Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Khroshan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:25 pm 

metalphonos wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm looking for some new Black Metal to get into. I'll try to narrow down as specific as I can with band names of what I like, rather than trying to use adjectives that may hold different values for you all.

Amesoeurs, Defiallance, Burzum, Belenos, Weakling, Taake, and Wolves in the Throne Room.

I know there is a gap from band to band here, but I'm willing to give anything a listen. Thanks ahead of time if you've got any recos.

Im just beginning to explore black metal, but I think that if you like Burzum and WITTR, there is a pretty high chance you will like Drudkh as well. Their earlier work is heavily atmospheric, nature influenced black metal - their album Autumn Aurora is incredible.

Heidenreich
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:55 pm 

Great thread, sticky much?

I'm looking for black and/or atmospheric metal, like Burzum, Goatmoon and Tulus. Or something with similar vocals.

Samples would be nice.

Khroshan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:00 pm 

Heidenreich wrote:

I'm looking for black and/or atmospheric metal, like Burzum, Goatmoon and Tulus. Or something with similar vocals.

Samples would be nice.

Will recommend Drudkh again, check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yf3eyXhlwg

boxoxob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:40 pm 

Anybody have any rec's for vocalists similar to Rainer Landfermann from Bethlehem (Dictius Te Necare)? The mostly high pitched, aggressive, yet dismal screaming with occasional growls.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:44 pm 

boxoxob wrote:
Anybody have any rec's for vocalists similar to Rainer Landfermann from Bethlehem (Dictius Te Necare)? The mostly high pitched, aggressive, yet dismal screaming with occasional growls.

No black, but might want to give Funeralium a try. Or perhaps even Ataraxie.

Anyway, Landfermann is a God. You liked Suizid (Bethlehem)? If so, try Deinonychus, also vocals done by Kehren. I particulary like Insomnia, but again, it's no black. So maybe I should just shut up :p

Heidenreich
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:53 pm 

Khroshan wrote:
Heidenreich wrote:

Samples would be nice.

Will recommend Drudkh again, check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yf3eyXhlwg

Not really feeling it.

boxoxob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:03 pm 

Weerwolf wrote:
boxoxob wrote:

Anyway, Landfermann is a God. You liked Suizid (Bethlehem)? If so, try Deinonychus, also vocals done by Kehren. I particulary like Insomnia, but again, it's no black. So maybe I should just shut up :p

I love Deinonychus. I've had a hard time finding any vocalists like Rainer.
I'll definitely check out those bands.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:21 pm 

boxoxob wrote:

Well, Landfermann cannot be matched easily but give a listen to Silencer. Nattramn's voice is more high pitched than Landfermann's (and fucking sick I will add) but I personally like it a lot. It has occasional growls too.

Heidenreich wrote:

Good idea but this call belong to the moderators :)

http://www.metalfighters.com/

Kvisling
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:32 pm 

I'm looking for bands that use that vocal style that suicidal bands always have, that really high pitch wail that's sometimes seems far away, but that are not suicidal/depressive bands themselves. I hate that style of black metal, with way overlong song and patently homosexual "melencholy" melodies.

A good example would be Lust, from Canada, though they are a bit experimental for my tastes they are a band I enjoy a great deal and they use that neato vocal style (as well as some other stuff).

In general I enjoy black metal bands with a more punk or traditional black metal feel to them. Also, I hate black/death death/black bands.

Can any of you help me?
Member #1 of the AFMF: You are with us or against us!!!! ,,|,

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:40 pm 

So, nothing at all out there like the incomparable Furze, hm?

boxoxob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:55 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
boxoxob wrote:

Well, Landfermann cannot be matched easily but give a listen to Silencer. Nattramn's voice is more high pitched than Landfermann's (and fucking sick I will add) but I personally like it a lot. It has occasional growls too.

Yeah, I've got Death - Pierce Me by Silencer. I like them, but they definitely don't got the Landfermann thing going on.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:14 pm 

Kvisling wrote:
I'm looking for bands that use that vocal style that suicidal bands always have, that really high pitch wail that's sometimes seems far away, but that are not suicidal/depressive bands themselves. I hate that style of black metal, with way overlong song and patently homosexual "melencholy" melodies.

