. 8 reviews since the 5th seems a bit much.

Of course, when you space them out, you can get giant tl;dr messes like that BastardHead Manilla Road review. Truely a double-edged sword.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:17 am 

Is he giving a lot of 60% and lower? And as you might know, Bolt Thrower is not releasing anything these days, hence not being the subject of my point.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:13 am 

double post

Last edited by LegendMaker on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:14 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
By the way man, I noticed that you're a big S.L. Coe fan. Do you by any chance know what happened to this guy? From what I heard, he was seriously awesome (fuckin' Terminal Earth, man!), but he has pretty much dissapeared from the metal scene :(

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Nowadays S.L. Coe just drinks wodka in his willage. He's a wictim of circumstance, really.

Yop, radio silence since this, almost 12 years ago, which I believe to be his final appearance of any kind on a(n officially released) record. After the commercial and critical failure of his C.O.E. solo project, for which he was not just the sole full-time member, but also the manager/producer/engineer, he quit the music business, reportedly in 2002. Someone here at MA added the note "2004 - Full Metal Package - demo/EP" to his project's page, which might be the reason its MA page shows "Years active: 1998-?". But as Coe himself doesn't seem to reference this release anywhere, due to its title very much sounding like "re-release of the 'Metal' album from 2000", and since he stated himself the project existed from 2000 to 2002, I have a strong suspicion this is nothing but a postmortem demo compilation. The man has an occasionnaly active YT channel, on which he posts some of his (known and old) stuff, and a FB page, if you're into that (if you find any info on the FB page, I'd like to know; I'm still a "Blank File" where those fuckers are concerned).
S.L. Coe wrote:
After a hearing demage and not willing to deal with corruption and mendacity any more, S.L.Coe 2002 decided to ultimately leave the music business.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:23 pm 

Man, that's too bad. Coe has a great voice (I like to think of him as a more extreme and controlled version of WOJ era Kai Hansen), and he isn't very old either. Seem like he got fed up with the bullshit that is the music business.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:46 pm 

Coe's alright, I could have enjoyed more of him. That second Angel Dust album is pretty solid too. I like Michael Knoblich way more though and that guy utterly destroys Kiske. It's too bad he didn't do more though, he sounds crazy on Jester's March, a lot more versatile than he was on Scanner's debut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUP-AT13xnU

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:16 pm 

I like Autothrall's reviews, he's exposed me to a lot of bands. I'm extremely grateful for that and don't feel like he gets the credit he deserves.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:25 am 

There can only be one Gutterscream.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:01 am 

@Xeogreed: There are two types of Scanner fans, exemplified by you and me, it seems: those who think 'Hypertrace' is the superior album, and those who think 'Terminal Earth' is. What you gonna do. Knoblich was decent but very amateur-ish compared to the average German power/speed singer at the time (though to be fair, those were crazy times for an insane scene and awesome was the average), and he had this crow-like quality to his voice reminiscent of Raven's John Gallagher or Rage's Peter Wagner, which always rubbed me the wrong way. Comparing those guys to Kiske is like comparing Di'Anno to (early) Dickinson: gritty versus pure.

Xlxlx wrote:
Man, that's too bad. Coe has a great voice (I like to think of him as a more extreme and controlled version of WOJ era Kai Hansen), and he isn't very old either. Seem like he got fed up with the bullshit that is the music business.

I hear you. Consider this: the guy was a first-tier German power/speed metal singer throughout the original German power/speed metal golden years, yet he never made two albums with the same band. Many of his former bandmates have said he was a tyrant/dick, while his side of the story is of course that they were the dicks. In retrospect, it seems obvious that this was a series of misunderstandings: the guy was born to lead a major band, but he's only ever been hired as a replacement in already established acts, and they expected him to stay humble instead. When he finally took the logical step of forming his own band where no one would challenge his leader status... the power metal world just shrugged at his effort (which, to be fair, was no 'To Dust you Will Decay', but certainly nothing to be ashamed of either). So he gave up. I can relate.

