Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:49 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I'm not sure I consider many bands really "evil" or "scary", so it's hard for me to judge.

There is a new band that you might be interested in though, Morlok Von Grimorog : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgRNhkmp3c4

I missed this post, had to pause the song after a minute and a half because this is too awesome to not hear properly in the context of the full album. I'm getting recent Satan's Host vibes only without the cookie-cutter production and much more twisted 80s-vintage riffing, thanks for posting this.

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:18 am 

Smitty wrote:
televiper11 wrote:
Been listening to the more extreme end of new-ish thrash, bands like Hellbringer, Oath Of Cruelty, Hypnosia, & Nekromantheon -- all of whom could be considered clones of their progenitors but bring great energy and interesting riffs & twists to the table. My question is... who am I missing that is similarly appreciative of early-mid 80's Slayer/Kreator/Sodom/Pestilence/Sepultura but is high quality enough to stand up past the appreciation.

I always thought these had that 80's German vibe, but more extreme and updated.

Nocturnal Fear - Excessive Cruelty

Scythelord - Toxic Mind

Thanks! Scythelord is dope!

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:52 pm 

Been diggin' High Command: blackened thrash the slightest tinge of Integrity style hardcore. Damn nice. Someone recommended it awhile back here.

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:28 pm 

Does anybody know any bands like Damien (Swedish band) and Hexenhaus's first two releases?

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:26 am 

Been checking out Condor and am pleased:

https://condornorway.bandcamp.com/album ... able-power

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 am 

televiper11 wrote:

Yeah, great band. Too bad that they broke up.

black3bird
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:52 pm 

Spoiler: show

Thrash!

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:12 am 

infrablack wrote:
televiper11 wrote:

Yeah, great band. Too bad that they broke up.

Bummer. Had no idea.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:43 am 

televiper11 wrote:
Bummer. Had no idea.

Their MA page shows that they are active. Hope that's true because this is pretty fuckin' sweet. Getting major Deathammer & Sadistik Exekution vibes from this.

Norway has pretty killer (and underappreciated) thrash scene it seems.

Myrkrarfar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:20 am 

Condor is awesome! Where does the break-up generate from? Seems odd, considering they just put out an album.

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:08 pm 

While not thrash per se, the new Wolfbrigade is sporting an even bigger thrash influence than usual:

https://wolfbrigadesl.bandcamp.com/albu ... the-hunted

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:41 pm 

Been revisiting a few of my favorite "tech thrash" albums lately. Taking this list as context, what else am I missing here? Preferably more obscure stuff from the 80s/early 90s, but if a more modern band fits that vibe, then I'll be sure to check it out.

Mekong Delta - The Music of Erich Zann
Aspid - Extravasation
Target - Master Project Genesis
Realm - Endless War
Depressive Age - First Depression
Hexenhaus - Tribute To Insanity
Deathrow - Deception Ignored
Watchtower - both LPs
Toxik - World Circus

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:36 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Been revisiting a few of my favorite "tech thrash" albums lately. Taking this list as context, what else am I missing here? Preferably more obscure stuff from the 80s/early 90s, but if a more modern band fits that vibe, then I'll be sure to check it out.

Mekong Delta - The Music of Erich Zann
Aspid - Extravasation
Target - Master Project Genesis
Realm - Endless War
Depressive Age - First Depression
Hexenhaus - Tribute To Insanity
Deathrow - Deception Ignore
Watchtower - both LPs
Toxik - World Circus

Entophyte, end of society's sanity
Deathrow, life beyond
Coroner, 1st 4 albums
Immaculate, atheist crusade
Temple of blood, overlord
Sieges even, life cycle
Obliveon, from this day forward
Sadus, swallowed in black
Dark angel, time does not heal
Artillery, by inheritance
Annihilator, never never land
Blind illusion, the sane asylum
Helstar, nosferatu
Destruction, cracked brain
Forbidden, 1st 2 albums
Martyr, hopeless hopes
Spiral architect, a sceptic's universe
Scenery, the drowning shadows of mankind
Voivod, most everything

