Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:12 pm 

I really like Resound the Horn, it has that mountainous epic feel and I really like the vocals. This is my favorite song by them, bell chimes included (a sure sign of a great song!)... NINE KNIIIIGHTS!!!

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:28 pm 

So, yeah, this Storrsson demo fucking kills. It's got that Solstice/Doomsword/etc atmosphere, but with crazy lead guitar layering and an "airy" sound that reminds me more of Adramelch than anything else. I can't get enough of it.

Apparently there's a full-length album in the works, slated for an October release. I'm fucking pumped.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:03 pm 

I listened to the Storrsson demo last week or so, and yea, it's pretty fucking good! Definitely hoping for more!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:34 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
I really like Resound the Horn, it has that mountainous epic feel and I really like the vocals. This is my favorite song by them, bell chimes included (a sure sign of a great song!)... NINE KNIIIIGHTS!!!

Resound the Horn is their best imo, the one after isn't bad but that's where they went in a bit of a style over substance direction. I was listening to RtH my freshman year of high school and I still love it.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:40 pm 

Listened to six new albums today at work, and it's time to share some brief thoughts!

Portrait - Burn the World
I didn't immediately like this as much as I thought I would, but it certainly is cool and is probably a grower. 7.5/10...for now.

Force Majeure - The Rise of Starsomething Whatevers
It sucks. Only the 2nd track matters. 3/10.

Solarus - Reunion
Pretty good female-fronted power metal with some great tunes. Nothing revolutionary. 7/10.

Blazon Stone - Down in the Dark
Fuck yeah! There's a bit too much filler in the middle, but this kicks ass. 8.5/10.

Nocturnal Rites - Phoenix
Same story here--another great album bogged down with boring filler in the middle. 8/10.

Threshold - Legends of the Shires
Holy shit, dude. This shit made my day, and is easily now the best album of 2017. It'd only be a Top 10 contender in any other year, but 2017 sucks balls, so it just walked its way up to #1. 9.5/10.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:57 pm 

Oh fuck, did Threshold have a comeback? Their last couple of albums were kinda eh for me, although admittedly I didn't listen to them super thoroughly. At their best though, Threshold were almost untouchable, and I'd be happy if they got back to that.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:14 pm 

I liked the last few Threshold albums just fine, but this one grinds them into dust.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:32 pm 

I don't think the newer Threshold albums are any different sonically from the older ones, except in small ways - some of their older ones are a bit mellower and more erudite, whereas the newer ones have been slightly more accessible - I think they really hit a stride with Dead Reckoning and have been on a tear ever since. The new one is definitely way heavier than the last couple, though I'd still say I like the previous one, For the Journey, a little more. But the new one is a real spectacle for sure. The band sounds super confident, the songs are insanely catchy and Glynn Morgan's aggression along with the heavy riffs make it a real immediate pleasure that also grows on you. It's a very colorful, larger-than-life, bombastic work.

Glad to hear you're liking the new NR, Zelkiiro. Looking forward to that one.

LORDCOPROMONSTER
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:23 pm 

I'm looking for good old school heavy metal, with good riffs, emotional and powerful vocals, cool guitar harmonies, and an epic touch to it, much in the vein of this one:

This is what i want, this epic and full of power and emotion heavy songs, riffs full of feeling and nice vocals.
thank so much

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:54 pm 

LORDCOPROMONSTER wrote:
I'm looking for good old school heavy metal, with good riffs, emotional and powerful vocals, cool guitar harmonies, and an epic touch to it, much in the vein of this one:

This is what i want, this epic and full of power and emotion heavy songs, riffs full of feeling and nice vocals.
thank so much

Time for my go-to recommendation: Mary's Blood. They're primarily power metal, but they dabble in some heavy/speed at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08GNcXDuSMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAmkGoP82BM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trqlw_YA_B8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLM2unV0kwU

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:13 pm 

Burn the World should definitely grow on you... There's a large amount to digest in their previous album and this one even though at first listen you might not think so.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:54 pm 

Eh, the new Threshold tracks I heard were either boring or saccharine. Maybe the full album is better, but from what I heard, I can't imagine what all the fuss is about.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:58 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Eh, the new Threshold tracks I heard were either boring or saccharine. Maybe the full album is better, but from what I heard, I can't imagine what all the fuss is about.

The elements you find boring and saccharine are actually the stuff fans want to hear in this music. Just differing taste is all.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:01 pm 

Saccharine is what I live for.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:31 pm 

LORDCOPROMONSTER wrote:

thank so much

I started out with a list that kept growing longer and longer, because probably 75% of good USPM fits your description. I suppose I'll just try for bands that are somewhat similar to that song.

