Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:05 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
According to their M-A page, they're both! And their best release seems to be a tie between The Dwelling and Sabbatrinity.

Thanx and yes I did check out the Archives page but I've learned that I'm often at odds with the reviews besides a very few kick ass reviewers.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:55 am 

It's very hard to say what Sabbat (JPN) release would be the best because they've always been pretty consistent. I don't think you could go wrong with picking just about any studio album by the band. There are some differences though. Envenom, Evoke, Disembody and Fetishism are good for black/thrash while Karisma and Satansword sound more heavy metal/nwobhm-esque but still keeping the dark black metal aura of the band. The Dwelling in other hand is a doomy one song black metal epic. I would also recommend to get one of their compilation albums containing their "hits" like Mion's Hill, Black Fire, Bloody Countess, Curdle the Blood, The Egg of Dapple etc. that were released only on very hard to get singles and/or demo tapes. Some of those are rerecorded on compilations I think but they pretty much rule anyway. It's also cool that they have like at least 4 or 5 different versions of Mion's Hill!
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:47 pm 

any bands similar to Annihilator or like his style of tech speed/thrash?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:49 pm 

Mechanix11 wrote:
any bands similar to Annihilator or like his style of tech speed/thrash?

Try Realm or Hexenhaus.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:58 pm 

thanks!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:56 pm 

Another example of a band I think gets a biiiiit more credit than they really deserve, but no recommendation of Realm ever seems to go without Toxik getting a piggyback rec and vise versa.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:02 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Another example of a band I think gets a biiiiit more credit than they really deserve, but no recommendation of Realm ever seems to go without Toxik getting a piggyback rec and vise versa.

You're absolutely right! :)

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:47 am 

So lately I've been listening to a lot of 2000's thrash from 80's bands. Evolution of Chaos, Omega Wave, The Antichrist, Tempo Of The Damned, Ironbound... and often times those surpass the classics in my mind. Anybody know of some old, reformed thrash bands that released an album(s) that may have flown under the radar?

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:02 am 

One that got a good amount of buzz at the time but has seemed to fade out since then was Canada's Sacrifice. Off the top of my head though I can't think of any others right now, you nailed all the obvious ones.

EDIT: Ah shit, just remembered two other examples. One I'm personally not much of a fan of is the new Exumer, while one I feel that I like a bit more than I actually should was the first post-reunion Mortal Sin album.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:28 am 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
So lately I've been listening to a lot of 2000's thrash from 80's bands. Evolution of Chaos, Omega Wave, The Antichrist, Tempo Of The Damned, Ironbound... and often times those surpass the classics in my mind. Anybody know of some old, reformed thrash bands that released an album(s) that may have flown under the radar?

Seconding Sacrifice. They have a killer set of albums and are really a great band. My favorites are their first two: Torment In Fire and Forward To Termination. Generally, all their albums are good, though.

Deathrow - Riders Of Doom and Raging Steel.

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends, ...

Onslaught - Power From Hell, The Force, Killing Peace, and the 2011 release Sounds Of Violence.

Sacred Reich has some cool stuff, as well.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:35 pm 

Quote:

I much love Death Angel's post-2000 work, especially The Art of Dying - it's not very caustic, but it's melodic thrash as it should be - Highly reccommend it!

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:40 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Canada's Sacrifice.

Not quite as good as Forward To Termination (only other Sacrifice album I've heard) but pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:03 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:

Out of the new albums by old classic thrash bands making a comeback try these that haven't been mentioned.

Necronomicon - Revenge of the Beast
Destructor - Forever in Leather
Paradox - Collision Course
Assassin - Breaking the Silence

Last edited by AcidWorm on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:28 pm 

hey dudes thanks for the recommendations, i listened to Realm, Hexenhaus and Toxik and are very good bands

also i was wondering if anyone knows some bands like Nuclear Assault type of thrash metal.

thanks in advance

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:00 pm 

Gama Bomb has a big Nuclear Assault influence. Check out Survival of the Fastest.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:19 pm 

I seem to be in the minority there but I think Tales from the Grave in Space is their best work. Granted I haven't heard that first album so maybe it's more Nuclear Assault-y, but I really think the aforementioned TftGiS is probably the best example of new crossover-ish thrash.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:28 am 

