Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:00 pm 

I am searching for occult, melodic and headbangable black metal. Lots of riffs, thrashiness, melody and not going overboard on the brutality. Best if it is somehow heavy or thrash metal influenced. Some stuff I like is the lastest Rotting Christ album, Zemial, Kawir, Agatus, Filii Nigrantium Infernalium, early Moonspell, Decayed, Varathron, Necromantia, early Samael, Master's Hammer, Root - stuff of this accord. Alternatively stuff like Mayhem's "De Mysteriis..." is also good.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:20 pm 

Macaroni_Maniac wrote:
I'm looking for black metal with keyboards like in early Emperor, Blut Aus Nords Ultima Thulée and Satyricons Walk the Path of Sorrow.
It has to be something with a lot of work and thought put into it. I've heard a lot of black metal bands lately, but there's always that little extra lacking that doesn't make me come back to it. So, I know that this is vague, but I would like something that truly stands out.

Thanks in advance.

If you like early Emperor, you should definately check out: Kataxu - Hunger of Elements.
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

SJDJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:55 am 

Hey I am looking for a few good black metal bands to get started on. I am not totally sure where to start. I know the bigger names of the genre (COF, DB, Emperor, Gorgoroth, Burzum, Old Man's Child) but I know them mostly in name only. I think I have a grand total of three songs that I listen to from all of those bands.

I do immensely enjoy Japan's Kadenzza and Primordial but that's about all I know.

At the end of the day (or this post, whichever comes first haha) I am just looking for fairly accessible black metal (including how easy it is to get). I would prefer better production values as opposed to raw at the moment and natural/pagan lyrical themes but I am not overly stringent on either effect if the music makes up for it. If you feel you have a good black metal band/album/song that would get a listener hooked throw it at me.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:23 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Alternatively stuff like Mayhem's "De Mysteriis..." is also good.

ofermod - mysterion tes anomias is the DMDS emulation that comes closest to the original.

Macaroni_Maniac wrote:
I'm looking for black metal with keyboards like in early Emperor, Blut Aus Nords Ultima Thulée and Satyricons Walk the Path of Sorrow.
It has to be something with a lot of work and thought put into it. I've heard a lot of black metal bands lately, but there's always that little extra lacking that doesn't make me come back to it. So, I know that this is vague, but I would like something that truly stands out.

Thanks in advance.

try blood stained dusk - continuance of evil

GrimSleaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:59 pm 

Zdan wrote:
I am searching for occult, melodic and headbangable black metal. Lots of riffs, thrashiness, melody and not going overboard on the brutality. Best if it is somehow heavy or thrash metal influenced. Some stuff I like is the lastest Rotting Christ album, Zemial, Kawir, Agatus, Filii Nigrantium Infernalium, early Moonspell, Decayed, Varathron, Necromantia, early Samael, Master's Hammer, Root - stuff of this accord. Alternatively stuff like Mayhem's "De Mysteriis..." is also good.

You might really like Arckanum's PPPPPPPPPPP release. Lyrics were written with Chaos Gnostic undertones. Great occult black metal with slight thrash influences but still comes off as cold.

Wordless_Hon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:52 am 

I'm looking for some black metal similar to Fractal Possession or Deleted Scenes from the Transition Hospital. I've heard the style referred to as industrial-black metal but I've deliberately avoided attaching that title to avoid getting any Dodheimsgard type references. Ordo Ad Chao is another album that fits the style but I cant seem make it through more than a song or two before I get painfully bored

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:00 am 

Zdan wrote:
I am searching for occult, melodic and headbangable black metal. Lots of riffs, thrashiness, melody and not going overboard on the brutality. Best if it is somehow heavy or thrash metal influenced. Some stuff I like is the lastest Rotting Christ album, Zemial, Kawir, Agatus, Filii Nigrantium Infernalium, early Moonspell, Decayed, Varathron, Necromantia, early Samael, Master's Hammer, Root - stuff of this accord.

