Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
winterdemonwolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:02 pm 

Spenot wrote:
^ Try out:
Klaubatamann - very similar to Clad In Darkness, same kind of vocals, same kind of song structures, but they have a bit better production.

Dornenreich - also very similar, although they use clean vocals as well and have symphonic elements due to the heavy use of keyboards.

I love Klabautamann, Der Ort is a brilliant album.

I'll check out Dornenreich but I have a feeling that they wouldn't be as similar.

wagontrain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:50 pm 

winterdemonwolf wrote:
I'd like something which sounds like Clad in Darkness. What makes Clad in Darkness great to me are the extremely sad melodies that are woven instead of just repeating tremolo picking power chords up and down for 16 minutes and then calling it depressive black meta.

Nae'blis - Sketches of Reality

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:55 pm 

Today I decided to try again Svarrogh and Sombres Forêts. And I really have to reccomend them to whoever is interested. A little overview:

Svarrogh - This Bulgarian band has shown marvellous versatility through the years. The base of their music Folk / Black Metal. However, they incorporate very often Death Metal elements and straight-up acoustic Folk elements. They have kickass riffs and great atmosphere. They have even created a completely Folk album. I believe that they are worth anyone's attention.

Sombres Forêts - Good Canadian Black Metal with some Epic and Depressive elements thrown in. What stands out in them is that unlike most DBM bands they have very good riffs and leads. Surely reccomended.

http://www.metalfighters.com/

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:45 pm 

Very helpful thread!

I am looking for bands sounding like Nazgul (Ita). I don't know any other bands that sound very similar. Heavy usage of keyboards providing that epic and medieval feeling covered in a nice black metal sauce.

And a second request is bands with a similar sound like that of Troll (their first album). I already have In times Before the Light by Kovenant so no need to recommend them...

Any other bands sounding like Burzum's 'Filosofem' or Thyrane's 'Symphonies of Infernality' are welcome too... (yes, that's quite a broad taste but I am very picky though...)

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:47 pm 

Braltika wrote:
I am looking for bands sounding like Nazgul (Ita). I don't know any other bands that sound very similar. Heavy usage of keyboards providing that epic and medieval feeling covered in a nice black metal sauce.

Summoning, though you probably know them.

Hellveto, Profanum, and Apotheosis are all keyboard-heavy and epic black metal bands.

Also, I have a feeling that you will love Nokturnal Mortum's Lunar Poetry. Keyboard usage isn't as heavy as the other bands I mentioned, but somewhat folkish feeling and atmosphere as well as beautiful melodies are present.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:51 pm 

Yes yes, already know Summoning. Should have mentioned them. Thanks for the tips, I'll check those out.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:40 pm 

I've tried a couple times to delve into black metal, but I could never really stomach a lot of the cliched ideas and sounds (constant blast beats, intentionally shoddy production, mandatory satanic gibberish, etc.), but I've warmed up a little bit as of late. So far my favorites have been 1349's Hellfire, Nifelheim's self titled, and Marduk's Nightwing, mainly because they have honest to god riffs that are completely memorable and destructive (especially the riff 1:52 into Nightwing, fucking awesome). I'm still kind of adjusting to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, and I couldn't fucking stand Transylvanian Hunger when I first heard it, but I'm kind of thinking I should give it another shot. Raw production isn't a problem, but stuff like Judas Iscariot's Heaven in Flames had production that was so intentionally shitty I couldn't bear it.

So I guess I'm asking for some riff centric black metal with halfway decent production. It also doesn't have to be "pure" black metal so to speak, elements of thrash or death or whatever are most welcome.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:43 pm 

Behemoth, later Satyricon, I, Tsjuder, and Trollech all use relatively clean production.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:49 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I've tried a couple times to delve into black metal, but I could never really stomach a lot of the cliched ideas and sounds (constant blast beats, intentionally shoddy production, mandatory satanic gibberish, etc.), but I've warmed up a little bit as of late. So far my favorites have been 1349's Hellfire, Nifelheim's self titled, and Marduk's Nightwing, mainly because they have honest to god riffs that are completely memorable and destructive (especially the riff 1:52 into Nightwing, fucking awesome). I'm still kind of adjusting to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, and I couldn't fucking stand Transylvanian Hunger when I first heard it, but I'm kind of thinking I should give it another shot. Raw production isn't a problem, but stuff like Judas Iscariot's Heaven in Flames had production that was so intentionally shitty I couldn't bear it.

