Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:52 pm 

Wow, folks complaining about a god damn perfect album...

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:05 pm 

Ehh, I never got into that album to begin with. Give me Warniiiiing! instead.

Since I've been working on a review for Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry I've figured out I prefer that one over No Exit by far these days. It's not as riff-heavy but it's more cohesive and Ray Alder sounds a bit more suitable on there.

Speaking of Ray Alder, I believe he should have changed his name to Ray Older once he wasn't able to hit those high notes anymore.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:36 pm 

infrablack wrote:

Phrasing like this is what incites me to trash beloved albums in the first place (only if I actually dislike them, of course). Acting like there are certain albums that are just objectively great, or "perfect," as you so quaintly put it. It's fine that tons of people love the album, and it's fine that me and a handful of other people don't really like it much. When either side starts presenting their opinion as fact, that's when I start to have a problem and feel the need to say, no, this is not an objective fact.

(That wasn't meant to be personal to you or anyone else in the discussion, it's just a pet peeve of mine when people treat opinion as fact, and I addressed the fact in hopes that someone will realize that this only incites those with minority opinions. So if people are miffed at something like Mindcrime getting shat on, well, perhaps explaining what you like about it would be better than simply saying it's "perfect." Empyreal does this in a perfectly fine manner. But a one-liner complaining about complainers...well, that's both illogical and unnecessary. If you're going to defend an album/band/whatever, you should gives some actual reasons that you think it should be defended, otherwise the discussion just stagnates.)

/rant

In an effort not to come off as completely negative, I'll suggest some more obscure stuff that I *do* actually like and that I think other people around here would probably also like! That is the intended purpose of the thread, after all.

Annon Vin is a prog metal band I haven't seen discussed much (if it all?) around here. Their sole full-length A New Gate is really interesting stuff. It uses dissonant and mechanical riffs a la Voivod, but uses a lot of multi-tracked vocal harmonies. Not sure if it's just me, but the way it's presented reminds me of...barber shop quartets. That is, strangely, the second time I've encountered this style in metal, with Deep Switch being the first (they use it only sparingly in conjunction with other styles, but it is there). Check out this track which has some of the coolest vocal melodies:

Also, I've been on a bit of an early/proto-metal kick lately, and I found Sudden Death. I'm not sure how well-known they are, but I hadn't noticed the name until I started actively seeking shit out, so I'd guess not everyone is familiar with them. Unfortunately, they only have one album and only one song on the album is really heavy/metal, but hoo boy, is it a good one! The singer (can't find the names of the band members anywhere even after spending a few minutes on various search engines) is fucking amazing, has this swagger and effortless croon that brings to mind Sean Harris of Diamond Head, and also randomly goes into super high register out of nowhere. Check it out! Allegedly from 1971, which would be slightly interesting, although it wasn't released to the public until 1995. Either way, really rad tune. I wish this guy had done more hard rock/metal stuff.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:02 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Since I've been working on a review for Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry I've figured out I prefer that one over No Exit by far these days. It's not as riff-heavy but it's more cohesive and Ray Alder sounds a bit more suitable on there.

PS is an amazing album, and the instrumental music is extremely well-composed. It's much better than "No Exit" in virtually every way (although I enjoy NE a lot).

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:00 pm 

Been REALLY getting into Freternia lately. I'm usually more of a blue collar USPM fan like Omen, Manilla Road, Liege Lord and such but this band is realllllly good European Power Metal with balls and catchy choruses. Can anyone recommend similar, lesser known power metal bands like Freternia and a lesser degree Persuader?

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:13 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
infrablack wrote:

Acting like there are certain albums that are just objectively great, or "perfect," as you so quaintly put it. It's fine that tons of people love the album, and it's fine that me and a handful of other people don't really like it much. When either side starts presenting their opinion as fact, that's when I start to have a problem and feel the need to say, no, this is not an objective fact.

If tons of people love an album and especially an album that's been out for 30 years that means to me that that album must be fucking good. If a handful of others don't like it, to me that means that not everyone can love the same thing. That does not change the fact (sorry, I really do see this as a fact) that the album is great. Especially since we are talking about an album that has stood the test of time and its legacy speaks for itself.