A good example would be Lust, from Canada, though they are a bit experimental for my tastes they are a band I enjoy a great deal and they use that neato vocal style (as well as some other stuff).

In general I enjoy black metal bands with a more punk or traditional black metal feel to them. Also, I hate black/death death/black bands.

Can any of you help me?

You will enjoy the following bands:

Dodsferd - This great Athenean band manages to blend Blackened Punk (or Black n' Roll) with Suicidal Black Metal (mostly in the vocal delivery though). Wrath is a great vocalist and I'm sure that you'll enjoy him thoroughly.

Nadiwrath - Side-project of Wrath and this time the sound leans more towards the Black n' Roll spectrum. Still, the vocals remain the same as Dodsferd so if you like Dodsferd there is no way to dislike Nadiwrath.

Xenophobia - You have to listen to the full-length of this band. It's one of the best NSBM releases I've heard and only M8L8TH and Aryan Art can match them. Silent Brotherhood is a hymn. However, avoid the Vomit On The Rabbi demo at all costs. About their style now. I am not sure on how to describe them. They are very melodic but I couldn't call them Melodic Black Metal. Their riffs are more in the Norwegian vein, their drums keep mostly a punky pace and their vocals are high pitched. I cannot offer a best description. Try them out and you won't regret it.

Solstafir - Listen only to their first demo. Mostly in the vein of Viking Black Metal but Tryggvason's voice is very high pitched. Also, the solo on I Nordri is very evocative. While listening to it, images of Iceland and Viking battles pop up in your head.

M8L8TH - This band is exactly what you want. Their music is a straight mix of Black Metal and Punk and the vocals are very high pitched (in fact they have two vocalists who have great interplay). Listen to By The Wing Of Black and you will be persuaded.

Lutomysl - Mid-paced Black Metal with some atmospheric elements. The vocalist's high pitched voice is extremely characteristic. Moholuta Ocholkan is on the list of my favourite BM songs.

Profane Solitude - Lutomysl before the name change. Back then the music was more Punk-influenced but it was still very good.

I hope I helped you :)

Abominatrix wrote:
So, nothing at all out there like the incomparable Furze, hm?

I haven't heard them yet so I cannot help you, my friend :(

Kvisling
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:38 pm 

Thanks, Mors Gloria. I already know Xenophobia, and their "Vomit On The Rabbi" demo is one of my favorites. I absolutely despise their full length, it's got to be one of the worst abominations of the entire black metal genre. M8L8TH is also a band I dislike intensely. I vaguely remember hearing Dodsferd, and not caring too much for it, but I'll look it up again. I will check out the other bands you mentioned, Nadiwrath, Lutomysl, Profane Solitude, and Solstafir (though I don't have high hopes for this, as I don't care for Viking metal).

If anyone else has any more recs, I'm all ears.

[EDIT]: I gave the Xenophobia full length another spin, and it's not as bad as I remember, but still light years from good. The metal parts didn't make my ears bleed, exactly, but the accoustic parts are the most attrocious things I've ever heard. I still like The True Xenophobia album better.

Last edited by Kvisling on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:11 pm 

Have we listened to the same Vomit On The Rabbi demo? :p

Anyway, Solstafir is not your standard Viking Metal. It's more reminiscent of Burzum than anything to be sincere.

Kvisling
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:18 pm 

Idk why people dislike it so much. It's got some neat riffs (some really strange ones too), the vocals are really cool, it's got that odd almost frantic pacing to it, yet show restraint throughout, and over all it has that kind of semi-accoustic feel to it that reminds me of old Absurd (though they don't sound too similar). Plus a secret, hidden Beherit cover at the end, now that's a nice surprise. Can't beat that.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:26 pm 

Look, I haven't found it in real format so I only have it via mp3s. And I do not know if the quality of my mp3s are responsible but I cannot listen to a single fucking thing. This demo along with Heidegger of Judas Iscariot have the worst production jobs I've ever heard. And I never had a problem with any LLN band in terms of production so it cannot be my listening.

Kvisling
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:30 pm 

I have it as mp3's as well. It sounds perfectly clear to me. Somewhat muffled, perhaps, but nothing abbrasive, which is the main problem with the "super raw" bands.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:34 pm 

Weerwolf wrote:
boxoxob wrote:

Or Hyadningar, to better fit the thread. Melodic Black Metal with members from Ataraxie.

