Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:57 am 

Required Fields wrote:
I'm looking for thrash metal which is inspired by Num Skull's Ritually Abused and/or Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death.

Hm, that's pretty specific... To my mind come:

Laceration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnUZLtwYtus

Cyst https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqlRAOvU24c

Besieged https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQB_Gh0DNQY

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:15 pm 

Hey, guys. Here's one very simple question for you: I having been meaning to check Sodom's discography more thoroughly for a long time; I have listened to their 80s material mostly because of their significant influence on the Norwegian black metal wave, but my knowledge on their discography ends there. According to many, the band has always put out quality material but what are the absolutely essential Sodom albums in your opinion? Thanks in advance!

Yes it is.

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:59 am 

LefterisK wrote:
what are the absolutely essential Sodom albums in your opinion?

Obsessed By Cruelty
Persecution Mania
Agent Orange
Tapping The Vein
M-16

Less essential but also good:

Better Off Dead
Code Red

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:40 am 

seconded

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:13 pm 

brain hammer wrote:
LefterisK wrote:
what are the absolutely essential Sodom albums in your opinion?

Obsessed By Cruelty
Persecution Mania
Agent Orange
Tapping The Vein
M-16

Less essential but also good:

Better Off Dead
Code Red

I would argue Better Off Dead is essential because they filter Motörhead through the German thrash aural aesthetic. So you've got a lot of good mid-paced classic heavy metal in one part of the song, and then a hard-transition to thrash and what comes out the other end is just awesome.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:51 pm 

I'm going nuts trying to find a thrash album I downloaded and I can't remember the name of the band. It's thrash, I'm pretty sure the group is Canadian, and the cover is a black/blue color scheme with a large demonic/skeletal face in the middle. Thanks to whoever in adavnce!

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 pm 

Powertrap by Disciples of Power, maybe?

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:26 pm 

That's the one. Thanks very much dude!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:36 pm 

I just felt like I had to inform you guys that Masquerader - Vortex Day Zero is a modern-day tech thrash masterpiece.

I rarely hear any metal album these days that I think is this good.

Here's my review, to give you a bit more detail:
"Vocals are melodic and mostly mid-range. Guitar rhythms are pretty unorthodox, and are well-arranged. Most songs are uptempo. Wah guitar solos. Musicianship is very good.

Excellent stuff here. This is a modern-day thrash classic.

Favorite tracks:
All tracks are interesting listens

This album might appeal to fans of Obliveon, Depressive Age, Voivod, and Valkyria."

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:46 am 

Just had an opportunity to listen to that Masquerader album, definitely different from the usual Vektor clones and I can hear the Depressive Age semblance, especially in the vocals but sometimes in the songs too. Cool stuff.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:14 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Just had an opportunity to listen to that Masquerader album, definitely different from the usual Vektor clones and I can hear the Depressive Age semblance, especially in the vocals but sometimes in the songs too. Cool stuff.

Yeah, I'm almost as sick of Vektor clones as I am Vektor themselves.

It's a shame they've broken up already. There's no justice in this world.

Also newer bands like RITUAL SERVANT and INSIDE MANKIND have really impressed me.

Another oldie I have enjoyed: VIRTUAL

Here is my review:
"Very good "cold-sounding" progressive thrash with high-quality melodic vocals. The vocals is quite skilled and hits some high screams. There is a lot of melody in the guitar work. The drummer is very proficient and there are some occasional fast thrash beats at times. This is mostly a progressive metal album but has enough thrash in the guitars and drums to warrant inclusion here. It has that early 90s scooped-mids "Cowboys from Hell"/"And Justice for All" sound to the production.

Favorite tracks:
All tracks are good

This album might appeal to fans of Spirit Web, Mystic-Force "Man vs. Machine", Oracle/Prodigy "As Darkness Reigns", Inner Sanctum, or Arcane."

