Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:17 pm 

Operation Pivo wrote:

Stereo Nasty is great! As if Blackie Lawless had sung in Metal Church. Don't like the name though, makes me think of some Britpop band.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:45 pm 

I really want to love this Eternal Champion album, but it seems suuuuuuper inconsistent to me. First track is good, second track is an immediate step down, and then it's just back and forth throughout, with some good moments in riffcraft and songwriting and some pretty forgettable stuff.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Operation Pivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:49 am 

Opus wrote:
Don't like the name though, makes me think of some Britpop band.

Just think of the early 80s media panic regarding 'Video Nasties' and that should clear away such horrid thought. If that fails, just imagine Britpop bands being hunted down by a knife wielding, black-gloved, mysterious killer with a penchant for stylistic sacrifice.

Quote:
Generic riffs

Can this style of music, and I'm talking specifically about NWOTHM on the 'revivalist/retro' side, really avoid it? I would have thought that a level of 'retro-ness' required some measure of adherence to existing bands from the original era. If they deviate too much from the 30-odd year old riff templates, then they risk not sounding so retro. Anyone got any examples of revivalist/retro NWOTHM with gruff-ish vocals that doesn't have so-called generic riffing?
Bands that I listen to regularly in this niche-within a niche-within a sub-genre include Stereo Nasty, Ancient Empire, Ascalon, Iron Curtain, Hell Fire, Thunderheart.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:09 am 

Jesus, Conklin! :lol:
I came across this today and I just had to share it :headbang:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:08 pm 

Operation Pivo wrote:
Quote:
Generic riffs

Can this style of music, and I'm talking specifically about NWOTHM on the 'revivalist/retro' side, really avoid it? I would have thought that a level of 'retro-ness' required some measure of adherence to existing bands from the original era. If they deviate too much from the 30-odd year old riff templates, then they risk not sounding so retro. Anyone got any examples of revivalist/retro NWOTHM with gruff-ish vocals that doesn't have so-called generic riffing?
Bands that I listen to regularly in this niche-within a niche-within a sub-genre include Stereo Nasty, Ancient Empire, Ascalon, Iron Curtain, Hell Fire, Thunderheart.

Well, Johnny Touch, who we were just talking about a few posts up, manages to do the retro thing in a very fresh and non-derivative way. Don't really have the "gruff-ish" vocals though. I'm sure there's some others that aren't coming to mind at the moment. When I say "generic," I don't really mean "sound like other bands," I mean, "Sounds so much like other bands that they're indistinguishable as distinct to that band, thus making their songwriting completely derivative and forgettable." Of course some influence from 80s bands is going to happen when you're dealing with revivalist heavy metal, but there's a difference between straight-up worship/clone bands and bands who still take influence, but also add something new to it, like Johnny Touch (and now that I think of it I'll add Crusader as another example, great riffy heavy/power metal with gruff vocals that you might dig).

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:27 pm 

Operation Pivo wrote:
Anyone got any examples of revivalist/retro NWOTHM with gruff-ish vocals that doesn't have so-called generic riffing?

Elm Street - Knock'em Out... With a Metal Fist is the best one I have listened to. Still generic but very ambitious and definitely the most technically sophisticated example IMO.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:24 pm 

kytokinesis wrote:
Operation Pivo wrote:
Anyone got any examples of revivalist/retro NWOTHM with gruff-ish vocals that doesn't have so-called generic riffing?

Elm Street - Knock'em Out... With a Metal Fist is the best one I have listened to. Still generic but very ambitious and definitely the most technically sophisticated example IMO.

Oh, I didn't realize they had a new one out. Their debut definitely rules, one of the more sophisticated and thoughtful of the revivalist movement, indeed. I know what I'm doing later today! :)

macmoney wrote:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:47 pm 

Visigoth's simple as hell but I think they're a lot less generic and more memorable than some of these bands.

Legionnaire and Burning Shadows are decent, definitely nothing new, but solid for what they're doing...which is mainly what I want, it doesn't have to be avant-garde or even as original as Slough Feg, but it seems like a lot of these bands just can't even write memorable music!

Also, Manilla Road did a commercial?!

Last edited by Nahsil on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:49 pm 

Personally there are some bands I'd rather listen to than Visigoth, they're just a bit too egregious to listen to constantly, but there's no denying how talented those guys are. Definitely one of the more ambitious and promising younger bands.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:42 pm 

Yeah Visigoth are pretty decent. Not a favorite or anything, but something I play once in awhile and enjoy. What I've heard of Burning Shadows is really good, need to listen to a full album soon. Legionnaire's something where it initially didn't click, but it seems like it might be something that has the potential to be a grower.