There's also Isolation (Ger), the vocals aren't as 'mastered' as the other mentioned bands though. They're influenced by old Bethlehem anyway.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:35 pm 

boxoxob wrote:
Weerwolf wrote:
boxoxob wrote:

I love Deinonychus. I've had a hard time finding any vocalists like Rainer.
I'll definitely check out those bands.

Sure, actually, Marquis (Funeralium, Ataraxie) is the new vocalist of Bethlehem! Their are some tracks of the Suizid album, but altered and with Marquis doing the vocals on their myspace. They sound spectacular, to say the least.

http://www.myspace.com/bethlehemasylum

I for one am a huge supporter of Marquis and can't wait for more material with the new and rather spectacular line-up of Bethlehem.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:36 pm 

Kvisling wrote:
I have it as mp3's as well. It sounds perfectly clear to me. Somewhat muffled, perhaps, but nothing abbrasive, which is the main problem with the "super raw" bands.

I never had a problem with anyone of these "super raw" bands in terms of production. But in that demo and JI's Heidegger I cannot decipher anything at all. Well, let's agree that our hearing is very different ;)

metalphonos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:14 pm 

Im just beginning to explore black metal, but I think that if you like Burzum and WITTR, there is a pretty high chance you will like Drudkh as well. Their earlier work is heavily atmospheric, nature influenced black metal - their album Autumn Aurora is incredible.[/quote]

Thanks for the rec. Definitely adding them to my collection. Cheers!

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:30 am 

metalphonos wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm looking for some new Black Metal to get into. I'll try to narrow down as specific as I can with band names of what I like, rather than trying to use adjectives that may hold different values for you all.

Amesoeurs, Defiallance, Burzum, Belenos, Weakling, Taake, and Wolves in the Throne Room.

I know there is a gap from band to band here, but I'm willing to give anything a listen. Thanks ahead of time if you've got any recos.

Well, as you're new to Black Metal I'm going to post a list with the best BM bands that me and other MA members have recommended in the past. Enjoy:

Melencolia Estatica - One woman project that succeeds in being both melodic and agressive. Medidatio I is a great song

Rivendell - Very good Folkish Epic Black Metal act. Side-project of Falagar of Ahnenstahl fame. Don't expect something technical. Just expect a very good atmosphere.

Fanisk - Melodic NSBM from the US

Eldrig - Ditto, more of a symphonic element on top though

L'Acephale - Nattens Madrigal-era Ulver styled BM from the US.

Munruthel - sort of BM from Ukraine, based on it anyway, picks up on the more melodic aspects of Nokturnal Mortum (being the side project of a member of NM) and has a more solid rhythmic base

Balor - raw BM from England with high-quality orchestral/choral samples over the top. Beautiful to hear.

Nordlicht - If you like Ambient Black Metal there's no doubt that you will like them.

Cry Of Silence - Mid-paced BM with some folky and atmospheric elements.

Antestor - Really good Unblack Metal with some Doom Metal elements. If you are in for melodic and slightly slower Black Metal you'll like them.

Kamaedzitca - Folk / Black Metal with deep growls from Belarus. Great guitar work and good folk moments. The singer sings low-pitched but you can understand what he says (if you know how to read Belarussian cause the lyrics are in Cyrillic). Mostly mid-paced.

Poccolus - Legendary Pagan Black Metal band from Lithuania. Mostly mid-paced too.

Ha Lela - The frontman of Poccolus played also in these guys. More folky than Poccolus but still worth a try.

Altoriu Seseliai - Ambient Black Metal at its best. Avinpapis is immensely creative and he manages to merge the weird sound of Anubi with Deep Purple. Yet the result is still undeniably Black Metal.

Anubi - Avantgarde Black Metal from Lithuania. They cannot be compared with anyone. A must for any fan of Black Metal or weird music in general.

Obtest - Pagan / War Black Metal from Lithuania. Obtest are among the best known bands of the scene and they really deserve it.

Skyforger - Pagan Black Metal from Latvia. I could compare them to Obtest.

Dissimulation - Thrashy Death / Black Metal from Lithuania. Their sound is old-schoolish.

Urskumug - They call themselves Tribal Black Metal. Their music can be described as a more thrashy and more atmospheric Skyforger.

