Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:03 am 

I don't think anything falls in the "mind-blowing" category, but I second Warfect Scavengers, although their previous album was better, and I'd add ...

Unhoped - Sonic Violence

You may or may not like the next. It's like a thrash Rammstein. Certainly different from the monotonous thrash de jour.

Excöriator - Faster, Harder, Louder

Then there's always some new old-school thrash.

Angel of Sodom - Divine Retribution

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:39 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I just wanted to drop a general recommendation here for the new Sauron album, Conquest Through Attrition. I've been a fan of these guys for years now, and the first two albums are devastating but this new one is on a different level. They've managed to create a darker atmosphere without sacrificing anything in the way of ferocity. I would say there are some influences creeping in outside the black and thrash spectrum, specifically some insane speed metal here and there.

I think these guys have been special for awhile but they hit a new gear I never expected with this one, and I think people are going to miss it because they basically do zero self-promotion outside their little sphere.

QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:47 pm 

gravemaster wrote:
Looking for absolutely mind blowing thrash metal albums strictly from 2014-2016. Leave out Metallica and Megadeth :D

mind-blowing:

Shrapnel - The Virus Conspires
In Malice's Wake - Light Upon The Wicked
Mastema - Awake In The Grave
Phrenetix - Fear
Psychosomatic - Clicking Sound Of A Hammer Pulled Back
Alitor - Eternal Depression
Weresquatch - Frozen Void
Chemicide - Episodes Of Insanity
Exumer - The Raging Tides
Mutant - Pleiades
Nukem - The Unholy Trinity
Anonymus - Envers Et Contre Tous
Black Fast - Terms Of Surrender
Chemicaust - As Empires Fall
Comaniac - Return To Wasteland
Harlott - Proliferation
Skinner - Sleepwalkers
Traitor - Venomizer
Anger As Art - Ad Mortem Festinamus
Gross Reality - Overthrow
Trecelence - Justified Atrocities
Reign Of Fury - Death Be Thy Shepherd
Serpent Crown - Incantations Of Vengeance
Euphoria - Operation: Genesis
Unhoped - Sonic Violence

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:24 am 

QuickNick wrote:
Shrapnel - The Virus Conspires
In Malice's Wake - Light Upon The Wicked
Mastema - Awake In The Grave
Phrenetix - Fear
Psychosomatic - Clicking Sound Of A Hammer Pulled Back
Alitor - Eternal Depression
Weresquatch - Frozen Void
Chemicide - Episodes Of Insanity
Exumer - The Raging Tides
Mutant - Pleiades
Nukem - The Unholy Trinity
Anonymus - Envers Et Contre Tous
Black Fast - Terms Of Surrender
Chemicaust - As Empires Fall
Comaniac - Return To Wasteland
Harlott - Proliferation
Skinner - Sleepwalkers
Traitor - Venomizer
Anger As Art - Ad Mortem Festinamus
Gross Reality - Overthrow
Trecelence - Justified Atrocities
Reign Of Fury - Death Be Thy Shepherd
Serpent Crown - Incantations Of Vengeance
Euphoria - Operation: Genesis
Unhoped - Sonic Violence

Lots of stuff here that I haven't heard of. +1 on Euphoria & Black Fast, they are among my current favorite thrash bands.

Guys I need some melodic thrash like the recent Kreator album. Something with power, melodeath styled melodic riffing while still retaining the thrash edge.

QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:41 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Lots of stuff here that I haven't heard of. +1 on Euphoria & Black Fast, they are among my current favorite thrash bands.

Guys I need some melodic thrash like the recent Kreator album. Something with power, melodeath styled melodic riffing while still retaining the thrash edge.

I'm not a fan of the new Kreator stuff at all, but some of my recommendations might nevertheless fit to your search...

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:58 am 

^Wow, this is some good stuff. Thanks man!

QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:18 am 

IamDBR wrote:
^Wow, this is some good stuff. Thanks man!

You're welcome.