Negative Plane's debut album should be right up your alley. It sounds pretty much exactly like what you are looking for. Check out this sample song and see if you like it enough to buy the damn thing.
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

Acidchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:55 am 

Looking for well produced black metal of any kind.
Lately I've been listening to Sigh, Wolves in the Throne Room, and Absu.
Bonus points if it displays a variety of emotions.
I'm not big into black metal, so please don't leave out any super popular bands.

AWESOME BRUTAL DEATH METAL
CHECK IT OUT

ReyesFranco
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:24 am 

Ive been listening to black metal for a good 3 years now, and im looking for some new stuff with vocals like Dead's from Mayhem. also maybe some bands with low quality recordings (because you know... thats the bet way to listen to black metal, right?)

looking for something that sounds like archgoat, with insane lyrics
thanks alot for recommendations.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:01 am 

LokiGoddess wrote:
Zdan wrote:
I am searching for occult, melodic and headbangable black metal. Lots of riffs, thrashiness, melody and not going overboard on the brutality. Best if it is somehow heavy or thrash metal influenced. Some stuff I like is the lastest Rotting Christ album, Zemial, Kawir, Agatus, Filii Nigrantium Infernalium, early Moonspell, Decayed, Varathron, Necromantia, early Samael, Master's Hammer, Root - stuff of this accord.

Negative Plane's debut album should be right up your alley. It sounds pretty much exactly like what you are looking for. Check out this sample song and see if you like it enough to buy the damn thing.

Yes! This is exactly what I am looking for. Excellent music - melodic, occult, mystical, powerful - I heard some heavy metal stuff in there. Yummy!

And Arckanum is good too but a little too much on the orthodox side of BM for me. Which is weird because I like stuff like Antaeus, Watain and Ofermod.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:01 am 

Zdan wrote:

Also (assuming that you've never heard of them) check out Mortuary Drape. Very Occult, old-metal inspired black/death/thrash/heavy/whatever metal. Best starting point for you would be Secret Sudaria as it is their most metal-centric album. Very thrashy and full of headbangable riffs. Not quite as atmospheric as their other work, though (except for Mourn Path, which is fucking terrible and should be avoided).

Again, here is a song from Secret Sudaria. Do check it out.
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:03 am 

LokiGoddess wrote:
Zdan wrote:

Also (assuming that you've never heard of them) check out Mortuary Drape. Very Occult, old-metal inspired black/death/thrash/heavy/whatever metal. Best starting point for you would be Secret Sudaria as it is their most metal-centric album. Very thrashy and full of headbangable riffs. Not quite as atmospheric as their other work, though (except for Mourn Path, which is fucking terrible and should be avoided).

Again, here is a song from Secret Sudaria. Do check it out.

I adore Mortuary Drape. Really like them with their mysterious and occult heavy/black riffing. Great stuff. Would love if more BM was like this.

Acidchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:36 am 

I'm not very into black metal yet.
I have the essential albums by Immortal, Emperor, Mayhem, Burzum, Gorgoroth, Marduk, Ulver, Enslaved, Beherit and Darkthrone, as well as the latest albums by Absu, Leviathan, Wolves In The Throne Room, Sigh, Cobalt, and Deathspell Omega.

My favorite albums so far are Absu's latest, Sigh's latest, and A Blaze In The Northern Sky by Darkthrone.

What are some good albums I should go for now? I'm interested in all kinds of black metal, but haven't heard much of any of it other than what I've listed.

CHECK IT OUT

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:02 am 

There's all kinds of different bands you could look into but all I'm going to say is that you owe it to yourself to look into Inquisition. I'd start with either the first album (Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult) or the newest (Nefarious Dismal Orations). The vocals take some getting used to for some but I think the riffs and the drumming are both stellar. Dagon has a knack for writing stuff that manages to be catchy, headbangable, and still create some atmosphere.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:04 am 

Jonpo wrote:
There's all kinds of different bands you could look into but all I'm going to say is that you owe it to yourself to look into Inquisition. I'd start with either the first album (Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult) or the newest (Nefarious Dismal Orations). The vocals take some getting used to for some but I think the riffs and the drumming are both stellar. Dagon has a knack for writing stuff that manages to be catchy, headbangable, and still create some atmosphere.