So I guess I'm asking for some riff centric black metal with halfway decent production. It also doesn't have to be "pure" black metal so to speak, elements of thrash or death or whatever are most welcome.
It's funny because I never found Marduk to be riff-centric.

Anyway, Master's Hammer, Diabolical Masquerade, and Sear Bliss are some of the riff-centric black metal bands with good production.

Also, for Darkthrone, I think A Blaze in the Northern Sky and Under A Funeral Moon are far more riff-heavy than Transilvanian Hunger (not to mention that those two are superior), and I recommend the Deatcrush stuff for Mayhem (more emphasis on riffs than De Mysteriis).
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Last edited by Kruel on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinPage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:51 pm 

I got into the death/black scene in 1990/1991 right when everyone came out, but quickly lost interest in BM due to it's redundancy. I'm a death metal fan at heart but can appreciate "different" black metal (not Dark Throne style). My favorite BM albums are:

Marduk - Those of the Unlight
Absu- Barathrum
Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design
Sadness - Ames de Macbre
Master's Hammer - Filemnice Occultist

After "Those..." Marduk became more and more like a "typical" black metal band (blinding speed with no variation). Blinding speed with no chance of pace bores me to tears (hence why I have no use for NILE, even though I love death metal). Satyricon is too 'rock & roll'. I even hate Entombed after "Clandestine" due to the "death & roll".

I've been hearing SEAR BLISS on XM Radio's Liquid Metal show and I like what I hear. They are different in a good way, not just for the sake of being different.

Any recommendations for bands of that ilk? People seem to mention Negura Bunget in the same breath as Sear Bliss.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:00 pm 

KevinPage wrote:
I got into the death/black scene in 1990/1991 right when everyone came out, but quickly lost interest in BM due to it's redundancy. I'm a death metal fan at heart but can appreciate "different" black metal (not Dark Throne style). My favorite BM albums are:

Marduk - Those of the Unlight
Absu- Barathrum
Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design
Sadness - Ames de Macbre
Master's Hammer - Filemnice Occultist

After "Those..." Marduk became more and more like a "typical" black metal band (blinding speed with no variation). Blinding speed with no chance of pace bores me to tears (hence why I have no use for NILE, even though I love death metal). Satyricon is too 'rock & roll'. I even hate Entombed after "Clandestine" due to the "death & roll".

I've been hearing SEAR BLISS on XM Radio's Liquid Metal show and I like what I hear. They are different in a good way, not just for the sake of being different.

Any recommendations for bands of that ilk? People seem to mention Negura Bunget in the same breath as Sear Bliss.

Haha, I actually thought you were responding to BastardHead's request.

Anyway, so you want "different" black metal, right?

Arcturus is obvious, since they are overtly "different," and far more chaotic than a normal band.

Mortuary Drape and Necromantia are more "metal" BM bands, with an emphasis on riffs and leads.

Ceremonial Castings is pretty heavy black/death with beautiful keyboard lines incorporated seamlessly into the overall brutality.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:01 pm 

Kruel wrote:

Well, the only album I have (Nightwing) has many sections that I find to be memorable in the riff department. I've heard of their blasturbatory exploits at other points in their career, but I hear songs like Bloodtide and actually feel like headbanging.

Also, any particular albums I should look into by some of the suggestions? I understand that bands change sound and experiment throughout their careers, so I don't want to accidentally try out an album that's the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions by the way guys.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

KevinPage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:06 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Anyway, so you want "different" black metal, right?

Arcturus is obvious, since they are overtly "different," and far more chaotic than a normal band.

Mortuary Drape and Necromantia are more "metal" BM bands, with an emphasis on riffs and leads.