Quote:
Also, Manilla Road did a commercial?!

Hahahaha, what the actual fuck. I saw someone mention that on facebook but I didn't realize it was an actual commercial that the band actually made. I guess they're enough of a big deal locally to get asked to do something like that. Pure gold right there.

macmoney wrote:

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:55 pm 

Burning Shadows really got their shit together for Truth in Legend. Everything they released previously is pretty bad.

I think every second of The Armor of Ire is great. It's so true to itself. Trying to dissect it's riffing patterns and stuff won't benefit you much at all. The riffs are minimal but effective. It's all very economically written. It's more about the feel and atmosphere of it. Just sit back and let it take you places.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:52 am 

Oblarg wrote:
Yep, Flight of the Griffin is the best album of '84 imo.

:o Man. I do love it and would consider it one of the best of 84 but there's no way I can give it the crown. Battle Cry or Into Battle would edge it out for me and that's just off the top of my head.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:28 am 

Griffin, best of 84??? Haha, sorry, 84 is the year of Don't Break the Oath, Ride the Lightning, Powerslave, Metal Church, Ample Destruction, Defenders of the Faith, Last in Line, the two Manowar albums, shit, they just keep coming and those were from the top of my head!

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:42 am 

DON'T BREAK THE OATH! Exactly. 1984 is mathematically the greatest year for heavy metal. (Fuck 86!)

So I'm jamming Dawn of Genesis by Legionnaire. I remembered loving their demo material. This fucking RULES. Very authentic, just the right amount of raw and unpolished. Tons and tons of killer riffing packed into such a short album.

It keeps getting better as it goes! This reminds me of Lord Fist a bit, thinking that's in the vocals and melodies. It's got more muscle and less mysticism.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:40 pm 

Not to mention Battle Cry and Night on Brocken. Griffin are really fucking good mind you but not the best of 1984 by a long shot.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:09 pm 

Element_man wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Guys,

I'm on this nWOBHM kind of kick again. I started recommending stuff to a friend and it ended up with me listening to some releases from bands I'd sort of put aside for a while, like Fist, Chateaux, Elixir, Holocaust etc. I know most of the obvious bands. Guess I am looking for any more obscurities I might have missed, especially that have that 1979-1982 borderline approach and cool 70s style production. I especially like the weirder bands. Legend (the Death in the Nursery one) might be my favourite band from the whole scene. I know Chasar and Shiva and Preying mantis and Quartz and Deep Switch and Desolation Angels and Demon. I think I have a lot of the bases covered, but I'm interested in what anyone has to say about NWOBHm favourites, especially those bands that maybe released one great album and then disappeared, so don't have that much of a fanbase nowadays. But I'm also flexible....you can recommend me newer releases if you want, or stuff that doesn't strictly speaking fit into that "from Britain 1979-82" bracket, if you want, and think it fits. Thanks.

Oh man myself and my bandmates fell down a rabbit hole last week and we're getting really silly over NWOBHM shit. the band Energy was a cool recent discovery.

Energy, "Fight For Freedom"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcLDNM6aDCM

I've been hitting the keyboard stuff too. Wolf's Edge of the World has been getting serious rotation and so have White Spirit, plus the masterful Saracen. When we got to the really autistic stuff like Sanctus, Dawnwatcher, Triarchy and Phyne Thanqz we were basically fucked. "King for a King" by Sanctus has probably the coolest Mega Man intro you've never heard and then the verse starts and it's game over for everyone, especially the singer. Fun stuff.

Tredegar and Legend's Death in the Nursery are really rad too. Been vibing hard with "Why Don't You Kill Me" lately. Fantastic vocal lines on that track.

Yeah, "Why Don't You Kill Me" and "Prisoner" are two of my favourite tunes on there. But the whole album is incredibly strong. Just an unmistakable classic as far as I'm concerned, along with the rawer debut.

I do enjoy that Tredegar album. I need to try and buy it somehow. The version I downloaded from the internet is missing one of the best tracks! :lol:

Energy was really cool. Thanks for that. Sanctus? Your description was spot on. It has a certain charm to it, but I don't really enjoy those keyboards. haha....still interesting though.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:21 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Griffin, best of 84??? Haha, sorry, 84 is the year of Don't Break the Oath, Ride the Lightning, Powerslave, Metal Church, Ample Destruction, Defenders of the Faith, Last in Line, the two Manowar albums, shit, they just keep coming and those were from the top of my head!

