Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:45 am 

EverSoSentient wrote:
I've got something special in mind here. From the country black metal thread a few days ago I found out about Blood Cult. Now I want more in the same vein. Black Metal infused with traditional heavy metal and southern rock, but still keeping that old-school BM vibe and not too far towards the sludge end of the spectrum.

Well, Blood Cult are interesting to say the least. But this sound is very, very rare.

So, I did a search for you (cause I admit that I didn't even knew such combo would exist) and I came up with Peril.

Peril differ from Blood Cult to the fact that they are not straight-up Black Metal but Black / Death Metal. They are good though. Listen to Immortal Storms in their myspace. Here's the link -> http://www.myspace.com/perilmusic

http://www.metalfighters.com/

NokturnalSakrifice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:03 pm 

That Eastern European folk metal sound is my new addiction. Can anyone reccomend some bands similiar to Temnozor or Volkolak?
Member #1 of the Folk Metal Preservation Army!

DemonicaSuccubus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:56 pm 

Augury
http://www.myspace.com/augury

wagontrain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:56 pm 

There have been a flood of recommendations for other requests, but not a single one for this that was any good in my opinion.

Kruel wrote:
Great thread. I want extremely hateful black metal, in the vein of Belketre and Mutiilation; insane vocals and raw production are required. I haven't found a single band more hateful than the two I mentioned, so I'll be grateful if someone can find something more hateful.

You've gotten some recommendations that might make you say "yeah, I guess this is relatively hateful...". Here are some that will make you say "holy shit, that is exactly what I was looking for".

Dark Tribe - In Jerasputna :: This is the undisputed master of hateful black metal in my book. It blows everything else away. Guaranteed you haven't heard anything like it before. This recommendation comes before all others.

Seigneur Voland - Last Stand :: Pretty much a french LLN clone, except they are NSBM. Very hateful, like a mix between Belketre but with some Vlad Tepes melody.

Sacrificia Mortuorum - Maturum Est :: Another french NSBM band with extremely raw production, they have a more original sound though. Very melodic but scorching leads, absolutely scathing vocals.

Sortsind - Sar :: This is a must-listen simply for the vocals. They are as insane and hateful as it gets. The music itself is not quite at the same level of belligerence as Belketre, but then again Mutiilation music isn't terribly aggressive either. It's worth a listen, trust me.

Wold - Screech Owl :: This band really distorts the line between black metal and black noise. Raw doesn't begin to describe the production. Every part of this music is literally extreme. Most would probably say it isn't even music. Anyway, there is lots of screaming, and it is disturbing to say the least.

Hope this helps.

Cretinhopper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:27 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:

Well, I'd buy Slava Yarile too if I ever had the chance because it's an awesome album but I have to warn you that it is a straight-up Folk album. No Metal traces at all.

I like folk music, but I'm not a big fan of acoustic instruments in metal.

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Don't worry. I will upload the Cd and I will send it to you.

Great, thanks.

NokturnalSakrifice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:50 pm 

DemonicaSuccubus wrote:

It doesn't sound like what I'm looking for, but it's pretty good anyway.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:51 pm 

You'll like Kroda.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:57 pm 

I was about to say. Check out Alkonost and Dub Buk as well.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:06 pm 

Cretinhopper wrote:

I like folk music, but I'm not a big fan of acoustic instruments in metal.

Don't worry. Slava Yarile has nothing to do with Metal so you'll like it as it is straight-up Folk music.

Cretinhopper wrote:
Great, thanks.

I will upload it tommorow morning :)

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:07 am 

Lord_Hate wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Great thread. I want extremely hateful black metal, in the vein of Belketre and Mutiilation; insane vocals and raw production are required. I haven't found a single band more hateful than the two I mentioned, so I'll be grateful if someone can find something more hateful.

Try other LLN bands. Seviss, Torture, and Torgeist are all on par with Belketre and Mutillation in terms of rawness and hatefulness.

I'm sorry this is a little off topic, but when I saw your post you had 666 posts. I just thought that was cool..
I apologize for the spam.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:09 am 

Mezentus wrote:
I'm sorry this is a little off topic, but when I saw your post you had 666 posts. I just thought that was cool..