Wolfsangel - Ok, this has practically nothing to do with Black Metal (despite the Black Metal / Oi tag that has here). I consider it straight-up Oi (metallized Oi to be sincere cause of Seb's singing). I like it though and I think you're going to like it too.

Dodsferd - Black and Roll? Blackened Punk? Suicidal Black Metal? Somewhere in between? You decide. The only thing I know is that every work that Dodsferd has spewed out is brilliant.

Nadiwrath - Side project of Dodsferd's Wrath. Straight-up Black and Roll this time.

Bornholm - Black Metal from Hungary with great guitar work. Their covers on Iron Maiden's Transylvania and Carl Orff's Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi are among the best covers I've heard. Their songs kick ass too.

Straasha / Numenor - Just get their split. It's one of the best BM splits I've ever heard. Imagine a Black Metal version of Agalloch, put some Enslaved and you have these two bands.

Wargoat - Black Metal from Greece with one demo tape that kicks ass.

Anti - One of the best suicidal Black Metal bands around.

Xenophobia - Probably the best NSBM band from the US. Their music is solid, melodic and at times even folky.

Veil - Atmospheric Black Metal. Side project of Xenophobia.

Epheles - Great French BM band. Ambient Black Metal with some great folky guitar riffing. Awesome band.

M8L8TH - Wicked band. Great vocalists. Mostly mid-tempo Black Metal.

Lutomysl - Mid-paced Black Metal with some atmospheric elements. Great riffing and a sick voice to top it.

Profane Solitude - Lutomysl before the name change. More punky stuff but in overal their music is as good as Lutomysl.

Solstafir - Progressive Black Metal from Iceland. Good stuff but I'd reccomend their first demo which is more towards a Viking Black Metal vein

Zemial - Their latest work is one of the best homages to the memory of Quorthon. Their earlier works were Black / Thrash Metal.

Silencer - This is how depressive black metal should sound like. Nattramn is a crazy vocalist.

Kawir - Folky Black Metal from Greece. Very good stuff with a strong pagan vibe.

Northern Breeze - Their latest work is one of the best BM releases of 2007.

Ravencult - Black Metal band from Greece. They combine elements from Norwegian and Greek Black Metal. Very solid band.

Dictator - Great Cypriot Ambient Black Metal. Pretty disturbing music.

Reverorum ib Malacht - Ambient BM from Sweden. The definition of creepy music.

Obsequies - Another great Ambientish Cypriot BM band. Musical paroxysm as their demo says.

Accurst - Side project of the members of Obsequies. More ambient than Obsequies, same creept soundscapes.

Absentia Lunae - If you like Melencolia Estatica, you'll like them.

(V.E.G.A.) - Crazy Italian Black Metal band. Not your conventional sound. These guys are psychopaths.

Waffen SS - NSBM from Italy. They rely heavily on samples, keyboards and a contrast between BM vocals and clean hymnic vocals. I find them pretty unique.

Holy Blood - Black Metal with some Folk elements. Their guitar riffs are pretty nice.

Evroklidon - Side project of Holy Blood's member. Atmospheric Black Metal with some melodic aspects.

Vaakevandring - Another Black / Folk band. Nice melodies are to be found there.

Slecthfalk - Black / Folk Metal from Holland. Folk elements are dominant.

Arvinger - Viking Black Metal from Norway. The keyboardist of Pagan's Mind play in those guys.

Volkolak - Russian NS Folk band. Their last album, Dark Shrine Of Scales, is a Black Folk Metal album and it kick ass.

Profanum - Classical music mixed with Black Metal? Hell yes! This Polish band deserves your attention. Give them a try.

Tartaros - Symphonic Black Metal done extremely right. The Red Jewel and The Grand Psychotic Castle are classics.

Helheim - One of the bands that started Viking Black Metal along with Enslaved. A must.

Bergtagen - Do yourself a favour and check them out. Neofolk mixed with Black Metal and on top of that a very skilled guitarist.

Herbst - Neofolk mixed with Black Metal once again. Pretty good stuff.

Godkiller - One of the few Monegascan bands that exist. The Rebirth Of The Middle Ages is a must have.

Drowning The Light - Through The Noose Of Existence is a good album with some glorious atmospheres. Check it out.

Antichrisis - Pretty untagable band. It draws elements from Black Metal, Doom Metal, Medieval music and so on. Worth a try.

