* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:38 pm 

Amerigo wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Metal Church's first album was the best thing they ever did. The rest of their albums are crappy rock albums. They really lost the ambience of the original album, which made them exactly who they were. Now, they are just really crappy mid-paced heavy metal.

FUCK YOU METAL CHURCH.

The fuck it is. The Dark beats out the s/t by a nose. And they didn't lose ambiance. They lost David Wayne.

And they lost the fucking riffs. Their first album was the best thing they ever did, and it's incredible.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:40 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Amerigo wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Metal Church's first album was the best thing they ever did. The rest of their albums are crappy rock albums. They really lost the ambience of the original album, which made them exactly who they were. Now, they are just really crappy mid-paced heavy metal.

FUCK YOU METAL CHURCH.

The fuck it is. The Dark beats out the s/t by a nose. And they didn't lose ambiance. They lost David Wayne.

And they lost the fucking riffs. Their first album was the best thing they ever did, and it's incredible.

Just go and listen to the Dark, followed by the S/T. They are practically the same album.

And no they never lost the riffs. In fact Metal Church wasn't that great a band when it came to riffs. Above average, surely. But not skull-crushing. The band is as excellent as it is, solely because of David Wayne. Probably the best thrash vocalist to have ever lived.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:41 pm 

I like Mike Howe a lot too. :(

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:47 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
I like Mike Howe a lot too. :(

I will always hold the opinion that Wayne IS Metal Church.

Blessing in Disguise just wasn't the same band.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:57 pm 

Amerigo wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Amerigo wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

FUCK YOU METAL CHURCH.

Just go and listen to the Dark, followed by the S/T. They are practically the same album.

And no they never lost the riffs. In fact Metal Church wasn't that great a band when it came to riffs. Above average, surely. But not skull-crushing. The band is as excellent as it is, solely because of David Wayne. Probably the best thrash vocalist to have ever lived.

Metal Church was great with atmosphere. The track Metal Church is awesome. "Skullcrushing" should only be used with brutal thrash, because when applying it to more melodic thrash acts, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:03 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Amerigo wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Amerigo wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

FUCK YOU METAL CHURCH.

Metal Church was great with atmosphere. The track Metal Church is awesome. "Skullcrushing" should only be used with brutal thrash, because when applying it to more melodic thrash acts, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I do not limit myself in my use of the term skullcrushing.

Psycrypt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:13 pm 

I'm looking for some good Thrash Metal in the vein of Sodom. So, it'll have to be rawly recorded, fast, and downright evil. I don't care about bass-audibility or spontaneity, just good evil Thrash. But somewhat melodic and technical solos would be nice.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:16 pm 

Psycrypt wrote:
I'm looking for some good Thrash Metal in the vein of Sodom. So, it'll have to be rawly recorded, fast, and downright evil. I don't care about bass-audibility or spontaneity, just good evil Thrash. But somewhat melodic and technical solos would be nice.

Protector and Sepultura's Morbid Visions. I don't like any of these (Sodom included), but I've heard enough of all three to know they sound quite similar.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:33 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Amerigo wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Amerigo wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

FUCK YOU METAL CHURCH.

You know, I took my own advice and decided to listen to The Dark and the s/t one after the other. And I actually see what you mean. The s/t was a bit more atmospheric. But The Dark is still not too dissimilar. So I am puzzled how you can not like it.

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 pm 

Ok, I agree about Blessing In Disguise not being as good as the the s/t, but to say all the albums after the s/t were crappy is a bit far. Hanging In The Balance, anyone?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:31 pm 

TheFourHorsemen666 wrote:
Ok, I agree about Blessing In Disguise not being as good as the the s/t, but to say all the albums after the s/t were crappy is a bit far. Hanging In The Balance, anyone?