Every negative opinion about it can of course be true to that person. We all have our own truths and tastes and I can respect them (if sincere and informed, not the rantings of someone who likes to talk shit for whatever reason - I of course do not mean you here). But stuff like "badly written" or "paced" or whatever are just poorly chosen words instead of "it doesn't move me". Some albums and bands have stood the test of time. I don't take seriously opinions that say that "Operation Mindcrime" (or "Master of Puppets" or "Somewhere in Time" or "Hall of the Mountain King" or...) are anything but obviously great albums. Pick another word. Say "I don't like this direction" or "I hate guitar synths" or "the storyline is corny" or "I hate Tate's style" or something to that effect. What makes something bad to you is not enough to go against history and obvious legacy to question peaks of a genre. Nothing wrong with questioning of course or debating but I think the only thing to question here is whether OM is a flawless masterpiece in every single respect (I don't think it is) or "merely" a heavy metal milestone and exemplar.

This does not mean that anyone is obliged to worship all the sacred albums of metal, nor that albums that haven't left a permanent mark in culture (or subculture, the relevant audience in any case) cannot be awesome or perfect. Thousands of underrated gems out there. Shitting on established albums to me is a fun subject among friends to kick some shit around and share our tastes. Get to know each other. I don't see any merit in spending time discussing whether Operation Mindcrime is actually a bloody good album.

My opinion of course. I think there are objective indications for quality. Not absolute indications and time being the most important (time washes away hypes, trends and marketing campaigns) followed by fans and followers. Influence. Diversity in opinion when asked what is the best album by a band, or best song in an album. Ask the thrashers, which are great albums, see which albums and bands pop up all the time. That is obviously NOT coincidence. An album selling after 30 years in big numbers. Cannot be a coincidence, must be something good.

Ask people into obscure metal some classic albums and all of a sudden you get the same effect. Relevant audience, relevant answer. I would never ask a prog freak to tell me the best Helstar album nor an AOR enthusiast the best Death album.

Sorry for the rant, had a big discussion sometime ago on the exact same subject and I've given it some thought. I am not even a particularly fervent Queensryche fan, I prefer Lethal's Programmed over any QR album but there you go. :P

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:17 pm 

Fuck Operation Mindcrime. Boring, bloated, overrated album. Everything Queensryche did before it was infinitely better. It has a few good songs but otherwise it just smells its own farts for an hour.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:53 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
If tons of people love an album and especially an album that's been out for 30 years that means to me that that album must be fucking good. If a handful of others don't like it, to me that means that not everyone can love the same thing. That does not change the fact (sorry, I really do see this as a fact) that the album is great. Especially since we are talking about an album that has stood the test of time and its legacy speaks for itself.

Yeah, I just completely disagree with this on every level. I strongly believe that this is the wrong way to talk about anything to promote intelligent discussion, as stating opinions as facts (which is, literally, still what you are doing however much you may think otherwise) just immediately causes things to devolve into pointless back and forth "you're wrong!" "no you're wrong!" banter. Saying any form of art is objectively great is just an excuse not to engage in a more well-thought out discussion and not have to come up with any valid reasons for *why* the album is good. This is a discussion thread; we can argue semantics on what constitutes fact or opinion for years, but at the end of the day, one-liners that state that certain albums are good, without providing any sort of reason or description is simply antithetical to any sort of meaningful discussion.

I'm not trying to minimod or force anybody to do certain things in the thread, I'm just expressing my frustration towards single sentence posts defending or attacking albums, either one, which unfortunately have been continuing to pop up around here. I will not derail this thread any further with my venting, if anyone would like to address anything I've mentioned via PM I'd be happy to discuss it, but I feel any further ranting here would be gratuitous and the opposite of what I am trying to suggest here, which is how to move the thread towards more interesting and thoughtful discussion. Again, nothing personal against any particular person.

I will add, in a more relevant manner, that I largely agree in regards to Lethal's Programmed; I have a similar experience with it that I have to QR's The Warning, which is that I can't point out any obvious flaws, and while at occasional points in the respective albums I do find myself enjoying certain ideas, they just refuse to click (granted, I've probably only listened to Programmed around half a dozen time, whereas The Warning is at least a dozen). The only Queensryche album I've been able to enjoy in a very long time is the EP, which strikes me as much more full of energy and to the point than anything they would put out thereafter. All their other albums drag for me pretty badly, although I do like certain parts of The Warning, Mindcrime, and Promised Land. Rage for Order and Empire I find to be garbage with the exception of "Walk in the Shadows" on RfO and the title track of Empire.

