Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
So I'm still on a big Matthias Steele kick, listening to Haunting Tales, and watching live videos of them from a few years ago on YouTube ....

... this really doesn't sound like the same band that recorded Haunting Tales. I know they replaced 2 members, but they changed their style drastically. They're basically a hard rock band. Just indistinct "rock" with slight groove. And the new guitarist apparently doesn't play any guitar solos? Sorry but in a power trio the guitarist must play solos. You don't have to be Satriani but come on, try harder. And as far as I can tell they don't play any songs from their first two releases live. Time for an about face or a band name change IMHO.

... and then I go listen to Slauter Xstroyes from 2016. The contrast couldn't be any more stark. They sound better than ever and EXTREMELY metal. They play everything you'd wanna hear. They replaced 2 musicians too, but with guys who are great musicians, play in the right style, and do justice to their catalog.

Yeah Matthias Steele never released anything good other than Haunting Tales that I ever heard. The entire world gave non-extreme metal a gigantic collective "meh" right around 1990, which made nearly every band totally give up. Given that Haunting Tales was an incredibly ambitious album and probably took years to write and learn to play live, I can only imagine how disheartening it was to find that nobody wanted to hear it. I can't really blame them for abandoning that style, but I only wish they'd gotten enough of a cult following early enough that they could've made a comeback Helstar-style.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:44 am 

Just stumbled upon this fantastic EP from 2016, via NWOTHM Full Albums.

German USPM from Finand. It starts off great, and just gets better! The only thing I don't find fantastic about them is the name. Could have been more imaginative and thought provoking (yes, I do believe the whole package is important. It sounds more like a glam rock band name).
I might have a new favourite band!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:43 pm 

The new Power Quest is incredibly meh. "No More Heroes" and "Coming Home" are good tunes, for sure, and overall I wouldn't say it's a bad album, but...aside from those two songs, it's so pedestrian. The other songs have no spark, no life to them. "Pray for the Day" is especially infuriating, as it could be a great song full of delicious cheese if the instrumentation wasn't the most bare-bones boring garbage imaginable--literally just some 16th notes and the most predictable of power chords, when the song should be firing on all cylinders at double the speed, like Power Quest used to do on songs like "Into the Light." Siiiiigh.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:35 am 

Opus wrote:
Just stumbled upon this fantastic EP from 2016, via NWOTHM Full Albums.

German USPM from Finand. It starts off great, and just gets better! The only thing I don't find fantastic about them is the name. Could have been more imaginative and thought provoking (yes, I do believe the whole package is important. It sounds more like a glam rock band name).
I might have a new favourite band!

I listened to the first song and got hooked so I bought it on iTunes (had a few extra $$ lying around from last time I got an iTunes gift card). I'm on the third track, and so far so good, although the opener is the best.

Zelkiiro wrote:
The new Power Quest is incredibly meh. "No More Heroes" and "Coming Home" are good tunes, for sure, and overall I wouldn't say it's a bad album, but...aside from those two songs, it's so pedestrian. The other songs have no spark, no life to them. "Pray for the Day" is especially infuriating, as it could be a great song full of delicious cheese if the instrumentation wasn't the most bare-bones boring garbage imaginable--literally just some 16th notes and the most predictable of power chords, when the song should be firing on all cylinders at double the speed, like Power Quest used to do on songs like "Into the Light." Siiiiigh.

I liked it quite a bit. The last song was really good. Face the Raven for some reason sounded more lifeless compared to the EP though. I still haven't heard any of the old Power Quest stuff (never found them on CD), but I think I like it better than Blood Alliance and Master of Illusion (the other two I have).

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:27 pm 

Some (re)discoveries of the last weeks:

New Eden - I'm not sure about the majority of their discography but their debut is seriously killer uspm. Riff-y and always exciting with an enthusiastic wailer of a vocalist on top.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD0NOo7sICQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0VIP_7081Q

Pokolgép - Again it's just the debut I've heard but it's pretty decent 80s Priest/Accept-inspired stuff. I remember them finding just a bit underwhelming but this isn't bad at all. From what I've sampled, the second album sounds more like my thing though.