Actually it's a good point since he is infamous for making a new account once he reaches 666 posts on an account and leaving the old one. I wonder what's he's new account.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:57 am 

Kruel wrote:
Mezentus wrote:

Actually it's a good point since he is infamous for making a new account once he reaches 666 posts on an account and leaving the old one. I wonder what's he's new account.

Oh, haha. Well a newbie has already learned something new.

DemonicaSuccubus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:13 pm 

try these then :)

Magister Dixit
http://www.myspace.com/magisterdixit

Spirit of the Forest
http://www.myspace.com/spiritoftheforest

Mord
http://www.myspace.com/666mord

Superior Enlightment
http://www.myspace.com/superiorenlightenment

NokturnalSakrifice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:14 pm 

DemonicaSuccubus wrote:

Suprisingly enough, these bands from Quebec, Cananda just don't capture the Eastern European sound I'm looking for. Thanks anyway, they are good.

Edit:

rexxz wrote:
You'll like Kroda.

Yeah, I knew of them, never really gave them a listen, thanks.

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
I was about to say. Check out Alkonost and Dub Buk as well.

I heard of Dub Buk as well, but once again never really gave them a listen. I have never heard of Alkonost at all, so thank you very much, I'll look into both bands.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:20 pm 

Goddamnit, I'm gonna go apeshit if you bitches don't start recommending me some Pagan/Viking Black Metal right now.

NokturnalSakrifice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:31 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Goddamnit, I'm gonna go apeshit if you bitches don't start recommending me some Pagan/Viking Black Metal right now.

Well... what bands do you like from that genre? That would make things easier and nobody will recommend a band you already listen to.

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:36 pm 

Windir is really good.

Enslaved is also really awesome, their first album Vikingligr Veldi is a masterpiece.

Last edited by morfumax on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:37 pm 

My post is about half way up on the third page.

You don't have to read it, I'm just butthurt because no one has given me any recs yet :(

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:43 pm 

Listen to some Die Saat and shut up.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:43 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:

Try Oakhelm

Also I really like Darkestrah, though they have little to do with vikings :p

NokturnalSakrifice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:44 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
My post is about half way up on the third page.

You don't have to read it, I'm just butthurt because no one has given me any recs yet :(

Oh, well I guess Temnozor would fit that profile a little, the singer is pure awesomeness, nothing special to his vocals, but I love it.

This is a great thread, I've been enjoying M8L8TH and am going to check out all the other bands with "crazy" vocals. The funny thing is I can actually understand their crazy screams better than I can some black metal. :lol:

PlagueRages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:47 pm 

I listen to a few BM bands, but I'm looking for more albums in the vein of Gorgoroth's Under The Sign Of Hell, which I fucking love, I'm more of a death/thrash metal fan so I don't know much about the Black Metal genre really. Anybody got any suggestions?

Dettigers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:51 pm 

Ok I would like to ask this I want to try out a few Black Metal bands. But I don't want to be to anti-religion. Are there any Black Metal bands out there like that?

NokturnalSakrifice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:56 pm 

PlagueRages wrote:
I listen to a few BM bands, but I'm looking for more albums in the vein of Gorgoroth's Under The Sign Of Hell, which I fucking love, I'm more of a death/thrash metal fan so I don't know much about the Black Metal genre really. Anybody got any suggestions?

I know what you mean, I used to not know anything about black metal, I just looked through the Norwegian classics and developed a taste for it.

You should check out some Darkthrone obviously, if you haven't already, 'Under A Funeral Moon' has turned out to be one of my favorite albums.

You should also check out Illnath, it has some death metal vocals, some black metal, and it can hold your attention easily, I like it, although it has some bad reviews on this site.

It seems as though I'm whoring out Temnozor, but I love that Eastern European sound as I have stated a couple posts up, you might want to check into some folk/black metal, I know it's not what you are looking for, but it helped me appreciate the whole black metal genre a lot more.

EDIT:

Dettigers wrote:
Ok I would like to ask this I want to try out a few Black Metal bands. But I don't want to be to anti-religion. Are there any Black Metal bands out there like that?

