Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:17 pm 

I recently came across with bands like Kruelty, No Zodiac, Xibalba, Eternal Suffering, Pyrexia, and others who mixed death metal or brutal death metal with hardcore and they do it in a way which is not similar to deathcore, but rather death metal with a hardcore background, lots of chuggs, lots of breakdowns, lots of slam style riffs. I wanted to know if you guys know bands that play this particular style, they can be new like Kruelty, or 90s stuff like Pyrexia or Eternal Suffering.

I will put some albums to show you what I mean by this sound.

Spoiler: show

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:39 am 

Deformity - Murder Within Sin
Red Sky - Knife Behind the Smile
Day of Suffering - The Eternal Jihad
Apostle - Dusk for Convenience
Upheaval - Downfall of the Ascendency of Man

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:45 am 

Check out Mongrel - Off the Leash! I know you're asking for death metal, but if you like thrash metal try Liar's Tongue - Threat of Intellect as well!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:51 pm 

Morser

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:02 pm 

Mörser is a great shout, but only the first album. Their other records lack the magic.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:19 pm 

For anyone who likes this style, I discovered a few bands that sound pretty badass.

Vomit Forth - Seething Malevolence

This album is a mix between brutal death metal in the 90s style with a lot of hardcore influence, pretty good record. If you guys liked No Zodiac this probably will meet your ally.

Moment Of Truth - A Call Beyond

This one is a lot more beatdown hardcore, but it has a lot of death metal elements. If you like this stuff you probably are going to like them

Dyingrace - Only The Determined Path Remains

Awesome mix of death metal, hardcore, and sludge. It's a 1999 album but it sounds like it was made yesterday.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:27 pm 

I also discovered these ones but I yet have to listen to them. If you know one feel free to comment and share your thoughts.

Creeping Death, Mercy Blow, Disgrace, Enemy Mind, Spinebreaker

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:21 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
Morser

robotiq wrote:
Mörser is a great shout, but only the first album. Their other records lack the magic.

I listened to Mörser, great band. I found them to be a little bit more grindcore than death metal, I like them, they are more in the style of something like Nails, Rotten Sound, or Nasum. I dig that style, I was looking for something a little bit more death metal, but if you guys are also into grindcore it's pretty cool to me too.

I know that grindcore is the most extreme form of hardcore, and it is also mixed with death metal in a way, good recommendation.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:21 pm 

One of the ambiguities of the thread-title is that there are so many ways in which hardcore has influenced death metal (since the beginning of death metal). Almost all of the original death metal scene was influenced by hardcore in some way or another (particularly the Scandinavian death metal bands). You could take a record like Deviated Instinct's "Guttural Breath" as an ultimate example of death metal played by a punk band.

Some other synergies that I find interesting include early 90s stuff like Taste of Fear which featured guys from Citizens Arrest, and later linked to OSDM-revival originators like Funebrarum and Innumerable Forms. Around the same time there was more overtly NYHC-ish 'death/hardcore' like Confusion's "Taste of Hate" seven-inch and Darkside NYC (whose best stuff is collected on the "Ambitions Make Way for Dread" comp). Over on the West Coast, the first Plutocracy demo ("Progress?") was amazing hardcore-influenced death metal.

Bands like Morser, as you say, are more grindcore - influenced by Carcass, Napalm and plenty of death metal, as well as hardcore bands like Rorschach. The Bremen scene from which they formed is one of the best synergies of hardcore and extreme metal ever, including Systral, Carol and the mighty Acme (long before Nails and even Nasum existed).

Personally, stuff like Dyingrace and Xibabla doesn't float my boat. I prefer Deformity because they made actual death metal. However, there was a cool NYC band called Beneath the Remains from the late 90s who made an EP called "Quest for Lost Souls" (which is good). I also remember seeing a French band called Drowning live back in the late nineties. Based on what you list above, you should certainly check their 1999 EP out:

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:30 pm 

robotiq wrote:
One of the ambiguities of the thread-title is that there are so many ways in which hardcore has influenced death metal (since the beginning of death metal). Almost all of the original death metal scene was influenced by hardcore in some way or another (particularly the Scandinavian death metal bands). You could take a record like Deviated Instinct's "Guttural Breath" as an ultimate example of death metal played by a punk band.