Hopefully something in this list will make you happy.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:47 am 

Rediscovered a couple of bangers:

In Malice's Wake (Aus)

Beseiged (Can)

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:22 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Entophyte, end of society's sanity
Deathrow, life beyond
Coroner, 1st 4 albums
Immaculate, atheist crusade
Temple of blood, overlord
Sieges even, life cycle
Obliveon, from this day forward
Sadus, swallowed in black
Dark angel, time does not heal
Artillery, by inheritance
Annihilator, never never land
Blind illusion, the sane asylum
Helstar, nosferatu
Destruction, cracked brain
Forbidden, 1st 2 albums
Martyr, hopeless hopes
Spiral architect, a sceptic's universe
Scenery, the drowning shadows of mankind
Voivod, most everything

Hopefully something in this list will make you happy.

The ones I bolded are albums/bands I'm not familiar with, and they should keep me occupied for a while. Thanks for the recs!

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:00 pm 

Some more to add if you're still looking:

Absolute Zero - S/T (remastered demo comp, easiest way to describe is a (Darkthrone) Goatlord/Nespithe style in thrash format, very hectic complicated music, with a performance that sounds more between the first Watchtower album and The Accused)
Brothers Grimm - Helm's Deep (uber-tech/shred stuff, not entirely thrash but then again neither was Watchtower)
DBC - Universe (concept album, was a weird non-aggressive vibe yet some of the least repetitive arrangements in tech-thrash, worth a listen just for its originality)
Despair - Decay of Humanity (one of the most melodic tech-thrash albums)
Disciples of Power - Powertrap; Invincible Enemy; Mechanikill (gradually incorporated more death metal elements but I see them as fundamentally tech-thrashy, earlier stuff was kinda your Hell Awaits/None Shall Defy thrash played with a little more complexity and speed, later stuff was more experimental)
Megace - Human Errors (I need to listen to this again to remember why I've always loved this so much, but I think it gets a lot of hate over the singer, definitely some cool shifty Cracked Brain-style riffing at least)
Sacral Rage - Illusions in Infinite Void (very Toxik and Watchtower-y, but still very fresh)
Taramis - Stretch of the Imagination (kinda sounds like a thrashier transition between Fates Warning's No Exit and Perfect Symmetry, a couple more prog metal songs)
Terrahsphere - Third in Order of the Sun (this album goes up and down on me, lately more up, timing/rhythm-wise it's a bit simpler than most tech-thrash, but the speed and over-the-topness makes up for it, maybe imagine the shorter songs on the Aspid album performed by an unrehearsed Realm or something)

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 pm 

A couple more to add, though perhaps more well known than the other recs so far:

Antidote - don't know how to describe this, but I just got it today and it's awesome tech thrash.
Astharoth - Gloomy Experments - excellent Polish tech-thrash. Very similar to Wolf Spider IMO.
Caustic - Malicious - not quite as technical as the other bands recommended, but definitely just a straight-up weird band. This isn't a great record, but if you're looking to round out your collection, I would purchase it.
Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy - I have known about this forever, but only just got this record tonight. To me, it's like if Sadus were playing tech thrash on Illusions. Really fast, in your face stuff.
Hexx - Morbid Reality - This isn't often labeled as tech thrash, but the drumming alone should earn it that label. There are tons of intricate fills all throughout the record. Aside from that, it is a standard death/thrash album.
Wolf Spider - Drift in the Sullen Sea - another Polish band. Not too much to say about them other than that this album has some unique ideas that are really interesting.

I will also second Terrahsphere's album as being one of the most insane records ever put forth.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:15 am 

I generally neglect Hexx's thrash stuff since No Escape was always my favorite, but I gave Morbid Reality another shot recently and it was surprisingly good. Sounds pretty tech-y to me.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:40 pm 

Damn, thanks for all those recs guys! A few of those I already know, but haven't listened in a while so it will be cool to revisit. This will definitely keep me busy!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:05 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Damn, thanks for all those recs guys! A few of those I already know, but haven't listened in a while so it will be cool to revisit. This will definitely keep me busy!