I've got MC, TD, BiD, TWotW and ALitD. I think they're latest stuff isn't very good. There's a couple of sick melodic riffs, but nothing can really hold my attention.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:00 pm 

Psycrypt wrote:

Corrupt (Swe)
Let Em Burn

Both take heavy influences from Sodom. Corrupt sounds like Destruction mixed with Sodom and is fairly raw. Let Em Burn is a bit more upbeat and catchy but still excellent.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

potassium_cianide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:45 pm 

Actually I think BiD is one of their best albums. But I honestly prefer Mike Howe´s albums than Wayne´s.

BTW, their first album I ever listened to was "The Human Factor". Great album. At least for me, of course.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:16 pm 

Psycrypt wrote:

Sauron (US) - Lord of the Rings themed black/thrash :headbang:
Sepultura, especially Schizophrenia and Beneath the Remains
we sail across the sea!

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:20 pm 

Psycrypt wrote:

Check out Toxic Holocaust, too.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

pingu53
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:49 pm 

looking for some death/thrash in the vein of Deathchain and The Crown...you know, not so serious, catchy, brutal and full of hooks

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:13 pm 

pingu53 wrote:
looking for some death/thrash in the vein of Deathchain and The Crown...you know, not so serious, catchy, brutal and full of hooks

Try Torture Squad's Pandemonium. Pretty brutal with heavy death influences.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:50 pm 

Demolition Hammer (cant be said enough)
I have to repeat Legion of the Damned (I really dig them...*shrug*)
Hypnosia
Dew Scented
maybe Exhorder

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:55 pm 

The Truly Epic And Monstrous List Of The 10 Most Insanely Awesome Riffs…ever!!
1. Anthrax, Anthrax [A Fistful Of Metal] -- 2:14
2. Artillery, Don’t Believe [By Inheritance] -- :00
3. Atrophy, Chemical Dependency [Socialized Hate] -- 1:15
4. Darkness, Critical Threshold [Death Squad] -- :56
5. Forbidden, Forbidden Evil [Forbidden Evil] -- 5:15
6. Fueled By Fire, Betrayal [Spread The Fire!!!] -- :38
7. Intruder, Victory In Disguise [Live To Die] -- 3:42
8. Nuclear Assault, Cross Of Iron [Game Over EP] -- 2:12
9. Razor, Burning Bridges [Shotgun Justice] -- :00
10. Znöwhite, Thunderdome [Act Of God] -- :23

The Honorable Mentions List!
11. Agony, Deadly Legacy [The First Defiance] -- :00
12. Death Angel, The Ultra Violence [The Ultra Violence] -- :00
13. Overkill, E.vil N.ever D.ies [The Years Of Decay] -- 1:25
14. Sacrifice, In Defiance [Soldier Of Misfortune] -- :28
15. Vendetta, Suicidal Lunacy [Go And Live] -- :25

The Bonus Riff!
16. Metallica, No Remorse [Kill ‘em All] -- 4:49

The Limited Edition Deluxe Riff!
17. Slayer, Show No Mercy [Show No Mercy] -- 1:40

Any attempt to criticize this list is an exercise in futility.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:56 pm 

Anthrax's debut is pretty much the only album from them I really enjoy. It's definitely pretty awesome.

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:04 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Anthrax's debut is pretty much the only album from them I really enjoy. It's definitely pretty awesome.

I never got the hate for Turbin. I find him much more enjoyable then Belladona, and wonder how he would've sounded like on the future albums.

Gooner
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:02 am 

Xeogred wrote:

I never got the hate for Turbin. I find him much more enjoyable then Belladona, and wonder how he would've sounded like on the future albums.

Same here Turbin is awesome, I like Belladona to, but Turbin is awesome and their debut kicked arse, I also don't get the hate towards that album, and Turbin in general.

On another note I think Metal Church kicks arse no matter which era it is, I like pretty much all their stuff, ok their new stuff isn't as good as their older stuff, but its still miles better than what most other bands are doing

Classic.

http://www.last.fm/user/gooner_89

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:28 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
The Truly Epic And Monstrous List Of The 10 Most Insanely Awesome Riffs…ever!!

Yeah, i have checked out your previous list. By the way such as death bands Epitaph, Desultory, Cancer played awesome thrash riffs early 90's.