Not in the vein of newer Kreator, but fucking awesome in my book:

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:27 am 

You're spoiling me dude! Thanks, that will be more than enough for a while.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:17 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Looking for VERY specific progressive/technical thrash recommendations (demos or albums):

What I like: Watchtower, Toxik, Intruder (Psycho Savant), Azrael (Televison Slave), Annihilator (1st two), Voivod (all), Immaculate (Atheist Crusade), Tourniquet (1st 3), Hades, Sadus, Savage Steel, Obliveon (From this Day Forward), Flaming Anger, Toxin, Artillery, Elysium, Indestroy, Deafen, Von Hellsing, Droys, Deadly Blessing, Altered State, Helstar, Forbidden, Vulture, Azotic Reign, Altered Aeon, Dark Angel, Visitor, Crionic, Entophyte, Destruction (Cracked Brain)

What I've heard but isn't really what I'm looking for: Vektor, Havok, Hexen, Hellwitch

I've heard all the standard thrash stuff.

Bonus points if it has high screaming vocals a la Halford!

Any suggestions?

Not sure if you're familiar with Turbo, but I've been in the mood for Slavic thrash, and am listening to their Epidemie album for the first time and this reminded me of your post. Melodic, intense, tech-y, doesn't sound like any of their other albums I know. Singer does some higher-pitched screams too, though it's not the dominant style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td8eFK3ZrQA

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:34 pm 

QuickNick wrote:
Dunno if some of the bands suite you, but I like them anway...

Sorry it took me a while to respond. Been busy and there was a lot to listen to here.

I already knew ALPHAKILL, XENOPHILE, and SACRAL RAGE and really like them. Forgot to mention them before.

CANCERIC sound pretty good.

VORBID sound great! Purchased ...

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:19 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Not sure if you're familiar with Turbo, but I've been in the mood for Slavic thrash, and am listening to their Epidemie album for the first time and this reminded me of your post. Melodic, intense, tech-y, doesn't sound like any of their other albums I know. Singer does some higher-pitched screams too, though it's not the dominant style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td8eFK3ZrQA

Thanks! Good stuff! I have heard of this band before but not spent much time on listening to them until now.

Is this their best album IYO?

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:05 am 

With the caveat that it's only a first impression, probably. Ostatni wojownik (the album immediately previous) was a favorite of mine when I was first getting into underground thrash but it didn't quite hold up, it's definitely not as technical and a bit rougher, but also still melodic and with longer songs, sort of like the first Hexenhaus album but minus Mike Wead's fancy guitarwork. I never got into their earlier material (sloppy speed/trad metal mostly), and from what I remember of Dead End (the album immediately after Epidemie), it's pretty typical heavier/extreme thrash in the Slayer or Sodom vein. Haven't heard any of the the albums after that one aside from Awatar, which I don't remember anything about at all (a quick refresher on YouTube is telling me they went towards some kind of Alice in Chains/Haji's Kitchen grunge-metal, lol).

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:53 am 

What's some of the darkest classic (80s/90s) tech thrash? Love Coroner, something like that or preferrably darker. Keeping prog metal falsettos and prog metal melodies to a minimum and more of that Slayer or Onslaught or Infernäl Mäjesty dark riffing, except more technical. (That last part is an ideal, if it's more like early Coroner and sounds nothing like Watchtower it's already a decent call.)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:28 am 

droneriot wrote:
What's some of the darkest classic (80s/90s) tech thrash? Love Coroner, something like that or preferrably darker. Keeping prog metal falsettos and prog metal melodies to a minimum and more of that Slayer or Onslaught or Infernäl Mäjesty dark riffing, except more technical. (That last part is an ideal, if it's more like early Coroner and sounds nothing like Watchtower it's already a decent call.)

ASPID, SADUS, DROYS?

Will think of more later ...

QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:18 pm 

droneriot wrote:

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:50 pm 

Can anyone recommend some thrash that is 1) melodic/almost neoclassical in the guitar approach AND 2) evil and satanic as fuck!!! Your basic blueprints are Peace Sells But Who's Buying and The Legacy. The lead guitar performances are awesome on these album and the occult vibe is icing on the cake. Another one close to this vibe is Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings, but the guitar solos aren't so much classic metal but dark, atonal death metal-style leads, complimented by the heavy production and creepy atmosphere.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:14 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Can anyone recommend some thrash that is 1) melodic/almost neoclassical in the guitar approach AND 2) evil and satanic as fuck!!! Your basic blueprints are Peace Sells But Who's Buying and The Legacy. The lead guitar performances are awesome on these album and the occult vibe is icing on the cake. Another one close to this vibe is Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings, but the guitar solos aren't so much classic metal but dark, atonal death metal-style leads, complimented by the heavy production and creepy atmosphere.

Helstar- nosferatu, all their post reunion albums
Exmortus?
Forbidden - forbidden evil
Tenet - s/t
Death - individual thought patterns

QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:17 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:18 pm 

I was about to say, the newest Helstar album sounds exactly like that description. It also happens to be absolutely fucking amazing in every way.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:39 pm 

rexxz wrote:
I was about to say, the newest Helstar album sounds exactly like that description. It also happens to be absolutely fucking amazing in every way.

Heard a decent amount of praise for this album back in '16, I reckon I should finally give them a chance. Neoclassical + thrash = win in my book.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:21 pm 

Been ages since I heard early Sadus, still traumatised by their later albums.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:53 pm 

droneriot wrote:

Seconding most of the stuff mentioned so far.

Slaughterchrist is really good Hell Awaits/None Shall Defy-style thrash metal, but unfortunately that's the only song of decent recording quality on the internet. Their 1990 demo sounds just as good from a riffing/compositional standpoint, and with more Coroner influence, but the only rip is from some guy literally videotaping his cassette insert with the cassette playing in the background. Keep an eye peeled for a demo comp though, apparently one has been in the works for years now. Disciples of Power are full of evil, topsy-turvy riffing too.

For a different kind of dark, maybe Anachronic (sort of a Voivod/South of Heaven-era Slayer fusion), Fatal (labeled as death metal, but really this EP is more RIP/Punishment than death metal), and Thalidomide (quite a bit of Coroner in them too).

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:25 pm 

Invocator's "Excursion Demise" is my all time favorite dark technical thrash metal album. Featuring one of my musical heroes as well! I was lucky to find a vinyl LP for a reasonable price. It's so good.

QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:58 pm 

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:20 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Helstar- nosferatu, all their post reunion albums
Exmortus?
Forbidden - forbidden evil
Tenet - s/t
Death - individual thought patterns

Thanks for reminding me to listen to Nosferatur, Vampiro, ITP, and Hatred in Flames. All great albums I know and love, will give them a little extra attention now.

As far as Forbidden, Russ' vocals are just waaaaayy too goofy for me to ever consider them "evil" despite their name history. I know you're a huge fan of the band but they just don't consistently deliver the goods for me. I'm oooofff the eeeedgeeee....

I remember digging the Tenet album a long time ago, but like Russ, it's hard to consider Zetro an "evil" vocalist (even though I love him dearly).

QuickNick wrote:

I haven't looked through the lyrics so I'm on the fence whether I would consider this band "evil" or not, but goddamn this is super tight bay area thrash regardless. Great recommendation all around!

Thanks for helping with such a vague and subjective request, guys.

rexxz wrote:
Invocator's "Excursion Demise" is my all time favorite dark technical thrash metal album. Featuring one of my musical heroes as well! I was lucky to find a vinyl LP for a reasonable price. It's so good.

Both of them are great, but I think I prefer the second album a tad more. Weave the Apocalypse has such an impeccable sense of groove that really meshes with technical approach. The riffage in the title track alone is legendary IMO. 0:55 = bliss :drool:
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:43 pm 

I'm not sure I consider many bands really "evil" or "scary", so it's hard for me to judge.

There is a new band that you might be interested in though, Morlok Von Grimorog : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgRNhkmp3c4

Shinn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:04 pm 

Hey, Is there any subgenre for thrash with death metal/grindcore vocal?

Grisly Bare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:27 pm 

Can anyone recommend songs that have extended intros (minus spoken word or ambient sounds) of at least 1 minute or even longer (preferably approx 1:30 or longer) before the singing starts.