Yeah, no kidding. 84 was an amazing year for metal.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:46 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:

I'd take Flight of the Griffin over any of those, easily. Only other '84 album that comes close is The Warning.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:24 pm 

Okay, the longer I think about albums from '84, the more albums I come up with. I'm not even crazy about a lot of the more well-known classics like Ride the Lightning, Powerslave, Defenders of the Faith, Don't Break the Oath (I still like all of them except Ride the Lightning but I'm not super crazy about them). But there's just so many fucking great albums from that year, way more than I remembered at first. Battle Cry, King of the Dead, Into Battle, Ample Destruction, Burning Star, Walpurgis Night, WASP, Metal Church, Hail to England, Night on Brocken (in addition to Griffin, obviously)... Just an incredible year. '85 and '86 both give it a run for its money, though. That stretch of three years was just such a magical time for metal.

macmoney wrote:

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:16 pm 

Operation Pivo wrote:
If you like gruff vocals, you've got to check out Stereo Nasty. Their singer obviously gargles razor blades and titanium coated bits of gravel for breakfast.

Woah! He sounds like the singer from Morgana Lefay, which means Jon Oliva stuck in overdrive. I wouldn't have given them a shot based on their retro cover art, but this is great. Their riffing is fairly diverse given the simple approach. And the vocals elevate the music and make them stand out from the pack. I'll definitely be returning to this.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:45 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
Operation Pivo wrote:
If you like gruff vocals, you've got to check out Stereo Nasty. Their singer obviously gargles razor blades and titanium coated bits of gravel for breakfast.

Woah! He sounds like the singer from Morgana Lefay, which means Jon Oliva stuck in overdrive. I wouldn't have given them a shot based on their retro cover art, but this is great. Their riffing is fairly diverse given the simple approach. And the vocals elevate the music and make them stand out from the pack. I'll definitely be returning to this.

He sounds like an even gruffer Jens Carlsson, actually. :V

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:30 pm 

Morgana Lefay's singer is freaking amazing. It's a pity the rest of the band kinda blows.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:43 pm 

Forgot to mention Lunar Shadow with the other new bands, they're good too:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:21 am 

Manilla Road's commercial is much better than Chris Barnes's. :P

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:16 pm 

Hey guys, I know it'll be close to impossible to find something as good and perfect as Satan's Life Sentence or Court in the Act but I'm looking for heavy metal in that vein. If those albums are not good enough reference points, I'm looking for heavy metal which is fast paced (not speed metal though), riffy, melodic to a certain degree and vocals which aren't too gruffy. Much thanks!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:59 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Hey guys, I know it'll be close to impossible to find something as good and perfect as Satan's Life Sentence or Court in the Act but I'm looking for heavy metal in that vein. If those albums are not good enough reference points, I'm looking for heavy metal which is fast paced (not speed metal though), riffy, melodic to a certain degree and vocals which aren't too gruffy. Much thanks!

I've got some suggestions for ya:

Triosphere
Ancient Empire
Black Knight
Hanker
Heavatar
HellHound
Helstar
Mary's Blood (technically power metal, but I DO WHAT I WANT)
Metal Church
Portrait
Riot
TANK
Tarot
Walpyrgus
Wolf

That should get you started. :V

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:19 pm 

shouvince wrote:

Madison - Lay Down Your Arms
Super-underrated new wave of Swedish heavy metal gem. Give it a second.

Avenger - Revenge Attack
Catchy and somewhat unknown NWOBHM. Not as brilliant as Satan, mind you.

Heir Apparent - The Servant
The best thing ever.

Tarot - Never Forever
Very riff-heavy neoclassical power-ish metal. Kind of like a cross between Satan and Helstar.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:56 pm 

shouvince wrote:

The other recs are good, I'll add Dark Forest. All their albums are good but I dislike The Awakening and think that Beyond The Veil is probably their best yet.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:57 am 

Huh Stereo Nasty isn't bad at all. The music is a bit too conventional for me, not enough surprises, but it is alright - riffs along well enough and they seem to have some real conviction at least. The vocals are great though. It really does sound like Charles Rytkonen from Morgana Lefay - man I miss those guys. Wonder if they'll come out with something else.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:32 pm 

Yeah, I was gonna say the same as Emp, Stereo Nasty sounds cool. Loving the throaty vocals.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:26 am 

Anybody here familiar with/have any opinions about Viva? Their first three albums featured Barbara Schenker (sister of Michael and Rudolf) on keyboards, which is intriguing to me. Further intriguing, is that on their MA page, it says they are often thought of as one of the first "real" German metal bands.