I think you'd probably go apeshit for Sacred Oath. Very similar style of guitar harmonizing, superb vocalist, etc.

The riffing style, especially during the solo, is very reminiscent of Isen Torr, one of the greatest epic heavy metal bands to ever exist (unfortunately they only released a 2-song demo).

Heathens Rage make use of similar harmonies as well, taking some NWOBHM influence, the vocals aren't legendary but they're still very good, I think you'd probably like them. Be warned, the production is a bit rough but hardly unlistenable or anything.

Oblivion Knight's 1987 demo (the first three tracks of the compilation, which is pretty widely available for download) are in a very similar vein, highly epic stuff, maybe the one that actually comes closest to Black Knight (they even share part of their name!)

Blind Assassin's 1986 demo is also quite similar, especially the title track. I believe it's been remastered recently with their compilation, but the production isn't too bad either way.

Glory Hunter's Psychotime demo is also excellent, really criminally overlooked stuff with very professional production, strong vocals, epic guitar melodies, etc. (No songs from it were on YT but I decided to upload a track because it's fucking amazing and everyone should goddamn hear it!)

Enchanter is another one you don't want to miss, it's a bit proggier/more complex than the other riffs, but not too much, and the vocalist is goddamn amazing.

Hopefully that'll keep you busy for a while!

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:37 am 

A new Nocturnal Rites album that doesn't suck? I'm skeptical...

yeah, this is awful...

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:09 am 

Still good, still sounds like Nocturnal Rites, but those chugs are so utterly completely unnecessary and useless! What the hell are they thinking? "This is what the kids jam these days"?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:18 am 

The new Nocturnal Rites album was my first exposure to them. The single they put out with the modern chugs left me flat. But I downloaded the whole album to give it a shot.

Now, I'm not well versed in modern power metal, but this album kind of reminded me of sucky modern radio metal like Avenged Sevenfold. I hate that stuff. But here's the kicker: I liked the new Nocturnal Rites despite it reminding me of Avenged Sevenfold.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:00 am 

"A Heart As Black As Coal" fucking slays. Just a great, energetic power metal song. That is nothing like A7X or mallcore; the songwriting is pure PM and that is what matters - the guitars just keep charging forward, rather than getting caught up in breakdowns or Pantera-like grooves, and except for the sort of Zakk Wylde style chugging here and there, there's no resemblance to any kind of -core in the substance of the song.

I dunno, I just don't care if a song has a few different elements, such as modernity or different guitar styles - that stuff is intriguing to me and I like seeing what bands do.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:34 am 

Man, I loved "A Heart As Black As Coal". I've really missed Nocturnal Rites. They were one of the first Euro PM bands I latched onto and I gorged myself sick on their entire discography. The new album nay not be the most special thing EVERRR (neither was the new Labyrinth by the way) but it is good enough all the same.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:41 am 

Meh. Not bad but nothing great either. I don't mind chugging generally speaking but I didn't hear anything particularly captivating about that song. Reminded me of Trail of Murder mostly, in the sense that I like Trail of Murder so much more! :P

Leaving every sense of modernity behind, a gem of obscure and utterly cult metal, Vortex and Open the Gate. I love this song. The video just makes it better.

On a semi-related note, Vice Human is one of the oldest (the oldest?) heavy metal bands in Greece and the singer/guitarist Nick Papakostas (coincidentally same name and surname as the Convixion/Strikelight/Metal from Hellas dude) is a cult figure in greek circles. You can see him in the aforementioned Metal from Hellas documentary.

For encyclopedic reasons only: the new Vice Human song/video clip. It is probably one of the worst things to be released this year and for that reason alone, worth the cringe :)

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:25 am 

Vortex rule! I specifically name-dropped them when discussing Kryst the Conqueror. They have a special brand of quirk that doesn't bend or bow to any prevailing winds or trends. Just unstoppable, atmospheric, riff-based heavy metal. Metal Bats and Open the Gates both really get me going.