I second this. Although as said earlier I am no black metal expert I find Inquisition to be both atmospheric, dark and pretty brutal and still retain that DMDS-style catchiness and headbangability.

Kenji_Arikado
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:42 pm 

What do you think about the Frech Band, Black Soul? from Alsace... i need more reviews...

Acidchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:57 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

I second this. Although as said earlier I am no black metal expert I find Inquisition to be both atmospheric, dark and pretty brutal and still retain that DMDS-style catchiness and headbangability.

They're sounding pretty good!
It's right up my alley too. Just listening to songs on myspace.

CHECK IT OUT

Wordless_Hon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:55 pm 

Wordless_Hon wrote:
I'm looking for some black metal similar to Fractal Possession or Deleted Scenes from the Transition Hospital. I've heard the style referred to as industrial-black metal but I've deliberately avoided attaching that title to avoid getting any Dodheimsgard type references. Ordo Ad Chao is another album that fits the style but I cant seem make it through more than a song or two before I get painfully bored

anybody?

Named
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:57 am 

Wordless_Hon wrote:
Wordless_Hon wrote:

anybody?

Have you tried Code or Aborym yet? I don't know if either of those are exactly what you're looking for since Code has two members of DHG (and it shows), and Aborym typifies industrial-black, but then again I can't quite tell what you're looking for since I really see Fractal Possession as DHG worship...

Wordless_Hon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:28 am 

Named wrote:
Wordless_Hon wrote:
Wordless_Hon wrote:

anybody?

Have you tried Code or Aborym yet? I don't know if either of those are exactly what you're looking for since Code has two members of DHG (and it shows), and Aborym typifies industrial-black, but then again I can't quite tell what you're looking for since I really see Fractal Possession as DHG worship...

From the samples I heard, I seem to recall Dodheimsgard being a bit to electronic for my taste, but maybe I should try them again. I know that Fractal Possession has a similar vibe at times but that's not what draws me to it. Fractal Possession (and especially Deleted Scenes) have a very dissonant and chaotic feel which is more what I'm looking for here.

alliaphagist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:59 pm 

Wordless_Hon wrote:
Named wrote:
Wordless_Hon wrote:
Wordless_Hon wrote:

anybody?

From the samples I heard, I seem to recall Dodheimsgard being a bit to electronic for my taste, but maybe I should try them again. I know that Fractal Possession has a similar vibe at times but that's not what draws me to it. Fractal Possession (and especially Deleted Scenes) have a very dissonant and chaotic feel which is more what I'm looking for here.
I think you should try DHG's latest again. I just can't see someone liking Fractal Possession but not DHG...they're too similar. Both are dark, dissonant, and industrial.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:07 pm 

may be a bit of a far fetch, but try menace ruine. might be too droney for you though.

I can only recommend the first full-length to you as it's the only one I know. fantastic stuff imo.

Fastwalker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:52 am 

This request may be slightly ambiguous (and subjective) but I recently got some quality headphones and some albums have really come alive with the improved sound quality. What I'm looking for are albums that really take you away in one way or another, not necessarily atmospheric BM as a genre, though they can be.

I'll list some albums to show you what I mean, perhaps they'll serve as rec's for others:

Ruins of beverast - Rain upon the impure
Drudkh - Autumn aurora
Walknut - Graveforest and their shadows
Vlad Tepes / Belketre - March to the black holocaust
Mutiilation - Vampires of black imperial blood
Judas Iscariot - Distant in solitary night
Heptameron - Blessed by the name of the dragon
Varathron - His majesty at the swamp
Brown Jenkins - Angels eyes (more doom than black though)
Raventale - Long passed days

Also, non BM (just to give you an idea):
Evoken - Antithesis of light
Nile - In their darkened shrines
Morning Beloveth - The world that crawled (just that particular song)
Jeff Wayne - The war of the worlds (to leave metal entirely)

Again it's a subjective request because most of these bands don't have much in common by way of sound. But if you have any quality BM that sucks you into it's soundscape I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!