What about Vendetta - Hate; 1:30

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:04 am 

Heathen wrote:
Heathen will definitely have a new album this year. A deal with Mascot Records has been inked and plans are in motion. I was just up in the Bay Area a little over a week ago to do some more pre-production work on more new songs and the material is sounding great. Yes, it's true that everyone is very busy but we will make this happen. Fear not, the album will come out!

Kragen

Last time it was supposed to come out two months ago ... but hey, better than silence I guess. And I'd rather have the greatest album ever made than something half-perfect because they couldn't wait to release it. Starts blasting the demo for the hundredth time today.

If it wasn't for Exodus I don't doubt we would have had that record ages ago, yet in stead we're served with a groove shitfest called "The Gayfest Exhibition". I am confident that Gary Holt and co. will be in a coma after hearing the new Heathen record.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:37 am 

DGYDP wrote:
Heathen wrote:
Heathen will definitely have a new album this year. A deal with Mascot Records has been inked and plans are in motion. I was just up in the Bay Area a little over a week ago to do some more pre-production work on more new songs and the material is sounding great. Yes, it's true that everyone is very busy but we will make this happen. Fear not, the album will come out!

Kragen

Last time it was supposed to come out two months ago ... but hey, better than silence I guess. And I'd rather have the greatest album ever made than something half-perfect because they couldn't wait to release it. Starts blasting the demo for the hundredth time today.

If it wasn't for Exodus I don't doubt we would have had that record ages ago, yet in stead we're served with a groove shitfest called "The Gayfest Exhibition". I am confident that Gary Holt and co. will be in a coma after hearing the new Heathen record.

I have a suspicion that being in Exodus will have an effect on the new album. Hopefully, this won't be true but if it is...*shudders*
we sail across the sea!

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:40 am 

Wra1th1s wrote:
I have a suspicion that being in Exodus will have an effect on the new album. Hopefully, this won't be true but if it is...*shudders*

LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALA NEW ALBUM WILL BE AWESOME LALALA

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:43 am 

DGYDP wrote:
Wra1th1s wrote:

LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALA NEW ALBUM WILL BE AWESOME LALALA

:lol:
we sail across the sea!

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:07 am 

All of you people stop whatever you're doing and listen to Satan - Trial by Fire (yeah yeah, I know it's not thrash). Particularly to the riff at 0.16. The riff intrigues me quite a bit, I'm looking for more information ...

When I first heard it it instantly made me think of Artillery, which uses lots of similar riffs (on the two latest albums). It struck me just now that I've never heard another band use riffs in this style (or maybe I just can't remember).

Does anybody know of bands that use these types of riffs? What's the origin behind them? Where did Satan find inspiration? What scale are they played in? They sound sort of oriental, so I'm guessing that's where they were invented.

I was thinking of sending an email to Michael from Artillery about it, but he'd probably just think I completely lost my mind. I'm hoping somebody knows more about this type of riff because this has been bothering me for quite some time.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:25 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
Does anybody know of bands that use these types of riffs?

I'm not a musician so this is the only question I can answer, but Hexenhaus' Incubus (on the A Tribute to Insanity album) at 4:26 has a similar Middle Eastern sounding riff. That's all I can think of, though.

Madsorceror
Intrepid Warrior Poet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:53 pm 

You know, the new Death Angel record is pretty fucking rad. Yeah, I know it's not anything like The Ultra-Violence, but who cares. But then, I preferred Act III over that anyway, so that's no surprise.

Why do thrash freaks insist that everything sound pure, with no other musical influences or change whatsoever? I'm just as happy listening to this stuff as a Kreator clone (hello, Avenger of Blood).

On a mostly unrelated note, that new D666 record better come out this year or I'm going to cry like a little girl.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:35 pm 

The new Death Angel is fucking terrible. It's not because "it's different", it's because it fucking sucks. The first two tracks are decent, but the rest fails so fucking hard.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:50 pm 

I wouldn't be so harsh, at least the songs are catchy and a bit memorable. Hell, even a lot of then are headbang worthy.