Some other synergies that I find interesting include early 90s stuff like Taste of Fear which featured guys from Citizens Arrest, and later linked to OSDM-revival originators like Funebrarum and Innumerable Forms. Around the same time there was more overtly NYHC-ish 'death/hardcore' like Confusion's "Taste of Hate" seven-inch and Darkside NYC (whose best stuff is collected on the "Ambitions Make Way for Dread" comp). Over on the West Coast, the first Plutocracy demo ("Progress?") was amazing hardcore-influenced death metal.

Bands like Morser, as you say, are more grindcore - influenced by Carcass, Napalm and plenty of death metal, as well as hardcore bands like Rorschach. The Bremen scene from which they formed is one of the best synergies of hardcore and extreme metal ever, including Systral, Carol and the mighty Acme (long before Nails and even Nasum existed).

Personally, stuff like Dyingrace and Xibabla doesn't float my boat. I prefer Deformity because they made actual death metal. However, there was a cool NYC band called Beneath the Remains from the late 90s who made an EP called "Quest for Lost Souls" (which is good). I also remember seeing a French band called Drowning live back in the late nineties. Based on what you list above, you should certainly check their 1999 EP out:

Man what an awesome post and response. Thank you. I don't know most of the bands that you listed so I gonna do some good music research and listen to all these bands. Rorschach is named a lot in the forum, I will check them out since I really love Watchmen, both the comicbook and the movie. Love that Drowning EP, it's so cool that this style of death metal/hardcore is still thriving to this day and age.

This album is badass as fuck, really what I was looking for brother.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:40 pm 

I love that Deformity album, the EP is great too ("Misanthrope"). I love the way they strip death metal down to the bones and get rid of all the solos but keep the aggression.
There was a big scene in Flanders/Belgium at the time, late 90s, all playing this kind of metal-influenced hardcore which you might call metalcore. Most of it has aged badly, but there are some records that still sound great. Aside from the two Deformity records mentioned above, there was Liar's "Invictus" and Congress "The Other Cheek". Those two bands were not death metal like Deformity but had plenty of anger and aggression. They all shared members. I really like the way they mixed stuff like Integrity/Ringworm with Slayer and Kreator. All those bands were animal rights/vegan messages and straightedge and all that. Was a whole scene/vibe.

The American equivalent was represented by a band called Abnegation who later turned into a (bad) death metal band. That Day of Suffering record I mentioned was kinda the continuation of that, like a death metal version of Earth Crisis and Abnegation. That first Red Sky record features members of Abnegation too, similar thing, very death metal influenced. There were some questionable lyrical topics on some Abnegation and DoS songs - I guess it was a different time and place, many of the members have perspective now (for example, Day of Suffering choosing only to play the instrumental intro to "Elegy" on their reunion shows, rather than the song itself).
There were hundreds of obscure bands doing this kind of thing around the world, most of them had aged so badly it is untrue, but I still play the best bands sometimes. They have a genuine righteous rage which isn't present in a lot of death metal.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:23 pm 

maybe Structure of Lies, but not their demo. The demo is the stepping stone from Unruh to more metal and less HC.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/606228-Structure-Of-Lies

back to Morser for a moment...I find their latter releases to be more and more deathy as they go. Give Pure Scum and 1st Class Suicide a go.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:12 pm 

This might be a bit of a curveball, but I've always found Asphyx's "God Cries" album to have an almost HC feel to it. Like, a certain snappy punchiness that is different from their other material. Possibly not what you're after, but worth a mention.

http://youtu.be/EeEPR72fumU?si=8f2eX8d1OxN_58mU

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:18 pm 

robotiq wrote:
I love that Deformity album, the EP is great too ("Misanthrope"). I love the way they strip death metal down to the bones and get rid of all the solos but keep the aggression.
There was a big scene in Flanders/Belgium at the time, late 90s, all playing this kind of metal-influenced hardcore which you might call metalcore. Most of it has aged badly, but there are some records that still sound great. Aside from the two Deformity records mentioned above, there was Liar's "Invictus" and Congress "The Other Cheek". Those two bands were not death metal like Deformity but had plenty of anger and aggression. They all shared members. I really like the way they mixed stuff like Integrity/Ringworm with Slayer and Kreator. All those bands were animal rights/vegan messages and straightedge and all that. Was a whole scene/vibe.