GhostlyGloom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:22 am 

Fastwalker wrote:
This request may be slightly ambiguous (and subjective) but I recently got some quality headphones and some albums have really come alive with the improved sound quality. What I'm looking for are albums that really take you away in one way or another, not necessarily atmospheric BM as a genre, though they can be.

I'll list some albums to show you what I mean, perhaps they'll serve as rec's for others:

Ruins of beverast - Rain upon the impure
Drudkh - Autumn aurora
Walknut - Graveforest and their shadows
Vlad Tepes / Belketre - March to the black holocaust
Mutiilation - Vampires of black imperial blood
Judas Iscariot - Distant in solitary night
Heptameron - Blessed by the name of the dragon
Varathron - His majesty at the swamp
Brown Jenkins - Angels eyes (more doom than black though)
Raventale - Long passed days

Also, non BM (just to give you an idea):
Evoken - Antithesis of light
Nile - In their darkened shrines
Morning Beloveth - The world that crawled (just that particular song)
Jeff Wayne - The war of the worlds (to leave metal entirely)

Again it's a subjective request because most of these bands don't have much in common by way of sound. But if you have any quality BM that sucks you into it's soundscape I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if you mean by albums that take you away in terms of their own distinctive sound? I could be wrong but anyway:

Impavida - Eerie Sceneries: This album makes you feel like you're trapped in a haunted house. It gives you an eerie feeling and especially one that takes you away. It's really hard to explain it, because I think you'd have to experience it to be able to explain to yourself if it's what you're looking for.. I mean just look at the album cover for example haha.

Fialkinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:53 am 

Try Lustre - Part 1. PRetty slow intro, and quite repetitive. But all in all very good.

Fastwalker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:46 am 

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll check them out when I get home and let you know.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:56 am 

Fastwalker wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies, I'll check them out when I get home and let you know.

i always thought swarth by portal(death metal so not really black metal) would sound amazing with good headphones

El_Boogero
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:15 pm 

Hi there,

i currently found my way back to Black Metal music and am especially interested in two kinds.

1. Jazz-influenced music, like Shining (from sweden) or Shining (from norway). ;) The way Shining developed is quite fascinating if you look on black metals stilistic history so far. I would like to know, if there is more of this style. You may also think in bigger circles and include "avantgarde", like Dodheimsgard.
2. Nuclear-themed metal. I like Craft's "Reactor 4" (and their other music, of course) and Fallout 3 (I'm addicted ...) and thought these topics may would fit together. Sounds strange, I know.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:31 pm 

I'm looking for folky black metal along the lines of Drudkh's Blood in Our Wells, preferably with lyrical themes about nature.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:10 pm 

El_Boogero wrote:
1. Jazz-influenced music, like Shining (from sweden) or Shining (from norway). ;) The way Shining developed is quite fascinating if you look on black metals stilistic history so far. I would like to know, if there is more of this style. You may also think in bigger circles and include "avantgarde", like Dodheimsgard.

Not exactly in the same vein as Shining, but you may wish to turn your attentions to some of the older bands who pioneered the jazzy sound in black metal, like In The Woods... first album, perhaps early Forgotten Woods and bands like Ved Buens Ende. For a more modernised take, I'd suggest Klabautamann's latest album, 'Merkur'.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:32 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
El_Boogero wrote:

Not exactly in the same vein as Shining, but you may wish to turn your attentions to some of the older bands who pioneered the jazzy sound in black metal, like In The Woods... first album, perhaps early Forgotten Woods and bands like Ved Buens Ende. For a more modernised take, I'd suggest Klabautamann's latest album, 'Merkur'.

Second these, plus you should really check out Fleurety's early material. 'Min Tid Skal Komme' is one of the greatest and most creative black metal releases I've ever heard, as well as being well and truly ahead of its time.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:10 am 

And Den Saakaldte too.
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

The_Krusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:23 pm 

Does anyone know of any black metal similar to Carpathian Forest's Black Shining Leather?