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:29 am 

I tried that Lethal album and it just sounded far too derivative of QR to be really interesting to me. Like I don't even see the point if you're going to sound that much like another band. Maybe I'll give it another try though, been a few years.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:11 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Like I don't even see the point if you're going to sound that much like another band.

I just think of it as an extra bonus album from a band that just so happened to be made by another band. :V

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Like I don't even see the point if you're going to sound that much like another band.

I just think of it as an extra bonus album from a band that just so happened to be made by another band. :V

Yeah but there will never be the same kind of innovation or spark of the original band in many such acts - which is the X factor that makes a band interesting to me.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:31 am 

I don't think lethal is a qr clone, rather simply were inspired by them.

Which qr album did they supposedly clone? I can tell the guitar riffing apart. Qr are less aggressive frankly and have more harmonies and better leads.

I'm very excited that lethal finally has a new album in the can!

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:40 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
without providing any sort of reason

Ι think I provided a very explicit reason but you just refuse to accept it. Unless you claim that *the fact* (I am not making this up) that most people into hard rock/heavy metal really think OM is a milestone album is a *COINCIDENCE* or doesn't mean anything or have been brainwashed for 30 years or that so many bands and singers tried to emulate Tate means nothing, then I guess I did not give you a single reason whatsoever. If you can show me that all this is an illusion and in fact OM is not this popular with METALHEADS (not pop fans...) and that tons of bands weren't influenced by it, by all means, I'm all ears.

I don't see why the above stiffles intelligent discussion. You have something to say about the album's success? Why is it successful? Why do people like it? Why was Dickinson so frustrated with 7th Son and drooled all over OM? Haven't you ever wondered? "Overrated" as a conclusion generates discussion? So what kind of justification do you have for your remark "*Clearly* no real effort put into [the story]"? Not clear at all. You say ballad after ballad after ballad. So? I guess that means that Streets by Savatage is also bad because it has ballad after ballad after ballad (I love Streets). Which basically means "it's not really HEAVY" (so, not "true" enough?) which says nothing of its quality, it only speaks about your own particular wants and tastes. But I am of the opinion that an album must be judged for what it is and not what we wanted it to be. Of course, you may choose to ignore collective wisdom but do not tell me this conclusion has no reasoning behind it.

I will however concede that Geoff Tate (and not Operation Mincrime of course) really begun to smell his own farts after that album and all the praise he got. I never liked Tate, the person. Smart guy who fell in love with himself to the point of turning into an actual idiot.

Lethal is obviously one of those heavily influenced by QR bands. A Cloneryche band is too harsh a statement for any of those bands but eh, you know what they mean. Tom Malicoat really channels Tate on Programmed but I actually prefer him to Tate. He has one otouch of insanity in his articulation that I really like. Like the way he articulates "from the womb of my dying muthaaaaah", shit like that. Dane had that too in Sanctuary.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:07 am 

I'm going to listen to Operation Mindcrime soon. I remember it being completely toothless. A concept with no riffs to keep me interested in the story. But The Warning was a big grower for me, maybe O:M is the same deal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:09 am 

Huh, trying Lethal again and I actually like it, not sure why I thought of them the way I said above. This is pretty cool. Maybe I had tried something else and confused it with this - or maybe I was just not in the mood last time. I vaguely remember just thinking it was generic as hell in that it sounded like a bunch of other, earlier bands, but clearly this was a case of not listening close enough. This is kinda 50/50 mid-80s Maiden and early 'Ryche, kind of right in the middle.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:13 pm 

While on the topic of Queensryche, Condition Human is really underrated IMO. Surprisingly meatier record than their 2013 album. I was impressed. Probably their riffiest since Mindcrime.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:37 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
The only Queensryche album I've been able to enjoy in a very long time is the EP, which strikes me as much more full of energy and to the point than anything they would put out thereafter. All their other albums drag for me pretty badly, although I do like certain parts of The Warning, Mindcrime, and Promised Land. Rage for Order and Empire I find to be garbage with the exception of "Walk in the Shadows" on RfO and the title track of Empire.
See, I'm the opposite. I don't really bother with the EP anymore, except to scream "Queen Of The Ryche" at parties or karaoke or whatever. The rest of their DeGarmo-era material is so rich in other ways for me.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:08 pm 

Well, I'm more of a USPM fan than anything else, and I think we can all agree it's their most USPM album, at least. The first three full-lengths stray far more into rock territory.

kytokinesis wrote:
While on the topic of Queensryche, Condition Human is really underrated IMO. Surprisingly meatier record than their 2013 album. I was impressed. Probably their riffiest since Mindcrime.