Crows - Their only album is pretty bizarre. They were a German yet they remind me more of very early Queensryche mixed with the proggy influences of late 80s/early 90s Fates Warning stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNF4Sya3wXQ

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:33 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:

I liked it quite a bit. The last song was really good. Face the Raven for some reason sounded more lifeless compared to the EP though. I still haven't heard any of the old Power Quest stuff (never found them on CD), but I think I like it better than Blood Alliance and Master of Illusion (the other two I have).

Their best albums are Neverworld and Magic Never Dies easy. I bought the mp3 album for Neverworld because I couldn't find the CD - worth it. You gotta check those out.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:51 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Crows - Their only album is pretty bizarre. They were a German yet they remind me more of very early Queensryche mixed with the proggy influences of late 80s/early 90s Fates Warning stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNF4Sya3wXQ

This album is absolutely amazing and feels like Scanner-lite (Terminal Earth in particular). It got a reissue on Divebomb a few years back and I'm so happy to have discovered it because of them.

Empyreal wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

Their best albums are Neverworld and Magic Never Dies easy. I bought the mp3 album for Neverworld because I couldn't find the CD - worth it. You gotta check those out.

I recently gave in and signed up for Spotify so I think you're right.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:53 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Some (re)discoveries of the last weeks:

New Eden - I'm not sure about the majority of their discography but their debut is seriously killer uspm. Riff-y and always exciting with an

Their album Stagnant Progression is a riff monster

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:51 pm 

The second Pokolgep album fucking rips!

I got in For the Universe by Martyr. It's definitely special. Can't wait to get more time and spins in. It's basically an EP, which rules.

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:25 pm 

Martyr is so cool. I wish another band sounded even close to them. Trial does a pretty good job, but even their approach isn't super similar.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:32 pm 

Divinity Compromised's Terminal album is really growing on me - dark, dense, complex prog/power... not a lot of immediate hooks, but a lot of grandeur, drama and different ideas from the norm. These guys have real fucking ambition.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:46 am 

CCSaint10 wrote:
Martyr is so cool. I wish another band sounded even close to them. Trial does a pretty good job, but even their approach isn't super similar.

Man I can't believe they don't have any "Similar Artists" listed from their own era. It sounded great but I didn't think it was THAT unique! I'm going to have to pay it more for sure. I've got it jamming at work right now but I need some attentive listens.

I picked up the Dutch Steel compilation that they were featured on. The artwork was too sick and it was pretty cheap on vinyl:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/M ... eel/357067

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:50 pm 

What do you guys think of the band WINTERKILL? Looks like it is Slauter with a new vocalist (the guy from Tyrant's Reign". Best album?

So far it sounds a lot more thrash and the guitars and vocals sound a lot more one dimensional.

So far I think I like the first Spirit Web album a lot more than this one.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:41 am 

Jonpo wrote:
The second Pokolgep album fucking rips!

I just gave it a spin this morning and I can confirm it really fucking does. The debut isn't really bad but this record just grabs my attention straight away. My favorite tracks are the second and the seventh tracks so far. The former is a cool Accept-ish number while the latter some nice blazing speedy tune.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 am 

Yeah it's the only thing I have by them, currently. I haven't played it in a few months but it always grabs me. They do just kinda float back and forth between charging street-level speed metal and Accept-style crunch.

If you get into the next album at all I'd love to hear your hot take on it. I've read some real mixed reviews. The cover art speaks to me though.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:30 am 

I'll probably just go chronologically from here...that third album does have a much more promising cover artwork though, looks very power metal-esque.

I've also checked Omen's Feketében recently and I like it quite a bit too. I should revisit Ossian again, too.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:29 pm 

Help. I am picturing an album cover with a yellowish/golden robot guy waiting 'round a corner holding a pistol up near his head. I thought it was the cover for Terminal Earth but I'm way wrong. It's driving me nuts and I have no coherent criteria to search. What record am I picturing?