Ceremonial Castings is pretty heavy black/death with beautiful keyboard lines incorporated seamlessly into the overall brutality.

Thanks. No I had created a new thread earlier this evening, but it was locked after a few replies due to the existence of this thread.

So I went with my explanation of what I like, without even reading the above replies in this one.

KevinPage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:09 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Kruel wrote:

Well, the only album I have (Nightwing) has many sections that I find to be memorable in the riff department. I've heard of their blasturbatory exploits at other points in their career, but I hear songs like Bloodtide and actually feel like headbanging.

Also, any particular albums I should look into by some of the suggestions? I understand that bands change sound and experiment throughout their careers, so I don't want to accidentally try out an album that's the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.

Marduk's Those of the Unlight is an insanely memorable album, while being totally black metal. It doesn't have a shitty production, but it has a black metal production. They have time changes and riffs, yet it's still black metal. An incredible accomplishment if you ask me.

See my above posts about what I like, being a death metal fan since 1990 and having very little to no tolerance for "generic" black metal.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:11 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Kruel wrote:

I haven't heard every album by those bands, but here's what I recommned :

Sear Bliss - The Haunting
Diabolical Masquerade - Nightwork
Master's Hammer - Ritual

Apparently KevinPage is looking for similar stuff as you are, so read his posts and recs as well. :)

Edit : I just realized that all my recs were mentioned again by him. :lol:

KevinPage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:13 pm 

Kruel wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Kruel wrote:

I haven't heard every album by those bands, but here's what I recommned :

Sear Bliss - The Haunting
Diabolical Masquerade - Nightwork
Master's Hammer - Ritual

Apparently KevinPage is looking for similar stuff as you are, so read his posts and recs as well. :)

Edit : I just realized that all my recs were mentioned again by him. :lol:

You can be rest assured that you have good taste.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:03 am 

Check out Sigh as well. Very strange and yet good black metal. I'm not an expert on this band, but this thread would offer you some insight :

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=36616

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:37 am 

Braltika wrote:
Yes yes, already know Summoning. Should have mentioned them. Thanks for the tips, I'll check those out.

Apotheosis will do the trick for you, too. Let me give a short description:

Apotheosis - Malta's greatest Metal act along with Beheaded (fans of Brutal Death Metal or Death / Grind know them). Imagine Bathory (both early thrash era and later epic era Bathory), throw in some Symphonic elements and what you get is Apotheosis. Farthest From The Sun is a gem.

wagontrain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:16 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

Immortal - Pure Holocaust

Ignoring the image, this is some seriously dark and powerful black metal. It is thrash influenced without being a "light thrash" album like Sons of Northern Darkness. This album was highly influential to the style of black metal Inquisition later invented, which brings me to:

Inquisition - Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan OR Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult

A totally unique sound that you have to hear to understand. Combining thrash-like melodic leads, highly riff centric songs, with extremely dense and menacing atmosphere. It's actually a very catchy formula, you will instantly find yourself humming any number of riffs. Plus, the vocals are incredible.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:57 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. As of right now, the only ones I've gotten my hands on are the two Inquisition ones (I'm a filthy pirate, sue me) and I'm loving it. The vocals are a little bit out there, but they are pretty much exactly what I was looking for... honest to god fucking riffs.

wagontrain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:15 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. As of right now, the only ones I've gotten my hands on are the two Inquisition ones (I'm a filthy pirate, sue me) and I'm loving it. The vocals are a little bit out there, but they are pretty much exactly what I was looking for... honest to god fucking riffs.

Glad you like it. Inquisition is my favorite active black metal band.

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:48 am 

Kruel wrote:
Also, I have a feeling that you will love Nokturnal Mortum's Lunar Poetry. Keyboard usage isn't as heavy as the other bands I mentioned, but somewhat folkish feeling and atmosphere as well as beautiful melodies are present.
That is an amazing album, I rarely check demo's but this is one solid release!