Might be obvious, but besides Deris-fronted post-Hansen Helloween jewels like 'The Time of the Oath' and 'Better Than Raw', the closest you can get to Coe's style is probably the first two Reactor albums, which are pretty cool Terminal Earth inspired albums with yet another singer who mysteriously disappeared off the face of the earth way too soon: Jerry Bryant (not as great as Coe, but close enough).

Dandelo wrote:
I like Autothrall's reviews, he's exposed me to a lot of bands. I'm extremely grateful for that and don't feel like he gets the credit he deserves.

I guess the question would be what is the purpose of a review. Is it to help people notice stuff they might like? If so, and that was the case for you with autothrall's reviews, then sure, he did a great job as far as you're concerned. Is it to provide an enlightening, funny or otherwise interesting perspective on stuff? If so, then I can relate with the opposing camp's point of view as well.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:56 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

I hear you. Consider this: the guy was a first-tier German power/speed metal singer throughout the original German power/speed metal golden years, yet he never made two albums with the same band. Many of his former bandmates have said he was a tyrant/dick, while his side of the story is of course that they were the dicks. In retrospect, it seems obvious that this was a series of misunderstandings: the guy was born to lead a major band, but he's only ever been hired as a replacement in already established acts, and they expected him to stay humble instead. When he finally took the logical step of forming his own band where no one would challenge his leader status... the power metal world just shrugged at his effort (which, to be fair, was no 'To Dust you Will Decay', but certainly nothing to be ashamed of either). So he gave up. I can relate.

Yeah, it's understandable. So, in short; first, he doesn't seem to be able to get along with anyone. And secondly, his own, more personal efforts get ignored/squashed by critics. That must certainly be a big blow to one's own will.
LegendMaker wrote:
Might be obvious, but besides Deris-fronted post-Hansen Helloween jewels like 'The Time of the Oath' and 'Better Than Raw', the closest you can get to Coe's style is probably the first two Reactor albums, which are pretty cool Terminal Earth inspired albums with yet another singer who mysteriously disappeared off the face of the earth way too soon: Jerry Bryant (not as great as Coe, but close enough).

Already familiar with those Helloween albums, but hey, thanks for recommending those Reactor records. They sound pretty decent, but there's something about the singer that..... I don't know..... It rubs me the wrong way, for whatever reason. Maybe I'll get over it with further listens. But yeah, thanks Legend!

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:46 pm 

You're more than welcome, man. They're not stellar, but they get pretty close to classic-era Scanner style wise, and they have a few cool tracks, especially the debut. Their first singer had a slightly weaker voice and stronger accent, I'd say, and less charisma, but he was good. They did up their game quite a bit when Coe himself joined them for their third album, of course, but you know that.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:56 pm 

It makes you wonder, doesn't it? How people like Dio, Coe, and the like seem to transform everything they lend their voices to into gold. It can't simply be a coincidence. Also, while on the subject of Coe, I have to say that Angel Dust's To Dust You Will Decay has significantly grown on me with time. I still don't like it as much as the band's later output, but it's a pretty rad piece of German speed/power metal. It's just that the songwriting could use some polishing.....

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:13 pm 

I guess it's our Agree to Disagree Day, dude. As far as I'm concerned, Angel Dust is TDYWD. The songwriting is amazing, and one of the strengths of the album, along with Lynn's solos and of course Coe's vocals. It can be a grower, though. I didn't think that highly of it on my first listen, but some riffs and, if I may borrow from the Emp's terminology, hooks stayed with me and kept me coming back to the album, until one day I realized "fuck, is this album great or what!". Might happen to you too.