However, there is only one review here, for their third album, and it is pretty negative. The writer seems to like the keys and compares them to what you would hear in video games and that even further intrigues me, but the writer also says the guitars and everything else are in general boring throughout.

Wondering if anyone here is familiar with the band and can provide some more opinions, like what their best albums are, is the review here a good indication of their work or not, etc.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:35 am 

Hi,

I am really not well educated on heavy metal (90% = deathmetal) and sorts but I recently bought a lot of the Iron Maiden and Judas Priest discography.
the albums that stood out most to me are 'Painkiller' and 'Somewhere in Time'. I enjoyed the rest but not as much, I mainly enjoyed the melodies and the vocals did fit the albums best for me personally, though I must admit I am not used to clean vocals. The other albums of them were very good, but less my style or I need more time with them, there were a lot of hooks for me in all of them though.
can people recommend me a bit more albums which are somewhat similar in sound? bands can be from whatever year of course,

thanks.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:04 am 

For something similar to Painkiller, what about Riot's Thundersteel and Phantom's Cyberchrist?

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:20 am 

colin040 wrote:
For something similar to Painkiller, what about Riot's Thundersteel and Phantom's Cyberchrist?

dankje Colin, enjoyed those, not as much guitar solo's but still a very enjoyable vibe in the Painkiller area

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:15 pm 

Rompestromper wrote:
Hi,

I am really not well educated on heavy metal (90% = deathmetal) and sorts but I recently bought a lot of the Iron Maiden and Judas Priest discography.
the albums that stood out most to me are 'Painkiller' and 'Somewhere in Time'. I enjoyed the rest but not as much, I mainly enjoyed the melodies and the vocals did fit the albums best for me personally, though I must admit I am not used to clean vocals. The other albums of them were very good, but less my style or I need more time with them, there were a lot of hooks for me in all of them though.
can people recommend me a bit more albums which are somewhat similar in sound? bands can be from whatever year of course,

thanks.

Awesome man, congrats on your purchases. You may wanna check these beauties out:

Rage - From the Underworld

Steel Angel - Born in the Ocean

Gravestone - I Love the Night

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:35 pm 

Rompestromper wrote:
Hi,

thanks.

Liege Lord - Master Control
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction

Since you're a death metal person, I think you would not be put off by the rawness of Helloween's Walls of Jericho, described by none other than Lars Ulrich as "Iron Maiden at a million miles an hour"

Also Helloween - The Time of the Oath is very Painkiller inspired to my ears.

Last edited by kytokinesis on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:12 pm 

Rompestromper wrote:
Hi,

thanks.

For something more modern, check out Sacral Rage.

If you dig that, then the next things to check out are pre- and post-reunion Agent Steel.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:09 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
shouvince wrote:

I've got some suggestions for ya:

Triosphere
Ancient Empire
Black Knight
Hanker
Heavatar
HellHound
Helstar
Mary's Blood (technically power metal, but I DO WHAT I WANT)
Metal Church
Portrait
Riot
TANK
Tarot
Walpyrgus
Wolf

That should get you started. :V

I've listened to most of those bands before. But that Hanker song was right up my alley. Probably the closest to my requirement amongst all the recommendations! I'll definitely check out more from them. Thanks, Z!

Tanuki wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Madison - Lay Down Your Arms
Super-underrated new wave of Swedish heavy metal gem. Give it a second.

Avenger - Revenge Attack
Catchy and somewhat unknown NWOBHM. Not as brilliant as Satan, mind you.

Heir Apparent - The Servant
The best thing ever.

Tarot - Never Forever
Very riff-heavy neoclassical power-ish metal. Kind of like a cross between Satan and Helstar.

Those songs by Madison, Heir Apparent and that particular one by Tarot ruled!

kytokinesis wrote:
shouvince wrote:

The other recs are good, I'll add Dark Forest. All their albums are good but I dislike The Awakening and think that Beyond The Veil is probably their best yet.

I'm on their bandcamp already and I like what I hear. Thanks!

YevX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:06 pm 

Hey Can you Guys recommend me something like Malice, I realllly dig their Triumph And Glory Album.

YevX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:33 pm 

kytokinesis wrote:
Rompestromper wrote:
Hi,

thanks.

Also Helloween - The Time of the Oath is very Painkiller inspired to my ears.

I Would say Better Than Raw is another one by helloween in the painkiller realm.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 553, 554, 555, 556, 557, 558, 559 ... 624  Next