Well, as expected the danish Force Majeure rule. Complex, challenging, fast, and raw because they're demos! I'll have to find this collection. Currently spinning "Sacrifice" and it's so so good.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:45 pm 

Oh yeah, Vortex is excellent. Open the Gates is a classic and though I've only listened to Hammer of the North a couple of times, it seems pretty much just as good. I need to spin that one a bit more and then check out the rest of their newer albums, Hammer of the North is special in that it completely captures the spirit and quality of Open the Gates even though it was released 27 years later, if the rest of their newer albums are like that then that would be one of the most flawless discographies. Great stuff.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:01 pm 

After the Fall From Grace is really great. Doesn't get enough credit in the wake of their stunning debut.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:49 pm 

I was listening to some Yngwie the other night, and had a thought. While I do generally agree that his influence on Helstar is greatly overstated, the main riff in Evil Eye sounds exactly like something that would have been on Nosferatu.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:47 pm 

Anyone know some albums that have that 80's out on the town rockin' and rollin' vibe that Judas Priest Turbo does? That album could easily act as an 80's metal soundtrack.
edit: added example track

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:06 pm 

^ That album sounds like it owes a lot to Scorpions, Def Leppard, and Van Halen. As for newer stuff:

High Spirits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iHRAnIA2Yw

Striker's 2017 album might also fit. I'll try to think of some more.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:51 pm 

kytokinesis wrote:
^ That album sounds like it owes a lot to Scorpions, Def Leppard, and Van Halen.

That song would've fitted right in on High & Dry.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:41 pm 

kytokinesis wrote:
^ That album sounds like it owes a lot to Scorpions, Def Leppard, and Van Halen. As for newer stuff:

High Spirits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iHRAnIA2Yw

Striker's 2017 album might also fit. I'll try to think of some more.

Van Halen, early Deff Leppard, and High spirits are the only ones I am familiar with so still plenty to dig through there.
Thanks for the help. Keep them coming if you find more, it is such a fun style and 80's as shit.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:29 am 

Hey Dooders this might be way too obvious of a suggestion but I know I kinda missed them because "oh no hair metal" but Dokken fucking rule. You ever listen to any Dokken? Personally I'd recommend going straight to their live album Beast from the East. It has a bunch of their best songs and the sound is meaner. The whole band is on fucking fire. Very much a commercial feel, with big hooks and all that, but the riffs are there.

Also would highly recommend "Thunder in the East" by Loudness for that soundtrack to drinking in a foreign city.

This post brought to you by the direction East

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:03 am 

I'm listening to As Darkness Reigns for the first time. It's stunning, as expected. Fuck man! I want a copy of this. Looks like even the CD copy as "Oracle" is pricey. I'm listening to a full rip of someone's tape copy on youtube and it rules. It scratches that same itch as Matthias Steele and Cauldron Born. Just ridiculously complex without losing the muscle and speed. I'm smitten fellas.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:25 am 

Jonpo wrote:
I'm listening to As Darkness Reigns for the first time. It's stunning, as expected. Fuck man! I want a copy of this. Looks like even the CD copy as "Oracle" is pricey. I'm listening to a full rip of someone's tape copy on youtube and it rules. It scratches that same itch as Matthias Steele and Cauldron Born. Just ridiculously complex without losing the muscle and speed. I'm smitten fellas.

I had a chance to see then live back in the day and I'm kicking myself that I never did. Catch all the great bands live while they're still active!

I've been listening to Matthias Steele "Haunting Tales" this week, and this is fun stuff. Closest band I can think of to Cauldron Born, but not as good as them IMHO. I love the high screams and the guitarist has some great riffs. Songwriting could be stronger though IMHO. I didn't enjoy their other releases much.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:37 am 

Fuggin', ouch! That sucks man. I have to imagine they were DEVASTATING live.

Haunting Tales is a god-tier release to me, along with everything Cauldron Born has released. I was surprised how much better it was than the demo/album that came before. The vocals are a huge part of it to me. He just has one of those possessing, shape-shifting heavy metal voices. I really love the storytelling atmosphere on Haunting Tales. Fuck man! This is all I've been listening to today. Maybe I'll toss in some Slauter Xstroyes as well to round it out.

edit: I'm considering spending way too much money on a CD copy of As Darkness Reigns. Can anyone weigh in on the difference between the two versions, sound-wise? I know they re-arranged some tracks. Is it also re-recorded?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:42 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Fuggin', ouch! That sucks man. I have to imagine they were DEVASTATING live.

My buddy lived in Jacksonville and had their cassette. I think he had seen them live before and called them "Prodigy". When I finally got the CD years later I was kicking myself that I didn't go see them. I was probably more of a pure thrash guy back then though and wouldn't have appreciated it as much as I would now. Real metal was pretty popular in FL back then.

Quote:
Haunting Tales is a god-tier release to me, along with everything Cauldron Born has released. I was surprised how much better it was than the demo/album that came before.