I'd be interested in hearing you report back and see what you thought of some of these.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:35 am 

Adding my voice to the Condor fans. Fucking Kolbotn man, Fenriz, Nekromantheon and now Condor. The s/t song on Unstoppable Power is fucking awesome. And so is Malevolent Curse. But the whole album delivers. Definitely on my top ten of 2017. It has that rabid frenziness that I love in thrash.

Norway's scene is definitely among the top right now globally, along with the Chilean and Greek scenes.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:30 am 

on the note of Condor and that whole awesome Norwegian scene, new Antichrist (SWE) album is sounding awesome as hell. I made a thread about it:

https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... 1&t=118458

here's the tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt9wWs3Pzdw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJj9he1sntY
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:38 am 

Came here literally just to post hype about the new Condor record. I haven't heard a second of it yet but the s/t debut was everything right about thrash metal, that most bands are missing these days. Speed tempered with DANGER. Anyone can play fast. You gotta make it sound dangerous and on the verge of going off-rails. What a fucking killer band, can't wait to own the new one.

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:06 am 

Am I alone in thinking we are living through a second golden age of thrash? Just this year alone, multiple thrash releases have blown me a way to a point I haven't experienced since the late-80's. I'm talking about the following records:

Vampire - With Primeval Force

Condor - Unstoppable Power

Power Trip - Nightmare Logic

Antichrist - Sinful Birth

I'm sure there's even more great stuff I haven't heard yet.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:50 am 

I haven't heard Vampire or Antichrist yet (though I've heard a few tracks from the latter), and I just don't get the appeal of this sloppy black/thrash. It's not bad, but Witchtrap does it so much better. I'm in the minority but for me, 2008-2012 or so was already a second golden age of thrash. So many memorable albums from really inspired bands. A lot of them are still going now, but it did feel a bit fresher back then.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:26 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
... I just don't get the appeal of this sloppy black/thrash.

+1

I hope poorly produced, thin sound doesn't become a trend. Shame because some of the songs have potential, but I've got too much money into audio equipment to play raw, thin sounding music. But to each his own.

Instead of me just bitching, let me add some positive recommendations that someone may benefit from.

Demons Within - Godslayer
Legionary - Arcane Divisions 2.0
Scythelord - Toxic Minds
Harm - Demonic Alliance
Schizoid - Liver (reminds me of a modern day Vio-lence)
Mastery - Lethal Legacy
Project Pain - Thrashed to Kill
Depremacy - Scars of Treachery
Arsonist - The Ultimate Banishment (a little crusty rawness here, but not thin or terrible production)

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:17 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
I haven't heard Vampire or Antichrist yet (though I've heard a few tracks from the latter), and I just don't get the appeal of this sloppy black/thrash. It's not bad, but Witchtrap does it so much better. I'm in the minority but for me, 2008-2012 or so was already a second golden age of thrash. So many memorable albums from really inspired bands. A lot of them are still going now, but it did feel a bit fresher back then.

Nothing sloppy about that Vampire album!

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:15 pm 

I get that I was using hyperbole and my claim of a second golden age of thrash obviously goes back a few years (thinking Ripper, Vektor, etc).

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:25 pm 

I've written a ton of technical thrash mini-reviews if anyone here is interested in reading them: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/GeneralZ ... rm-of-art/

Feel free to let me know what you think.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:39 pm 

Lots of great reviews in there. Reading a list like that makes me continue to realize that no matter how many old-school thrash albums I collect, the hunt will never truly end. Thanks for putting that together!

I'm a bit surprised at the exclusion of Heathen's Victims of Deception though. That's a classic tech-thrash record for sure.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:14 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I've written a ton of technical thrash mini-reviews if anyone here is interested in reading them: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/GeneralZ ... rm-of-art/

Feel free to let me know what you think.