On the "not a coincidence" thing, I couldn't agree more. Dio-era Sabbath sounds closer to Dio (the band) than it does other eras of the band itself, just like Terminal Earth has a distinctly Coe quality to it that in a sense makes it closer to the rest of his career than the band's. The One Who Keeps The Safe From Failing made the exact same point regarding John Cyriis a few pages back, IIRC, and I also agree. Well, it takes a combination of genuine talent and a personal style and approach, I guess.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:31 pm 

Eh, it's just the way it is for me, Legend :-P Angel Dust's more modern take on the genre resonates a lot with me, and I find those albums to be highly personal, emotional, and unique outings. To Dust You Will Decay simply lacks the intangibles the likes of Bleed and Enlighten the Darkness have by the fuckton, though it still has space to grow on me. I doubt I'll ever like it as much as those pieces though.

As for the other point, it seems like indeed there are particular vocalists that, just like you say, have just the right mix of charisma and technical ability so as to influence the band they front in a special way. Or at least that's the best guess possible, because I got squat :lol:

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:07 pm 

Well, such singers' personal styles and approaches are also typically expressed in their contributions to the songwriting, wherever they go. Dio signed all lyrics and (vocal) melodies on every album he fronted starting with Rainbow's debut, on top of making key contributions to the music as well. It's basically the same profile for both S.L. Coe and John Cyriis, and I'm sure all similar cases we might think of. 'Terminal Earth', to take the crown jewel of Coe's career, includes all lyrics and vocal melodies by him, and he also co-composed the music of 7/10 songs, one of which is all his (and not exactly a filler, either). So there's that. Singers who make the biggest difference in a band are seldom "just" singers. :D

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:08 pm 

Ah c'mon, old Angel Dust is so boring. Really typical, weak sounding 80s metal...just nothing that great about it at all.

Thanks for borrowing my terminology though, Legend. :D

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:05 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
Singers who make the biggest difference in a band are seldom "just" singers. :D

Yup, this is pretty much it, man. Dude's got a personal style, and leaves his imprint on the music. Hell, Bruce fuckin' Dickinson also counts as an example of this. It would be great if more singers had a hand in the songwriting department, actually.....
Empyreal wrote:
Ah c'mon, old Angel Dust is so boring. Really typical, weak sounding 80s metal...just nothing that great about it at all.

Typical? Yeah, definitely. Weak? Not really. Or at least, not TDYWD. I have barely payed attention to the debut, so I can't really comment on it. To Dust You Will Decay is cool though, but the songwriting could use some work, as occasionally, it feels like the riffs (and just the riffs) are all the band has going for it.

By the way, I thought the term "hook" was widely used when it comes to describing catchiness in music :scratch:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:15 am 

It's pretty bland. Every few years I try again to get into that stuff and see what everyone else sees but eh, it doesn't work for me at all. Just makes me want to turn on Omen or something instead.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:58 am 

Yes, Xlxlx, "a hook" is a widely-accepted musical term, more specifically describing an artifact or, often, a gimmick destined to catch, maintain or renew the audience's attention at a particular point in a song. It's just that it's most often used in mainstream pop music (for obvious reasons). In the context of metal, this term immediately brings Empyreal to mind, because he uses it a lot, that's all. :D

Angel Dust's debut is a mediocre, pedestrian German speed/thrash album of the day with just a little bit of early Helloween flair in the vocals and a few riffs. It was done by yet another line-up, though, with only the rhythm section in common with the one I love, led by S.L. Coe and Vinny Lynn, and the later one you guys speak so highly of. That one I won't defend. It sure is boring, repetitive and samey as fuck.

'To Dust You Will Decay' is a whole other story, though. I admit I'm surprised that you of all people, Emp, with your passion for oomph-y vocalists delivering strong, catchy melodies over meaty, driving riffs and solid, dynamic, varied song structures, would find stuff like "Hold on", "Mister Inferno" or "Stranger" to your liking. Well, if it doesn't click, it doesn't click.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:41 am 

Aye, gotta love vocalists who turn everything to gold but I think there are still some great vocalists who release duds sometimes. Take Jorn Lande, for example. Absolutely kick ass vocalist with almost unmatched power and control in the metal scene, but he still has lots of mediocre songs with Ark and his solo project.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:42 am 

To Dust You Will Decay is pretty spiffy and, for the most part, Coe's the star on that album. 'Wings of an Angel has a hilarious music video, too.