I still need to hear that one, but considering that it's a different guitarist I am skeptical.

Quote:
The vocals are a huge part of it to me. He just has one of those possessing, shape-shifting heavy metal voices.

Yeah, his high screams are really amazing. It's like King Diamond range in full head voice.

Quote:
Maybe I'll toss in some Slauter Xstroyes as well to round it out.

I keep hoping they will finish that new album. I think it will be awesome.

Quote:
edit: I'm considering spending way too much money on a CD copy of As Darkness Reigns. Can anyone weigh in on the difference between the two versions, sound-wise? I know they re-arranged some tracks. Is it also re-recorded?

I only know of one version. Wasn't the Prodigy cassette the same recording as the "As Darkness Reigns" CD?

Last edited by Temple Of Blood on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:11 pm 

Is there supposed to be a third Slauter Xstroyes album? Based on your wording I assume it's been promised for a few years at least, but I didn't actually know about that. If it comes out I will buy the shit out of that immediately. In my top 10 USPM bands for sure.

I'm not sure about Prodigy/Oracle. My Oracle rip sounded a bit clearer than the Prodigy rip I've also heard, but I'm not sure if that's an actual difference among the releases themselves or just a difference in rip quality. I'm pretty sure it's not a rerecording at least, it could be a remaster or something.

A lot of people seem to love the Matthias Steele demo (it has 3 glowing reviews), but I've always found it underwhelming. Not bad, but the guitarwork is completely mediocre compared to Haunting Tales and the vocal lines aren't ambitious and crazy enough to facilitate the greatness that is the man, the mystery, the metal - MR. Anthony C. Lionetti. Definitely better than any of the stuff they've released after Haunting Tales, though. At least it's still power metal.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:52 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Is there supposed to be a third Slauter Xstroyes album? Based on your wording I assume it's been promised for a few years at least, but I didn't actually know about that. If it comes out I will buy the shit out of that immediately. In my top 10 USPM bands for sure.

There is a YouTube video that shows them in the studio recording it and you can hear a bit of the riffing. This was at least a few years ago. Then their vocalist unfortunately lost his son, and that put it on hold. I think he is active again musically now, but singing in a cover band. I have wondered if they would resume recording. I think their new lineup is VERY strong based on those live performances from several years ago.

Quote:
A lot of people seem to love the Matthias Steele demo (it has 3 glowing reviews), but I've always found it underwhelming. Not bad, but the guitarwork is completely mediocre compared to Haunting Tales and the vocal lines aren't ambitious and crazy enough to facilitate the greatness that is the man, the mystery, the metal - MR. Anthony C. Lionetti. Definitely better than any of the stuff they've released after Haunting Tales, though. At least it's still power metal.

Based on the little bit I've heard of it, that was my impression too.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:26 pm 

Best of 2k17? I've been digging:

Attacker
Burning Shadows
Chevalier
Portrait
Pyramaze
Satan's Hallow

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:46 am 

Nahsil wrote:

Attacker
Burning Shadows
Chevalier
Portrait
Pyramaze
Satan's Hallow

You'll want to take a look at the 2017 albums from Threshold, Labyrinth, Walpyrgus, White Skull, and Blazon Stone.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:54 am 

Nahsil wrote:

Attacker
Burning Shadows
Chevalier
Portrait
Pyramaze
Satan's Hallow

Pretty sure the Attacker album was 2016? Although I didn't even know they had come out with it until I saw this post, so thanks for that haha. Sounds fucking killer.

So besides what you listed (Portrait is my AOTY by a mile)

Ancestral
Hexx
Lunar Shadow
Witherfall
Pagan Altar
Argus
Holy Martyr
Air Raid

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:06 pm 

Hey folks, if any of you are located in the PNW, be sure to check out the new incarnation of NorthWest Metalfest in Seattle. It's March 9 + 10, 2018 at El Corazon. It's being ran by a couple of the members of Substratum plus some other old hands around the scene in this neck of the woods. They've just started announcing bands including my band Gatekeeper and Taiste Of Iron from the '80s. It's not my place to do too much bean-spillin' right now but I can tell you that there are some really awesome announcements coming up that would interest some of the regs here.

FB Page:
https://www.facebook.com/nwmfseattle/

For those unaware, Northwest Metalfest started back in the early 80's and featured early performances by Metal Church, Wild Dogs, TKO, not to mention Myth and The Mob, the two bands whose members started Queensrcyhe.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564 ... 625  Next