Algaion - Pretty good Swedish BM band. Very melodic music.

Octinomos - Side project of Algaion. Poorer production but the general mood remains the same.

Raventale - Doomy Black Metal with a strong Folk vibe. Some people compare them with Drudkh. You'll like them.

Darkestrah - A must for any BM fan. Shamanistic Epic Black Metal could be a correct description for their music.

Desaster - The German one. Black / Thrash band that kicks some major ass. Hellfire's Dominion is considered a classic.

Kataxu - I am surprised that no one mentioned them yet. If you like Emperor, Kataxu is a must.

Temnozor - I am surprised that no one mentioned them yet too. Epic Folk / Black Metal. It puts more weight in epicness than metalness though but it's still great.

Apotheosis - Malta's greatest Metal act along with Beheaded (fans of Brutal Death Metal or Death / Grind know them). Imagine Bathory (both early thrash era and later epic era Bathory), throw in some Symphonic elements and what you get is Apotheosis. Farthest From The Sun is a gem.

Evol - Atmospheric Black Metal with many Medieval elements thrown in. Flutes, female vocals, narration, atmospheric guitar solos. They are all there and they make a very good mix. If you like Bal-Sagoth I have the feeling that you'll like them.

Adhur / Aiumeen Basoa / Ilbetz - These three bands have released a split called The Triarchy Of Vasconia. Get it at all costs. Adhur is a band that combines Black Metal, Folk Metal and Doom Metal in a very good way. Iluno (a song on that split by Adhur) is one of the most depressive songs I've heard. Sheer beauty. Aiumeen Basoa is more folky than Adhur. Longer song lenghts as well. Ilbetz is a band that combines Prog Rock and Folk Metal with some hints of Black Metal. They do not use vocals and their songs are long and epic (passing the 10 minutes mark, with one of the 2 songs being a 16 minute epic song).

Waylander - Folk Black Metal tendencies that is purely gold. Reawakening Pride Once Lost is a gem.

Forest Silence - Looking for Ambient Black Metal? If yes, they will get the job done.

Kinstrife & Blood - Epic Black Metal. That's all that you need as a description. A must.

Austere - The Australian one. Formed by members of Kinstrife & Blood. Mid-paced Black Metal with vocals that stand out.

Swastyka / Sunwheel - Swastyka changed their name to Sunwheel. Regardless the name their music remained the same. And that's good cause they are amongst Poland's finest NSBM acts. Monuments Of Elder Faith as Sunwheel and Prophecies Of Aryan Moon as Swastyka are the releases that you must own from them.

Galgenberg - Polish NSBM band. It seems more aggresive than the aforementioned ones (Kataxu, Sunwheel, Swastyka etc.) and they often border Death Metal (despite using keys). Good riffs though (especially Fatum out of s/t demo). Worth a try.

Tearstained - One-man BM project that kicks ass. Great riffs with vocals reminiscent of King Diamond.

Smohalla - Post rock combined with Black Metal. Smohalla have their own sound. Very interesting band.

Galvorn - Symphonic Black Metal band from Bolivia. A friend of mine recommended them to me (strangely he is more into punk and classic rock yet he knew these guys) and they are quite awesome. You can find their stuff via their MySpace or YouTube.

Syny Severa - Aka Sons Of North. NSBM from Russia that really kicks ass. Oleg released three killer albums in the period of 2 years and then he seized his activity due to problem with russian police forces (fuck those bastards!). Every Syny Severa album is a must.

Aryan Art - NSBM from Bulgaria. I have their full-length and I aim to get the split with Amarok any time soon. Their full-length is an amazing piece of music that blends mid-paced to fast-paced BM with Martial and Folk music. You may also want to check Alexander's other projects (Nenavist, Pagan Obsession, Sturm Kommand). You may be luckier than me.

Strid - They are the creators of Depressive Black Metal (along with Burzum) and still no one mentioned them. End Of Life will blow you away.

Misanthropic - Krieglord's own project that manages to blend nicely raw black metal with violin samples. Doomed By The Immortality is a perfect example of Raw Black Metal done right.

Black Angel - Black / Death that kicks ass. Wicked solos that seem like they are straight from the pits of hell. Be sure to get From The Darkness.