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:37 pm 

This may be kind of a long-shot, but I'm on the lookout for technical thrash metal that resembles the most intense/thrashy moments on Obliveon's album Nemesis. I dig the general feel of the record, the melodic sensibilities and the hint of technicality, but it spends way too much time in groove mode and not enough time actually thrashing. Anything that bears a similarity to that style but doesn't let up on the intensity would be much appreciated-- I'm familiar with just about all the bands listed in their 'similar artists' page and most of them aren't quite what I'm looking for, though Chemical Breath and some of Sadus's stuff does come close.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:21 pm 

As far as I'm concerned, Vektor started and ended at Black Future. The other two just didn't hook me like Black Future did.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:15 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
This may be kind of a long-shot, but I'm on the lookout for technical thrash metal that resembles the most intense/thrashy moments on Obliveon's album Nemesis. I dig the general feel of the record, the melodic sensibilities and the hint of technicality, but it spends way too much time in groove mode and not enough time actually thrashing. Anything that bears a similarity to that style but doesn't let up on the intensity would be much appreciated-- I'm familiar with just about all the bands listed in their 'similar artists' page and most of them aren't quite what I'm looking for, though Chemical Breath and some of Sadus's stuff does come close.

Here is my review of the album from my RYM list: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/GeneralZ ... -of-art/1/

Quote:
Obliveon

Nemesis (1996)

Good stuff here. More down-tuned and more aggressive, less melodic than before. Sounding more death metal without the speed.

Great progressive mid-paced drumming. Nothing in the way of guitar solos here, but a lot of double guitar work.

The first few tracks are probably the worst ones on the album, so don't lose patience with this disc too quickly.

Favorite tracks:
"Obscure Mindways":
"Dynamo":
"Frosted Avowals":

This album might appeal to fans of Gorguts, Voivod, early Cynic, DBC "Universe", and Atheist "Jupiter".

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:35 am 

Nemesis is a 1993 release, not a 1996 release.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:46 am 

I'm familiar with all of those except DBC, and none are quite what I'm looking for-- I'll check out DBC though. Thanks most kindly.

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:40 pm 

I highly recommend Aspid, they're the most underrated thrash band ever

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:43 am 

ThrashFanatic wrote:
I highly recommend Aspid, they're the most underrated thrash band ever

Not possible, cause the most underrated one is Sacrament. ;-)

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:38 am 

All right, I'm looking for a nice, powerful and a middle tempo thrash bands with decent production. Something like Slayer's Seasons in The Abyss or Kreator's Outcast.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:40 am 

Xymosys wrote:
All right, I'm looking for a nice, powerful and a middle tempo thrash bands with decent production. Something like Slayer's Seasons in The Abyss or Kreator's Outcast.

Solitude? Allegiance?

https://tribunalrecords.bandcamp.com/al ... collection

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:01 pm 

New Released Anger. My favorite thrash metal band from Greece. Aggression, speed, riffs and rabid vocals. Well-worth checking out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzKsfuu2h6I

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:37 pm 

Did you guys know that Realm played a reunion show?

https://youtu.be/037A4qXFAOc

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:37 pm 

This will surely be on a lot of top 10 lists for thrash at the end of the year

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:32 pm 

I’ve been listening to Kreator’s phantom antichrist lately and I’m really enjoying its melodic thrash style, unfortunately I don’t know any album similar to it so I’m here searching for recommendations. Anything resembling melothrash/Gotenthrash or any other thrash with lots of melodies, harmonies, clean vocals and even experimentation would do. Thanks.

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 pm 

Talking about brutal Thrash in 2018 you can't get past Chemicaust!

https://chemicaust.bandcamp.com/

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:23 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
I’ve been listening to Kreator’s phantom antichrist lately and I’m really enjoying its melodic thrash style, unfortunately I don’t know any album similar to it so I’m here searching for recommendations. Anything resembling melothrash/Gotenthrash or any other thrash with lots of melodies, harmonies, clean vocals and even experimentation would do. Thanks.

Are you familiar with Kreator's early albums? There's some awesome stuff in their catalog, if you know which ones to check out.

What about Destruction - Cracked Brain? or At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul? or Carcass - Heartwork?

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:51 am 

blackmantram wrote:

I'll take a stab in the dark and say Savage Messiah - Insurrection Rising (and to a slightly lesser extent, "Plague Of Conscience"). Plenty of melody (both in terms of vocals and guitars), though it doesn't have much of the Gothenburg influence, it's more of the Megadeth/Testament sense of melody. Stuff like "The Serpent Tongue Of Divinity" and "He Who Laughs Last" walks the line between melodic and thrashy perfectly, in my opinion.