Sucks to be you, there's not a lot of metal, let alone black metal, that's not anti-religous. You might want to check out Eucharist, they're listed as melodic death metal, but his vocals make me point more toward black metal. They're a pretty good band, and their guitarist knows what he's doing. Their lyrical themes are : Spirituality, Philosophy, Obscure Metaphors.

I'm sure the other members here can help you way more than I can.

Gothbag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:18 pm 

It's curious to see this post now because on Saturday I discovered the first black metal song I like. "A Seed for Suffering" by Nachtmystium is very cool. I'd like to find more bands like them please.

NokturnalSakrifice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:26 pm 

Gothbag wrote:
It's curious to see this post now because on Saturday I discovered the first black metal song I like. "A Seed for Suffering" by Nachtmystium is very cool. I'd like to find more bands like them please.

Well first off you should check out the rest of the Instinct Decay album, I've been told it is very good, and Dawn's Slaughtersun is fucking awesome also.

The song that got me really liking and exploring black metal was Interstellar Overdrive by Limbonic Art, so check them out if you would like.

Another band that I love that got me into black metal, and helped develop my love for the Eastern European sound is Nokturnal Mortum, so you should check them out too.

Gothbag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:03 pm 

NokturnalSakrifice wrote:
Gothbag wrote:

Well first off you should check out the rest of the Instinct Decay album, I've been told it is very good, and Dawn's Slaughtersun is fucking awesome also.

The song that got me really liking and exploring black metal was Interstellar Overdrive by Limbonic Art, so check them out if you would like.

Another band that I love that got me into black metal, and helped develop my love for the Eastern European sound is Nokturnal Mortum, so you should check them out too.

This Slaughtersun has at least one song which is cool. I'll have to check out more. I'll check the other things.

Thanks for advice

NokturnalSakrifice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:05 pm 

Gothbag wrote:
NokturnalSakrifice wrote:
Gothbag wrote:

This Slaughtersun has at least one song which is cool. I'll have to check out more. I'll check the other things.

Thanks for advice

No problem, I seem to be pretty active in this thread right now. :D

MoDoS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:35 am 

Can anyone recommend anything similar to Australia's VORAK ?

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:50 pm 

Well, I made a hole new thread abot this request, and then I remembered about this thread, so here I go again (hoping that the other thread is already locked)
Well, what I'm looking for is some kind of mixture of moder Ulver with some Burzum, what I mean, the chilling and sad mood that Burzum gives to the BM moments (specially from Filosofem era), and the warmness that modern Ulver has. I don´t know if such thing exists...
Not hearsay but the will of man

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:04 pm 

Vinterriket might be up your alley.

More on the pure ambient side, but I'd also look into Endvra, since I find it to be very similar to Varg's ambient albums, with some of the 'warmness' you ascribe to later Ulver.

Velvet Cacoon and Procer Veneficus both blend ambient and BM. If you check out VC, only listen to Genevieve; all their other albums are terrible.

None of these recommendations are similar to any other, so I hope one of these works for you. Happy hunting.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:19 pm 

DBettino wrote:

More on the pure ambient side, but I'd also look into Endvra, since I find it to be very similar to Varg's ambient albums, with some of the 'warmness' you ascribe to later Ulver.

Velvet Cacoon and Procer Veneficus both blend ambient and BM. If you check out VC, only listen to Genevieve; all their other albums are terrible.

None of these recommendations are similar to any other, so I hope one of these works for you. Happy hunting.

Thank you mr. I'll check 'em out and then, will let you know...
Not hearsay but the will of man

woeoftyrants
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:35 pm 

I consider myself pretty familiar with the genre, but I'd really like to expand my horizons more in the underground.

I've really gotten into Sargeist in the past few months; Satanic Black Devotion has become a huge favorite of mine, and I'd really like to find more material like the title track from the album or the song "Sargeist" itself.

Another point of interest for me is the more dirty, filthy type of material like Craft and Nattefrost. For a long time, I've heard about a lot of the newer bands from Finland following this more mid-paced, riff-oriented type of style. (I guess you could say Black'n'Roll for lack of a better term, but whatever.) Could someone give me a foothold with these Finnish bands, and where to start?

I'm also a huge fan of Krieg's Destruction Ritual and Antaeus' Cut Your Flesh and Worship Satan; so if there is anything that is totally chaotic and nihilistic, recommend me something.