Unholy Archangel - Do you old Death / Thrash? Put a Black Metal twist in it and the outcome is Unholy Archangel.

Kratornas - Black / Grind that kicks some major ass. Over The Fourth Part Of The Earth is an amazing album and the opening song (Deathwings) will grab you from the balls immediately.

Forest - Pagan NS Metal with very folky atmosphere and clean vocals. Good stuff.

Nacht Und Nebel - Mid-paced Black Metal (most of the time) with really tortured vocals (literally the singer sings like a pig in the butchershop).

Sombre Chemin - Mid-paced Black Metal from France. Their songs derive an epic feeling. I like them a lot. If you like mid-paced BM you'll like them too.

Wodulf - Wargus Esto is considered a must and not without a reason. Wodulf is one of the good Greek NSBM bands. Side-project of Hjarulv and Hagall from Der Sturmer. Luckily, their sound is better than Der Sturmer.

Crux Dissimulata - Good Epic Black Metal. Low to mid-paced music with beautiful acoustic passages. Their split with Sombre Chemin is really good.

Velimor - NSBM from Russia with some Folk influence. Connected with BlazeBirthHall bands like Raven Dark, Forest, Nitberg, Wotansjolv, Vargleide, Rundagor and Braniklad. Speaking of BBH I have to check more bands from BBH cause I've only checked Velimor and Forest.

Frost - The Canadian one. Their first demo is good but not something exciting. Their recent split with Pagan Hammer though is an excellent work. 3 epic tracks of Ambient Black Metal that any fan of ambient or mid-paced Black Metal will like.

Kaiserreich - Italian band. Black Metal in the vein of old Darkthrone with hints of depressive BM (some slower or more melodic riffs). The vocalist is great. I saw them live yesterday and I am very pleased about what I saw.

Breath Of Sorrows - Songs like My Distant Dreams Buried are not created easy. Take their MySpace and listen to the third song -> http://www.myspace.com/breathofsorrows

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:09 am 

Any black with lots of good guitar solo's, leads, ...? Something along the lines of Peste Noire.

I listened to Black Angel, but didn't really like the vocals, other than that it sounded quite good I must say.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:28 am 

Weerwolf wrote:
Any black with lots of good guitar solo's, leads, ...? Something along the lines of Peste Noire.

I listened to Black Angel, but didn't really like the vocals, other than that it sounded quite good I must say.

Any band that came out of the Greek Black Metal scene circa 1991-1998. Rotting Christ, Necromantia, Varathron, Agatus, Zemial, Order Of The Ebon Hand etc.

Also, don't miss out some other bands that follow the Hellenic sound like Shores Of Seol.

Bergtagen, Solstafir, Hortus Animae, Bornholm and Clad In Darkness may do the trick as well.

goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:50 am 

I like my black metal epic sounding like Bal-Sagoth.
I also love psychedelic and if theres anything combining that I would love it

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:07 am 

goatmanejy wrote:
I like my black metal epic sounding like Bal-Sagoth.
I also love psychedelic and if theres anything combining that I would love it

So, you want Psychedelic Black Metal. Excellent choice :) Here are some bands:

The Mausoleums - Well, one it's sure about this band. They're fucked up. And I mean it serious. Their first album is drenched in distortion (way more distorted than let's say Velvet Cacoon). A commentor wrote about their first album:
Commentor comment wrote:
It's almost like Ildjarn or Beherit recorded by Masonna and produced by Merzbow.

And he is certainly right. The second album is a little more restrained. It's more ambient than noise and it has some good riffs. You may like them but you have to listen them only if you want something really fucked up. Here's the link -> http://www.aquariusrecords.org/bin/search.cgi

A Forest Of Stars - That's probably one of the best combinations of Black Metal and Psychedelic I've ever heard. Slow, emotional and at times eerie music. They use a violin, a flute and a pianoforte in order to enhance the atmosphere of their music. The music is is mid-paced. The riffs are evocative with some Doom Metal qualities and the vocals are desperate and at times commanding (great performance by the vocalist by the way). Perplexed_Sjel (the guy that wrote the review for A Forest of Stars's The Corpse of Rebirth and gave them 92% by the way) compared them with The Ruins Of Beverast and I can see where he's coming from cause the Black Metal parts have some similarities (evocative doomy riffs, slow pace and desperate sounding vocals). Highly recommended band. Here's the link to their myspace -> http://www.myspace.com/aforestofstars

Drawn - Christer Cederberg after the break-up of In The Woods formed this band. The band's sound leans more towards Gothic Metal with Psychedelic elements and some Black Metal influences.