For a slightly more melodic take on the same formula, I can definitely recommend their follow-up, "Plague Of Conscience" - it's just a bit less thrashy. Their last two aren't as good.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:11 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
blackmantram wrote:

Are you familiar with Kreator's early albums? There's some awesome stuff in their catalog, if you know which ones to check out.

What about Destruction - Cracked Brain? or At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul? or Carcass - Heartwork?

I am familiar with most of that stuff, specially classic thrash such as kreator and destruction's old works, I'm just beginning my incursion into these band's later discography and so far the only one that has really caught me is kreator, I think while not being completely original (melodeath/gothenburg came first of course) they developed a style of their own combining their typical thrash riffing and vocals with soft melodic passages very common in albums like Slaughter of the soul as you mentioned.
Carcass was one of my first fav bands in metal, so yeah, I pretty much know all of their stuff.
Also, I forgot how good Cracked Brain was so thank you for reminding me about it.

On the other hand, I liked that Savage Messiah stuff, it's more or less what I'm looking for, vocals are not my cup of tea though, gotta give it a couple more listens. Thank you.

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:56 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

I am familiar with most of that stuff, specially classic thrash such as kreator and destruction's old works, I'm just beginning my incursion into these band's later discography and so far the only one that has really caught me is kreator, I think while not being completely original (melodeath/gothenburg came first of course) they developed a style of their own combining their typical thrash riffing and vocals with soft melodic passages very common in albums like Slaughter of the soul as you mentioned.
Carcass was one of my first fav bands in metal, so yeah, I pretty much know all of their stuff.
Also, I forgot how good Cracked Brain was so thank you for reminding me about it.

On the other hand, I liked that Savage Messiah stuff, it's more or less what I'm looking for, vocals are not my cup of tea though, gotta give it a couple more listens. Thank you.

Newer Kreator hasn't clicked with me outside of a couple of tracks. I have only heard the singles from most of their albums after Enemy of God, but the songs didn't really grab me live either. I love a good melody, but can't stand Slaughter of the Soul. Is there something you would recommend from their new stuff that's more thrashy and not so Swedish sounding?

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:23 am 

howdy, im looking for some oldschool thrash metal (not too technical) with decent production, with powerful and in-front vocals (not growls).

Tormentor666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:52 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
howdy, im looking for some oldschool thrash metal (not too technical) with decent production, with powerful and in-front vocals (not growls).

Maybe this might be your cup of tea: https://acidbrigade.bandcamp.com/

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:28 am 

Are Excruciation from Switzerland any good? Which album should I check out first?

SouthofHeaven11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:59 am 

Stumbled across this band called Malevellar. Quite like them so far.

https://maleveller.bandcamp.com/

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:48 pm 

Discovered this demo because this band was added to MA the other day. Very fast thrash metal but they only have this demo so far which consists of three short tracks. (and they should be short! They kick ass!)

https://violencecondoned.bandcamp.com/album/demo-17

Atomization - Spotify

Malefikant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:42 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Are Excruciation from Switzerland any good? Which album should I check out first?

No. None of them.

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:19 pm 

Here are some extremely underrated thrash albums that I recommend to all of you guys...

Iron Stream - Sign - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVhj_WhHYY
Klinika - Lottery Ticket - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWjSXwwQrpE
Meliah Rage - Kill To Survive - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QApTkTI7DhY
Paradox - Heresy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVegF9XycM
Artillery - By Inheritance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F1ect8H58c
Xentrix - Shattered Existence - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avzO4iWyl8Y
Mordred - Fool's Game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f0pDSM65jY
Blind Illusion - The Sane Asylum - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am4GzSoimBo
Watchtower - Control And Resistance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4h5L2Ooy5w
Hexenhaus - The Edge Of Eternity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooyRv1CNFLw
Sacrosanct - Recessed To The Depraved - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7KV-pQM4fo
Wargasm - Why Play Around? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4DydYOixo
Visitor - Visitor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9ch9HP8Pc
Indestructible Noise Command - Razorback - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7-AD6yjj4Q
Target - Master Project Genesis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt1TG3b961c
Acid Storm - Biotronic Genesis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jouuEwL7O2k
Anvil Bitch - Rise To Offend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHIkL7kClTc
Gothic Slam - Killer Instinct - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmL11DHhOHk
Kublai Khan - Annihilation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf8OjEElrxE
Cyclone - Brutal Destruction - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUHhntV03pc
Indestroy - Indestroy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVd5kSrcqXY
Viking - Man Of Straw - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHI_bgNS4EA
Powermad - Absolute Power - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfMfwVJYyFM
Cyclone Temple - I Hate Therefore I Am - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRTdbY6LBZY
Shah - Beware - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abo10JprWFQ
Аспид - Кровоизлияние - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ispi6lOUyXE
Mercenary - Demo 1986 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U6dEIYLURA