The American equivalent was represented by a band called Abnegation who later turned into a (bad) death metal band. That Day of Suffering record I mentioned was kinda the continuation of that, like a death metal version of Earth Crisis and Abnegation. That first Red Sky record features members of Abnegation too, similar thing, very death metal influenced. There were some questionable lyrical topics on some Abnegation and DoS songs - I guess it was a different time and place, many of the members have perspective now (for example, Day of Suffering choosing only to play the instrumental intro to "Elegy" on their reunion shows, rather than the song itself).
There were hundreds of obscure bands doing this kind of thing around the world, most of them had aged so badly it is untrue, but I still play the best bands sometimes. They have a genuine righteous rage which isn't present in a lot of death metal.

This is some quality hardcore/death metal man, you understood me perfectly. Love all the albums that you recommend me. I read a little bit about the Flanders/Belgium scene thanks to the Deformity album, They were called H8000, pretty cool stuff love to see hardcore scenes around the world and if they are mixed with metal, it's a blast for me. Please if you remember something good that you listen to, pass me those bands since we have a very similar musical taste. Thanks for all the info man, much appreciated.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:27 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
maybe Structure of Lies, but not their demo. The demo is the stepping stone from Unruh to more metal and less HC.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/606228-Structure-Of-Lies

back to Morser for a moment...I find their latter releases to be more and more deathy as they go. Give Pure Scum and 1st Class Suicide a go.

Love this stuff really heavy, bouncing-back death metal. It cost me a little to find the music of Structure of Lies, seems that there isn't much information about them online. I listened to the split that they have with a grindcore band called Iranach, pretty good stuff man. I will listen to the other stuff that they made if can find it.

As for Mörser I will definitively check those albums, since I only listened to the first one and I like it very much, I am also into grindcore, powerviolence and that kind of fast and killer music.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:32 pm 

balbulus wrote:
This might be a bit of a curveball, but I've always found Asphyx's "God Cries" album to have an almost HC feel to it. Like, a certain snappy punchiness that is different from their other material. Possibly not what you're after, but worth a mention.

http://youtu.be/EeEPR72fumU?si=8f2eX8d1OxN_58mU

I love Asphyx man, one my favorite death metal bands. All kind of death metal is welcome here, so glad that you guys comment and recommend stuff, that's the only reason why I made the thread. Love God Cries, is a really badass album, I usually only listen to The Rack, Deathhammer and Last One on Earth but I will check it again, Asphyx never disappoints.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:37 pm 

I love that Structure of Lies split (their side only, because Iranach sucks). To bring the conversation full-circle, one song on that split is a cover of Deviated Instinct from their "Guttural Breath" album, with added blastbeats. I don't like the other SoL stuff so much as that split.

Switching lanes/scenes, I think Abnegation are worth hearing but only one or two songs. They did a song called "Hopes of Harmony" from the "Stones to Mark a Fire" compilation. It sounds amazing, totally ugly and horrible death metal/core from 1995-ish. They later re-recorded the song for their LP but the early version is the one to hear:

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:58 pm 

robotiq wrote:
I love that Structure of Lies split (their side only, because Iranach sucks). To bring the conversation full-circle, one song on that split is a cover of Deviated Instinct from their "Guttural Breath" album, with added blastbeats. I don't like the other SoL stuff so much as that split.

Switching lanes/scenes, I think Abnegation are worth hearing but only one or two songs. They did a song called "Hopes of Harmony" from the "Stones to Mark a Fire" compilation. It sounds amazing, totally ugly and horrible death metal/core from 1995-ish. They later re-recorded the song for their LP but the early version is the one to hear:

Really cool stuff man, I will listen to a little bit more of Abnegation since I pretty much loved that song that you posted. Iam listening to this EP right here.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:14 pm 

Band from my nation, they play this style.

Erreplas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:16 pm 

Check this one out.
It will rip your face off.

https://open.spotify.com/intl-es/album/ ... NUgwC6AtPQ

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:26 pm 

There's a fair bit of Swedish HC that might be of interest. A lot of those guys flipflopped all over the place between punk and metal, often being in both types of bands and blurring styles. Driller Killer. Dellamorte. Cumbrage (check out their CD-only album on youtube). Visions (only had two demos, but I believe both recorded and mastered by Dan Swano). Asocial (the later stuff, not the early). Uncanny. Morkhimmel - Zloskrivec from Czech Republic.

and the Bolt Thrower worshipping crusters would be a whole other realm if that style interests you.

Reply to topic