Vediog Svaor - Vediog Svaor combine slightly Progressive Black Metal with Psychedelic. Van Vadermark is the mastermind behind Vediog Svaor. The band belonged to Paragon Records when they were still active (now little are known for them) and I think that you could still find their full-length in their site. Here's the link -> http://www.paragonrecords.net

Njiqahdda - Well, here we have a pretty weird band. They cover a wide variety of genres ranging from Black Metal to Electronica to Funeral Doom Metal to Psychedelic Rock to Ambient to anything you can imagine. Not all of their albums contain Black Metal though. Fortu Manske Ortais a noise recording. Interesting note: Don't bother with finding vocals as when they exist they are buried underneath the soundscapes. Anyway, here's the link to their myspace -> http://www.myspace.com/njiqahdda

Anubi - Anubi were the first Lithuanian BM band and I certainly wish that more Lithuanian bands tried this style of Black Metal. Only Altoriu Seseliai took some inspiration from them. But I'll digress. Anubi's style is very personal and original. They use saxophones and accordions along with two probably constructed instruments that call "Eclipse Parafernalia" and "Triumphfunder" (don't ask me what the fuck that means). Anyway, try them and you'll surely like them. They should be a genre of their own.

Altoriu Seseliai - Last but not least we have the great Lithuanian one-man project that goes with the name Altoriu Seseliai. They incorporate elements of Blues Rock (Avinpapis is a big fan of Blues Rock), Ambient, Classic Rock, Black Metal and the aforementioned Anubi (they should be a genre of their own as I said earlier). Check the review of DBettino in their MA page as it's very descriptive of Altoriu Seseliai's sound. You can download the demo from their homepage. Here's the link to their homepage -> http://www.altoriuseseliai.net/angliskai/main.htm
and the link to their myspace -> http://www.myspace.com/altarshadows
Their Cds are distributed by Todestrieb. Highly recommended.

I hope I was helpful my friend :)

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:02 am 

wagontrain wrote:
Wrath_Of_War wrote:
UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
Too bad Dagon sounds like a duck too often... and those samples they are so fond of are kind of silly.
Is this the Dagon from Texas? The one with the vocalist that covers himself in mud and gets way too emotional looking with the micstand? yeah...I'll never go see that band again :lol:

No. Dagon the singer and guitarist of Inquisition, not Dagon the (not really that bad) black metal band from Texas.
My mistake.

and I never said Dagon was a bad band. Their singer just looks like an idiot when they play live. The second I saw him walking toward the stage, I said ".......what the fuck? He's covered in mud and wearing a trench coat."

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:20 am 

Mors, I'm surprised given your extensive knowledge in this field that you haven't given Furze a good listen yet. They are definitely a strange and uniquely psychedelic entity. I don't see how you could not revel in the Reaper's individual eccentricities and greatness, even though I'm sure nobody understands his music as Woe J. Reaper himself does. :)

You're absolutely right about Anubi. What a wonderful band they were. I have a strange story about sitting on the shore of Lake mIchigan during a thunderstorm with some friends and observing someone sailing their boat across the lake, seemingly obblivious to the dangerous weather. The eerie thing is that that was the very summer that Lord Ominous supposedly died in a sailing accident on Lake Michigan. i'm sure it wasn't him, but still, it gave me a weird feeling to read about that almost a year later. Anyway, I love this band .. have the album, 7 and both demos and they really are remarkable.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:22 am 

Weerwolf wrote:

If you go back through the first few pages I made the EXACT same request. I got some great recommendations, aside from the ones Mors already mentioned its absolutely mandatory to check out "Ritual" by Master's Hammer and "Hell Symphony" by Root. Also grab "...Et Pluere Le Batard" by Seviss, great french BM in the vein of Vlad Tepes, except better riffs/solos.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:54 am 

I'm looking for some music similar to Woodtemple and Butterfly Temple, hopefully without "temple" in the name.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:21 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Mors, I'm surprised given your extensive knowledge in this field that you haven't given Furze a good listen yet. They are definitely a strange and uniquely psychedelic entity. I don't see how you could not revel in the Reaper's individual eccentricities and greatness, even though I'm sure nobody understands his music as Woe J. Reaper himself does. :)

I can explain it. Furze are from Norway. And I do not know anything about Norwegian BM except of classic bands and Strid. I'll check them out though.