Nice reference ... the most complete and accurate I've seen :thumbsup:. I agree with you about Time Does Not Heal. I've probably heard 75% of these and agree with the majority of your assessments (except I still think Holy Wars is an incredible song (on the Big Four blu-ray) ... and I'm not a huge Megadeth fan either). Coroner's Mental Vortex is my overall favorite technical thrash release. One that's not on your list that would be on mine is Violent Omen's Lunatic's Revenge.

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:13 am 

Well done on those reviews. Reading them over made me wonder what the connection is between technical thrash and high-pitched vocals. So many of those bands feature high-pitched singing, which I've often found quite off-putting. Made me want to give some of those bands, like Realm, a second chance.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:46 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Lots of great reviews in there. Reading a list like that makes me continue to realize that no matter how many old-school thrash albums I collect, the hunt will never truly end. Thanks for putting that together!

I'm a bit surprised at the exclusion of Heathen's Victims of Deception though. That's a classic tech-thrash record for sure.

Thanks!

I am in the minority of people who like these kinds of bands .... I actually only like a handful of Heathen songs. But I do like some of the tracks Lee has written for Exodus.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:49 pm 

Smitty wrote:
Coroner's Mental Vortex is my overall favorite technical thrash release.

That's an awesome one and they definitely topped themselves after No More Color ... no small feat!

Quote:
One that's not on your list that would be on mine is Violent Omen's Lunatic's Revenge.

I have both their albums flagged to review in the future when I get some time.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:51 pm 

televiper11 wrote:
Well done on those reviews. Reading them over made me wonder what the connection is between technical thrash and high-pitched vocals. So many of those bands feature high-pitched singing, which I've often found quite off-putting. Made me want to give some of those bands, like Realm, a second chance.

Thanks!

Good question. I think it's the idea of having multi-octave "over the top vocals" to complement the dynamic busy fretwork and drum fills. That's the way I looked at it when I first heard Watchtower.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:50 pm 

televiper11 wrote:
Am I alone in thinking we are living through a second golden age of thrash? Just this year alone, multiple thrash releases have blown me a way to a point I haven't experienced since the late-80's. I'm talking about the following records:

Vampire - With Primeval Force

Condor - Unstoppable Power

Power Trip - Nightmare Logic

Antichrist - Sinful Birth

I'm sure there's even more great stuff I haven't heard yet.

I agree and I don't consider these bands 'sloppy black/thrash.' Just sounds like a badass German style extreme thrash resurgence to me. Some of the best albums in that style since Hypnosia and Antichrist's first album years ago. Fastkill and Nekromantheon have also done good work in this style.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 am 

Fastkill is dope, thanks for the rec!

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:08 am 

Holy shit guys, the new Antichrist is really, really, really awesome. It's everything I like about good old (european) thrash metal, with the organic production and everything but the songwriting is WAY more than just old school thrash worship. There's tons of melodic heavy metal to be found among the filthy, evil thrash and it's a marvel to hear them mix celtic frost and epic heavy metal in the same song. I mean they had this element of heavy/thrash on Forbidden World too but this time around they stepped up their game. The s/t track, The Black Pharaoh, they all have this element in spades, the latter for example in the middle and the solo section REALLY takes off. I would say it shares this epic old school feel and thrash in a similar manner with Destroyer 666 - Wildfire, so if you liked that one, definitely check Antichrist too.

Top 5 album for the year I think...

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Last edited by Dungeon_Vic on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MayanWarrior86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:17 am 

I just checked out the new Skinlepsy album, pretty good if you're searching for some intense death/thrash.

https://skinlepsy2.bandcamp.com/album/dissolved

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:51 am 

Someone recommended Chaos to me and I'm moderately impressed with these preview tracks. Thoroughly modern thrash from India, decent riffs and production, not totally sold on the vocalist.

https://chaosthrash.bandcamp.com/album/ ... rash-metal

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 136  Next