Hey thrashers, i have a request. Im looking for some more thrash on the brutal side, i love stuff like early Sepultura, Devastation, Demolition Hammer, Nocturnal Fear etc. For newer stuff i have heard Besieged, pretty good stuff, just wanted to throw that out there so i dont get a bunch of recs for that. Thanks in advance!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:46 am 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:
Hey thrashers, i have a request. Im looking for some more thrash on the brutal side, i love stuff like early Sepultura, Devastation, Demolition Hammer, Nocturnal Fear etc. For newer stuff i have heard Besieged, pretty good stuff, just wanted to throw that out there so i dont get a bunch of recs for that. Thanks in advance!

What about SADUS or HYPNOSIA?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:52 pm 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:

Bit vague really as there are literally tons of bands but these should get you started.

Old bands
Vulcano, Sarcofago, Num Skull, Morbid Saint, Exhorder, Gammacide, Torture, Morbid Scream, Thanatos.

Newer bands
Torture Squad, Hellcannon, Ritual Carnage, Fastkill, Avenger of Blood, Guillotine, Ketzer, Desaster (Old and new stuff is good)

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:21 pm 

Holy shit...Just listened to Cranium's (Swe) Speed metal satan EP and fuck me this is good. Dare I say, better than their full lengths even? I love the two albums and have listened to them for years but the songs that stuck out the most is where the vocalist restrained his high pitched insanity and went for a more black metal vocal offering (See Crushers of Christ) This is the first time I really hear this EP and I am pleasantly surprised! The primitive sounding BM vocals over catchy as hell thrash riffs is where they shine best.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:10 am 

Nobody talks in the thrash thread, so I'll say this here... but damn do I freaking LOVE the guitar tone throughout Flots & Jets second album, especially with the leads. Just sounds evil and intense as hell. The production seems a little inconsistent, but everything sounds incredible on "Dreams of Death". Kind of razor sharp like Artillery, but a bit thicker or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu4JEzzs394
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBE3mXKKw40 - the intro leads, perfection.

A long shot and probably tons of stuff I've already heard, but maybe it'll be a nice refresher... anything you guys would say has a similar recording/sound?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:28 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Holy shit...Just listened to Cranium's (Swe) Speed metal satan EP and fuck me this is good. Dare I say, better than their full lengths even? I love the two albums and have listened to them for years but the songs that stuck out the most is where the vocalist restrained his high pitched insanity and went for a more black metal vocal offering (See Crushers of Christ) This is the first time I really hear this EP and I am pleasantly surprised! The primitive sounding BM vocals over catchy as hell thrash riffs is where they shine best.

Cranium rules! I do prefer Speed Metal Sentence as I love the over the top vocals but they didn't write a bad song. Ripping band.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:42 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

Cranium rules! I do prefer Speed Metal Sentence as I love the over the top vocals but they didn't write a bad song. Ripping band.

MA says they are on hold so I wonder if a new Cranium album will ever surface. It would be nice to see the Swedes rip things up again. The Black metal project they play in, Dawn, is portrayed as active but its been 14 years since their last album :ugh:

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:06 am 

MA says they are on hold so I wonder if a new Cranium album will ever surface. It would be nice to see the Swedes rip things up again. The Black metal project they play in, Dawn, is portrayed as active but its been 14 years since their last album :ugh:

Man, I'd love to hear new Cranium... though I wonder if they'll do it without Necro Nudist.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:02 pm 

Mechanix11 wrote:
hey dudes thanks for the recommendations, i listened to Realm, Hexenhaus and Toxik and are very good bands

also i was wondering if anyone knows some bands like Nuclear Assault type of thrash metal.

thanks in advance

Check out Fatality. Their singer is the closest thing I've heard to John Connelly (though nobody still sings quite like him).

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:31 pm 

Man, I'd love to hear new Cranium... though I wonder if they'll do it without Necro Nudist.