Abominatrix wrote:
You're absolutely right about Anubi. What a wonderful band they were. I have a strange story about sitting on the shore of Lake mIchigan during a thunderstorm with some friends and observing someone sailing their boat across the lake, seemingly obblivious to the dangerous weather. The eerie thing is that that was the very summer that Lord Ominous supposedly died in a sailing accident on Lake Michigan. i'm sure it wasn't him, but still, it gave me a weird feeling to read about that almost a year later. Anyway, I love this band .. have the album, 7 and both demos and they really are remarkable.

That's indeed a weird story. I do not have the albums in physical format though. I cannot find them :(

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:06 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

[I can explain it. Furze are from Norway. And I do not know anything about Norwegian BM except of classic bands and Strid. I'll check them out though.

THen you must cast aside your prejudices. Come on, you know the Swedes are worse than the Norwegians anyway. :D .. how about Faustcoven? Joyless (though admittedly their black metal stuff is quite old now). Still a lot of worthy stuff from Norway that's not among the notorious, classic early 90s scene.
Quote:

Abominatrix wrote:

That's indeed a weird story. I do not have the albums in physical format though. I cannot find them :(

I got them from Ebay, so look around there. The 7 is one of my most prized possessions actually as it seems that it is very rare.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:50 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
THen you must cast aside your prejudices. Come on, you know the Swedes are worse than the Norwegians anyway. :D .. how about Faustcoven? Joyless (though admittedly their black metal stuff is quite old now). Still a lot of worthy stuff from Norway that's not among the notorious, classic early 90s scene.

Basically, I never liked the classic 90s BM scene apart from Burzum, Strid and some Darkthrone albums (Transylvanian Hunger, A Blaze In The Northern Sky). I don't know why but I never got into it. I'll check Faustcoven though and I'll do some research :)

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:19 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
It is a Funeral Doom band and a lot of people are waiting for the full-length...
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Algaion - Pretty good Swedish BM band. Very melodic music.

I have the Omei Algaion album and it should be noted that it needs some times until someone will appreciate the art of this band.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:24 pm 

metalphonos wrote:

Nahar - the first demo.
The first of this release is a crushing depressive Black Metal song... excellent in every respect. The atmosphere is stunning and creates in the mind of the listener teh impression of a desolate and abandoned landscape. The extensive monotony of the drums and the riffs foster this impression. A hard to get release.

Another neat depressive Black Metal band is Feigur. They have a very promising first release out and the last thrack has a great atmosphere. It is close to Burzum and Strid.

My podcast:

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:26 pm 

Kvisling wrote:

Can any of you help me?

Have you tried Morte? The sound is very raw, but somehow amazing. I really like their EP.

My podcast:

Last edited by oneyoudontknow on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:38 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
It is a Funeral Doom band and a lot of people are waiting for the full-length...

They have Funeral Doom elements for sure but they are wat too haunting to be just that. And I await the full-length too ;)

By the way, does anyone know who gave me my new title and why?

tethys
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:34 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
I'm looking for some music similar to Woodtemple and Butterfly Temple, hopefully without "temple" in the name.

From what I heard of Woodtemple(which was one EP, going by the sound of that), you should try out newer Graveland. Both have a similar "epic" style, though I very much prefer Graveland's. Try Fire of Awakening.

For Butterfly Temple, I would go with some of the other Russian bands in that style. Ashen Light and Alkonost are pretty good. Older Ashen Light is probably your best bet. Veles Song is a pretty good album from Ashen Light.

GoatSodomyGasMask
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:38 pm 

Can anyone recommend anything similar to the strange post-punk black metal Amesouers and Alcest play, preferably with similar vocals?

CosmicFury
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:49 pm 

I'm looking for melodic Folk/Black albums whose songs tend to be very long and drawn-out, preferably with long Folk passages as well. Moonsorrow's Tämä Ikuinen Talvi is a good example, but it really doesn't have to sound anything like that album.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 142  Next