With regard to M.A.J.O.R. versus Coe, I do prefer Coe but M.A.J.O.R. rules just because he so incredibly enthusiastic. I would say Coe and Peavy Wagner are quite similar actually, although not when Peavy's just doing his John Gallagher impression (which he did do an awful lot in the 1980s).

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:45 am 

What the fuck are you guys even talking about, David Allan is the only Coe that exists.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:02 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I would say Coe and Peavy Wagner are quite similar actually, although not when Peavy's just doing his John Gallagher impression (which he did do an awful lot in the 1980s).

I was thinking this too actually. But I can see where LegendMaker is coming from. Coe is a bit more reserved and controlled, but yeah it's Knoblich's crazy charm that I really dig off the debut. I'd say it has a better production too and some really awesome guitar leads and just weird songs that stand out a lot ("Grapes of Fear"). The second album feels a bit more complete and flows better, while the debut feels a bit like a more random assortment of material... but yeah, it grew on me a bit more over the years and is just catchy as heck. Both are great, I don't know if I can get into their other stuff nowadays though.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:00 am 

So you guys are telling me.... Peavy actually started to sing instead of croaking, but only on Rage's post-good music albums? Not sure I can handle the irony. :aww:

Don't get me wrong, Xeo, 'Hypertrace' is an awesome album in its own right. Besides, the truly nerve-grating vocal performance on that album, on the infamous "Pissing in Your Ears, Shitting in Your Brains" track, is only about a third his fault. I just find everything about 'Terminal Earth' better, including the production, that's all.

As for the rest of Scanner's career, well, it's a mixed bag and the main contents in the bag are canine excrements, I won't lie to you, man. After approximately a million listens, it is possible to achieve a mental state where you find some of the stuff on 'Mental Reservation' and 'Ball of the Damned' interesting or even great, but 'Scantropolis' was born to suck it. The band released one pretty cool new track in early 2007, which someone posted on YT two years later as a "new 2009 album preview", but it never came to fruition. That's too bad because it was the best track released under the Scanner name in a very long time. Somewhat reminiscent of PM-era Fates Warning, with modern production values and some EuroPM idiosyncracies. Maybe one day, say, in 2039, Julius' ego will wake up and realize the band's greatness never relied solely on Axel's dick, and that other members like Tom Sopha, Knoblich or Coe were at least as important.

Jonpo wrote:
What the fuck are you guys even talking about, David Allan is the only Coe that exists.

My horribly shitty side project is offensively bad across 5 music genres at once. Your argument is invalid. (Oh boy, somone actually submitted this to MA? "This artist is currently only linked to draft/pending bands. Please check again later." Shyeah, I will. Hoping for a goddamn "page not found" error message. Oh my gawd, it's going to get a pass under the "shitty unrelated side project" loophole, will it not?) :lol:

Last edited by LegendMaker on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:04 am 

Not a fan of later Rage, LegendMaker?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:09 am 

I like pretty much all the Rage I've heard to varying degrees (the debut, Perfect Man, Reflections of a Shadow, Trapped!, The Missing Link, Black in Mind, End of All Days and Soundchaser are all varying degrees of good). I like Peavy's vocals in general, he was probably best on, say, The Missing Link where he wasn't afraid to hit high notes but also sang with a good degree of power.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:16 am 

The music on the early stuff is really good from what I remember, but the vocals always brought down my enjoyment of it almost to nothing. I really dig the later albums in the early 2000s when he started owning every song he sang on. For a long time in the latter half of the decade Rage just sucked, but 21 is one of the better comebacks I've heard lately - awesome album.

edit: Checking out some older Rage again...this is better sounding than I remember. :thumbsup:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 377, 378, 379, 380, 381, 382, 383 ... 624  Next