I think ultimately that is why nothing has happened since SMS. It is a damn shame he felt the need to do what he did. One hell of a drummer.

bandicoot666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:25 am 

Definitely have gotten reviews about the thrash in the recording check it out

www.skinfather.bandcamp.com

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:29 pm 

Any recommendations along the lines of Mekong Delta, Aspid, Coroner, Vektor (not so much Toxik)... you know - complex, technical, sometimes quite long songs? It would be greatly appreciated.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:52 pm 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
Any recommendations along the lines of Mekong Delta, Aspid, Coroner, Vektor (not so much Toxik)... you know - complex, technical, sometimes quite long songs? It would be greatly appreciated.

Voivod? Maybe too obvious though...

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:07 pm 

wrathchild_88 wrote:

Deathrow's Deception Ignored, Thought Industry's Songs for Insects (warning: only ~half of it is actually thrash metal), and Believer's Dimensions all exist at the most progressive end of thrash.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:06 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
wrathchild_88 wrote:

Deathrow's Deception Ignored, Thought Industry's Songs for Insects (warning: only ~half of it is actually thrash metal), and Believer's Dimensions all exist at the most progressive end of thrash.

I'll dd Sieges Even's Life Cycle to this list and possibly Watchtower's Control and Resistance but it is perhaps already more progressive metal than thrash metal.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:11 am 

Thanks HamburgerBoy, I'll check out Thought Industry and Believer. I've heard all the other suggestions, but thanks anyway!

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm 

If anyone is looking for some modern technical thrash Aggression's new album is excellent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1XWeiaq ... re=related

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:14 pm 

Mmmmmm..... Tasty tech thrash. Thanks Acid, this stuff is pretty cool.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Thashierthanthou wrote:

Out of the new albums by old classic thrash bands making a comeback try these that haven't been mentioned.

Necronomicon - Revenge of the Beast
Destructor - Forever in Leather
Paradox - Collision Course
Assassin - Breaking the Silence

Forgot Headhunter - Parasite of Society. Decent power/thrash album after the band released 3 albums in the early 90s and still features Scmier on vocals.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:29 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
If anyone is looking for some modern technical thrash Aggression's new album is excellent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1XWeiaq ... re=related

That sounded pretty badass, thanks for the post. Not a lot of tech-thrash out there that really keeps the old school thrash aesthetic intact. :headbang:

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:42 am 

slaughterdethmetal666 wrote:
lot of people say thrash metal is dead..would you agree?

since the topic is locked and i will answer that question here...;

No absolutely not, looks like thrash has been re-emerging since 2005-2006-2007 with the help of a lot of retro-thrash bands (like Municipal Waste, Evile, Bonded By Blood, Havok, Warbringer, Vektor, Violator, Gama Bomb,...) also quite some old bands that had disbanded in the 90s or maybe even late 80s are now either doing a reunion (Sacred Reich, EvilDead, Morbid Saint, Exumer, Forbidden, D.R.I.,...) or returning with a refurbished line-up, and more modern sounding approach to the classic thrash sound sometimes putting out decent material again or material more decent than shortly before (Testament, Death Angel, Overkill, Heathen,...)

And there's also just the fact that the thrash revival has also been stimulated by for example the big 4 shows (where Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax shared the same stage. (There's also the minor fact that Anthrax also returned with Belladonna as vocalist, seems to be appreciated by a lot of old school Anthrax fans, and of course Metallica that seemed to have released an al;bum (Death Magnetic) that is closer to thrash/speed metal (even though there could still be endless discussions about this) than their previous efforts.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:36 am 

wrathchild_88 wrote:

You MIGHT like Torture's Storm Alert

lifelessworlds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:52 pm 

Can anyone recommend similar albums to Kreator's Pleasure to Kill? I want some real dirty, fast, heavy thrash, growls welcome.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:47 am 

For fast and dirty thrash like Pleasure to Kill check out Hypnosia, Eternal Devastation, Fastkill (though the vocals are crazy), and Avenger of Blood.

For just fast and dirty thrash but not so much PtK worship check out these; Num Skull, Agressor (Neverending Destiny), Morbid Saint, Schizo (Main Frame Collapse), Ripping Corpse, Incubus, Dark Angel (Darkness Descends), Possessed, and Carrion.

In my opinion Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death is the pinnacle of this kind of thrash. It is fast, dirty and aggressive with gravelly barks and very memorable riffs.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 136  Next