Wow, you weren't kidding. I hadn't bothered listening to it yet since the last one was fairly bland and safe, but "Guardian" at least, which I've just heard, is one of the heaviest songs the band has ever put out, and seems relatively inspired as well. I won't expect the rest of the album to be consistently on that level, but color me impressed. Certainly never expected the band to ever get this aggressive again.

macmoney wrote:

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:22 pm 

"Guardian" is really the only good song on that album IMHO.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:34 pm 

Condition Human is a pretty lame album. I just found it to be so bland and safe. It's essentially their version of Carcass' last album or Sabbath's '13' - it sounds old school but has none of the substance their old material actually had, instead just trying to appeal to fans in an almost desperate manner. I liked the previous s/t album more actually, that was an interesting little album.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:41 pm 

"Guardian" alone makes it better than the previous album already, probably my favorite QR song post-Mindcrime now. But I'll reserve further judgment until tomorrow when I have a chance to hear the album in full.

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:27 pm 

I dunno, I can't remember what that one sounded like and can still remember a lot of songs off the s/t. Who knows though!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 pm 

That last album had a few songs I really liked, like "Arrow of Time" and "Selfish Lives." :V

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 pm 

I agree about Guardian being their best song in a long time, but I think you'll be disappointed with the rest of the album. I can't believe they let that 20 year old kid with painted nails write for queensryche. How could that possibly end up well.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:05 am 

Anyone here a fan of Catharsis from the US? Pretty complex prog/power in the vein of early Psychotic Waltz or something along those lines.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:42 am 

Count me in! I have that CD and I got it precisely because it was described to me as a band that is similar to Psychotic Waltz. It did not disappoint, great riffage and vocals. I remember getting confused at some point in IRC (90s...) with a guy who was looking for Catharsis, got enthusiastic that I had the CD and it turned out he was looking for a hardcore band...

In the same vein, Lord Bane's Age of Elegance (excellent prog/power, some QR, some Crimson Glory influence). Great album.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:12 pm 

Yeah, I like Catharsis and Lord Bane quite a bit. That Shawn Ames guy seems like a real weirdo on YouTube/social media. Not as bad as Cyriis though. Just release new music, play a show, or shut up.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:10 pm 

Whenever Lord Bane is mentioned, I feel a need to plug Hittman. Like a bit more speed metal-y Crimson Glory.
The sound on youtube is much, much worse then on the actual album, although it does have that 80s production.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:28 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Yeah, I like Catharsis and Lord Bane quite a bit. That Shawn Ames guy seems like a real weirdo on YouTube/social media. Not as bad as Cyriis though. Just release new music, play a show, or shut up.

Oh, I KNOW. I've spent some time talking with him on FB.

Hittman! Classic! Since we are dropping classic US stuff, one more mention of Leatherwolf, whose 87 album is one of my favorite things from the genre.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:28 pm 

What are the best Hittman songs? I didn't care for the 1st two tracks and turned it off.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:55 pm 

Has anyone here heard of the band Kalevala from Brazil? I just discovered them recently, and they're like a mix of Manilla Road, Omen, and Brocas Helm. The vocalist kicks serious ass, with falsettos to rival Danny White of Cauldron Born.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZp9DsdOzzY

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:29 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Anyone here a fan of Catharsis from the US? Pretty complex prog/power in the vein of early Psychotic Waltz or something along those lines.

Yeah, I dig them. Pretty rich stuff that I don't listen to too often, but that comes with the territory. It has been a while, though. I should probably give it a spin again soon.

Not familiar with Lord Bane, though the name does ring a bell. I'll have to check it out.

That Kalevala name also rings a bell, I think I may have checked it a long time ago after seeing it on SKR (that's what my brain is telling me anyway), but I don't remember the music that well. I'll have to check that link soon, those are some pretty insane comparisons.