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 pm 

Sounds very much like Survival in the Street by Assault

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:52 pm 

God almighty thank you, that was driving me NUTS. And it rules! I'm going to order this. I'm also going to order Hypertrace as a happy accident hahah.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:00 pm 

All Kalapacs era Pokolgep era is great. The first album with Rudan Joe, too. I should review them all... but I don't have time.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 pm 

Zions Abyss - TALES. This one is a really well-done, and better than 90% of the USPM out there. Excellent vocals and good musicianship.

"Final Command" to me is the real stand out track here. "Darkest Dream" has a horrible riff at the beginning though, and "Running out of time" is really annoying.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:40 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Zions Abyss - TALES. This one is a really well-done, and better than 90% of the USPM out there. Excellent vocals and good musicianship.

That band is Canadian, actually, but I know what you mean.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:40 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
All Kalapacs era Pokolgep era is great. The first album with Rudan Joe, too. I should review them all... but I don't have time.

I guess I was still foolish enough to wonder about Boris' review. I specifically pulled up the second half of the album which he calls a slog and it sounds great to me. The ballad is actually really well done, and sets up the last song to sound even harder-edged. Ordered!

edit: I just wanted to drop a friendly reminder that Black Viper's "Storming with Vengeance" demo from last year is one of the best things in recent memory. For fans of Savage Grace and Agent Steel, with some USPM muscle/atmosphere thrown in on the last track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td6SljXd1l8

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:08 pm 

This Assault album is cool. I'll check out Zions Abyss after this is done.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:00 am 

Yeah I had never heard Survival in the Streets until yesterday but the cover always stuck with me. I sampled just a few minutes and knew I had to have it. I'm finally settled into a new, stable place and can order records again. I've been going hard.

I can't get over For the Universe by Martyr. Was just reading Joph's review for the follow-up and it's hard to believe they get even better? We'll see! They do have a very unique character. It's charging and complex but as he states, kind of naive in it's way. I love that they aren't afraid to throw in some spacey laser-synths or the occasional atmosphere-break. Really phenomenal record.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:48 pm 

Yeah, Martyr is fantastic. Pretty unique stuff; a couple other things I've heard have some similar elements, like the naive, kind of relaxed style (Defender's They Came Over the High Pass particularly comes to mind), but they were very special and just incredibly consistent over their two 80s albums, not having a bad song for a style they basically came up with themselves. Just make sure to avoid any of their reunion stuff like the plague. Not even a glimmer of their early greatness there.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:15 pm 

Hahah I wouldn't dream of touching their newer stuff, that artwork tells the whole story. I made note of "They Came over the High Pass", going to get a copy eventually.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:39 am 

Absolutely loving Antioch - Antioch III: Wings and Warlocks. Clearly worshiping at the alter of Priest but unlike most bands that come across as uninspired clones these guys have that 'Magic' that makes this album anything but clone drivel. My opinion anyway. But man, that vocalist can channel Halford pretty damn good yet still have his own distinct charm.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:09 pm 

Caspian's war on Manilla Road continues. He's entitled to his opinion, but I disagree so damn hard. Mark Shelton's weird, warbly vocals are half of the reason I adore Crystal Logic!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:52 am 

Spinning Ossian's debut now and I really like it so far. The sharp guitar tone rules, as does the mannered sounding vocalist.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:39 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I made note of "They Came over the High Pass", going to get a copy eventually.

They Came Over the High Pass is great, it's basically a solo project from that dude in Afflicted who really, really likes power metal. A companion piece to Afflicted's second album.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:06 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Caspian's war on Manilla Road continues. He's entitled to his opinion, but I disagree so damn hard. Mark Shelton's weird, warbly vocals are half of the reason I adore Crystal Logic!