If anybody wants more recommendations, let me know! I would be more than glad to discuss thrash!

Neta00
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:13 pm 

I need bands that has sound like Sepultura "Benath the remains" album. Some Thrash/Death

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:25 pm 

Neta00 wrote:
I need bands that has sound like Sepultura "Benath the remains" album. Some Thrash/Death

This is the album for you: Beseiged - Victims Beyond All Help

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:28 pm 

Neta00 wrote:

Sodom - Persecution Mania
Pentagram Chile - The Malefice [With the bonus disc of rerecordings]
Opprobrium - Beyond The Unknown
Insanity - Death After Death
Necrodeath - Into The Macabre
Massacra - Enjoy The Violence
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence
Sadus - Chemical Exposure

Now go forth and plunder Youtube!

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:51 pm 

Here are some more extremely underrated thrash bands I recommend to you guys...

Nocturn - Enstranged Dimensions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H_-hAVKM3c
Incursion Dementa - All This Is... - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEByvSpIaOY
Vulture - Easier To Lie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESgRfgL1Zt4
Aragon - Aragon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvMSEs4d7Bk
Infected - Dark Century - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8P7pLuIVH4
Aggression - The Full Treatment - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKZEBodowkU
Hirax - Raging Violence - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC9p2ziz4ws
Dyoxen - First Among Equals - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Z-lvDtRTY
Pyracanda - Two Sides Of A Coin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klAdXQgKoLE
Pariah - Blaze Of Obscurity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfmclMrnAs
Apocalypse - Apocalypse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_a9KpEqbls
Grinder - Dawn For The Living - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IsB-HSoqAs
Hirax - Hate, Fear And Power - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXo0c6Yx8zI
Quick Change - Circus Of Death - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1zRBOV4ycs
Valkyria - Валькирия - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93lx2d8MgA8
Deathrow - Deception Ignored - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHkEax1vkuU
Mactep - Mactep - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpiUjIqs2WU
Kalaschnikov - The Torture Never Stops - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4EaSuWFbtw
Meanstreak - Roadkill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvA7VlhUITc
Acrophet - Corrupt Minds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJB_xzO06ew
Heretic - Breaking Point - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRikAw3zTZw
Disciples Of Power - Powertrap - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f9M801WX0U
Evil Sinner - Evil Sinner - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chcd_O7C9f4
Virus - Lunacy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPacb1nYM-0
Donor - Triangle Of The Lost - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjtSv5DZiAE
Seducer - Trials And Tribulations - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px6bwNlZHCE
Blessed Death - Destined For Extinction - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h8tbQb3Q_8
Energetic Krusher - Path To Oblivion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hUUhRAkTY
Affliction - The Damnation Of Humanization - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPGmucLPHww
Agony - The First Defiance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqp19TxO-6M
Eviction - The World Is Hours Away - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEVieSXRrsM
Gammacide - Victims Of Science - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT9FSkTRG2w
Trizna - Out Of Step - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKaXzYjD5Kg
Silence - Vision - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUzzaJvFCV4
Iceland - Iceland - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZtvV6E3M2E
Dementia - Recuperate From Reality - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_U5mqAfvNo
Asphyxia - Exit:Reality - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVYou61GQU8
Sacrifice - Soldiers Of Misfortune - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRijn8EI7ks
Antidote - Total - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akwfh4lluzo
Leviathen - Onward Thru The Fog - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjHKz02C0Bk

Once again, if anybody wants more recommendations, let me know! I would love to talk about thrash!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 136  Next