Some classic examples of this are :
Heathen - Hypnotized (minus the spoken word of course)
Metallica - Disposable Heroes
Megadeth - Holy Wars...

Some modern day examples are :
Xenophile - Suffer Unto Tyranny
Destruction - Under Attack
Exmortus - Rising
Mutant Squad - Mutants Will Rise

I really seem to enjoy songs that are composed like this, but please, do not recommend any instrumentals.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:09 pm 

Artillery - 7:00 From Tashkent/Khomaniac
Deathrow - Machinery
Sacrifice - Soldiers of Misfortune

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:15 pm 

Holy Wars rules but it's all about this track for mad sick intro action

It's very abundant with tech-thrash bands. Here's some classic albums you may or may not be familiar with, and since there's a surplus of intros throughout the the whole thing, you just got more.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:21 am 

Grisly Bare wrote:
Can anyone recommend songs that have extended intros (minus spoken word or ambient sounds) of at least 1 minute or even longer (preferably approx 1:30 or longer) before the singing starts. s.

One of my faves

QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:24 am 

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:55 pm 

Found this channel called "New Wave Of Old School Thrash Metal", some of you here might dig it:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD5Ny_ ... XVPWXg9iNw

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:44 am 

Some decent thrash from India, video is nicely done too:

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:26 pm 

Hey guys, just looking for some thrash metal similar to these bands and songs:

Morbid Saint - Burned at the Stake

Demolition Hammer - Skull Fracturing Nightmare

Slayer - Raining Blood

Exodus - Bonded By Blood

Metallica - Seek and Destroy

Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill

Sodom - Agent Orange

Any reccomendations are appreciated!

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:30 pm 

IllBeBach0213 wrote:
Hey guys, just looking for some thrash metal similar to these bands and songs:...

Condition Critical - Extermination Plan

(Slayer)
Suicide Angels - Bloodbath

Korzus - Discipline of Hate

Nuclear - Formula for Anarchy

The Conjuring - Tortured Spirits

Demiricous - Two

(Kreator)
Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred

(Metallica)
4Arm - Submission for Liberty

Evile - Skull

Monstera - Angel With Fangs

(Exodus)
Skulled - Eat Thrash

(Demolition Hammer?)
Harm - Demonic Alliance

(Sodom?)
Bludvera - Terrorform

Last edited by Smitty on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:48 am 

IllBeBach0213 wrote:
Hey guys, just looking for some thrash metal similar to these bands and songs:

Morbid Saint - Burned at the Stake
Demolition Hammer - Skull Fracturing Nightmare
Slayer - Raining Blood
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Metallica - Seek and Destroy
Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Sodom - Agent Orange

Any reccomendations are appreciated!

Slayer:

Exodus

Megadeth

'tallica

Kreator

Sodom

D-Hammer/Morbid Saint

QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:09 am 

One more...

Slayer

Exodus

Megadeth

Kreator

Sodom

Metallica

D-Hammer/Morbid Saint

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:20 am 

Been listening to the more extreme end of new-ish thrash, bands like Hellbringer, Oath Of Cruelty, Hypnosia, & Nekromantheon -- all of whom could be considered clones of their progenitors but bring great energy and interesting riffs & twists to the table. My question is... who am I missing that is similarly appreciative of early-mid 80's Slayer/Kreator/Sodom/Pestilence/Sepultura but is high quality enough to stand up past the appreciation.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:33 pm 

televiper11 wrote:
Been listening to the more extreme end of new-ish thrash, bands like Hellbringer, Oath Of Cruelty, Hypnosia, & Nekromantheon -- all of whom could be considered clones of their progenitors but bring great energy and interesting riffs & twists to the table. My question is... who am I missing that is similarly appreciative of early-mid 80's Slayer/Kreator/Sodom/Pestilence/Sepultura but is high quality enough to stand up past the appreciation.

I always thought these had that 80's German vibe, but more extreme and updated.

Nocturnal Fear - Excessive Cruelty

Scythelord - Toxic Mind

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 136  Next