I've never read anything more wrong in my life than that review.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:24 pm 

Some people don't get Manilla Road and that's ok. They've never been for everybody.

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:25 am 

High Roller recently reissued Dominator by Cloven Hoof. I'm very curious to see how the remastering was done on this, as it was done by Patrick W. Engel, who so far is worth his weight. I haven't heard a bad remaster by him yet, though some could stand to be a bit quieter. Dominator historically had issues with sound quality, and it doesn't seem like any reissue of it thus far has managed to make it sound any better. I have the 2012 Buried by Time and Dust vinyl version and it's merely okay, and I don't have the original vinyl to compare it to.

Apparently the multi-track masters were lost, which is a shame, but he was at least able to use a quarter inch master tape for the remastering process, as Lee Payne explains on the product page. Hopefully something could have been worked from that, if nothing else, and that also means it won't be a vinyl transfer, which I think the 2011 CD was. The 2012 reissue of A Sultan's Ransom that HRR did back in 2012 is awful, but this time an engineer I can trust is behind the remastering, so hopefully it turns out.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:36 pm 

The German reboot of Savage Grace, Masters of Disguise just dropped a new album. Sounds pretty solid. Looks like they're coming into their own identity and leaving the imagery of that Savage Grace debut behind. Music is still classic German PM meets Savage Grace.

https://mastersofdisguise.bandcamp.com/ ... lpha-omega

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:14 pm 

Fucking hell, another Dominator reissue? I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship. Maybe this time things will be different!

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:23 pm 

Haha yeah, it's kind of weird. Plus there's apparently a reissue by the label Classic Metal that ALSO came out this year! No word on how that one sounds. Frankly I'm more interested in the HRR package, but I have no money right now. :V

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:08 am 

So I got And The Cannons of Destruction Have Begun... and A Distant Thunder in the mail yesterday. The first wave of an onslaught that's headed to my doorstep.

Holy shit, Warlord. They are good on Deliver Us but GOD DAMN! Everything is taken completely over the top for this LP. I guess there's a different singer? He rules. Also what has to be THE definitive version of Child of the Damned. It's so much faster and heavier. The drums on this entire album really do sound like cannon fire or artillery shelling. Phenomenal.

I only got to play the first half of A Distant Thunder but I was completely smitten. Helstar have grown on me by leaps and bounds. It all started when Nosferatu clicked. I'm still warming up to Remnants of War but this one grabbed me immediately. I was hoping to hear some precursor elements to Nosferatu and I wasn't let down. Hyperspeed riffing and I love what Rivera is doing all over the first half.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:13 am 

Jonpo wrote:
So I got And The Cannons of Destruction Have Begun... and A Distant Thunder in the mail yesterday. The first wave of an onslaught that's headed to my doorstep.

Holy shit, Warlord. They are good on Deliver Us but GOD DAMN! Everything is taken completely over the top for this LP. I guess there's a different singer? He rules. Also what has to be THE definitive version of Child of the Damned. It's so much faster and heavier. The drums on this entire album really do sound like cannon fire or artillery shelling. Phenomenal.

I only got to play the first half of A Distant Thunder but I was completely smitten. Helstar have grown on me by leaps and bounds. It all started when Nosferatu clicked. I'm still warming up to Remnants of War but this one grabbed me immediately. I was hoping to hear some precursor elements to Nosferatu and I wasn't let down. Hyperspeed riffing and I love what Rivera is doing all over the first half.

Yeah. Those are both amazing releases. I think that's Rivera's best vocal performance.

Remnants of War is a very different style from their neoclassical stuff, more meat and potatoes, but very good in its own right.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:20 am 

Yeah I think Remnants of War might actually be really special, it's just taking me some time. It's one of the darkest and heaviest USPM albums I've ever heard. It doesn't have that signature skating-on-ice riffing style they developed on the next two. It's a lot of really muscular, meaty riffs. More lopping off heads with a battle axe than parrying and riposting, if you will.

Last edited by Jonpo on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565, 566 ... 624  Next