Thanks!

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:50 pm 

DBettino wrote:

Procer Veneficus is easilly one of my favorite musical projects at the moment. Although I haven't heard that much (Ghostvoices, Astral Birth, The Red Dream), but Ghostvoices is ridiculously good. Also, this week I should be receiving Duskworlds and Lunar Transit!

Astral Birth was also out of this world.

Xusnahk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:56 pm 

I'm also pretty much familiar with the genre of Underground Black Metal.
There are two bands I was hoping someone could find equivalents to.
I've been listening to Angantyr for a while now, and the song Stormen Fra Nord took me away. The sound of the guitar, the speed, everything was amazing. Is there any band like this?
Also, the Italian Black Metal band Grendel.
Their mixture of heavily fast guitars, amazing drums, and fast double-bass attracted me to them.
They've split apart, and aren't making music for the time being.
You can listen to a song at
www.myspace.com/rawblackmetal
It's my friends music myspace, the song is called Of Blood And Glory.
Also, you can find it on my myspace
www.myspace.com/xusnahk
Is there any band that can equal Grendel?
Any band that can equal Grendel, or a band that can equal Angantyr?
Thanks.
-Xusnahk

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:19 pm 

Woeoftyrants, listen to Xibalba's Ah Dzam Poop Ek for harsh, thrashy BM with excellent riffs. I looooove this album...gave it a 95. :p

MoDoS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:28 pm 

woeoftyrants wrote:
I consider myself pretty familiar with the genre, but I'd really like to expand my horizons more in the underground.

I've really gotten into Sargeist in the past few months; Satanic Black Devotion has become a huge favorite of mine, and I'd really like to find more material like the title track from the album or the song "Sargeist" itself.

Another point of interest for me is the more dirty, filthy type of material like Craft and Nattefrost. For a long time, I've heard about a lot of the newer bands from Finland following this more mid-paced, riff-oriented type of style. (I guess you could say Black'n'Roll for lack of a better term, but whatever.) Could someone give me a foothold with these Finnish bands, and where to start?

I'm also a huge fan of Krieg's Destruction Ritual and Antaeus' Cut Your Flesh and Worship Satan; so if there is anything that is totally chaotic and nihilistic, recommend me something.

Thanks!

The debut self-titled album by the Russian group FOREST always reminds me of Imperial's sound.
Also, the album 'Live from the Woods' by the Czech Republic's INFERNO always reminds my ears of KREIG's 'Kill Yourself or Someone You Love'.

Cretinhopper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:45 pm 

woeoftyrants wrote:

Bloodhammer is exactly what you're looking for. Their debut album is great, very filthy black/thrash. Their later works are more mid-paced.

You could like Archgoat. I'm not very familiar with them, but I've heard much praise.

EDIT: Ah, just noticed you are looking for mid-paced stuff.

Mors_Gloria wrote:
I will upload it tommorow morning :)

Well? :confused:

Last edited by Cretinhopper on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:35 pm 

Cretinhopper wrote:

Well? :confused:

Sorry, I was offline. I will upload it now. I'll sent you the link in approximately 30 minutes.

Xusnahk, Of Blood & Glory is an excellent song. Congratulations for that discovery :bow:

NokturnalSakrifice, thanks a lot for helping in this thread :thumbsup:

ThrashingMad, Pagan reccomendation are on their way. Just give me some time. About your second want you can look the bands that were reccomended to Jonpo ;)

Dettigers, you can always check out some Christian BM bands. Antestor, Vaakevandring, Arvinger and Holy Blood are decent bands. But they're just bands from the top of my head so I guess some research is needed. I'll ask a friend of mine who is deeply into Christian BM about that. I only know the basics about it.

EDIT: ThrashingMad, change of plans. Full Pagan recs tommorow. I have to study for an exam.

For now check out Streben, Ha Lela and Kamaedzitca.

Kamaedzitca link to sendspace -> http://www.sendspace.com/file/32q4dx (remove it if against the rules)

Streben link to myspace -> http://www.myspace.com/strebenband

Last edited by Mors_Gloria on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cretinhopper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:12 pm 

I'll give it a listen tomorrow.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 142  Next