Oh yeah, also I listened to Condition Human. The first four tracks were great and the title track was great. The rest was suck. However, considering how little I like the band, that makes it my second-favorite full-length of theirs. :P

Edit again: Kalevala seems cool. This guy is okay - he does pull out some excellent shrieks occasionally, but his main delivery is nothing to write home about. The riffing is fantastic, though. Cauldron Born comparison is spot on in that regard.

macmoney wrote:

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:39 am 

on the topic of Queensryche, I've recently learned there are actual recordings of the Tate and Kelly Gray's old band Myth actually exist. nothing super mindblowing, but neat nonetheless. kinda sounds like WASP/Crue some minor white collar USPM vibes in the solos (I guess that's what Lizzy Borden does too? idk). whoever the singer is on the first song reminds me of Chastain.

"Let me Hear the Thunder"
FAST

SLOW

some kinda old version of "Take Hold of the Flame" that sounds totally different, much faster

Catharsis is pretty cool, sounds like a 90s version of Spiral Architect. Though it's pretty hard to not think of Zakk wylde during those egregious pinch harmonics/
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:25 am 

I had heard that Myth demo LP thing but never that version of Take Hold of the Flame, holy shit that's good stuff. That brief break a little two minutes in and then the rhythm change was really intense. The keyboards don't take away from the heaviness of those riffs at all either. And then that rapid double-bass drum part and more bursting leads, this is like when I heard Energetic Disassembly for the first time only fronted by an artist I thought I knew well. Damn. I didn't know any metal song existed like that in 1982. What release is that from? The only 1982 demo I know about is the one with Scarborough Fair and Raising Fear.

When it comes to Ryche-y metal, Drive's Characters in Time has always been one of my favorites, I think being a Texan band made them a little more off-kilter and aggressive than stuff like Hittman or Recon.

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:11 am 

miskatonic79 wrote:
Been REALLY getting into Freternia lately. I'm usually more of a blue collar USPM fan like Omen, Manilla Road, Liege Lord and such but this band is realllllly good European Power Metal with balls and catchy choruses. Can anyone recommend similar, lesser known power metal bands like Freternia and a lesser degree Persuader?

Hi,

you known Veonity from Sweden?

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:06 pm 

MasterOfSin wrote:
miskatonic79 wrote:

Hi,

you known Veonity from Sweden?

Thanks!!!! I thought my question got lost over the arguing over Operation Mindcrime lol! Anyways, no. That's a band I havn't heard before. Checking them out now!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:12 am 

So I've been spinning Blind Guardian's Follow the Blind a lot lately and was convinced this was still a speedy album, but it sounds rather thrashy instead. Great album!

RUN! FAST! TO MADNESS! :headbang:

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:40 am 

What a fucking great album..."Damned For All Time" and the title track are my absolute favorites. Also Hansi doesn't over-sing the fuck out of it as he does on the albums that followed.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:43 am 

I actually wish Hansi sang like he does on Imaginations on every album. That raspy screaming is so fucking epic. I saw BG live recently and the songs really deteriorate when he doesn't do that shit. Case in point, the chorus on IFTOS, the song, OUT OF THE DAAAARK, BACK TO THE LIGHT...etc, that right there is THE SHIT. And he doesn't do that live anymore, he sings it very timidly, one octave lower.

Follow the Blind is great, much better production from the debut and everyone is just better at what they do. Still, I think their peak era begins with the next album.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:54 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
What are the best Hittman songs? I didn't care for the 1st two tracks and turned it off.

You didn't like Metal Sport? I think it's a great heavy/power metal opener, love the Priest solo section, what's not to like? I like the second one Dead on Arrival even more. :(

And you turned it off at the more hard rocking Will You Be There, which is another good one. Honestly I really like the whole album, so I don't know what to tell you. My favorites are Dead on Arrival, Breakout and the last two songs on the album, Behind the Lines and The Test of Time.

I will say that I do not consider this even remotely a speed metal album (fastest song being Caught in the Crossfire, which for 1988 is quite tame. Abused label, "speed metal"...), although it does have definite similarities with Crimson Glory as mentioned. Early Queensryche, even more so (check out Behind the Lines for that). I'd call it a hard n' heavy-ish power metal album, if anything. I also like Dirk Kennedy's vocals. Charles Sabin of Toxik reminded me of him.

In any case, this is a very tasteful US Metal album imo. Some of the choruses leave something to be desired (not bad for sure) but overall there are some pretty brilliant stuff in here imo, total 80s metal magic. Not the most technical stuff or anything like that but damn good nevertheless.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 564, 565, 566, 567, 568, 569, 570 ... 624  Next