I enjoy the newest, it's not terrible just not amazing.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:54 pm 

Madsorceror wrote:
On a mostly unrelated note, that new D666 record better come out this year or I'm going to cry like a little girl.

Everyone with a decent taste in metal will be crying like a little girl if that album doesn't come out. There's only so many times I can listen to 'Phoenix Rising' over and over again. Well actually that's a lie, but I'd like to add another album of theirs to the repertoire.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:06 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
All of you people stop whatever you're doing and listen to Satan - Trial by Fire (yeah yeah, I know it's not thrash). Particularly to the riff at 0.16. The riff intrigues me quite a bit, I'm looking for more information ...

Steve Ramsey and Russ Tippins are just fucking Gods! :nods:

I never even took into consideration how unusual that riff was though, I'm just kind of shocked whenever I listen to that album ... I just can't believe how ahead of its time it was.

Kind of makes me think of Running Wild and how Kasparek riddled his music with those pirate-esque riffs, that you honestly don't hear very often in other bands. Really original I'd say.

Sadly, Artillery's all that comes to mind to me right now as well. Have you listened to Blind Fury and Pariah? Maybe they have some similar riffs somewhere, I've never really thought about it though so nothing comes to mind at the moment ...

(side note: Blind Guardian did a cover of Trial By Fire somewhere, it's neat. Not quite the same without Ross though).

God, this is probably my second favorite album next to Ample Destruction. :metal:

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:13 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
You know about Pariah...right?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:14 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
DGYDP wrote:

Steve Ramsey and Russ Tippins are just fucking Gods! :nods:

I never even took into consideration how unusual that riff was though, I'm just kind of shocked whenever I listen to that album ... I just can't believe how ahead of its time it was.

Kind of makes me think of Running Wild and how Kasparek riddled his music with those pirate-esque riffs, that you honestly don't hear very often in other bands. Really original I'd say.

Sadly, Artillery's all that comes to mind to me right now as well. Have you listened to Blind Fury and Pariah? Maybe they have some similar riffs somewhere, I've never really thought about it though so nothing comes to mind at the moment ...

(side note: Blind Guardian did a cover of Trial By Fire somewhere, it's neat. Not quite the same without Ross though).

God, this is probably my second favorite album next to Ample Destruction. :metal:

Mention Satan and Xeogred shows up to chat. :p

I need to hear that album again, I always forget. It rules.

Oh, right, Thrash. Uh. Razor rules.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:17 pm 

I think Break Free could count as thrash ... pretty much.

:np:

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:54 pm 

Wra1th1s wrote:
DGYDP wrote:
Heathen wrote:

Kragen

Lee doesn't write any Exodus material, and you don't know him. That's not his way of things. He doesn't even like downtuning, but that's how Gary does things. Lee's favorite album of all time is Bonded By Blood and he has been friends with Gary (A total fucking asshole, who does everything at the expense of his friends) for years.

The new Heathen will not have any of that groove bullshit, dude. Simple as that.

Prodd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:53 pm 

Any of you like Kragens from France?

I searched extensively for their albums, I only have a few tracks off Seeds of Pain. I really like this band, they're modern thrash, the guitar work's good and the vocalist is power metal-ish. Sounds weird, but the album sounds good.

Can't seem to find the whole album anywhere. :(

Also... no one's mentioned Sadus yet. :???:
wtf?

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:35 pm 

VictimsOfDeception wrote:
Lee doesn't write any Exodus material, and you don't know him. That's not his way of things. He doesn't even like downtuning, but that's how Gary does things. Lee's favorite album of all time is Bonded By Blood and he has been friends with Gary (A total fucking asshole, who does everything at the expense of his friends) for years.

The new Heathen will not have any of that groove bullshit, dude. Simple as that.

Oh c'mon I say one little thing and you get this riled up? I'm not saying that it's for sure, I'm saying that it's a fucking possibility. I'm pretty sure that Heathen will not go 'geigh' on us, but you can't deny the possibility.
we sail across the sea!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 136  Next