Blackened110
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:29 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
chronolith wrote:
i'm looking for a recommendation for a black metal scene. I've been digging through a lot of US black metal lately because i like the evil, not overly-melodic melodies, but i'm trying to seek something new. i do enjoy melody when done right though (drudkh). any suggestions?

There are a lot of good BM scenes around their world. I would recommend 3 to you. The Czech, the Lithuanian and the Greek one.

The Czech BM scene existed from the early 90s and it has a lot of hidden gems. It has a lot of styles but Thrashy BM is its most characteristic product.

The Lithuanian scene is a much smaller but yet brilliant scene. It has quite a lot Pagan bands (Obtest, Poccolus, Ha Lela) but it also has some quite avan-garde bands that are bound to hold your interest if you're into experimental music (the almighty Anubi and the very interesting yet sadly now defunct project that goes by the name of Altoriu Seseliai). The last two are of course highly recommended.

The Greek scene now. I don't feel quite qualified to comment on the Greek scene because I'm a part of that scene so my comments would most likely be disregarded as subjective. What I can say though is that what is called Hellenic Black Metal (ie. the sound that Rotting Christ created back in 91 and was shaped and continued by Varathron, Necromantia and a lot of other bands and is still continue by a few bands) is my favourite BM sub-genre. The afore-mentioned Rotting Christ, Varathron, Necromantia along with Thou Art Lord, Zemial, Deviser, Disharmony, Darkest Oath, Jackal's Truth and a lot other bands of the 92-96 era are worth checking out. The sound is characterized by a warmer feeling and a lot of solos and melodic parts. Most of Hellenic BM bands are now defunct (with the exception of Rotting Christ of course) and the sub-genre is a lot less played these days.

Well, I hope I was able to help a bit. Cheers.

I am going to have to agree and disagree with this. All those bands you said rule but Greece had later bands that ruled just as well. Check out Athos, Legion of Doom, and Nocturnity

mgjerv
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:44 pm 

Okay, so i've been listening a lot to black metal lately, and mainly Satyricon, Immortal and Mayhem. It's hard to describe, but anything in the vein of The Shadowthrone and Dark Medieval Times would be great.

I haven't listened to too much Immortal, but both Sons of Northern Darkness and All Shall Fall is great to me.

Mayhem's Chimera, with songs like Dark Night of The Soul and My Death really stands out. They make the modern sound work. I like their debut aswell, but I haven't listened a lot to it.

Given that information, any recommendations? :)

Carbone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:04 am 

I don't really have a reference point for this, so I'm not sure how it popped into mind. But, does anyone know of some fairly raw/under-produced symphonic BM with no cheese? Bonus points if its from the 90's.

EDIT: right after I posted, lol. Emperor In The Nightside Eclipse is the most obvious answer, so don't fell obligated to mention that one lol. Anything else (even the most seemingly obvious), please throw at me!

Fialkinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:22 am 

Carbone wrote:
I don't really have a reference point for this, so I'm not sure how it popped into mind. But, does anyone know of some fairly raw/under-produced symphonic BM with no cheese? Bonus points if its from the 90's.

EDIT: right after I posted, lol. Emperor In The Nightside Eclipse is the most obvious answer, so don't fell obligated to mention that one lol. Anything else (even the most seemingly obvious), please throw at me!

Limbonic art?

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:15 am 

Carbone wrote:

Check out the first two Dimmu Borgir albums: 'For All Tid' and 'Stormblast'. You cant go wrong with those ;) .

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:16 am 

I've tried some depressive black metal and while I like the idea of it, the vocals never clicked with me. Any of these bands out there with as ''normal'' black metal vocals as possible? Not over the top, not too suffocated and with few/no effects used on them.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:38 pm 

colin040 wrote:
I've tried some depressive black metal and while I like the idea of it, the vocals never clicked with me. Any of these bands out there with as ''normal'' black metal vocals as possible? Not over the top, not too suffocated and with few/no effects used on them.

It depends what you classify as 'normal BM vocals'? Burzum-esque vocals or Darkthrone-esque vocals?

Try Abyssic Hate - Suicidal Emotions.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 142  Next