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Apotheosis - Malta's greatest Metal act along with Beheaded (fans of Brutal Death Metal or Death / Grind know them). Imagine Bathory (both early thrash era and later epic era Bathory), throw in some Symphonic elements and what you get is Apotheosis. Farthest From The Sun is a gem.
Yep, Kruel mentioned them as well and indeed it is a great album, thanks for the advice, Kruel and Mors_Gloria. I'll check Hellveto and Profanum too.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:50 am 

wagontrain wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Glad you like it. Inquisition is my favorite active black metal band.

They're utterly fantastic, live, too. Really, an Inquisition show has to be experienced to be fully understood. Also, how the hell does Dagon get that unearthly tone with just his guitar?

I think it's a simple matter of over-saturation that leads people to believe that black metal isn't a very "riffy" genre. Really, there are loads of riff-heavy black metal bands, and I'm not talking black/thrash metal hybrids, nor norsecore nonsense like Marduk, either.. Bastard Head, you should check out some of the Greek and Czech black metal legends, particularly Root, Rotting Christ, Master's Hammer and Varathron. I don't think there's much need to type out explanations of those sounds now as I do that in almost every bm thread (:lol:) and besides, each band has loads of reviews already.

I checked out Clad in Darkness due to a few recommendations in this thread. Some interesting things going on there, but generally, I don't like the EP much. The music seems rather clumsily executed and the drummer doesn't at all feell comfortable playing this style of music .. he ought to be looser and less heavy-handed, I think. Nice to hear original bands though; perhaps they'll do somethingg captivating in time.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:55 am 

wagontrain wrote:
Inquisition - Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan OR Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult

A totally unique sound that you have to hear to understand. Combining thrash-like melodic leads, highly riff centric songs, with extremely dense and menacing atmosphere. It's actually a very catchy formula, you will instantly find yourself humming any number of riffs. Plus, the vocals are incredible.

This sounds very promising. Checking them out now.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:01 am 

Jonpo wrote:
wagontrain wrote:

This sounds very promising. Checking them out now.

I think you'll dig them too. :) .. such a captivating and pervasive evil feeling those albums have.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:07 am 

Too bad Dagon sounds like a duck too often... and those samples they are so fond of are kind of silly.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:28 am 

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
Too bad Dagon sounds like a duck too often... and those samples they are so fond of are kind of silly.

A duck? That's Maniac, or at least, a cartoon duck. :D

I like the samples. Been trying to figure out what movie the ones on "INto the Infernal Regions"...are from.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:42 am 

I'm also enjoying the samples. To me personally it helps break up the "seriousness" of a black metal album, which I find can get a bit pretentious/overbearing, and give it a little bit more...playfulness? Damn thats a very unmanly way to describe a black metal album. I do understand the comments about the vocals though. They don't bother me, but they do take some adjusting. I think my co-worker is appreciating it though, as opposed to the usual high pitch shrieking.

Overall I'm about half way through their second album and really enjoying it. How does their more recent material stand up to these first two releases?

wagontrain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:47 am 

Jonpo wrote:
I'm also enjoying the samples. To me personally it helps break up the "seriousness" of a black metal album, which I find can get a bit pretentious/overbearing, and give it a little bit more...playfulness? Damn thats a very unmanly way to describe a black metal album. I do understand the comments about the vocals though. They don't bother me, but they do take some adjusting. I think my co-worker is appreciating it though, as opposed to the usual high pitch shrieking.

Overall I'm about half way through their second album and really enjoying it. How does their more recent material stand up to these first two releases?

Their most recent album is the darkest sounding one yet and it also boasts some incredible riffs. Over time their sound has stayed very much the same, though there are somewhat fewer leads in favor of a slightly heavier approach. The only album of theirs which I would consider not up to par with the rest is Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer, which still has a number of great tracks.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:53 am 

Jonpo wrote:
I'm also enjoying the samples. To me personally it helps break up the "seriousness" of a black metal album, which I find can get a bit pretentious/overbearing, and give it a little bit more...playfulness? Damn thats a very unmanly way to describe a black metal album.

Oh, I beg to differ .. Satan is nothing if not playful, and charismatic. This idea that his music must be completely straight-faced, without a devious grin and debonair strutting is absurd. :D

"Nefarious Dismal Oration" is a fantastic album. I fully realised this when seeing the band perform some of these songs live .. argh, the riffs! Dagon is one creative bastard on guitar.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:09 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Oh, I beg to differ .. Satan is nothing if not playful, and charismatic. This idea that his music must be completely straight-faced, without a devious grin and debonair strutting is absurd. :D

You're quite right, now that I think of it. I must say the outro to Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan put a HUGE grin on my face. I had no idea what to expect from these guys as an outro but it was absolutely perfect. Definitely going to check out their newest release (I can't fucking find the first one) and start looking for a place to order these albums.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:51 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:

I think it's a simple matter of over-saturation that leads people to believe that black metal isn't a very "riffy" genre. Really, there are loads of riff-heavy black metal bands, and I'm not talking black/thrash metal hybrids, nor norsecore nonsense like Marduk, either.. Bastard Head, you should check out some of the Greek and Czech black metal legends, particularly Root, Rotting Christ, Master's Hammer and Varathron. I don't think there's much need to type out explanations of those sounds now as I do that in almost every bm thread (:lol:) and besides, each band has loads of reviews already.

Damn, listen to this man. He talks the truth (just add Zemial, Agatus, Order Of The Ebon Hand and Necromantia).

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:27 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:

I think it's a simple matter of over-saturation that leads people to believe that black metal isn't a very "riffy" genre. Really, there are loads of riff-heavy black metal bands, and I'm not talking black/thrash metal hybrids, nor norsecore nonsense like Marduk, either

True. Unless it's some minimalistic ambient black metal, I don't think black metal is any less "riffy" than death metal. Even the well-known bands, such as Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, etc. have loads of riffs, not to mention the more particualrly "riffy" bands.

HisEmissary
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:13 am 

Please regard this as more than ignorant bandspamming...

My own band, Ipsissimus, has just finished its debut EP. Influences immediately coming to mind include Deathspell Omega, Watain, Emperor, Thorns, Rotting Christ, Bathory and Morbid Angel. As the band's only guitarist and sole writer, I would genuinely appreciate the appraisal of my black-metal-knowledgeable peers.

Ipsissimus "The Three Secrets of Fatima"

http://www.mediafire.com/?a1aotzumkvc

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:16 am 

HisEmissary wrote:

My own band, Ipsissimus, has just finished its debut EP. Influences immediately coming to mind include Deathspell Omega, Watain, Emperor, Thorns, Rotting Christ, Bathory and Morbid Angel. As the band's only guitarist and sole writer, I would genuinely appreciate the appraisal of my black-metal-knowledgeable peers.

I've seen a post from you some time ago. The music is very good. :)

Actually, I'm re-listening to it right now, and there are plenty of great riffs. The riffy BM searchers above should check this band out. Vocals, drumming, production and such are also all perfect. I'll be looking forward to a full-length.

Last edited by Kruel on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:03 am 

HisEmissary wrote:

Very interesting stuff indeed. I'd like more solos but you're on the right track. Keep it up :thumbsup:

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:08 pm 

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
Is this the Dagon from Texas? The one with the vocalist that covers himself in mud and gets way too emotional looking with the micstand? yeah...I'll never go see that band again :lol:

HisEmissary
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:20 pm 

thank you very much Kruel and Mors

sincerely appreciated

wagontrain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:11 am 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
Is this the Dagon from Texas? The one with the vocalist that covers himself in mud and gets way too emotional looking with the micstand? yeah...I'll never go see that band again :lol:

No. Dagon the singer and guitarist of Inquisition, not Dagon the (not really that bad) black metal band from Texas.

metalphonos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:58 am 

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some new Black Metal to get into. I'll try to narrow down as specific as I can with band names of what I like, rather than trying to use adjectives that may hold different values for you all.

Amesoeurs, Defiallance, Burzum, Belenos, Weakling, Taake, and Wolves in the Throne Room.

I know there is a gap from band to band here, but I'm willing to give anything a listen. Thanks ahead of time if you've got any recos.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 142  Next